JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Unto Us a Son Is Born

(Isaiah 9:6-7) What in the text convinces us that the Child/Son is the Messiah himself? God told many prophets that the messiah would come from the Lineage of David. That he would bring 4 things when he would bring his kingdom. He would bring order to it, establish it on this earth, his divine judgment would clearly be seen, and his perfect justice would bring us peace(dying for our sins). Also his kingdom would see no end. All other kingdoms are now dust or ancient history but his would not fall to such powers.

What do you learn about the Messiah from the four word pairs describing him?  Imagine God declaring to the people of Israel the names of this divine person. Four distinct names, five distinct meanings. No one that I can recall does God gives these names too. He is basically declaring that within these names you have a messiah. All five names come to life only in the person of Jesus Christ.

Which of these saving attributes do you need most in your life right now? I need a Counselor, someone who can listen and relate to my affections and my shortcomings. I find him very easy to talk to and its easy to open every door to my soul and let him in. He knows the weight of my guilt, my shame and my sorrow under the weight of my sin. He is always ready to forgive and to cleanse me.

The attributes of the child and that he will be called Prince of Peace, Everlasting father , Mighty God and he will reign over david's throne and his Kingdom tells us that this child is messiah itself.

The four pair words- Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace teaches us that Messiah counsels us with his wisdom, full of strength and might, a God is with us and close to us like a Father and fills us with his peace that passes all understanding.

i need all of the saving attributes of messiah in my life. i need his counsel in all that i do, i need to rely in his power and strength everyday, i need him to be my God who is with me and close to me and to fill me daily with his peace with which i can be an instrument in his hands to fuflil his purposes through me.

Q3. (Isaiah 9:6-7) What in the text convinces us that the Child/Son is the Messiah himself?

The description of the child and the things that He will accomplish convinces us that the Child is the Messiah himself. The child will be known as wonderful counselor, almighty God, Everlasting Father and the Prince of Peace. In addition, He is said to be the one who will reign on David's throne and His kingdom will never end. If He were a mere child at some point His reign as King would end and He would not be called by all the names listed. Truly He is the Messiah himself.

What do you learn about the Messiah from the four word pairs describing him?

From the word pairs I learn:

1. That Jesus is one who has supernatural abilities to counsel His people. His wisdom and abilities exceed human capabilities.

2. He is one with God and He is one who stands victoriously; No one can compare to Him in might and power.

3. Jesus possesses the same power and ability as God the Father. He will take care of us like a good father would.

4. He gives us peace and He IS our peace. He gives complete peace.

Which of these saving attributes do you need most in your life right now?

I need Him to be my wonderful counsellor most in my life right now. At this time I am facing decisions and I am a little unsure of which way to go. I need His wisdom and direction in my life now so that I may know which way to go. 

Lesson 2 Question 3

Isaiah is a multi- layered book with interpretations possible for past present and future. All can be easily possible at the same time. The ancients did not necessarily see time as a linear function as we moderns do but they would have seen past, present and future all being some blend of each other as existence moved forward. For these eternal life would have a different meaning, perhaps a fuller meaning than we linear time converts. We in the Christian church interpret these verses from a Christological standpoint.

It has just read in Isaiah 5 of the magnitude, wonder and glory of the Lord Yahweh. It can now be expected that this great and magnificent lord is capable of all things. The audience is also aware of the promise of a Messiah, so the reader or hearer waits in anticipation. With this Lord 'all things are possible.' The miracle of Gidden's miraculous victory at Midian has been recalled, the stage has been set skillfully for the arrival of the Son, born to “us”. This use of the pronoun us makes the reader or hearer part of the story and the story becomes ours. These verses are in a set of three parallel phrases upon newness. This child announced in the third parallel is a 'newness' in the experiences of the people and the Lord Yahweh. This new child born to us has all the attributes of God – Wonderful Councillor, Mighty God, Prince of Peace. In verse 7 there are three characteristics that speak of godliness; His authority shall grow continually - it has no limit; He will establish justice and righteousness- a tradition of prophetic tradition and His Kingdom will be for evermore- His power is for ever. We are also told in verse 2 that in the future Galilee will be honoured. This happened when Jesus moved to Capernium. Jesus, Himself, was convinced that he was the messiah, Christians do the same.

Regardless of the attributes that are given here, Counsellor, God, Father, Prince of Peace I am interested mainly in the saving grace of God through this Messiah and for His Kingdom to come on Earth as it is in Heaven.

