JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Miracles and Faith

It's shallow, it's not real faith, it's belief on what you can physically see - not faith

No, true faith is belief not only in what you can see, hear, touch, smell, taste etc..., but also on what you cant see, hear, touch, smell, taste etc....

God - a change in the person.

Jesus wanted those with true faith, not fake (false) faith.

• 4 weeks later...

Q3. (John 2:23-25) What is the problem with faith that rests solely on miracles?  Is it true faith?  What is necessary for it to develop into true faith?  Did Jesus see these problems as a reason not to perform miracles?

1)  The person who’s faith is rooted in the Bible and the person who believes because of some perceived miracle may arrive at the same conclusion but the absolutely do not possess the same faith.  Without the Word, faith in miracles alone is nothing more than affirmation of a lack of faith.  2) Faith that relies solely on signs and miracles isn’t true faith at all.  Jesus (and His disciples) only used miracles to reinforce His teaching and to validate His claim of being the Son of God.  The basis of faith is in His teachings, not the signs used to underscore them.  As a Christian we shouldn’t be putting our faith in miracles; we should be putting our faith and your trust in the Lord.  3)  In addition to prayer and meditation, faith comes from studying, validating and learning to live by The Word of God.  4) No, Jesus continued to perform miracles in the presence of a multitude of credible witnesses and hostile observers to advance his ministry.

• 1 month later...

Why did Jesus perform miracles?  John 20: 30-31 "30  Jesus did many other miraculous signs in the presence of his disciples, which are not recorded in this book. 31  But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name." 

It may be hard for people to think about the miracles Jesus performed in terms of why He did them instead of what the miracles did.  It is not what He could do but why He did it.

• 2 months later...

Q3. (John 2:23-25) What is the problem with faith that rests solely on miracles? Is it true faith? What is necessary for it to develop into true faith? Did Jesus see these problems as a reason not to perform miracles?

Faith that rest on miracles is not faith in the person of Jesus Christ the miracle worker.

I believe it's a trust that wether a miracle happens or not Jesus/God is good and on his throne

Sovereign it's a knowledge of the miracle worker.

I believe he did see the problem,that's why he did not perform miracles in his home town no faith

Just wanted to see miracles.

• 1 year later...

Q3. (John 2:23-25) What is the problem with faith that rests solely on miracles? Is it true faith? What is necessary for it to develop into true faith? Did Jesus see these problems as a reason not to perform miracles?

Faith that rests solely on miracles is not faith that relies on Jesus. It is faith that soon withers and fades. To be true faith it must be based on Jesus and the message he brings, based on what Jesus did for us. This is faith that grows stronger and stronger. Jesus knew mans nature and realized that miracles did not produce deep faith. Jesus used miracles only to prove He is the Son of God not as a means to induce faith. Faith is something that must have a strong and proper foundation. Miracles are the bona fides of Jesus ministry but not the foundation for faith.

• 4 months later...

When I first became a Christian I was so excited to see that God is a God of miracles and does amazing things in our lives. I couldn't get enough books about people being healed, physically or from traumatic experiences, childhood traumas etc. or how God supernaturally touched their lives.

I knew that Jesus died on the cross for me and that I was forgiven and I loved embracing my new Christian life. And yet the Lord needed to reveal to me that I didn't really know Him. Slowly I found Jesus through sitting at His feet, absorbing the gospels, finding Him in a deeper and deeper way.

I get excited about the amazing "coincidences" God blesses my life with but nothing excites me more than the fact that we can know Jesus intimately, love Him, hear Him, lay our lives before Him and through Him have the incredible privilege of coming to the Father.

• 7 months later...

I was having a telephone conversation with a Christian friend and the subject of miracles was raised because she had a close friend (also a Christian and wife of a local Pastor) who was fighting cancer. Every Sunday the congregation would pray for this woman to be healed. 

This had me thinking what would happen to the ‘Faith’ within the congregation if the Pastor’s wife was not healed and she had a premature death because of cancer? And what happens to those Christians who come to church and walk up to the front to have the congregation pray over them in the hope of being healed and are not?

