JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Training Disciples

• 3 weeks later...

Q2. (John 7:15-17) How were rabbis trained in Jesus' day?

Up until 12 years old all children were trained in the Scriptures, thereafter they had to chose a career or they could continue their Scriptures training under a Rabbi. If they chose a Rabbi they would have been taught until they were at least 30 years old. At 30 they could decide to learn from other Rabbis as well or they could start to teach others as a Rabbi. If they became a Rabbi they were often baptized, indicating to the rest of the world that they will follow, believe, and teach what they were taught by their Rabbi. When Jesus demanded to be baptized He was declaring that His teaching will be "repent for the Kingdom of God is near". It is clear from Jesus' teaching that He taught to bring people into the Kingdom of God.

How was Jesus trained? By obedience to His Father and through guidance from the Holy Spirit.

How were his disciples trained? He trained them through Words and by living an example.

What is the value of formal theological training? Much deeper insight in the Word, a wider knowledge of the Word and a good guideline of how to study the Bible. That said, i myself have no formal training, and each time i enrolled my studies were cut short by totally unforeseened events, thus I concluded God wants me to study in an informal way.

What is the value of learning to hear and obey the voice of the Spirit? Indescribable. Value beyond comprehension. Without it all our studies will be empty knowledge.

Q2. (John 7:15-17) How were rabbis trained in Jesus' day? How was Jesus trained? How were his disciples trained? What is the value of formal theological training? What is the value of learning to hear and obey the voice of the Spirit?

it seems foolish to think one an learn on his or her own to follow God in "full" trust. Leading a "poor" life in worldly sense is something to do for staying in touch, but not to do for those that see you, friends of others.

Rabbis were trained by other wise rabbis, so I makes sense that Jesus is so wise and deep because He learned from some earthly studies, but more from His Father by having the deep connection that He maintained every day, probably every moment; His presence was so magnificent.

Is seems that prayer and fasting is a help to hear the Spirit, still distractions can come due to one's life habits. How to surrender deeper? Seek Him more, and more. Breath and Pray, and read out loud His word.  There is the book "Never run after your giant with our mouth shut," from Mark Hankins ministries. Speak word so faith to yourself, out lout. This can only be words from the bible. This is the only way to be sure you speak the truth to yourself. His book says, speak the truth to yourself, hear it and let it command you forward to a stronger faith which you will need, which i will need to work in the Kingdom for his glory.

Q2. (John 7:15-17) How were rabbis trained in Jesus’ day?

They were trained by an older more knowledgeable rabbi...by rote and memorization.

How was Jesus trained?

Jesus was trained by His Father, God.

How were his disciples trained?

They were trained by Jesus.

What is the value of formal theological training?

Theological training prepares one through learning how to interpret Scripture, to ask questions, to learn Bible history, how to communicate God's Word.

What is the value of learning to hear and obey the voice of the Spirit?

The Holy Spirit is the Verb if Bible school is a noun. He brings the Bible to life...a living Word...and leads us into all truth, leads us where to go, how to proceed and when...what to say to one individual which may be different to another. He is the BREATH of the Bible...conforming us to the image of Christ, day by day, moment by moment.

Q2. (John 7:15-17) How were rabbis trained in Jesus’ day? How was Jesus trained? How were his disciples trained? What is the value of formal theological training? What is the value of learning to hear and obey the voice of the Spirit?

According to the notes, "Jesus would have studied Hebrew and the Scriptures as a boy in the school in his local synagogue". He would also have had input from his parents and extended family. Jesus most probably would have also learned a lot from discussing and debating with the Jewish authorities in the synagogues (Luke 2:46-47). Jesus may even have received formal training a rabi/rabis however there is no record of this in the scriptures.

The value of formal training is that the recipient is trained by a professional teacher, someone who has spent time studying and learning from the scriptures and in the light of this the experience of life.

(John 7:15-17) How were rabbis trained in Jesus’ day? How was Jesus trained? How were his disciples trained? What is the value of formal theological training? What is the value of learning to hear and obey the voice of the Spirit? 

