JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Time for Friends

Why are we sometimes "too busy" to spend time with friends and relatives?

We get all tied up with our own business and affairs.  Too much of our life is involved with "me".

What does Jesus' attendance at this wedding tell us about him?

Jesus was a people person while on earth.  He cared about people in all of their affairs.

How can we apply that learning in our own personal lives?

As Jesus was involved with people in their own affairs, we should also be involved with people to help them to know Jesus.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (John 2:1-2) Why are we sometimes "too busy" to spend time with friends and relatives? What does Jesus' attendance at this wedding tell us about him? How can we apply that learning in our own personal lives?

Today is Thanksgiving, no excuses for not spending time with family, calling direct members, grown up kids/parents. No excuses.

Hard to say how life has its way of chewing up our time... we have christian family members to spend time with as well. Weddings are very important; back then there were probably almost no divorces, not to say people were happier; they had less distractions. Life was more simple, kind of, and family was more important or most important. So if you can't visit, call and of curse we meed to pray for all the saints in our family blood and baptized.

Wish my family was with me, but my wife is so its gonna be a great day to focus on her and her family.

• 2 weeks later...

Jesus was on a mission to save the world, the greatest mission in the history of humankind. Yet he took time to attend a wedding and take part in its festivities. We may be tempted to think we should not take time out from our “important” work for social occasions. But maybe these social occasions are part of our mission. Jesus valued these wedding festivities because they involved people, and Jesus came to be with people. Our mission can often be accomplished in joyous times of celebration with others. Bring balance to your life by bringing Jesus into times of pleasure as well as times of work.

• 2 weeks later...

Sometimes we are "too busy" to spend time with friends and relatives because we are more concerned with our own wants and desires. Often someone  doesn't won't  to spend time with others if it means having to change their plans.

What Jesus' attendance at the wedding in Cana tells us about Him is, He was willing to spend time with others no matter how busy He was.

We can apply this in our personal life, by taking time to spend with our families and friends.

Sometimes we are "too busy" to spend time with friends and relatives because we are more concerned with our own wants and desires. Often someone  doesn't won't  to spend time with others if it means having to change their plans.

What Jesus' attendance at the wedding in Cana tells us about Him is, He was willing to spend time with others no matter how busy He was.

We can apply this in our personal life, by taking time to spend with our families and friends.

• 2 months later...

Our lives have become busy with work and children. We have forgotten what is really important to us. At times it is difficult because of the distances between family members.

Jesus feels that family is very important. He puts aside His ministry to attend this wedding. He stops what He is doing to be with those that mean the most to Him.

We should never be so busy as to ignore our family. We should always make time for them just as Jesus did.

• 4 weeks later...

We're not really "too busy". We just either have something else that we choose to do or we just don't want to take the time out of our day to spend with family or friends. 

Jesus interacted socially with other, he was sincere & faithful to his family & friends, it was important to him that they knew this.

We should take the time to show our family & friends that we care, even if it is a 5 minute phone call, a cup of coffee, lunch etc..

• 4 weeks later...

Q1. (John 2:1-2)  Why are we sometimes "too busy" to spend time with friends and relatives?  What does Jesus' attendance at this wedding tell us about him? How can we apply that learning in our own personal lives?

1) Generally speaking, when you find yourself “too busy” to spend time with friends and relatives, in essence, what are really telling them is that your priorities are elsewhere and not on them at the time.  2) This wasn't just a passing event but some kind of family affair that Jesus had a close connection to.  By His attendance, Jesus demonstrates his approval of the sanctity of the marriage covenant and clearly demonstrates His dedication to His friends and family.  3) I believe the lesson here is that we should all try to treat our friends and family as a priority rather than a distraction in our lives.  By making them a priority we’ll be making time in our lives for them and, our friends and family are very important relationships and well worth nurturing.

• 2 weeks later...

Q1. (John 2:1-2) Why are we sometimes “too busy” to spend time with friends and relatives? What does Jesus’ attendance at this wedding tell us about him? How can we apply that learning in our own personal lives?

Today is not like Jesus Christ time. People today has to work longer hours, has families, some people are antisocial. Jesus Christ love all people and He always took time to socialize. We can try to be more loving.

• 1 month later...

Jesus and the wedding...  Isn't it so good to see Jesus our saviour and Lord was on a mission to save the whole world with only  3 years available for him, taking time out to go to a wedding with his friends.
I have so much enjoyed reading comments of my friends in this forum and am constantly nodding my head saying to myself yes this is me to.  I'm too busy with my own agenda to take the time of day to meet with friends and with people I don't know yet. 