Then it dawned on me a event in Jesus’ life – his death on the cross?

As Jesus hung on the cross dying, his divinity was mocked a number of times by onlookers. 

29 And those who passed by derided him, wagging their heads, and saying, “Aha! You who would destroy the temple and build it in three days, 30 save yourself, and come down from the cross!” 31 So also the chief priests mocked him to one another with the scribes, saying, “He saved others; he cannot save himself. 32 Let the Christ, the King of Israel, come down now from the cross, that we may see and believe.” Those who were crucified with him also reviled him. Mark 15:29-32 Revised Standard Version (RSV)

I was left contemplating why Jesus didn’t come down from the Cross. I came to the conclusion that dying on the cross did have a purpose. Yes suffering does have a purpose. In the case of Jesus if he had come down from the cross would have undermined the greater miracle of his resurrection.

Recall the time Jesus had the opportunity to visit the house of Lazarus to heal him but instead delay his arrival and allowed Lazarus to die. He could have prevented the pain of grief experienced by Lazarus’ family but there was a purpose behind his neglect to come sooner.

Likewise, in our daily lives we are faced with the same questions – why does a loving God allow those who are seeking his help to continue to suffer? 

In the moment of suffering we have two choices – curse God or honor God by the way we live alongside suffering. We can walk away from God or walk closer to God. To walk closer to God takes a tremendous amount of faith. It is the most difficult path to walk down. But is it as difficult and painful as walking the road to Calvary? In Hebrews 2:18 “Because he himself was tested by what he suffered, he is able to help those that are being tested”.

I have witnessed and experience  suffering in my life. My faith has been tested time and time again. Yes I wanted to see a miracle to reinforce my faith especially when it came to seeing innocent children suffering from hunger, disease and war.

As I am writing now I can sense a miracle is happening. I would not have become the person I am if I had not gone through periods of doubt and suffering. I would not have been so inspired and blessed by those people who have taught me valuable lessons on how to appreciate life and live it to my full potential. By another’s suffering I have been healed spiritually and my Faith strengthened.

"Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell". Matthew 10:28 [ Some may disagree with me but I see hell as being a state where the soul is forever denied experiencing the divine presence of God]

When I was young I became very attached to the idea of giving priority to enjoying the pleasures of life. This required me to have a healthy body to get around and have fun. Now some 40 years on my body has aged and although I have no terminal illness my attitude to life has undergo many changes. What kept me going was the Faith I was gifted with as a young boy.

"Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me". Ps 23:4

• 3 months later...

Faith that solely rests on miracles will not get you through because after the miracle is performed we would want another one. When you don’t get another miracle then your faith is diminished. True faith is believing in something that cannot be seen. When you develop a true faith then that faith is with you at all times no matter what happens. Yes, Jesus did see these problems but he was trying to get as many as possible to believe in him.

• 2 months later...

Q3. (John 2:23-25) What is the problem with faith that rests solely on miracles?

Faith that rests on solely on miracles is shallow and fickle like people who support a team only when they are winning. 

Is it true faith?  No this is not true faith, Faith endures through circumstances big and small and is our building block that leads to spiritual maturity in Christ.  

What is necessary for it to develop into true faith? entrust oneself to an entity in complete confidence, believe (in), trust, with implication of total commitment to the one who is trusted

Did Jesus see these problems as a reason not to perform miracles? No because he offers the greatest miracle of all, to be killed and to rise 3 days later.

• 4 months later...

The problem with faith that rest solely on miracles; it does not focus on the Miracle Worker meaning the Lord. When one doesn't trust the Lord fully for the plan He has for one's life. That means they refuse to realize who is to truly in control of their lives which is God. As Natalie Grant's song More than anything says we need to fully rely on God as Savior, Giver, and everything else He is. The one and only way for it to develop into true faith is for the believer to realize that the miracles are not everything but just a small part of their lives. That they can't expect to be healed all the time either because that is not how it works. Yes He did because it was a form of unbelief in his eyes and they did not truly believe in Him. 