WinstonY

I think that the part of text that convinces me that the Child/Son is the Messiah himself is the name that He is given. The thing I learn from the four word pairs describing Him is that He is going to be a great counselor, He is going to be My God and everlasting Father and that He will bring peace.

The saving attribute that I need most in life right now is that he is My God and the everlasting Father.

• 2 weeks later...

The text that convinces us the Child/Son is the Messiah Himself is the titles that He is given.

What we learn about the Messiah from the four word pairs describing Him is,  He will have wisdom, will be a warrior,will be divine, and will bring peace.

Of these saving attributes the one I need most in my life right now is His counsel. I have many decisions to make in my life right now. I need the Lord's wisdom to help me make the right choices.

• 9 months later...

1a)The text describes Child/Son as mighty God and everlasting father,seated on David’s throne,therefore he has to be divine son of God.Messiah King

b)He is also Wonderful Counsellor (Spirit),Mighty God,Everlasting Father,Prince of peace (Son),Reigning on David’s throne over his kingdom, establishing &upholding justice righteousness for ever-no one else could fulfill this.. He Jesus Christ is everything we could ever need, he is all embracing, all surpassing, amazing, awesome yet personal Saviour God for each of us who call on His Name.

c) I relax knowing that the arms of the Everlasting Father are constantly holding and helping me, and also knowing Prince of Peace will help me in the storms of life.

• 4 months later...

The parts of the text that indicate that this child would be the Messiah are in verse 7:  1)  "Of the increase of his government there will be no end; and 2) He will reign on David's throne ... from that time on and forever.    Only the Messiah, God incarnate, can reign forever without an end to His kingdom.  Human kings eventually lose their place as ruler either because they are removed from office by someone politically or militarily defeating them, or because they die.

The pairs of words (Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince Of Peace) either describe 1) the god the child's parents worshipped {If was common in that part of the world in ancient times for parents, especially kings, to give their sons names that described the god they worshipped.  In Hebrew, in addition to the names given here, these names would include names ending in -el  such as Daniel and Ezekiel and -iah  such as Isaiah and Jeremiah.}, or 2) the child himself, in which case the child would be the Messiah.

I cannot say that right now I need just one of these characteristics attributed to the Messiah to be more prominent in Jesus' acting on me than the others;  I need all of Him.  I always need His wisdom and guidance, His power and authority, His shepherding, and His peace in reconciling me with God the Father by the forgiveness of my sins which He bought with His shed blood.

• 5 months later...

I feel that the statement that he will be a wonderful counselor and the Prince of Peace tell me that he is great. The fact that the government will be on his shoulders tells me that he is going to be a great ruler. The statement that he is mighty God and everlasting Father tells me that he is one with God and he is a part of God and he will be the Messiah.

Right now in my life, I need a wonderful counselor. I need to have someone to really talk to for help and understanding.

• 8 months later...

Q3. (Isaiah 9:6-7) What in the text convinces us that the Child/Son is the Messiah himself? What do you learn about the Messiah from the four word pairs describing him? Which of these saving attributes do you need most in your life right now?

In the text the phrase that convinces us that the Child/Son is the Messiah Himself is "Everlasting Father."  From the four word pairs describing Messiah I learn that He is "Wonderful Counselor" with capabilities beyond human with the government of the world resting on his shoulders.  Mighty God indicates that Messiah is "mighty, strong, valiant, mighty man," He is the heroes or champions among the armed forces.  As "Everlasting Father" Messiah is the guardian of his people and supplies their need forever.  The "Prince of Peace" is the chief bringer of reconciliation, peace, fulfillment, and wholeness. He is the master of this realm.  Of these saving attributes I need unusual counsel, a Messiah who provides all of my needs and lead in into a place of pece and contentment.

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...
On 8/2/2013 at 5:51 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q3. (Isaiah 9:6-7) What in the text convinces us that the Child/Son is the Messiah himself? What do you learn about the Messiah from the four word pairs describing him? Which of these saving attributes do you need most in your life right now?

The names convince us that the Child is the Messiah Himself: “Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace”.

”Everlasting Father” is particularly interesting to me insofar as it isn’t “eternal” Father, but “everlasting”: “eternal” doesn’t have time underpinning it and refers to existence outside of time, whereas “everlasting” does - God was before, has always been and will always be.