Thank you everybody for such precious input and I'm praying that each one of us will grow stronger in our relationships with friends as we learn from this.
God bless you each one with many friends and time to spend with them and may he help me to do the same ...

A Question:   Can someone please remind me:  How do we insert the quote at the top of the lesson into our response?  I used to know  but I've forgotten... Many thanks

• 2 months later...

Q1. (John 2:1-2) Why are we sometimes "too busy" to spend time with friends and relatives? What does Jesus' attendance at this wedding tell us about him? How can we apply that learning in our own personal lives?

Maybe because we don't value our family and friends as we should.

I believe it shows that Jesus valued time with family and friends because the creator of the world took time

To attend. He valued and and loved people. ThankGod for his love.

I believe we need to put an emphasis on people ,loving people like our savior did and does.

Relationships are what Jesus was all about.

• 3 months later...

We have so many distractions and demands in our 24/7 modern day world that we are often overwhelmed by the pressures of keeping pace and it can be easy to end up overlooking friends and relatives. I guess we could tend to take those relationships for granted and have our focus on the wrong things for what is most important.  We are often self-absorbed and even selfish.

Jesus' attendance at this wedding revealed the high priority He placed on family and friends to celebrate that sacred event together.  We all certainly have legitimate obligations, but time shared with others is important.  Giving of self and nurturing relationships is what makes the difference in other people's lives.

• 11 months later...

People get caught up in the day to day routines and find themselves spread too thin. Time becomes a precious commodity. Our lesson teaches that weddings were large celebrations among family and friends. Jesus had family and friends. This wedding introduces us to His human side. We should slow down and realize the importance of family and friends, and make time work for us.

• 1 year later...

With the deepest respect to everyone on this forum and to Pastor Ralph, the miracle of turning water into wine is one story I have little interest in. In the past, when it comes to that part in John’s Gospel I skip over it. I think to myself why is this account of a wedding feast so important as to be mentioned in such a deep and spiritual gospel. 

I am asking all readers to understand that I am sincere in finding an answer that helps me on my spiritual journey.

Jesus had returned from Judea and had arrived at the small village of Cana. It was a time for celebration as there was a Jewish couple being married at the house of the bridegroom. Mary, the mother of Jesus approached Jesus to see what he could do to provide more wine as the reserves had run dry. After speaking with his mother he agreed to perform his first miracle to mark the beginning of his ministry. When he turned water into wine the only people who witnessed the miracle were some servants and maybe his mother. There is mention that his disciples may have seen what had happen and this sign of Jesus’ power was the first of many signs that was to follow to convinced them to believe in him.

The one line of scripture that stands out to me as having a message to the story is when the steward calls the bridegroom and said, “Everyone serves the good wine first, and then the inferior wine after the guests have become drunk. But you have kept the good wine until now”.  There has to be a hidden meaning under these words otherwise John would not have mentioned the conversation between the steward and bridegroom.

I may be wrong but I am suggesting the wine represents the word of God. The wedding feast to unite the bride and bridegroom represents the covenant God made with the Israelites mentioned in the Old Testament or the Hebrew Torah. The servants are substitutes for the Minor Prophets whereas the steward represents an unnamed Major Prophet still active at the time of Jesus.

Back when God made his covenant with Abraham and the arrival on the scene of Moses the Israelites were indeed receiving (drinking) the word (wine) of God and celebrating the promise God made to His people. Given what had transpired before the Exodus and the favourable changes that followed it would have been an on-going festive season for the Israelites. Plenty of wine would have been flowing and intoxicating the people.

Consuming more wine until everyone was drunk bolstered the feasting. When that point was reached people were prepared to drink inferior wine. The taste of good wine was no concern to them as their ability to discern between fine wine and inferior wine was absent.

While everyone was loosing his or her cognitive ability to reason, the wedding steward (unnamed major Prophet) was on the job sampling the new wine that appeared out of nowhere. The taste of this new wine (word of God) was so above the ordinary and of high quality, the steward went to congratulate the bridegroom (God) for saving the good wine until last.

The discovery of untapped supplies of new wine represents the arrival of Jesus into the world. His new wine (ministry) will out rank the quality of all past wines known to mankind.

Footnote

I also think that there is a relationship between the wedding feast at Cana and the parable of the wine skins in the Gospel Matthew, Mark and Luke.

