JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. (1 Corinthians 1:4-7) How often do you thank God for the blessings of those who don’t like you, or of your actual enemies?

I've never really considered doing that. I've prayed for my enemies that God will soften them, and in His own time and at His good pleasure bring them into contact with someone who can impart the Gospel unto their salvation. My own enemies are way to implacable towards me for me to ever influence them.

What does it say about Paul that he thanks God for the gifts of those who are at odds with him?

Paul is allowing God's love to soften his attitude to the people who have spurned him and his teaching. In writing the letter in such a way he is trying to open the dialog in a way that will reassure the Corinthian people of his continued love for them.

What specifically does he thank God for about the Corinthian believers?

Their spiritual knowledge and their communication thereof.

Q2. (1 Corinthians 1:4-7) How often do you thank God for the blessings of those who don't like you, or of your actual enemies? Until reading this I can honestly say I never even thought to than God for the blessings of those who don’t like me or are actual enemies. I have prayed for them but never considered that they could possibly be a “blessing”. I have thanked God a couple of times this week for the blessings of my enemies and those that don't like me. I am still not sure how they are blessings.

What does it say about Paul that he thanks God for the gifts of those who are at odds with him? I believe this shows that Paul has gained spiritual maturity.

What specifically does he thank God for about the Corinthian believers? Paul specifically thanks God for the “grace given you in Christ Jesus”.

Q2. (1 Corinthians 1:4-7) How often do you thank God for the blessings of those who don’t like you, or of your actual enemies? What does it say about Paul that he thanks God for the gifts of those who are at odds with him? What specifically does he thank God for about the Corinthian believers?

A2. Honestly, I don't thank God enough for the blessing of those who don't like me or my enemies.  But I pray always for God to give me the grace to love those who are unlovable and I believe He is working it in me. It's not easy, specifically when these people are proud and arrogant and they never tend to see thier faults but I know it takes maturity to understand such people and I pray for such maturity.  

Pauls ability to thank God for the gifts of those who are at odds with him confirms his role as a true leader who is completely matured in Christ. It also shows that he has the heart of a true father towards his spiritual children not to take offense but to counsel them in the right direction.    

He thanks God for the grace and the spiritual gifts that has been so freely extended to the the church inspite of their horrendous past!

I don’t think I’ve ever been challenged to thank God for the blessing of those who are at odds with me.  I think Paul’s example of doing this very thing reveals a deep humility and great spiritual maturity.  He focused on what God had done for them and what they had received in Christ Jesus.  He was willing to see and seek the best for them, even when they were so far off base.  Paul offered thanks that, as saints of God, they had been spiritually enriched in their speech and knowledge through Christ.  He was grateful that they were not lacking in any spiritual gifts to exercise as they looked to the revealing of Christ. They just needed understanding and application of what they already possessed in Christ.

Q2. (1 Corinthians 1:4-7) How often do you thank God for the blessings of those who don't like you, or of your actual enemies? 

I cant remember an instance where I thank God for the blessing He gave to those who do not like me or my enemies. I just know that it is Gods will and so be it.

What does it say about Paul that he thanks God for the gifts of those who are at odds with him?

It only shows that Paul has already achieved the highest level of Christian maturity as his character shows it while facing those who antagonize him.

Paul specifically thank God for the totally free and unmerited favor that God has extended to those once-pagan people. 

Q2. (1 Corinthians 1:4-7) How often do you thank God for the blessings of those who don't like you, or of your actual enemies? What does it say about Paul that he thanks God for the gifts of those who are at odds with him? What specifically does he thank God for about the Corinthian believers?

Rarely do I do so- thanking God for even those who hate me. But I am challenged today to do as Paul did, - thank God for everything and for everyone even those who irritate or annoy me.

It shows Paul's love and humility as he could still thank those who were castigating him.

He thanked God because the Corinthian Church has been blessed by God with rich abundant blessings of different Spiritual gifts in Christ Jesus.

Q2.

1 - (1 Corinthians 1:4-7) How often do you thank God for the blessings of those who don’t like you, or of your actual enemies?

I thank God for my enemies. I pray for them always.

2 - What does it say about Paul that he thanks God for the gifts of those who are at odds with him?

I think Paul recognizes that God has saved them as well.  

3 - What specifically does he thank God for about the Corinthian believers?

He thank God for salvation, and gifts under the believers.

