JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 3 months later...

Q1. (John 6:5-9) Why does Jesus try to get the disciples to own the task of feeding the crowds?

It was on the job training, as they were soon going to be "fishers of men", with the responsibility of "feeding" them spiritually the "living Bread" of life after He ascended to Heaven. They were not just to be observers, but participants...so they would never forget. Before the miracle, when He tested them, they assumed the only way to feed the multitude was to go into a town to buy food, but knew that was impossible, as there was not enough money. He was training them to depend upon Him as their source for every need..

What is the significance to the story of the boy’s five loaves and two little fish?

Jesus can take the little we have and with His touch can multiply it to meet whatever needs He sees in and around us...be it gifts, material goods, or whatever we have, He is never limited by our limits or lack.

Miracles are always about human impossibility...and His power demonstrated in His love.

Q1. (John 6:5-9) Why does Jesus try to get the disciples to own the task of feeding the crowds?

There can be a number of reasons. 1st of coarse is because He knew that they would try to do it on their own.

So often when we have a fiscal problem we don't involve God, we try to solve it on our own, instead of going straight to God.

2nd He wanted them to realize the enormity of the miracle. They could not do it but He can.

3rd is best for us. For us to form a relationship with God we have to believe God exists. The best way to have our faith grows is to experience Him. We are tiny and weak in the universe but God still wants us to do something as well so that we can experience Him working through us. Then He becomes real to us and our faith and relationship really grows fast.

What is the significance to the story of the boy’s five loaves and two little fish?

God just needs our availablity and willingness

He can do anything with our little.

I can't but God CAN!!! doesn't matter what is the situation

There can be a number of reasons. 1st of coarse is because He knew that they would try to do it on their own.

So often when we have a fiscal problem we don't involve God, we try to solve it on our own, instead of going straight to God.

2nd He wanted them to realize the enormity of the miracle. They could not do it but He can.

3rd is best for us. For us to form a relationship with God we have to believe God exists. The best way to have our faith grows is to experience Him. We are tiny and weak in the universe but God still wants us to do something as well so that we can experience Him working through us. Then He becomes real to us and our faith and relationship really grows fast.

God just needs our availablity and willingness

He can do anything with our little.

I can't but God CAN!!! doesn't matter what is the situation

(John 6:5-9) Why does Jesus try to get the disciples to own the task of feeding the crowds?

Jesus teaches us several aspects about himself in this passage and this would have been his intention for his disciples of the day. First Jesus tested his disciples by asking Philip how they could feed all the people. You would think the disciples had been with Jesus long enough for them to realise by now, what he was capable of. So Philip first of all thought about money, and suggested that buying food would be impossible-bearing in mind that there could have been more that 10,000 people on that hillside as 5000 was only the number of men there. Andrew then noted that there was a 'lad' who had some food, so he must have gone to the trouble of finding this out. This answer was probably more pleasing to Jesus as Andrew had gone to the trouble of at least doing ths.

Jesus showed his disciples that he was full of compassion for the people (Matt 9:36) as he didn't want to send them all away to go and get the food, bearing in mind that they would probably have had to travel for a signicant number of hours and a considerable distance to find food to supply all those people. So he also taught his disciples that He was able to supply more that enough food for all the people. In addition, he uses this miracle to teach them that he was the "bread of life" (verse 35) so they will never go hungry, nor thirst, if they put there trust in them. But of course, he was teaching them a spiritual lesson.

Q1. (John 6:5-9) 

Why does Jesus try to get the disciples to own the task of feeding the crowds? 

What is the significance to the story of the boy's five loaves and two little fish?

We read in Mat 14:15 that when evening came the disciples wanted Jesus to send the people away into the villages to get food. But Jesus knew they were hungry, and that the vast quantity of food required to feed everyone, would not be readily available at this late hour in the villages. He knows that He has to provide the food, but He first challenges His disciples with the need as a way of testing and strengthening their faith. Philip’s faith was weak as he found the situation impossible to solve. Andrew, however, did try to find a solution, telling Jesus that he had found a boy with 5 barley loaves and 2 fish, obviously too little to feed the people. So, we see they both failed the test of faith, but they had already seen Jesus perform many miracles, yet they could not come up with a solution to the problem. Not one of them saw in Jesus the power to provide. He took the boy’s food, blessed it, broke it, handed it out to His disciples, and fed the whole crowd. The story of the little boy shows us that with whatever little we have, we need to give it all we’ve got and leave the rest to Jesus. 

Q1. (John 6:5-9) Why does Jesus try to get the disciples to own the task of feeding the crowds? What is the significance to the story of the boy's five loaves and two little fish?

I think he is trying to tell that even he takes care of them they too should care for the people who he will soon leave them with.