He also told them a parable: “No one tears a piece of cloth from a new garment and sews it on an old one. If he does, he will tear the new garment as well, and the patch from the new will not match the old. 37And no one pours new wine into old wine skins. If he does, the new wine will burst the skins, the wine will spill, and the wine skins will be ruined. 38Instead, new wine is poured into new wine skins.…Luke 5:36-37

Edited by Paul Hodge
Add footnote

Q1. (John 2:1-2) Why are we sometimes “too busy” to spend time with friends and relatives? What does Jesus’ attendance at this wedding tell us about him? How can we apply that learning in our own personal lives?

Jesus was respecting the social customs that united the community. His willingness to be inclusive gave a sign to the people who knew him that he was walking alongside them. It was important that Jesus demonstrate the Divine is prepared to walk in the company the ordinary folk living in Cana. He was prepared to share their joy and sorrow when it counted for something in their eyes. Likewise, in our own personal relationships it is important that we demonstrate empathy is a sincere and authentic manner and not be superficial. This will count for more even if we are not around more than we should on social occasions. But  be there in the the thick of it when the chips are down.

• 2 months later...

He maintained contact with his relatives and friends. He was not like John the Baptist who was not a "party person".  Interestingly John was derided for living simply and Jesus was criticized for mixing with all sorts of people along with eating and drinking. The main point, however, is this, that Jesus accepted the invitation for the entire group. He was not an ascetic. He came eating and drinking (Mat_11:19).

Jesus cared about people and wanted to help make this wedding celebration memorable for the hosts and their guests. We too should look out as to how we can bless others socially – not being self-absorbed and "doing our own thing".  Be alert to people and their needs.

• 2 weeks later...

The reason that we are “too busy” to spend time with friends and relatives is because we have chosen work over being with our friends. Jesus’ attendance at the wedding tells us he is interested in everything that we do and wants our marriage to work out. The way that we can apply this leaning in our own lives is to reasonably put our friends above our work and make time for them.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I believe we are sometimes too busy to spend time with family and friends is because we are self focused and not other focused like other societies are. We also are so into social networking that we forget about who is in the room now. We become a person who wants to text to someone on the phone instead of talk to someone in person. This shows we have forgotten who is important to us in our lives. 

Jesus' attendance at the wedding tells us that he wants to be social with the society and makes friends and family important. It also states that He hasn't forgotten who is in need of His love either. It shows that us that he cares enough to engage with society. 

We can apply it in all areas of our lives by learning to put down our cell phones when someone is talking to us and talk to them face to face instead. We can learn to engage with society more by learning to talk to people more about ourselves. 

• 5 months later...

There could be a variety of reasons. Primarily it could be because we are so self-centered and the carnal nature in us look only in self-interests rather than the furtherance of the kingdom. We may not have the agape love in us to love other beyond their shortcomings. Procrastination and laziness could be another reason whereby we don’t want to go out of our comfort zone. We do not know how to prioritize what is important and may spend time on unimportant things that take our time and causing busyness in our lives. We may not value strong bonding relationships and the shallow relationships do not satisfy us and therefore the petty differences we face in our relationships cause us to shun them altogether.

Jesus valued relationships for His earthly life was motivated by love for the people. He prioritized family relationships a lot and he attended social events and brought joy to those events.

Jesus is our role model and the one whom we need to emulate. For this we need His grace and His Holy Spirit, to be like Him. Then it will be possible to show love to all around us.

• 2 months later...
On 8/7/2014 at 1:36 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

(1)We are too consumed with "what's happening in the world of politics, business, riches, health and ourselves!

(2)He was invited, because He had family friends there.  But, most importantly, to show us that the marriage is a socred and Holy thing to God, who established it

(3) The true marriage is between the (bride) the church, which is the body of believers, and the (groom) which is Christ, it is a covenant with God and us!

Our application is to worship and honor God through our lives because of our covenant with God.

On 1/27/2018 at 6:22 AM, Paul Hodge said:

With the deepest respect to everyone on this forum and to Pastor Ralph, the miracle of turning water into wine is one story I have little interest in. In the past, when it comes to that part in John’s Gospel I skip over it. I think to myself why is this account of a wedding feast so important as to be mentioned in such a deep and spiritual gospel. 

I am asking all readers to understand that I am sincere in finding an answer that helps me on my spiritual journey.

