JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Seeing the Kingdom

Q1. (John 3:3, 5) What does Jesus teach here about the nature of the Kingdom of God? Do you think Nicodemus understands him? Why or why not?

I just love reading the replies from all the members.  There is such a depth of love, devotion and understanding amongst us and I thank the Lord for each person.  Some are saying however the Kingdom of God is a spiritual kingdom... I'm not sure I agree with that.  Certainly you have to enter it through a spiritual transformation by committing to follow Christ and thus be filled with the Holy Spirit. .

But I see the true Kingdom of God is a place where God reigns and is King...  And of course when Christ comes in glory to reign on earth he will establish his kingdom.  A real kingdom...  but there is a final greater Kingdom.  

Eventually after all the events of the Apocalypse we will have a new heavens and a new earth .. The heavenly kingdom which is to come..  Is a real place a new heavens and new earth where God reigns.  I can't wait for that  : )

Here's another interesting thought today:  we are NOT mortal beings traveling through this world seeking a spiritual experience.  Rather we are spiritual beings traveling through this world of pain on our way to our final destination.

This recognizes that the REAL me is a spiritual being destined to live for ever ...  AND we will know each other in Heaven having new bodies like our Lord's.

Doesn't that put a different slant on everything.  Blessings on you all -Denis, New Zealand -     

The Word of God states that Flesh and blood can not enter the Kingdom of God. (1 Corinthians 15:50). Jesus was explaining to Nicodemus basically how we need to live our life spiritually. Our flesh(sinful nature) will not enter the Kingdom of God but if we accept Jesus as our Lord and Savior and allow His Holy Spirit to abide in us then the Spirit of God will teach us how to live, how to be reborn (spiritually speaking). The Word of God also teaches us how to live according how Jesus wants us to live. Nicodemus was understanding Jesus on a physical matter. All this spiritual talk was not his way of living or thinking. Jesus came to teach us His way and how to die to our sinful nature(the flesh). 

I want to believe down the road Nicodemus continued to learn from Jesus and then maybe was getting this new spiritual way of living.  He certainly had a hunger and thirst to know more about Jesus and the Truth. 

• 2 months later...

Q1. (John 3:3, 5) What does Jesus teach here about the nature of the Kingdom of God? Do you think Nicodemus understands him? Why or why not?

Jesus teaches that the kingdom is a spiritual kingdom not a physical place.

I believe Nicodemus did not understand because of his answer " how can one enter into his mothers womb when he is old?"

• 1 month later...

Jesus revealed two related qualities about the Kingdom of God. It is not of the natural world, and it is of the spiritual realm. 1) No one can see or discern this Kingdom without experiencing the second birth, meaning being spiritually born anew from heaven. You cannot see or understand spiritual things in a spiritually dead state. 2) And no one can enter this Kingdom apart from being born of water and the Spirit. You cannot enter into eternal life without spiritual transformation.

Nicodemus had questions and recognized that Jesus had to be acting in the power of God. He was seeking truth, but here he didn't grasp what Jesus was telling him. When Jesus spoke of being “born again”, Nicodemus immediately asked about a second physical birth. He focused on an unnatural “impossible” concept instead of what Jesus was revealing about God's promised Kingdom. He was hearing through the human reason and logic of his knowledge of God through Law. But he needed spiritual discernment and understanding in order to exercise faith in the God of that Law. I don't fault Nicodemus for his very human perspective and first response. And neither did Jesus, as He went on the challenge what Nicodemus thought he knew and bring more light of truth to this seeker's understanding.

• 1 year later...

Jesus taught the Kingdom of God is a spiritual place not of this world. Nicodemus was confused when Jesus explained the way to enter the Kingdom of God was to be born again. Nicodemus understood "born again" in the physical sense. He did not understand the meaning as spiritual.

• 11 months later...

Given that the central message of Jesus is more about the spiritual mysteries contained in this discussion between Nicodemus and Jesus I am not sure what this question means by the nature of the Kingdom of God.

Therefore, I am going to answer as follows:

My thoughts turn to the other times Jesus attempts to describe what the Kingdom God is like and it is fair to say that he is teaching about the nature of the Kingdom of God. Here are some examples:

And He was saying, "The kingdom of God is like a man who casts seed upon the soil; Mark 4:26-29

"The kingdom of heaven is like a treasure hidden in the field, which a man found and hid again; and from joy over it he goes and sells all that he has and buys that field. Matthew 13:44-46

He presented another parable to them, saying, "The kingdom of heaven is like a mustard seed, which a man took and sowed in his field; Matthew 13:31-43 and the same parable is mentioned in Mark 4:30-32.

However, in this meeting with Nicodemus Jesus does not use this kind of language to help him understand the nature of likeness of the Kingdom of God. Instead Jesus is teaching Nicodemus how to enter or immerse oneself into the Kingdom of God.

Jesus replied, “Very truly I tell you, no one can see the kingdom of God unless they are born again. 

To see something it must exist in a form that is real to the observer. So was Jesus referring to an earthly kingdom that is possible to build if mankind can partake in a new approach to how it can be achieved? Is it possible for all of mankind to rethink their history (be reborn) before God offers them a second chance at replicating the kingdom of God here on earth?

To my mind, Jesus was saying it was necessary for a man to have a change of heart or attitude before he could understand the will of God in his life. Jesus was stressing that such a change of heart had to be so significant as to be equal to such a dramatic transformation similar to being born again. As individuals, and as a collective society, we are being asked by Jesus to lay aside any bias, prejudice, pre-conceptions, single-mindedness, and narcissism – any thought, action or persuasion that opposes the Kingdom of God. If this was to happen there is not mistaking that this transformation is being born again.

