JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Training Disciples

Jesus showed in the gospels how grounded He was in the  scriptures through being trained up in them. He defeated satan in the wilderness and the Jews who opposed Him with quoting passages from the Old Testament. The disciples would have had a solid grounding of scripture from their youth and now followed Jesus by listening and observing everything He said and did being very close to Him. 

The more we do the same and hear and obey the voice of the Spirit through hearing and obeying the voice of Jesus, the more we are filled with the Spirit to know Jesus intimately, being guided by Him every day and living in His will. If we abide in Him we will bear much fruit. I have to admit that often I  get frustrated because I wonder if I really bear much fruit. But I can truly say that nothing gives me more joy and peace than hearing His voice in my life and following it.

• 11 months later...

The rabbis were trained in Jesus’ day by being with a already trained rabbis. Jesus was trained by God his father. The disciples were trained by Jesus. When we hear and obey the voice of the Spirit we know that we are doing the work that God has sent us to do.

• 7 months later...

2. (John 7:15-17) How were rabbis trained in Jesus' day?  How was Jesus trained? How were his disciples trained? What is the value of formal theological training? What is the value of learning to hear and obey the voice of the Spirit?

The rabbis were trained in the Torah and the tradition of their elders. Jesus was taught in the same manner. Jesus taught the disciples. 

I believe that it is invaluable. It is something no one should go without. However, the value of learning to hear and obey the voice of the Spirit is the same as well. 

• 5 months later...

In Jesus's days, students were trained by Rabbi's who studied the Mosaic Law in the Synagogues I think. As a boy growing up, Jesus could always be found listen and learning in the synagogues from the leaders and teachers there. But his learning came from God on all things. God told Him what to do and say. He always would say that he does the will of the father who sent him.  Is there anyone better , who knows the mind of God, than God???  God teaches us His will for our lives.  God told Jesus what he wanted Him to do, how he wanted it done, when to do it and Jesus did just that.  The gospel today is our teacher , our instructor, our Rabbi in what the will of God is.  When we open our hearts and minds to Jesus, God speaks to us through the Holy Spirit, and tells us and helps us to understand his will, how to live according to his will, and what His will is, (maybe not in this order) for us. It is no mystery!  His will is for us to live a life of holiness and righteousness before him and to fear him and be obedient to his word.  To love worship and service Him.  Jesus taught his disciples by example.  he told them to "follow me and I will make you fishers of men"......  Jesus showed them how to honor and walk with God and what God expected of them. They in turn would teach the world what they were taught by Jesus. They didn't need formal training. Just a willing and sincere heart and a love for the master to learn and do his will.

• 2 years later...

They had Rabbinic schools.   The genius of Ezra was very important for education.  Ezra and his faithful scholars were instrumental in starting Jewish education.  Pre-war Europe had a number of Orthodox Jewish centers of learning.   Babylonian Captivity was crucial in formation of the Talmud.   RABBINIC Judaism in the times of Christ was replete with many traditional rules established by scholarly Rabbinical authorities.

Christ was in the Temple growing up but He was definitely taught by His Father.  Joseph and Mary taught Jesus as he was growing up.    They were faithful Jews who went to the local synagogue.   Those silent years of Christ!   The hours of prayer that He spent  with God the Father;  in prayer time Christ was taught directly by His Father.   The Prophet Ezekiel was tutored directly by God but not on the same level of Jesus Christ.  What a profound thought!

I had formal theological training.   I was schooled in ascetical theology as well.  My background was rich in the liberal arts : philosophy, Latin, Greek and history.   At my college, daily chapel services were mandatory.   We had frequent retreat days as well.   Also I developed a personal prayer life by the grace of God.  Formal training is necessary in our day and age.    We have so many young men that have not been taught early about a strict Bible reading schedule and the rudiments of a genuine spiritual life.

When all is said and done,  the spiritual life is nurtured by prayerfully reading the Holy Bible.   We must spend time in quiet prayer meditating on what we have read.   There are no quick fixes.  To be receptive to God's direction, we need to be silent and ask the Holy Spirit to direct us.   Prudence is paramount.   We discuss trying issues or various inspirational thoughts with a more experienced Christian pastor or counselor.

Edited by Jonathan Edwards
I wanted to add today additional thoughts that came to my mind

• 9 months later...

Q2. (John 7:15-17)

How were rabbis trained in Jesus' day?

How was Jesus trained?

How were his disciples trained?

What is the value of formal theological training?

What is the value of learning to hear and obey the voice of the Spirit?

Jewish boys started at the age of 5 or 6 already to learn to read and memorize the Torah and much of the Hebrew Scriptures. After the age of 10 they would begin to learn the Oral Torah, the rabbinical traditions handed down for interpreting the Written Torah.  By age 13 most would have completed their formal study and have started a trade.  The more talented ones would continue studying at the bet mid-rash (house of interpretation) at the synagogue. The most talented ones would become disciples of a rabbi. These went with the rabbi wherever he went.  Study sessions were held any place, could be out of doors, in a vineyard, in the market place, beside a road, in an open field.  Debate was a central part of study. This made them think and take part.  The disciples would take part in the reading and discussions at the local synagogue as well.

In the Jewish home the father would instruct his household about the Jewish Scriptures. It was part and parcel of the normal Jewish family.  The Jewish boys would attend  the synagogue for their early formal training from about 5 yrs of age.  As Jesus was part of a devout Jewish family, this is where His formal training would have taken place. In Lk 2:40 we read the Child grew and became strong in spirit, filled with wisdom, and the grace (the spiritual blessing) of God was upon Him. Then we find when He was 12 yrs old He went with Joseph and Mary to Jerusalem for the Passover Festival, as they were accustomed to do.  We find that Jesus was quite "at home" in the court of the Temple , sitting among the teachers, listening to them and asking them questions. All who heard Him were astonished and overwhelmed with bewildered wonder at His intelligence and understanding and His replies. (Lk 2:47 and 48) Then in v 52 we read that Jesus increased in wisdom  (in broad and full understanding) . . . and in favor with God and man.    After He had been tempted in the wilderness Jesus went back into Galilee, full of and under the Power of the Holy Spirit and conducted a course of teaching in their synagogues being recognized and honored and praised by all. (Lk 4:14 & 15)  From the above we see that it was also training from the Holy Spirit not just the normal training in the schools of the day that formed part of His training. Throughout the Gospels we read that Jesus often went out to the hills alone to spend time with His Father in prayer.  He also mentions that His training is not from man but from God.  Thus we see what was His training ground.

The disciples would have had learnt at the synagogues as He did, and from their fathers in their homes.  It was not strange for them to go to the synagogues. It was part of their upbringing to attend. After being called by Jesus to follow Him, they were trained by seeing what He did and by hearing His Words/teachings. Later they got practical experience when they were sent out into the towns and villages proclaiming the coming of the Kingdom of God. They too were given the ability to heal the sick, drive out demons, etc.

Formal theological training could help the student to 'learn how to teach', could get him into the habit of studying Scripture and hearing from God. The student would learn to think and not just learn parrot fashion. The original languages the Scriptures were written in are learnt and so it is not just accepted what the previous one said (paraphrased) but translation can be done. Discernment of writings of other students can take place.  (Unfortunately much weird stuff comes from hearing agnostics, humanists and whatever else you often get on campus. Be careful not to get derailed).  What dtredo writes is very real.

It is very important to hear the Spirit's Voice and to obey Him. You need discernment and not just follow what every person says.