We learn that the Messiah is God, that He is the Son and the Father, He is mighty but also the essence of peace, and He will always be and has always been.

In my life right now, I look for God’s mightiness and hope for miracles to get through the Covid-19 pandemic.

• 1 month later...

Q3. (Isaiah 9:6-7) What in the text convinces us that the Child/Son is the Messiah himself? He will be called counsellor and mighty God

What do you learn about the Messiah from the four word pairs describing him? That he is God almighty, he knows all things, he has the authority of heaven and rules over the earth. And that he is eternal and rules forever more.

Which of these saving attributes do you need most in your life right now? 7 Of the increase of his government and peace there will be no end.
He will reign on David's throne and over his kingdom,
establishing and upholding it with justice and righteousness
from that time on and forever.

• 2 months later...

I'm not sure one thing stuck out as describing Messiah. He will rule from the throne of David, he will bring peace, he is the wonderful counselor who will bring peace to the world. There is a lot of punch is so little of a space.  

He is all powerful, all knowing, all forgiving, captain of our ships, we will never lack peace during his reign.

Prince of Peace because it is completeness and wholeness in our lives

• 2 years later...

What in the text convinces us that the Child/Son is the Messiah himself?
And He shall be called Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. The zeal of the Lord Almighty will accomplish this. This is what the written word says about Him. 

What do you learn about the Messiah from the four word pairs describing him?

Wonderful Counselor- He is a counselor, a planner, He has purpose and advise. Wonder I’ve learned Evers to things that are beyond human capabilities. Mighty God- He is strong, hero, valiant. Everlasting Father- perpetuity, continuing future...forever Abba. Prince of Peace- governor, keeper, master, steward. Completeness, health, restored relationship, fulfillment. 

Which of these saving attributes do you need most in your life right now? All of them, Yahweh is my Abba, my Prince of peace, my Mighty God and my Wonderful Counselor. As I go about each day I need Him in different areas of my life. 

• 3 months later...

The militaristic background to this passage cannot be ignored. The Messiah is a warrior. Though He be a child, He is also a conqueror, a victorious warrior who assumes political power and rules justly.

I'm not sure the text is enough to "convince us" that the child is the Messiah. These passages could suggest He is a leader for Israel alone (David's throne) though the universality of His reign is hinted at in the passage, "Of the increase of his government and peace there will be no end." Obviously, this has not happened. It will, but not yet.

The four attributes fascinate me. I've never looked at them closely -- confession! Again, He seems like a sublime and godly political ruler. As a counselor He has the ability to look to the future and make wise plans accordingly. As the Mighty God He conquers evil neighboring countries. As the Everlasting Father He, again, has a future/predictive capacity, but as a Father, not merely a political leader. As the Prince of Peace He promotes good relationships and reconciliation, peaceful circumstances.

It's not fashionable to think of the Messiah in militaristic/warrior terms, but perhaps this is how God portrays Him to us.

Of the four attributes, I want those of a "Mighty God." I need His strength to carry on. I need to prevail over my circumstances. I need to battle, not only inside of me, but outside of me. I want to be mighty in Him, to prevail, to be prepared to move into even more difficult circumstances and, like a soldier, win these battles decisively.

• 1 month later...

What in the text convinces us that the Child/Son is the Messiah himself? 

I grew up knowing Jesus by all of these names. So it was hard to give an answer for this but I think the fact that upon the throne of David is the biggest proof that it is talking about Jesus. 

What do you learn about the Messiah from the four word pairs describing him?

We learn that He is our wonderful counselor, a mighty God. Our everlasting father, Prince of peace, His government will not end. He's on the throne of David and He will establidh His judgment and justice forever and ever.

Which of these saving attributes do you need most in your life right now?

My Prince of Peace

• 10 months later...

For me, the eternal perspective given in the passage indicates that this is an enduring solution to our world/individual problems, i.e. the Messiah.   "Everlasting Father...Of the increase of his government and of peace there will be no end....from this time forth and forevermore."

Wonderful Counselor - looking to Him and His word for truth about our world. NOT 'that may be true for you but not for me' that is overwhelming our culture today.

Mighty God - He can do it.

Everlasting Father - Father's heart that will never leave or stop having compassion

Prince of Peace - source of all answers and hope

In our current cultural upheaval especially among believers, I need the Wonderful Counselor for wisdom on knowing the truth and applying it to our world.