Rabbis were trained by being taught and mentored by a famous rabbi.

Jesus was trained by God. 

Jesus trained His disciples in reading and understanding the Scriptures and in practical ministry.

I think that, just like in the secular world, there is a place for formal training, which provides the foundation on which a person can then go and gain practical experience. In being Christians, the practical experience is performing services in our chosen ministry and also listening and obeying the Holy Spirit. 

It is absolutely critical to be able to hear and discern the voice of the Holy Spirit and to obey. It is through the Holy Spirit that God's directs and guides us and protects us.

Q2. (John 7:15-17) How were rabbis trained in Jesus’ day? How was Jesus trained? How were his disciples trained? What is the value of formal theological training? What is the value of learning to hear and obey the voice of the Spirit?

The rabbis in Jesus day were trained by a famous rabbi.

Jesus was God and basically,y came to the earth already trained.  He was and is and will forever be God, all-knowing.

His disciples were trained by Himself (Jesus).

A good seminary school is invaluable to train a disciple in the Word to walk himself in the Way or to mentor and pastor his flock.

We need the Holy Spirit!  Without the Holy Spirit we are left to our own devices and those will ever surely lead us astray so we need to learn to hear His voice and to walk in His way.

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

(John 7:15-17) How were rabbis trained in Jesus’ day? How was Jesus trained? How were his disciples trained? What is the value of formal theological training? What is the value of learning to hear and obey the voice of the Spirit?

• In Jesus' day rabbis were trained by famous Rabbi's. 
  • Jesus teaching came from God.
  • Jesus disciples were trained by him.
  • The value of formal theological training is to train one to interpret the Bible accurately, to teach one to ask questions that help one probe further, to gain a more comprehensive understanding about what the Bible teaches concerning God, and to help one to communicate God's Word.
  • The value of learning to hear and obey the voice of the Spirit is because it helps to direct our path. 

They were instructed in the Scriptures by older more experienced rabbis. As time went by the accumulated wisdom was disseminated among the rabbinical community. Every now and then an outstanding rabbi would come along who very possibly gained an insight from God via a direct impression on his heart by the Holy Spirit and he could impart new and deeper understanding of their Scriptures. Gamaliel was just such a man. When the more hot-headed Jewish authorities were screaming for the execution of the Apostles, Gamaliel was the voice of reason who convinced them to leave them be and see if their movement flourished or died out. Very wise man.

How was Jesus trained?

Apart from being the Son of God, Jesus also spent many hours every week in solitary prayer, communicating with His Father and thus gained even more wisdom as he matured physically and mentally. Jesus' training, as such, was in fact his complete surrendering to the will of God and His total obedience to the Father's plans for Him while on earth. There was no human agent at work there. Remember when He was only 12. He astounded the teachers of the Law in Jerusalem in His discussions with them. Such was His wisdom even back then.

Jesus taught His disciples completely on the job. Scripture doesn't go into much details regarding the private conversations He had with them but we do have many of Jesus' parables that He used to teach the general population. The Bible tells us that Jesus spoke plainly to His disciples when explaining the things of God to them. Jesus actually said to them that the secrets of the Kingdom of God have been shown to them but not to the rest of the people. That was why He used parables in His general teachings. After His resurrection He opened their minds even further to let them understand everything in the Scriptures fully. Only after He'd done that did He ascend back to Heaven.

Just like in Jesus' time on earth, there has been a tremendous amount of wisdom accumulated regarding the Bible. It makes excellent sense to go to a school where that wisdom is taught. It's much easier than trying to mull everything through on your own!

