JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Self-Exaltation

What was the attitude of heart in the ruler described in Isaiah 14:12-17?

1.  He was a powerful king that exhalted himself and was arrogant.

What is the scriptural evidence that this indeed refers to Satan?

2.  The Morning Star refers to him as Lucifer who has fallen from Heaven.

Have you ever exalted your opinion and will over God’s will and God’s word? How does this differ from the ruler in 14:12-17?

3.  Yes, sometimes I have felt that I had a better plan instead of waiting on God.  I recognized that God is all powerful and never have tried to make myself equal with him.

What is the best way to humble oneself before the Lord?
4.  By being obedient to His word.

3-1

The ruler described in 14. 12-17 is all about self. These verses speak of the ruler of Babylon but they also have overtones to all other in powerful positions over others and all those who are 'self' thinkers' – from Nebuchadnezzar to Stephen Harper of Canada or former president George W Busch of USA. People with great power think of themselves in the fashion that the leader in 14;12-17 as he speaks”

13 You said in your heart, “I will ascend to the heavens; I will raise my throne above the stars of God;

I will sit enthroned on the mount of assembly, on the utmost heights of Mount Zaphon

14 I will ascend above the tops of the clouds;

The ruler here reaches to Heaven and tries to make himself like God. “I will make myself like the Most High “ The rich and powerful have this attitude as well. In a society where the wealth of the society is concentrated in the hands of a few, these become very wealthy and powerful. These often see themselves as gods with special privileges. They flaunt their wealth “The women of Zion are haughty, walking along with outstretched necks, flirting with their eyes, strutting along with swaying hips,with ornaments jingling on their ankles. (3.16)

But Yahweh warns “You are brought down to Shoel”(14.15) These live in every day and every age and in time these are made to recognize that the wrath of the Lord will fall upon them(14.27) For the Lord of Hosts has a plan for the whole earth and his hand is” stretched out”(verse 26) and he has a plan as he had a plan for the children of Israel at the Red sea when he stretched out his hand and parted the waters for the people to pass through.

\ The notes suggest “this arrogance is characteristic of Satan and the antichrist” but add that to say the King of Babylon and the King of Tyre are intended to be types to instruct us of Satan goes far beyond the text.” We all exalt ourselves beyond what we are; we tend to think of self rather than God or 'other'. We say ' How should we do this ?' rather than 'How would God have us do it? We must continuously remind ourselves that God is in charge and we just play the hand we are given. To do this we must continuously talk to God in prayer and replace ourselves at the center of our universe with God upon whom we can rely upon for strength through the Lord Jesus

The attitude of heart in the ruler is described as on that he thought that he was a god. That thought that they were better than God. I don’t think there is a scriptural reference that this refers to Satan.

I have tried to exalt my opinion and will over God’s will and word. Especially when I speak of things that I am sure is in the bible because I interpreted it that way. There have been times that I have not done what God willed me to do. I don’t see that this is any different that the ruler that Isaiah is talking about. The best way to humble oneself before the Lord is to do the things that He wills us to do.

• 4 weeks later...

The attitude of the heart in the ruler was pride.

The scripture reference that this indeed refers to Satan is Isaiah 14:12.

"How you have fallen from heaven,

O morning star,son of the dawn!

You have been cast down to the earth,

you who once laid low the nations!"

This verse shows that God wasn't talking about a mere mortal king or ruler.

There are times when I do try to exalt my opinion and will over God's will and His Word. However after trying on my own without much success and after much frustration,I learn the hard way that God's way is best.

The best way to humble oneself before the Lord is to be obedient to His Word and His will for our life.

• 9 months later...

1a)The ruler described could be Nebuchadnezzar defeating many nations armies,growing in pride with his victories.The attitude of the rulers heart is lofty,arrogant, boastful,&egocentric.Full of arrogance& pride,making him feel godly like,with people exalting him above other kings, worshipping him over God.

b)Not much scriptual evidence referring to Satan.Since “Lucifer” is Latin for “morning star”, it was assumed Isaiah was also referring to Satan Jesus refers to satan "I saw Satan fall like lightning from heaven" (Luke10:18),Satan is talked about indiectly in 2 Thessalonians 2:4 and Revelation 13:1 And I stood upon the sand of the sea, and saw a beast rise up out of the sea, having seven heads and ten horns, and upon his horns ten crowns, and upon his heads the name of blasphemy.Beginning with a beast (the Antichrist) raising up out of the sea which represents the nations of the world. The beast is the Antichrist or the false messiah. He will be the final world ruler.

c)I know there are times,when I thought I knew which path to take,but didn’t seek the Lord first.later humbly realise that God was directing me elsehwere.

d)the king of Babylon was not humble at all,but allowed his pride and arrogance to rule,seeking to be enthroned above stars of God.

e)come to the Lord each day, committing to seek his wisdom before make decisions&acting with humility,and trusting in the Lord at all times.

• 4 months later...

The ruler's attitude was Pride and Arrogance he wanted to put himself above God in all ways.

The evidence is very weak for this scripture about Babylon's King being Satan, but it does let us know that anyone who tries to put himself equal or above God will fall from heaven like Satan did.

I don't think I have ever exalted myself over Gods will, but I have certainly went against Gods will knowing it was wrong and wishing I hadn't done it my way.

It differs because I knew I was doing wrong and wanted to get it right with God.