• 5 months later...

Bible says that faith comes not by miracles but by hearing the word of God. The children of Israel saw so many miracles, but their hearts were not steadfast upon the Lord. Whereas Moses who heard the word of the Lord remained submitted to the Lord throughout His life. Miracles will happen as signs to draw people to the Lord. But if we solely depend upon miracles, there will be a fall out in faith very soon, when there are no miracles.

There was prophecy that there will be an abundant of miracles when Messiah comes. So the abundance of miracles was a sign in itself of the fact that Jesus is the Messiah. He wanted the people to be drawn unto the Messiah and that’s the reason why Jesus did miracles.

• 2 months later...

Q3. (John 2:23-25) What is the problem with faith that rests solely on miracles?

Faith that rests on miracles alone, and doesn't mature to embrace Jesus and follow him, is shallow and fickle.

Is it true faith? No.

What is necessary for it to develop into true faith?

It must mature to embrace Jesus and follow Him.  I think of the seeds sown in bad soil and good soil.  One produces fruit.  One doesn't. 

Did Jesus see these problems as a reason not to perform miracles?  No. 

• 1 year later...

The problem of centering  on miracles is that one's focus isn't on the  sovereignty of God.   What a problem in our age.  God has been reduced to an indulgent uncle.   Christ was referring to the sign of His Resurrection.  All through John's Gospel, Christ's hour is Calvary.

A faith that is based on miracles is spurious.   It has not been properly based on the Holy  Bible.   All throughout the Bible, faith is always stressed in matters of doctrine and prayer.  Yes, such faith needs to be developed.  Christ is very patient with us as He was with His Apostles.  Such development of faith is  Essential because God knows that we will go through periods of suffering.   A strong faith is absolutely essential during times of pain and suffering.

God will do miracles; God know our limitations of faith.  The  Centurion and the woman of Tyre and countless others had faith though it may have small.  God had compassion on these shepherdlesss peoples.   After Pentecost,  their faith was refined even more when they had  Pentecostal Baptism.  We go from glory to glory.  Apostles Peter and Thomas could testify how faith grew.

• 3 months later...

1. What is the problem with faith that rests solely on miracles?

The problem with "miracle faith" is that it never grows or gets us anywhere. We may have it for a little, but as soon as tough times come, filled with no miracles, our faith fails and we completely lose our faith. "Miracle faith" will not get us into Heaven! True faith will though!!!

2. Is it true faith?

No, not at all! It is certainly "A" faith, but, if it doesn't grow and gets us nowhere closer to God, it is not true faith. If anything, it's a simple trust in miracles!!!

3. What is necessary for it to develop into true faith?

For "miracle faith to develop into true faith, the focus needs to shift from "miracles," to "Jesus!" If we plant out faith (hope, and trust) in Jesus, we will grow in faith, draw near to God, become a child of God, and inherit eternal life!!!

4. Did Jesus see these problems as a reason not to perform miracles?

Nope! If Jesus did see these problems as a reason not to perform miracles, very little miracles would have been done by Jesus and the Gospels (and the whole Bible; New and Old Testament) would be much shorter!!!

THANK YOU JESUS!!!!!!!

• 5 months later...

John 2:23-25) What is the problem with faith that rests solely on miracles?

The faith is then not on the Miracle Worker Himself but only on the deed. When the miracles stop , the faith stops. So this faith is not very stable. 

Is it true faith?

No it is not true faith. 

What is necessary for it to develop into true faith?

Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the Word of God. That means we need to get into the Word. Read it. Study it. Ask God to reveal hidden mysteries so the eyes of your understanding are opened. 

Did Jesus see these problems as a reason not to perform miracles?

He was careful because He knew the heart of man. As soon as things are different to the way you want it to be man changes sides. Easily deserts. His nature is to 'look after' his own interests. So easily a friend becomes a foe.