JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. An Unfaithful Leader

Question 3-3

The traditional way that Judah and the other tribes handled military preparations wast to pray to Yahweh to deliver his people from the evils that confronted them. They did this even when they seemed to be the protagonist. In the wilderness Moses taught the people how to be persistent and to fight through their trials, calling on the Lord at all times for help so he would continue to provide them with their daily bread. The people of Isaiah's time had forgotten how to trust god and to depend upon him for their needs. Instead they began to trust in their own solutions to the problems. In the defence of Jerusalem the people did not do wrong by strengthening the walls and securing the water supply. Their wrong was in not trusting their work to the Lord. They should have remembered that God is their strength, their rock, their salvation and their fortress. The people had not consulted God.

Shebna seems to have taken money from the royal treasury to build a mansion and tomb of his own. He was stealing and this seems to be especially worse in the dire situation of the city.

Of course I have-for all have sinned and come short of the kingdom of God. But we have a Savior who clothes us in His Robe of righteousness.

WinstonY

Why is Judah faulted for making necessary military preparations in the face of the Assyrian armies?

1.  They were trying to do things on their own.  They used every means of protection without asking God for help.

What should they have done at the same time (verses 11-12)?

2.  They should have consulted God. 

What seems to be the sin of Shebna, steward of the palace (verses 15-19)?

3.  He was preparing a tomb for himself, while Jersusaem was being threatened.  Used the nations resources to further his own purpose and pride.

Have you ever been guilty of selfishness instead of doing your duty to Christ?

4.   Yes

Judah is faulted for making necessary military preparations in the face of the Assyrian armies because they hadn’t turned to the Lord. They were doing it on their own and not consulting the one that built and loved the city.

The sin of Shebna seem too been that he carved out a tomb for himself. I have been guilty of being selfish instead of doing my duty to Christ.

• 4 weeks later...

Judah is faulted for making necessary military preparations in the face of the Assyrian armies because they didn't seek the Lord first nor humble themselves before Him.

What they should of done at the same time was seek the Lord's will first and ask Him for direction instead of just relying completely on their security system.

The sin of Sheba,the steward of the palace seems to be pride and self-importance.He is more concerned with using city resources to bulid a fine tomb for himself than being concerned by the threat of attack from Jerusalem's enemies.

I have been guilty of selfishness instead of doing my duty to Christ. In those situations I have to ask the Lord's forgiveness for my disobedience.

• 10 months later...

3a)Judah put it’s trust in its own security,making physical defences&actions to prepare against the Assyrian armies e.g building tunnel from Gihon spring outside city walls to pool inside in case city was beseiged, instead of seeking God&putting trust in the One who made it&His grace.

b)They should have humbly sought God’s protection,confessing their wrongs,and had faith God,trusting in His mercy.c)He mis-used the nations resources to prepare a fine tomb for h

imself on the outskirts of the city,further his purposes&pride while Jerusalem was vulnerble to attack&he should have been serving.He was corrupt &untrustworthy

d)Yes everytime I make my own plans to e.g to purchase something,distracted from looking to God ,& focusing on doing as he asks-giving to the poor &others in need etc.

• 8 months later...

Judah is turning away from God at this time to do things for themselves. They are forgetting all the promises and they are forgetting all of the lessons from  the past. They should have turned to the God of their fathers for deliverance from their enemies. God saved his people in the past and I am sure that the would have done it again.

Shebna was a very self-serving person. He only looked out for himself. He did not care about the people of God at all. He did not respond to the path that God had laid out before him.

At times, I have been more concerned about my own needs and disregarded the needs of those around me. I followed my own path with no thought about how it would affect others.

• 8 months later...

Q3. (Isaiah 22) Why is Judah faulted for making necessary military preparations in the face of the Assyrian armies? What should they have done at the same time (verses 11-12)? What seems to be the sin of Shebna, steward of the palace (verses 15-19)? Have you ever been guilty of selfishness instead of doing your duty to Christ? 

Judah is faulted for making necessary military preparations in the face of the Assyrian armies because the leaders lacked vision and they did or sought the Lord; nor did they humble themselves before the Lord.  As children of God they should have humbled themselves and prayed for guidance; instead of trusting in their own abilities. 

It seems the sin of Shebna is that he is selfish and corrupt.  Father, forgive me of any past or present selfishness when ministering to your people in th the Kingdom of God.

• 3 years later...

