JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

We learn that David’s character in the incident with Nabal and Abigail that he can become hot headed. That he can be insulted and is ready to kill somebody for that insult.

We learn that Abigail’s character is one of quick thinking and acting so that she can protect the one that she loves. She will do what it takes to make peace. But Nabal’s character is one of being selfish and hard hearted. He probably wouldn’t do anything for anybody.

I think that the story was included in 1 Samuel to give us a lesson on vow keeping and to show that even the hero’s of the story are human and they can become angry. But we must control our anger. It is also one in keeping the peace and how it can affect others.

What do we learn about David’s character in this incident with Nabal and Abigail?

1. We learn that David is human and not perfect. He allowed his position get the best of him.

What do we learn about Abigail’s character?

2. Abigail was wise and humble. She was smart and came up with a plan to save she and her family.

Nabal’s character?

3. Nabal was insulting and a fool.

Why do you think this story was included in 1 Samuel? What important knowledge does it add to our understanding?

4. I think that the story was included reminds us that we need to stay in God's word. Our flesh will sometimes get the best of us. The least little petty thing can cause us to respond negatively. Also, God puts people in our life to help us make the right decisions and we should heed to them. Women played important roles during bibilical time.

Q3. (1 Samuel 25) What do we learn about David’s character in this incident with Nabal and Abigail? What do we learn about Abigail’s character? Nabal’s character? Why do you think this story was included in 1 Samuel? What important knowledge does it add to our understanding?

David followed the Lord's request and was refused. Abigails character was more of no bloodguilt on her land, her husband was the opposite demanding vingence. Abigail provided a way for David not killing her husband. It is given in this story was more about murder since Numbers had just set up the commandment

Q3. (1 Samuel 25)

What do we learn about David's character in this incident with Nabal and Abigail?

He was quick to anger. Get mad and ask questions later type of person.

What do we learn about Abigail's character?

She had common sense and knew how to treat different personalities and when to humble herself.

Nabal's character?

Sounds like he was born into money and had no direct experience with dealing with people. He just cast them out of his sight. He was awfully “me” centered. He thought his position and wealth would scare others away who might threaten him.

Why do you think this story was included in 1 Samuel?

Just as it took 40 years to get the Israelites leaving Egypt ready to enter Canaan, it took awhile to get David ready to be King of Israel. This story showed how David grew up spiritually during this time running from Saul.

What important knowledge does it add to our understanding?

We are a work in progress. When we learn new knowledge about ourselves pertaining to obeying God and doing what is right then we need to change and do it. God is displeased with our sin but how happy he must be when we listen to him and turn from doing wrong.

http://www.joyfulheart.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1174

A. David wanted to put the law in his hand to do evil but the coming of Abigail stopped it and he also have a forgiven spirit

B. Abigail proofed to be a noble wife that interceeds for her family

C .nabal behaved as his name goes FOOLISH. he was also a stingy man

D.To know how Abigail came into David`s life

E. we should leave vengeance to God

What do we learn about David's character in this incident with Nabal and Abigail? What do we learn about Abigail's character? Nabal's character? Why do you think this story was included in 1 Samuel? What important knowledge does it add to our understanding?

We see a complete turnaround in David's character in this incident. Earlier we saw David as humble, respectful and righteous. However when Nabal insulted him, David became so angry that he wanted to take 400 of his men to slaughter Nabal and plunder all he has. He allowed his anger to get the better of him and didnt stop to think as he made a foolish vow that God should deal with him severely if he didnt kill every male in Nabal's family.

Abigail was a woman of strong character. When she heard of her husband's foolishness, she took action immediately to appease David. She brought many gifts as a peace offering, asking for forgiveness on behalf of her husband. She was also intelligent as she appealed to David to consider his righteous standing with Yahweh. Thus I cannot understand how she ended up marrying someone as foolish as Nabal !!!!!

Nabal was foolish and rude, perhaps even self-righteous. A good lesson for parents to be very careful how they name their children. Proverbs 17:28 says Even a fool is thought wise if he keeps silent, and discerning if he holds his tongue. I think he is one of those who shoots off his mouth without thinking.