Jesus had returned from Judea and had arrived at the small village of Cana. It was a time for celebration as there was a Jewish couple being married at the house of the bridegroom. Mary, the mother of Jesus approached Jesus to see what he could do to provide more wine as the reserves had run dry. After speaking with his mother he agreed to perform his first miracle to mark the beginning of his ministry. When he turned water into wine the only people who witnessed the miracle were some servants and maybe his mother. There is mention that his disciples may have seen what had happen and this sign of Jesus’ power was the first of many signs that was to follow to convinced them to believe in him.

The one line of scripture that stands out to me as having a message to the story is when the steward calls the bridegroom and said, “Everyone serves the good wine first, and then the inferior wine after the guests have become drunk. But you have kept the good wine until now”.  There has to be a hidden meaning under these words otherwise John would not have mentioned the conversation between the steward and bridegroom.

I may be wrong but I am suggesting the wine represents the word of God. The wedding feast to unite the bride and bridegroom represents the covenant God made with the Israelites mentioned in the Old Testament or the Hebrew Torah. The servants are substitutes for the Minor Prophets whereas the steward represents an unnamed Major Prophet still active at the time of Jesus.

Back when God made his covenant with Abraham and the arrival on the scene of Moses the Israelites were indeed receiving (drinking) the word (wine) of God and celebrating the promise God made to His people. Given what had transpired before the Exodus and the favourable changes that followed it would have been an on-going festive season for the Israelites. Plenty of wine would have been flowing and intoxicating the people.

Consuming more wine until everyone was drunk bolstered the feasting. When that point was reached people were prepared to drink inferior wine. The taste of good wine was no concern to them as their ability to discern between fine wine and inferior wine was absent.

While everyone was loosing his or her cognitive ability to reason, the wedding steward (unnamed major Prophet) was on the job sampling the new wine that appeared out of nowhere. The taste of this new wine (word of God) was so above the ordinary and of high quality, the steward went to congratulate the bridegroom (God) for saving the good wine until last.

The discovery of untapped supplies of new wine represents the arrival of Jesus into the world. His new wine (ministry) will out rank the quality of all past wines known to mankind.

Footnote

I also think that there is a relationship between the wedding feast at Cana and the parable of the wine skins in the Gospel Matthew, Mark and Luke.

He also told them a parable: “No one tears a piece of cloth from a new garment and sews it on an old one. If he does, he will tear the new garment as well, and the patch from the new will not match the old. 37And no one pours new wine into old wine skins. If he does, the new wine will burst the skins, the wine will spill, and the wine skins will be ruined. 38Instead, new wine is poured into new wine skins.…Luke 5:36-37

Great spiritual insight.  I love it!  It opens a whole new understanding for me.  Thank you, brother

• 6 months later...
  1. Q1. (John 2:1-2) Why are we sometimes "too busy" to spend time with friends and relatives? Sometimes we are “too busy” to spend time with friends and relatives because they’ll be coming to ask for something, bring squabbles and complaints or just gossip; at the same time, if we do, we might be missing the opportunity to be a light in the darkness, to practical about our discipleship, and to point my friends and relatives to Jesus.
  2. What does Jesus' attendance at this wedding tell us about him? Jesus’ attendance at this wedding tells us though He is God, He is also fully human and humble enough to fulfill and not shun family visitations where He is just another invitee renewing family connections over food and drink.
  3. How can we apply that learning in our own personal lives? We can apply that learning in our personal lives by being ready to “hang out” with friends and relatives in order to take advantage of the slightest of openings to lead them to discipleship by example because people come to Christ by personal recommendation of a person they know and respect. It might also get us to leading in prayer.

• 1 year later...

To be honest, we know that they will be cynical.   I have been through such get togethers.  Here in NYC, people are cynical, even when you are longsuffering and listen to many monologs; they are not Hungary for the spiritual food.   Another thing, I cannot tolerate foul language and useless chatter.  It grieves me to no end to listen to idle conversations.

Christ truly cared about these people.  Nathaniel must have made a deep impression on Jesus Christ.   Christ knew his character.  I wonder if the people at the wedding were like the Bereans?  Perhaps I they were like tribe of Issachar that knew the signs of the times ?  Christ knew that Nathaniel truly was searching for the truth for some time.   Christ knew that the people at the wedding feast were open to behold the glory of God !  

Indeed we should have such fellowship.   I personally have had nice times with non Christains.   One Muslim wedding reception was an enjoyable time.  No foul language and no carousing, very dignified!  Through genuine friendship, we can be such witnesses of our Lord Jesus Christ.  We speak with meekness and love when questioned about our faith.  Yes, genuine friendships can be such channels for our testimonies.