JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Believers' Motives

The people were drawn to Jesus because of miracles and having their needs met. Jesus takes time to explain and tries to  direct them in the right path. Many would not have been interested but some no doubt would have gained understanding and eventually followed Jesus for who He is.

I think many of us start off like this, myself included. But the right motives of course are to love Jesus with all our heart because He is the Son of God and to serve Him out of gratitude and love for what He has done for us on the cross. 

• 11 months later...

Some of the “believers” were following Jesus because of the feeding and the miracles that he performed. I think that their selfish motives were to get what you can for free. The motives that true disciples seek Jesus is because they love him and want to be with him.

• 7 months later...

Q1. (John 6:26-27) Why were some of these “believers” following Jesus? What were their selfish motives? For what motives do true disciples seek Jesus?

These believers were following Jesus to be filled with physical food and so they could stop working for that physical food and Jesus tells them working for it isn't what matters; working for the spiritual food is. Where Jesus gives eternal life and you have a seal of approval. Their selfish motives were wanting only their physical needs met not their spiritual ones met. True believers will hear and do the work of God and but also obey God. 

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...

The Galileans were earth  bound. They couldn't comprehend the true meaning of the miraculous feeding of the five thousand.   They wanted more earthly bread and fish and to see more unusual happenings;  they were short sighted  indeed.

Instead of centering on Christ, they were centered on their earthly desires.   They wanted to make  Christ as an earthly king and provider of bread.   They didre recognize that the Messianic manna is the Word of God. Divine teaching and wisdom (Deuteronomy 8:3; Proverbs 9:2-5).

• 7 months later...

Q1. (John 6:26-27)

Why were some of these "believers" following Jesus?

What were their selfish motives?

For what motives do true disciples seek Jesus?

We are told that they were following Him because they ate the loaves and were satisfied.

Their motives were to satisfy themselves. there was no thinking of tomorrow or the next person. I was satisfied so I want more.

True disciples seek Jesus to serve Him and to finally be with Him throughout eternity.