I think this story tells us that we need to depend on God at all times to do the right thing. David stayed close to God but for one moment, he allowed anger to rule him. God was faithful to send Abigail. Abigail could have had fainting spells but instead armed with the wisdom of God managed to soothe David's ruffed feathers and prevented a bloodshed. Nabal obviously did not seek God's counsel. He preferred to spend his time drinking.

What we learn about David's character in this incident with Nabal and Abigail is, he was quick to seek revenge because of Nabal's insult, yet was willing to have a change of heart when Abigail brought gifts of provisions in apology to her husband's behavior.

What we learn of Abigail's character is, she was a wise and sensible woman.

What we learn of Nabal's character is,he is a greedy and selfish person.

I think this story was included in 1 Samuel because to show how easy it is to fall into sin when one makes a rash vow. Because of Abigail's wise intervention, David was able to not act on his vow to destroy Nabal's entire household. The story also gives us background as to how Abigail became one of David's wives.

Q3. (1 Samuel 25)

What do we learn about David's character in this incident with Nabal and Abigail?

He was quick to anger. Get mad and ask questions later type of person.

What do we learn about Abigail's character?

She had common sense and knew how to treat different personalities and when to humble herself.

Nabal's character?

Sounds like he was born into money and had no direct experience with dealing with people. He just cast them out of his sight. He was awfully “me” centered. He thought his position and wealth would scare others away who might threaten him.

Just as it took 40 years to get the Israelites leaving Egypt ready to enter Canaan, it took awhile to get David ready to be King of Israel. This story showed how David grew up spiritually during this time running from Saul.

We are a work in progress. When we learn new knowledge about ourselves pertaining to obeying God and doing what is right then we need to change and do it. God is displeased with our sin but how happy he must be when we listen to him and turn from doing wrong.

http://www.joyfulheart.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1174

• 2 weeks later...

Q3. (1 Samuel 25) What do we learn about David’s character in this incident with Nabal and Abigail? What do we learn about Abigail’s character? Nabal’s character? Why do you think this story was included in 1 Samuel? What important knowledge does it add to our understanding?

Nabal very wealthy. He had a thousand goats and three thousand sheep, which he was shearing in Carmel. His name was Nabal and his wife’s name was Abigail. She was an intelligent and beautiful woman, but her husband was surly and mean in his dealings—he was a Calebite.

David's character was one of honesty, trustworthiness and a strong follower of Christ. Abigail's character was outstanding. I am not quite sure why after the King's death she married David, but she did.

• 4 weeks later...

:wub: What I learn from daivd in this that even though he was a man of

God, he can to angry because what he ask for was not given to him

after all the protect he give to this man.his wife knew of the foolish of

he husband and the good that daivd had done and give them food

she have a good heart and she know daivd was a man of God and

the anoint that was on his life.Her huband was a foolish person and very selfish.

It was put in the story to show how you can do all for a person and they

will forget the thing you have done and the aniont that may be on your

life.

• 3 weeks later...

Q3. (1 Samuel 25)

What do we learn about David’s character in this incident with Nabal and Abigail?

What do we learn about Abigail’s character?

Nabal’s character?

a. David was human and could be fast to anger for what he felt was

injust or an insult. Fortunately David was also fair, kind to people in need,

and righteous, but he was also a warrior for the Lord. This may have

begin the turning point for David, because before he refused to kill Saul,

and here he was ready to commit murder over an insult.

b. Abigail was a woman of wisdom and spiritual strength. She was nobel

and humble and yet was strong enough to ask forgivness for Nabal's

mistakes in dealing with David, and in feeding the men who followed him.

c. Nabal was rude and insulting to David's men.as he refused David's

request for what ever Nabal could find for them. He was unhonorable

because he knew David had watched over him and allowed nothing

to cause him to loose his property. David's men could have taken what

they wanted or needed to eat well, but did not.

d. Two reasons stand out to me as to why this story was included in

1 Samuel:

David met Abigail and she shouwed him by her actions she was a fair and

humble person, willing to go against Nabal in this matter. the second reason

is that we should ask God for guidence before making rash decisions on our

own. This most often leads to mistakes and troubles.

e. The most important thing it asks is that we should pray, and seek God

and what He wants us to do. When we try to do "for ourselves" we make

weak, foolish decisions when we leave God out of our problems. God

will watch over us and protecte us and He will seek punishment of the offender

in His own way and time. I also think that this may be showing us the beginning

of a change in David, he refused to lay a hand of Saul, but was willing to kill

Nabal for refusing supplies for his men.