The significance is that the small resouces entrusted to the Lord can be multiplied to meet the needs of others and ours of course.

Q1. (John 6:5-9) Why does Jesus try to get the disciples to own the task of feeding the crowds? What is the significance to the story of the boy’s five loaves and two little fish?

In my opinion, I think that Jesus was about to teach them a lesson that pointed to His Sovereignty.  Jesus sent them out to do a task that He knew they could not perform but that they would come to realized that indeed Jesus is the Provider of and meets our needs when the task seems impossible.  The story of the boy’s five loaves and two little fish shows that WITH GOD ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE.

John 6:6 tells me it was a test for Philip to prove him, to see what kind of faith these miracles are producing, will it touch the soul and produce that which brings “COMPASSION” for others as Christ showed for those or continued with him and had nothing to eat, or would it bring that of “Self Serving” which stems from hardened hearts that the flesh produces: Those who not only saw but followed Jesus, they were seeking not to find, but to have the flesh satisfied; (V26) Verily, verily, I say to you, Ye seek me, not because ye saw the signs, but because ye ate the bread and were satisfied.

Q. What is the significance to the story of the boy's five loaves and two little fish?

To me the significance of this story is that it teaches me how important it is that I be satisfied with what I have, God has fed me with his sweet taste of honey, His “Bread of Life” and His Bread has blessed me beyond all I could ever imagine, therefore, it is important that I not become complacent to the things of God, for complacency can lead to that of being lukewarm, and lukewarm can lead to that of “indifference”, as I recall the attitude of God’s chosen people in the days of Moses, after God sent down his sweet taste of honey from heaven, His bread called Manna, that the people allowed complacency to set in and the flesh began to murmur against the bread of God, therefore, the significance it teaches me is that my life be that of praise lifted up to God for sending His “Bread of Life” that nourished my soul and brought life, his Son, my Bridegroom.

When God commissions us to a ministry or a specific task, He wants us to embrace it . . to own it, so to speak. Here Jesus taught His disciples that through faith in Him they could accomplish the impossible. He wanted them to know beyond a shadow of a doubt that He could do anything! But first He needed to show them that this miracle was supremely supernatural.

The loaves and fishes in the story serve to emphasize that with God nothing is impossible. With such a tiny resource Jesus multiplied the food to not only feed everyone but to have some left over!

The disciples would be faced with a job impossible for humans to do on their own.  How would they respond?  Thank God and ask for Him to provide or say it cannot be done  for whatever reason.  

The few fish and loaves in the hands of Almighty God is enough.  He takes the little we do and multiplies it.  He is God who can do all things if we just ask and trust Him.

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

Q1. (John 6:5-9) Why does Jesus try to get the disciples to own the task of feeding the crowds? What is the significance to the story of the boy’s five loaves and two little fish?

I am sure Jesus knew that the disciples had no way of knowing how to feed all these people. He no doubt wanted to see how much faith they had in themselves, in God or even in Jesus himself.

The significance of the boys 5 loaves and two fishes shows us how the Lord would feed these people. It proves that the Lord would provide for the need but also in an abundance. The Lord had fed the Israelites in the desert for 40 years with manna from heaven, here also he had provided more than they could eat in a day.   

1.  Jesus was testing his disciples to strengthen their faith. 

2.  The significance of the story is to let us know there is nothing impossible for God.  When our resources are tiny compared to the need, you know the victory is God's, not man's. 

(John 6:5-9) Why does Jesus try to get the disciples to own the task of feeding the crowds? What is the significance to the story of the boy’s five loaves and two little fish? 

Jesus wanted to get His disciples to own the task of feeding the crowds in order to build up their faith. In today's context, it could be seen as experiential learning or learning by doing. The disciples must be part of the solution. The significance of the story is that God can use who we are or whatever resources we have, no matter how little or insignificant, to accomplish His will. Further, it also shows that we must be committed i.e. take action in faith before God will move. 

I think Jesus is using the miracle as a learning experience for them.  They will need to learn to put their trust in God rather than material resources.  Like many trainers he knows that students learn best by doing rather than passively watching.  The significance of the story is to show how God will provide abundantly in impossible situations if we only have faith.

• 4 weeks later...

I think that Jesus is trying to teach them a lesson in trusting God. So he involves the disciples in the feeding of the people. The significance to the story of the boy’s five loves and two little fish is that no matter how small our contribution is, if we give it to God he can make a lasting contribution.

• 4 weeks later...

Q1. (John 6:5-9)

Jesus want the disciples to be involved, to be immersed in the ministry. He waits for their contribution and commitments.