5 Jesus answered, “Very truly I tell you, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless they are born of water and the Spirit. 6 Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit.

It is now we read that Jesus is using the words can enter the kingdom of God”. Listened carefully to how Jesus explains how a man can enter into God’s kingdom “unless they are born of water and the Spirit”.

Then Jesus follows with the words, Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit. I take that to mean that any matter that is corruptible and temporal i.e. our bodies cannot make the transient step into the spiritual realm of God’ s kingdom.

However, when God gave the first man Adam the breath of life He also gave man a spiritual element that actually ignites and sustains life. It is this same incorruptible, everlasting, non-changing Spirit that is in mankind today.

Stand in the sunlight. Your eyes tell you that it is the sun that is giving out heat but it is not until you feels its warmth that you are somehow held in the bosom of its life giving power that encompasses all living beings on earth.

The Word [Light] of God gives us the insight to knowing God but it is the Holy Spirit that enables us to feel His presence, His love and His mercy – feel His warmth.

As for the meaning of being born of water has a symbolic importance because water has the power to cleanse. Wash away all stain caused by our transgressions.

This brings to mind the time when my first child was baptized. My wife and I had him dressed in a pure white garment having no stains before he was presented to the priest to have the water poured over his tiny head.

Jesus could see a worried look on Nicodemus’ face and told him that in time he will come to realise the full understanding of the words, ‘You must be born again.’ The response of Nicodemus was somewhat off the mark when he interpreted the word of Jesus as meaning a physical re-birth of the body.

7 You should not be surprised at my saying, ‘You must be born again.’ 8 The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit.”

• 3 months later...

I think that Jesus is teaching us that the nature of the Kingdom of God is that you have to repent of your sins and that you have to be invited and accept the invitation by God in order to see that kingdom. I do think that Nicodemus does understand him because when Jesus was crucified Nicodemus want to help with the burial and he also stood up for Jesus.

• 7 months later...

That seeing the Kingdom of God is something that can not be seen by the natural man but only the spiritually renewed man. No he does not because he thinks Jesus it means going back in the womb.  

• 5 months later...

Here Jesus is teaching two things about the Kingdom:

1. Because we are in the confines of space time, how much ever we try, we will not be able to understand or see the kingdom unless God enables us to see it. So there should be spiritual discernment with God’s enablement in order to see the kingdom.

2. We have life here on earth because of our birth. To have new life, a new birth is required because all humanity was born spiritually dead on arrival on this earth. To enter into the kingdom, we need to be born from above. Unless a person is changed spiritually, he cannot enter into the kingdom, so the kingdom can only be spiritually entered.

Nicodemus took Jesus statement literally of entering into one’s mother’s womb so he is perplexed, for he does not understand Jesus. All devout Jews believed that there are six important moments of spiritual transformation during one’s life, like a Jewish boy having his bar mitzvah, marriage, becoming a rabbi etc. Not all men would experience these six moments, but they believed that each moment would result in spiritual advancement. Being a devout Pharisee, Nicodemus would have experienced all the six moments, but there was no moment where a person enters his mother’s womb again. Even though Nicodemus didn’t understand, at this point of time, his later actions show that he understood what Jesus meant by being born again.

• 1 month later...

What does Jesus teach here about the nature of the Kingdom of God?

No one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again.  No one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit.  Jesus is teacing Nicodemus that the kingdom of God is spirotual and we must be born again by the Spirit to see it or enter it. 

Do you think Nicodemus understands him? No.

Why or why not? Because of John 3:9-10

9  'How can this be?' Nicodemus asked.
10  'You are Israel's teacher,' said Jesus, 'and do you not understand these things?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

The nature of the Kingdom of  God is currently present.   It is an invisible kingdom.  We have in John's Gospel realized eschatology.   John had such a deep understanding that judgment has already begun.  When we are born again,  we now share the eternal life of God. 

Nicodemus didn't understand what Christ was saying.   Nicodrmus' focus was on the signs that Christ was doing.   Many of the Early followers of Christ were amazed when they witnessed the miracles that Jesus did.   Where were these followers during the closing days of Jesus before He was arrested ?   Nicodemus had to realize that Jesus Christ was much more than a good rabbi; He needed to come to that point of accepting Christ as the Word of God, only begotten Son of God and as the Lamb of God.

• 3 months later...

1. What does Jesus teach here about the nature of the Kingdom of God?

Here, Jesus teaches us that the Kingdom of God is spiritual and can only be obtained by being born again of water and the Holy Spirit. The only way to receive and enter into the Kingdom of God is to have God Himself open your eyes and let you in.

2. Do you think Nicodemus understands Him? Why or why not?

I do not think Nicodemus understands Jesus yet, because he thinks being born again is a physical deed, rather than the spiritual deed that it actually is.

THANK YOU JESUS!!!!!!!

• 5 months later...

(John 3:3, 5)

What does Jesus teach here about the nature of the Kingdom of God?

Do you think Nicodemus understands Him?

Why or why not?

The Kingdom of God is spiritually discerned and spiritually entered. 

A birth is a start, a new beginning. 

In essence Jesus is saying that a "new personality" must come about. As a personality is generally formed as a result of the experience of the years gone by, this is not an easy phenomenon. Nicodemus is then questioning, how can this be. How can all the experience be wiped away? How can the past be undone? 

Yes, I do think Nicodemus understands Him eventually. 

At this stage he is still perplexed and formulating more questions in his mind to bring out answers which satisfy his questioning.