NabalQ3. (1 Samuel 25) What do we learn about David’s character in this incident with Nabal and Abigail? What do we learn about Abigail’s character? Nabal’s character? Why do you think this story was included in 1 Samuel? What important knowledge does it add to our understanding? It was obvious after God punished Nabal that we must learn to be reasonable, and kind to others, especially to those who have helped us along the way. The foolish stone heart of Nabal was asking for destruction. His wife only delayed the process. When she found him drunk, it was clear he was insensitive to the help he got from David. It is like him ignoring the reality of the power of David and the need to support him. He paid the price. God expects us to hear Him call us to be kind and give to others what they deserve, and to do it with a good heart. In such way we can safely follow Abigail's actions, which were to save her husband. God had other plans for this good and Godly woman, to become David's wife, and ad moral value to his family.

Q3. (1 Samuel 25) What do we learn about David's character in this incident with Nabal and Abigail?

We have many examples of how David listened to God, and how it helped his life and those around him. His character was often tested and this is a good example of how he took the time to listen and perceive that a wise woman was giving him good advice to curb his anger and taste for vengence.

What do we learn about Abigail's character? Nabal's character?

Abigail was a Godly and wise woman, she had God in her heart and was humble in her offering to David, and he could appreaciate her wisdom and advice.

Nabal is the example of a person far from God, and the consequences of His selfish actions and foolish habits were demonstratd along with God's timing.

Why do you think this story was included in 1 Samuel? What important knowledge does it add to our understanding?

This story shows that God's timing is perfect, and the consequences of our sins will be deadly if we remain far from God in our daily habits, and thoughts. We desperately need to sek Him, stay close to Him, let Him lead us to maintain good habits, and to profit from the blessings He'll give if we only learn to listen and obey. We can expect to be tested in trials, it is the only way to grow.

• 2 months later...

3a)David relents from attacking Nabal his land &family, when he refuses to give David provisions for his men out of Nabal’s wealth of listock etc. He thanks Abigail for her reminders that he as future king should not have blood on hia hands,&accepts value of forgiving Nabal for his poor judgement. David initially showed rash judgement,has shown he is humble enough to give thanks for Abigail, compassionate and merciful enough to forgive& not kill Nabal,showing heart tender&wise enough to listen&act on good advice, obeying God’s command Genesis 9 not to commit murder,rather than kill him out of petty insult.

b)Abigail was a beautiful,generous, intelligent,humble, wise,God fearer knowing she should give David plentiful provisions appealing to his faith conscience,to not to harm Nabal to not mar him as a future king.

c)Nabal was a wealthy,Carmelite farmer with plentiful stocks,seemingly ungenerous &arrogant in refusing requests for help. d)David needed to be refined through Abigail’s generousity& wise judgement,obeying God’s commands,to controlling emotions when provoked, resist anger& having blood guilt on his conscience.

e)This study has reminded me,to in humilty resist provocation with the Lord’s help when tempted, know that others around me could lead me astray,trust God to provide for my needs,and be open to change, listen to wisdom of other Christians, guiding me against harm and for good of others & myself.