Nothing is impossible to God. No matter how huge is the task and however tiny resources we have, it is God's victory and not man's. God's providence is abundant.

• 3 weeks later...

If anyone knew where to get food, it would have been Philip because he was from Bethsaida, a town about nine miles away (1:44). Jesus was testing Philip to strengthen his faith. By asking for a human solution (knowing that there was none), Jesus highlighted the powerful and miraculous act that he was about to perform.

When Jesus asked Philip where they could buy a great amount of bread, Philip started assessing the probable cost. Jesus wanted to teach him that financial resources are not the most important ones. We can limit what God does in us by assuming what is and is not possible. Is there some impossible task that you believe God wants you to do? Don’t let your estimate of what can’t be done keep you from taking on the task. God can do the miraculous; trust him to provide the resources.

The disciples are contrasted with the youngster who brought what he had. They certainly had more resources than the boy, but they knew they didn’t have enough, so they didn’t give anything at all. The boy gave what little he had, and it made all the difference. If we offer nothing to God, he will have nothing to use. But he can take what little we have and turn it into something great.

If anyone knew where to get food, it would have been Philip because he was from Bethsaida, a town about nine miles away (1:44). Jesus was testing Philip to strengthen his faith. By asking for a human solution (knowing that there was none), Jesus highlighted the powerful and miraculous act that he was about to perform.

When Jesus asked Philip where they could buy a great amount of bread, Philip started assessing the probable cost. Jesus wanted to teach him that financial resources are not the most important ones. We can limit what God does in us by assuming what is and is not possible. Is there some impossible task that you believe God wants you to do? Don’t let your estimate of what can’t be done keep you from taking on the task. God can do the miraculous; trust him to provide the resources.

The disciples are contrasted with the youngster who brought what he had. They certainly had more resources than the boy, but they knew they didn’t have enough, so they didn’t give anything at all. The boy gave what little he had, and it made all the difference. If we offer nothing to God, he will have nothing to use. But he can take what little we have and turn it into something great.

• 3 months later...

Jesus wants to show his followers how easy it is to look for God for answers and help. God has told us countless times that he will provide for our needs. Jesus has taught that we are the greatest creatures that the Father has made. God makes sure that the birds and animals have food. Why would God not do the same for humans. This story just goes to prove, how faith and prayer can work a miracle in someone's life.

• 1 month later...

Q1. (John 6:5-9) Why does Jesus try to get the disciples to own the task of feeding the crowds?  What is the significance to the story of the boy's five loaves and two little fish?

1. In essence, Jesus was preparing them to disciple others for the work of furthering His ministry and for building up the body of Christ.  Jesus was always teaching, preparing them for the time when He wouldn’t be with them in order to make them committed and effective.  They viewed their task as being impossible, but that was the lesson.  He knew that they would be going out into the world to do the impossible but through Him, they could do things that they believed to be humanly impossible and that they should always look to Him for strength and guidance just as we should be doing today.
  1. With Christ Jesus, all things are possible.

• 5 months later...

Jesus used the hunger and need of the huge crowd to test the faith of the disciples when He insisted they take on the task of finding enough food for everyone. He challenges us even today in similar fashion when He directs us into situations that far exceed our ability. The test is whether or not we 1)will surrender and obey, and 2)will acknowledge that we must depend on His strength, wisdom, and resources to be able to do it. I learned long ago if I will just be willing that Jesus will do amazing things I can't even imagine!  It is a discipleship lesson about the power of faith.

The fact that the only food found among all those people was a boy's lunch of five loaves and two little fish is very significant, especially when we see what actually happened. That tiny amount of food for all those people and the generous faith of a little boy were all Jesus needed. With a hands-on lesson, He demonstrated to the disciples (and to us) that He is bigger than our greatest needs.  He has more than enough to provide for us even when there seems to be essentially nothing to work with. When we're incapable, He is entirely capable.   “Little is much when God is in it”!

• 1 year later...

The Lord used this miracle to speak to me about sharing my faith and witnessing. Often I would not say anything when the opportunity arose as I could not think clearly what to say. Then the Lord reminded me how He only needed a little bit of myself like an opening sentence and He will multiply the words and thoughts.I started trusting Him more, stepping out in faith. It works :-).

• 11 months later...

I think that Jesus is trying to get the disciples to own the task of feeding the crowds because he wants to teach them a lesson about relying on God. The significance to the story of the boy’s five loaves and two fish is that unless we have a little skin in the project we can’t expect for a grand result.

• 7 months later...

I believe the reason that involved the disciples is because the people knew that the disciples were always with Jesus and learning from Jesus. Jesus wanted them to realize that all provisions including food come from Him. I believe the significance in it is that we must be willing to do what God asks in order to give God glory.