While formal learning is certainly valuable, so is learning to hear the voice of God. Sometimes in a situation where I'm uncertain how to procede, a verse of the Bible might come to me . . out of the blue. I get emailed to me every day a one page Bible study called "The Word For Today". Most weeks there'll be something I can apply to my life and present situation on perhaps four or five out of the seven days! When I consider that it was written weeks ahead and sent out to hundreds of people each day, that is all the proof I need that God is mightily using Bob and Debbie to write that daily study. It's exceedingly rare for anyone to actually hear God's voice in their head. But it's very common to have the Bible passages jump out at you as you read it. It's not called the Word of God because he doesn't use it to talk to us!

How where rabbis trained in Jesus' day?

Rabbis were to  taught by rabbis that preceded them with accumulated scriptural knowledge

How was Jesus trained?

As noted in the lesson notes: by the leaders in the Synagogue

How were his disciples trained? They essentially followed Jesus where he lived and taught.  They learned by observation and direct teaching - explanations of the parables, for example.

Much, I'm sure for all the reasons noted above by other students of this course.

But it is not enough. Spiritual formation as noted in the lesson notes are is essential and vital. It has to do with walking in the Spirit. It has to do with believing and abiding with Jesus Christ. It has to do with sanctification.

After the basic elementary education every boy would receive, some particularly bright students were given invitations for “higher education” by rabbis who saw potential in them.  These young men would leave home to follow after their rabbi, to live and observe and study with this esteemed man.  The goal was to know all their rabbi knew about Jehovah, about the Scriptures, and about how to live a practical and spiritual life pleasing to God – to become like their rabbi.  After several years, around age 30, each man could be considered qualified to be a rabbi who could then take on students of his own.

Jesus never formally studied with a rabbi.  I’ve long thought he must have stayed home to run the family business and care for his mother and siblings because Joseph had passed by the time Jesus would have been an eligible student.  Again, God’s timing was perfect.  This situation prevented any possibility that Jesus would be associated with any particular man’s understanding or philosophies.  His learning and discernment came from being taught by His own Heavenly Father (8:28; 14:10).

Jesus was a highly qualified rabbi who issued invitations to “Come!” to men He observed and desired as students.  They left home to live, travel, and study with Him, just as any other student would do.  I’m certain they had many theological discussions, but their primary education was in observing and assimilating how to live the spiritual life that pleases God.  Of course, their education with Jesus was unexpectedly radical, as it challenged everything they thought they knew as God's chosen people.

Formal theological training is certainly of great value and today is seen as a must for most anyone who desires a vocation that involves teaching the Word.  Those who aren’t led in that direction can still become skilled students of the Word.  But all the knowledge and certification in the world aren’t the most important element.  What God desires and uses most in us is our submission to listen, hear, and obey the voice of the Spirit.  I can personally attest that He can do some amazing things through “unqualified” laymen who are simply willing to follow where He leads.  And the Spirit is the only One who can give us the spiritual discernment we need to apply wisdom to our knowledge so we can rightly walk in the Spirit and grow in the character of our Rabbi, Jesus.

Q2. (John 7:15-17) How were rabbis trained in Jesus' day?

A Jewish child attended school and were most likely taught by their local rabbi, the students were taught the Torah, God’s laws, which means “TEACHING” by a method of memorization, by the age of 12-13 the study had become more intense and for those who excelled they would continue in their learning, but for the truly gifted disciples, they would leave home and follow their Rabbi.

Q3. How was Jesus trained?

Jesus an orthodox Jew studied his Father’s laws, the Torah, as other Jewish children did and learned from the rabbis, as Jesus studied, he also grew in knowledge and wisdom, for the Spirit of God was upon him.

Every year Jesus parents went to Jerusalem for the Festival of the Passover, one year the boy Jesus did not go home with his parents, but instead stayed behind, when his parents went looking for him they found him in the temple courts sitting among the teachers, asking them questions, it was his questions and his answers that amazed those of higher learning, Jesus was about his Father’s business, preparing himself for when he reached manhood and he would bring to the people the “TRUTH” of God’s word, preparation for when he would teach daily in the temple not the doctrine of man, but that of God, as was written in the Scriptures.