The best way to humble oneself is to pray and ask for forgiveness and try harder to do Gods will

• 4 months later...

The heart of the ruler in this passage, tells that the man thought that he was better than God. He felt that his strength and power were able to out power the Lord himself. I think that the only thing that refers to Satan is the use of the title Morning Star. I have opted to follow my ideas and plans over those of God a few times. I felt that I knew better what I needed to do than what God wanted for me. It really was not any different than rulers in the past. It caused hurt and hardship to others. We need to pray to God and acknowledge our sins and to pray for help and forgiveness in all of our wrong doing.

• 8 months later...

Q1. (Isaiah 14) What was the attitude of heart in the ruler described in Isaiah 14:12-17? What is the scriptural evidence that this indeed refers to Satan? Have you ever exalted your opinion and will over God’s will and God’s word? How does this differ from the ruler in 14:12-17? What is the best way to humble oneself before the Lord?

The ruler in this passage was filled with pride.  He saw himself as the ultimate power.  The scriptural evidence that this refers to Satan is Jesus' reference: "I saw Satan fall like lightning from heaven" (Luke 10:18).  I have never offered or exalted an opinion or will over God's will and God's word.  God's word and will if final.  This differs from the ruler in Isaiah 14:12-17 because he was of the opinion that he was mighty enough to dethrone everyone.  The best wsay to humble oneself befor the Lord is to submit your will to His will and to follow in total obedience.

The ruler believed he was greater than God (he would ascend above the stars of God).

While not conclusive, Morning Star is a phrase attributed to satan especially when falling from heaven. I believe the reference in this case is intentionally referring to satan AND the king of Babylon at the same time. Interesting web page http://www.gotquestions.org/morning-star.html

Yes. I have exhalted my own will over God's will each time I have knowingly sinned - or even complained (wanting more or something other than what God has blessed me with).

Although I have not destroyed nations, God is not pleased with disobedience and arrogant ways or thinking.

A way to humble oneself is to give praise and keep persevering in all circumstances.

• 3 years later...

The ruler in Isaiah 14:12-17 felt that he was exalted above God.

There is little scriptural evidence that the passage refers to Satan.

I work every day to submit my will to God. My own self pride often interferes in my walk with God.

I do not place myself above God.

I understand his strength and majesty and work daily to humble myself in his presence.

I humble myself by giving thanks to the Lord for all things, by seeking his counsel and by doing everything I can to spread the word of the Lord's sacrifice and precious gift of salvation.

• 1 year later...

Q1. (Isaiah 14) What was the attitude of heart in the ruler described in Isaiah 14:12-17? A heart of ruling at any cost, a heart that saw destruction of the land and held the people in captivity.

What is the scriptural evidence that this indeed refers to Satan? That he has fallen from heaven, I will make myself like the most high.

Have you ever exalted your opinion and will over God's will and God's word? Yes, regrettably.

How does this differ from the ruler in 14:12-17? I did not wish to rule over God, I was ignorant in my thoughts and actions, but thankfully God corrected me and I am forgiven, AMEN.

What is the best way to humble oneself before the Lord? To kneel before him and yield to his ways, laws and decrees, to fear the Lord with all my heart and all my soul..

• 2 years later...

I have read references to "light bringers" and wondered what they were referring to -- now, I know -- they were referencing Satan, strangely. I don't believe this passage is enough to justify equating light-bringers with Satan. There are many political leaders who could use a fall from heaven, or two!

Of course I've exalted my opinions over God. That's sin and I'm subject to it, though not imprisoned by it. I don't have the power or authority or even influence to fall from anywhere -- my words do not snake the earth or make the kingdoms tremble -- so, frankly, my sins have less of an impact than, say, the horrible policies of the current political administration.

Pride has been the downfall of all humans since Eden.

• 3 months later...
  • Advanced Member
  • Admin

Q1. (Isaiah 14) What was the attitude of heart in the ruler described in Isaiah 14:12-17?

The attitude of  the ruler is pride. There are 5 "I will" statements that show his prideful attitude. 

What is the scriptural evidence that this indeed refers to Satan?

"you have fallen from heaven"  Luke 10:18 states that Jesus saw Satan fall from heaven. 

"I will raise my throne above the stars of heaven"  The Bible sometimes represents angels as stars. In Rev 1:20 "the seven stars are the angels of the seven churches"

Who else want to raise above God other than Satan, himself. 

Have you ever exalted your opinion and will over God’s will and God’s word?

I do hope not, but I probably have. I know reading the Bible it is hard to fathom the destruction of people and I have to remember that God's ways are higher than my own, and He know a lot more about situations than I do. 

How does this differ from the ruler in 14:12-17?

The ruler is blatantly defiant against God.

What is the best way to humble oneself before the Lord?

To remember my failing and to confess them to God, who is sure to forgive them. 

• 8 months later...

The attitude was one of pride and self-promotion. The same attitude is expressed of 'man of lawlessness' in II Thes 2. In the temptation of Christ in the wilderness, the ultimate motive of Satan was revealed in the promise of all the kingdoms of the world, IF Christ would 'fall down and worship', the ultimate demonstration of pride.

Anyone who has not exalted their opinion over God's will is either a liar or demented. It is our root sin issue which moves us and reflects the attitude of Satan. Humility is the process whereby we see ourselves through God's eyes, valued but broken and in need of a Saviour.