I regularly pray for those that I have issues or problems with.  I pray that God would continue to bless them and that His face would shine upon them.  I thank God for the wonderful moments I had with them and might again.  Because being at at odds with someone doesn't mean you stop praying for them.  We should always practice grace.

The fact that Paul prayed for and gave thanks to God for the blessings give to him by those he was at odds with shows his spiritual development and how atoned to God he was.  Paul saw the big picture.  That picture was about the Gospel of Jesus Christ and the salvation of people.  People are people -- fickle, fragile, emotional, imperfect, and  immature.  Paul, in his own imperfections, has to work with these people in order to establish and grow a church in Corinth as well as spread the Gospel in that region.  Paul practices love and grace.

Paul thanked God for their eloquent words and knowledge.

Hmmm, interesting question, it throws me for a loop. But I think I found the wisdom in it. When I am around people that I am at odds with, great or small, I learn more about myself. Who I am and what i want to be instead.

I think the blessing is learning how to be holy to our enemys. Instead of resorting to fear and hostility, the blessing comes from learning to view them as people in need of Gods charity.

Learning how to tie our shoes or to fish for ourselves is a life long blessing that is taught to us. I think learning to be holy even to our enemies is a similar blessing and when those situations arise its our chance at being taught that.

Q2. (1 Corinthians 1:4-7) How often do you thank God for the blessings of those who don’t like you, or of your actual enemies? What does it say about Paul that he thanks God for the gifts of those who are at odds with him? What specifically does he thank God for about the Corinthian believers?

Who might I be to judge God how He give out blessings? I don't even deserve what He gives to me!

A good idea is to accept everything that happens since God's will is being done. Not accepting is asking for pain, or just taking it on right away, like "my car broke down, woe is me..."

If we are still alive today, what is the next right thing we can do as we step through the day. We may say, "bring it on..."  but be careful, and so will I

I'm afraid I do not thank God for them as often as I should.  Thank you for the reminder.

Paul could look at them as in their position in the body of Christ. It takes special work to look for those things we can praise others for especially if we don't care for them at the time.

For their salvation.

2.a. I have never thought of thanking God for the blessings of people that don't like me.  I know that I have had feelings of unforgiveness, but God didn't let me dwell there.  I kept hearing that song "Seven times seven" alot.  When I finally gave in and asked for forgiveness from the person I never heard that song again.  I do ask God to save them because they have not received the truth as I have and they do not know what they are doing and I ask God to give me love for them.

b. It says alot about Paul's character.  Of his willingness to turn things around and love and encourage them in their giftings even though he was not happy with their conduct.

c. He thanks God for the grace given them in Christ Jesus.  Because "in Christ" they are enriched in every way in all spiritual blessings.

I don't pray enough for those that don't like me.  Paul thanks God for the gifts for those that are at odds with him, I think, because it's not about him. It's about God.  He gives God all the glory and not himself. He understands that it is God that gave to him the gift of proclaiming the most precious gift, THE WORD, to them.  Paul thanked them for receiving the truth and speaking and their understanding of God,s Word.

I don't pray enough for those that don't like me.  Paul thanks God for the gifts for those that are at odds with him, I think, because it's not about him. It's about God.  He gives God all the glory and not himself. He understands that it is God that gave to him the gift of proclaiming the most precious gift, THE WORD, to them.  Paul thanked them for receiving the truth and speaking and their understanding of God,s Word.

I can’t think of many or of anytime that I have thank God for the blessings of those who don’t like me, or are actually my enemies. When Paul thanked God for the gifts of those who are at odds with him I think that was quite a bold move. That took quit a man to thank God for the gifts that were at odds with him.

Paul is thanking God for the speaking and knowledge that they have about the Good News of Jesus Christ.

• 1 month later...

Q2. (1 Corinthians 1.4-7): How often do you thank God for the blessings of those who don't like you, or of your actual enemies? What does it say about Paul that he thanks God for the gifts of those who are at odds with him? What specifically does he thank God for about the Corinthian believer?