Judah was preparing for war relying on their own human strength.

They should have listened to Isaiah and trusted in the Word of God.

Shebna had prepared a fine tomb for himself using the nations resources.

I am guilty of selfishness daily and pray daily for the wisdom and heart to live by God's will, not mine.

• 1 year later...

Q3. (Isaiah 22) Why is Judah faulted for making necessary military preparations in the face of the Assyrian armies? Because they still hadn’t turned to God and repented. That should have been the first thing to do. They are relying on themselves for security rather than on God’s grace and mercy.

What should they have done at the same time (verses 11-12)? Sought the Lord, repented and humbled themselves before God.

What seems to be the sin of Shebna, steward of the palace (verses 15-19)? Shebna appears to have used state funds to build himself a grand tomb for when he dies.

Have you ever been guilty of selfishness instead of doing your duty to Christ? Sadly, yes. For a very long time, I didn’t understand God’s grace in my life or see all the ways He was merciful, and I thought everything I had came down to me and me only. Now I understand and am grateful, and seek God every day, and try to repent of my sins as soon as I am aware of them, and try to remember to be grateful for all that He/She has given me. 

• 1 month later...

Q3. (Isaiah 22) Why is Judah faulted for making necessary military preparations in the face of the Assyrian armies? Because they trusted in their own works and did not seek the Lord.

What should they have done at the same time (verses 11-12)? Seeked the Lord

What seems to be the sin of Shebna, steward of the palace (verses 15-19)? It seems that he is possibly doing things to serve himself and not the people of Jerusalem. 

Have you ever been guilty of selfishness instead of doing your duty to Christ? Yes

Q3. (Isaiah 22) Why is Judah faulted for making necessary military preparations in the face of the Assyrian armies? Because they do not consult the Lord their God as to what they should do, and how it is to be done.

What should they have done at the same time (verses 11-12)? Consulted God.

What seems to be the sin of Shebna, steward of the palace (verses 15-19)? He is preparing for his own comfort and selfishness.

Have you ever been guilty of selfishness instead of doing your duty to Christ? Yes!

• 2 years later...

I find it incredibly difficult to know when I should move ahead with my own plans and solutions or wait for more leading, so this biblical narrative makes sense to me. I don't think God expects us to do nothing for our own protection, but to act in ways that acknowledge His guidance before our own ideas. So Judah prepared for the disaster that they knew/felt/intuited would befall them -- they needed to prioritize prayer and deference to God.

Shebna represents any employee or bureaucrat who puts his own salary and prestige ahead of the idea of "service" to another. Sadly, this is typical, not unusual. 

Of course I've been guilty of selfishness in the face of duty to Christ. Sometimes I deliberately disobey, though this is increasingly rare -- most of the time I disobey because my overall character is more self-concerned than concerned about others or God Himself. Imprisoned in the self, I've been liberated by Christ but still have to crawl out and upward. Such is sanctification. It's both a work of the Spirit and a willingness to be "worked on" by the Christian.

• 3 weeks later...

Q3. (Isaiah 22) Why is Judah faulted for making necessary military preparations in the face of the Assyrian armies?
Judah never went to TMH for guidance or direction as to what they should have done in this situation.

What should they have done at the same time (verses 11-12)?

They should have repent and turned back towards TMH. Fasting and prayer and not celebrating “for tomorrow they die”. 

Shebna was corrupt and only looking out for himself. 

Yes I have, an it’s something I’m working on daily to break and be better about not doing it. His will comes before my own. 

• 2 months later...

Q3. (Isaiah 22) Why is Judah faulted for making necessary military preparations in the face of the Assyrian armies? What should they have done at the same time (verses 11-12)?

They were faulted because that's all they were doing. They were not relying on God at all. They thought they could protect themselves. They should have asked God for His help. 

Shebna had a place of honor in King Hezekiah's palace. His sin seems to be self promoting and materialism. Instead of taking his job seriously he made for himself a fancy tome. 

Unfortunately too often. I try to check my motives before doing something, and quite often realize I am being selfish. I ask myself "What are  my intentions?" It helps steer me away from self promotion. 

• 8 months later...

Judah was celebrating their preparation for seige thinking they had outsmarted the enemy and were prepared to resist. However, their celebration was based on their efforts and not dependence on God to deliver.

Sheba seems to have excelled in advancing his own wealth and good will by abusing the authority as a steward of Judah.