3a)David relents from attacking Nabal his land &family, when he refuses to give David provisions for his men out of Nabal’s wealth of listock etc. He thanks Abigail for her reminders that he as future king should not have blood on hia hands,&accepts value of forgiving Nabal for his poor judgement. David initially showed rash judgement,has shown he is humble enough to give thanks for Abigail, compassionate and merciful enough to forgive& not kill Nabal,showing heart tender&wise enough to listen&act on good advice, obeying God’s command Genesis 9 not to commit murder,rather than kill him out of petty insult.

b)Abigail was a beautiful,generous, intelligent,humble, wise,God fearer knowing she should give David plentiful provisions appealing to his faith conscience,to not to harm Nabal to not mar him as a future king.c)Nabal was a wealthy,Carmelite farmer with plentiful stocks,seemingly ungenerous &arrogant in refusing requests for help. d)David needed to be refined through Abigail’s generousity& wise judgement,obeying God’s commands,to controlling emotions when provoked, resist anger& having blood guilt on his conscience.e)This study has reminded me,to in humilty resist provocation with the Lord’s help when tempted, know that others around me could lead me astray,trust God to provide for my needs,and be open to change, listen to wisdom of other Christians, guiding me against harm and for good of others & myself.

b)Abigail was a beautiful,generous, intelligent,humble, wise,God fearer knowing she should give David plentiful provisions appealing to his faith conscience,to not to harm Nabal to not mar him as a future king.

c)Nabal was a wealthy,Carmelite farmer with plenriful stocks,seemingly ungenerous &arrogant in refusing requests for help.

d)David needed to be refined through Abigail’s generousity& wise judgement,obeying God’s commands,to controlling emotions when provoked, resist anger& having blood guilt on his conscience.e)This study has reminded me,to in humilty resist provocation with the Lord’s help when tempted, know that others around me could lead me astray,trust God to provide for my needs,and be open to change, listen to wisdom of other Christians, guiding me against harm and for good of others & myself.

• 1 year later...

Davids character - Well he is human and his humaness took over.

Nabals character - Very mean and hard hearted

Abigails charcter - Very beautiful, smart, and even though her husband is very mean she still doesn't want harm to come to him.

I think this story was included to show that David is a human with human faults, and that it is just as hard for him to follow what God wants all the time same as it is for us.

• 2 months later...

(1 Samuel 25) What do we learn about David's character in this incident with Nabal and Abigail? What do we learn about Abigail's character? Nabal's character? Why do you think this story was included in 1 Samuel? What important knowledge does it add to our understanding?

David is a man on a mission, but he is willing to adapt to do what's honorable.  He is not so caught up in venegence that he cannot recognize Abigail's sincere heart.  Abigail is a courageous and insightful to approach David.  Nabal is apparently a selfish man, unable to think beyond his own pursuits.  It was interesting to learn about the influence women had to change the course of events and that God's leaders need to stay true to God's direction as David did.

• 2 years later...

Firstly we learn that David has a very quick character in that he responds quickly to incident. Secondly we learn that David can easily take offense to an insult. Thirdly we learn the David can also urged by others to repent to God and to do good.

Abigail has good judgment and acts quickly to obtain what she wants - the justice of God. Nabal  is a greedy and grasping person according to the Bible and that he deserved to be killed.

• 6 years later...

David had come to Nabal for provisions but Nabal refused him. David said that they had never stolen from him they had been faithful to him in the past. Nabal said no,  saying he was a runaway slave. David left but when he heard Nabal had insulted him he prepare for an attack.

Abigail was ans intelligent and humble woman

Nabel was a wealthy rude mean man

The lesson is to believe in the Lord and he will follow through

• 2 weeks later...

Q3. (1 Samuel 25)

What do we learn about Abigail's character? Nabal's character?

David saw an opportunity for his men to be rewarded for having kept Nabal's property safe.  Yet when he did ask for it, he was wrongly accused and his men were shamed.  This riled him,  and he got angry.  So much so that he was ready to commit murder.

Abigail was a wise woman and hard-working , who wanted peace at all cost.

Nabal seems to have been a fool and one who was ready to believe rumors.  

I think it was included to show that in spite of the fact that David and his men were on the run, and hiding from the king,  they were still looking out  and  keeping enemies out from infiltrating the country.  The other reason I do think it was added was to show that in spite of everything, David too was a man.  

We need God's guidance at all times.