So often I find it difficult to thank God for those whom I do not like or are not in good relationship with.  It is an area that I try to pray bout often because I need help in this matter.  Although I recognize that there is nothing impossible to Him, I need to pray even more intentionally about this.  I admire Paul in that he could reach out much beyond himself to get the help/discernment he needs to pray for his enemies. In fact, Paul specifically asked the LORD that no one lack any gifts/blessings from the LORD God.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanking God for all blessings like or dislike is my everyday prayer. My enemies especially the ones so close to me are hard. I choose to pray for their very soul because abusing me can't please God nor can my reactions. I would rather make them regret it but as God says it is easy to love the ones we like, but also pray for the ones you dislike.

• 1 month later...

Q2. (1 Corinthians 1.4-7): How often do you thank God for the blessings of those who don't like you, or of your actual enemies? What does it say about Paul that he thanks God for the gifts of those who are at odds with him? What specifically does he thank God for about the Corinthian believer?

So often I find it difficult to thank God for those whom I do not like or are not in good relationship with.  It is an area that I try to pray bout often because I need help in this matter.  Although I recognize that there is nothing impossible to Him, I need to pray even more intentionally about this.  I admire Paul in that he could reach out much beyond himself to get the help/discernment he needs to pray for his enemies. In fact, Paul specifically asked the LORD that no one lack any gifts/blessings from the LORD God.

• 5 months later...

To thank God for the blessings of those who are my enemies is a prayer that I should do more often than I presently do.  The Apostle Paul was a man concerned with everyone that he came in contact with, those who were his friends, in the church, and even those who wanted to kill him.  As a just man he prayed for them all.  Paul thanked God for the gifts that He had given and manifested through the Corinthian believers.

• 4 months later...

I find that I fall very short on my thanking of God for all my blessings. Those that can be considered good and those that might be considered bad. I really have never thanked God for my enemies. I realize that I have so much to learn about God, Jesus and the authors of the books of the bible. Paul is one person that I should try to emulate in my daily life. He is much more a saint than I have ever thought to be. He thanks God for the Corinthians ability to speak about Christ and the knowledge with which they speak of him. And he does this even after they spoke really bad things about him.

• 3 years later...
On 2/5/2014 at 2:27 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

I don’t thank Him enough, even though I’ve forgiven my enemies and have prayed for them.  For some reason I still want to see them punished because they worship the devil and tried to force me to do the same but God gave me faith to overcome Satan. Oh, the things Satan wants to do to me, even though I know he’d rather have my soul since I have rebuked him many times.  If I had less faith, I would have been swallowed up by the devil, God trusted me and always protected me when demons were surrounding me on every side.   A person with less faith would have been possessed, for I have seen my enemies conjure up the devil and start speaking a strange language and looking at me like they wanted to kill me.  And they persecuted me and people still do it, this world always hated me or rather Jesus Christ because He’s in me.  Paul thanks them for the grace of God which is given by Jesus Christ.   Waiting on the coming of the Lord as the testimony of Christ was confirmed in them.  

• 3 years later...

Q2. (1 Corinthians 1:4-7)

How often do you thank God for the blessings of those who don't like you, or of your actual enemies?

Probably at the time when they "give me grief" or I am upset by something they say or do to or about me. I guess I sooner try to avoid confrontation. Not sure that I do see anyone as an enemy, they are sooner seen as people who do not see things the way I do. To be honest my prayer life is probably not what it ought to be. I talk to God about everything at all or any time. He is just part and parcel of me (I might just not think too much globally or enough about what is all over. Am more centred about what affects me and my loved ones, many of whom do not understand me.) 

He is not self-centered but God-centered. He does not only see the negative but is prepared to thank God for the positive and he brings it to their notice. 

He thanks God for their salvation in Christ Jesus (they have come out of paganism). This was unmerited favour extended to them (and he points it out that it is none of their doings). He also thanks for the resulting spiritual gifts manifested among them viz., in utterances (speaking in tongues, prophecy, word of knowledge, word of wisdom) and also that they have knowledge i.e. they have the intellect to grasp something.  

• 1 year later...

One of the things I do -- not always sincerely --  is ask God to bless the people who have hurt me. For me, this is less cathartic than obedient. (I also ask for justice!)

To praise God for the gifts for those who are opposing you makes sense, for the Spirit that gives the gifts is in you as well as your opponents; that Spirit binds. Potentially.

Opposition from secular people, not Christians, is far more intractable.

Paul thanks God for the gifts to the Corinthians of utterance and knowledge. Both are Spiritual gifts – utterance is speaking what God reveals, knowledge is a deeper understanding (wisdom?) given by the Spirit.