Rabbi's were trained in Jesus day's by studying the scriptures under the tutorship of an older and notable rabbis.

Jesus had no training in scripture nor was he tutored by other rabbis, but rather was taught directly by His Father in Heaven.

Jesus disciples were trained by Jesus himself, they received no schooling or tutoring under rabbis. Later after Christ ascended into heaven they were filled with the Holy Spirit.

The value of formal theological training today is to help us understand the scripture, learn how to dig deeper into the meaning and learn how to convey this teaching to others.

Learning scripture formally is a good help in the study into the word of God, but we should let the Holy Spirit fill us so we can convey God's message is most important of all. Learning to hear his voice and let him direct us into the direction of his will is the most important factor of all.  

Q2. (John 7:15-17) How were rabbis trained in Jesus' day? How was Jesus trained? How were his disciples trained? They listened to the most experienced teachers who had already studied the scriptures and were taught the same way, for many generations.

What is the value of formal theological training? What is the value of learning to hear and obey the voice of the Spirit?

To "speak" about what God is saying in the bible requires the same kind of training as in the old days. And the values and truths are the same.

To do what God's says to do in the moment is different. Doing the right thing for someone to someone is part of it. But it may require to step out of old-character, hence not using what we think we were taught to do. It is hard to say without personal examples. If we are at peace, with the Lord and in the Spirit, then it will not matter if it is and old way or not, it will be God's way, God's will. It there is discomfort, pray and perhaps ask some experienced christian friend who knows you well.

1. Rabbis was taught or trained by others rabbis. I think older  and wiser people would have a hand in this training. Wiser and older believing can be an asset to new believer.

2. Jesus was taught by our Lord His Father. Jesus came to teach and to show all of us the way to eternal life.  John 7:16-17 tells how He taught.

3. The disciples was taught by Jesus through the Lord. Jesus teaching was of His Father. He was the example the disciples wanted to learn from. Like all of us we have to believe  in what He is teaching and believe in the words He spoke in the Bible.

4.Theological training is taking the scriptures and get deeper in the word of God. Being able to explain the word. To me anyone can do this without theological training by studying and asking the Holy Spirit to help you understand.It also help us to pass on and explain the Bible to others.

5.The Holy Spirit is what helps us to learn what God is saying to us through His words. When I study I ask God for knowledge and wisdom and sometimes it comes so fast its amazing. When Jesus ascended He sent back the Holy Spirit so He could be with us at anytime and to help us to learn His word and to be obedient to Him and His word and to live daily unto His likeness.

Q2. (John 7:15-17) 

How were rabbis trained in Jesus' day? 

How was Jesus trained? 

They were apprenticed to a Jewish teacher and received formal training from official rabbinic schools. Jesus had never been to any of the religious schools of that day, yet everyone was amazed at His knowledge. It was the breadth of His understanding and His ability to teach that was so impressive. I only have to read the Sermon on the Mount (Matthew 5-7), and especially the Beatitudes (Matthew 5:1-12) to know that these are the Words of God.  Jesus’ teachings came directly from our Heavenly Father, and whatever the Lord Jesus spoke and whatever He taught came directly from God. He did not act independently of the Father. The disciples of course received their training directly from the Lord. I believe formal training is very important. I regret never having the opportunity to have studied Scripture at a Bible College or university. Albert Einstein said something like this: “that education is not the learning of facts but the training of the mind to think”. I agree, it is so important to train the mind to think, and not just memorize a lot of facts. We do this, for example, by meditating on the Word. The Holy Spirit will prompt us, and He also gives believers the power of discernment, enabling us to separate truth from error. 

Young rabbis at that time were trained by famous rabbis.  Jesus received his teaching direct from God.  His disciples were trained by Jesus through example and explanation.  The value of formal theological training is to cover the Bible in depth and all other possible aspects of religious study.  As a lay person I find it very helpful to read theological books.  They have broadened my faith.

Learning to hear and obey the voice of the Spirit is separate and does not require formal study.  It is extremely important.  The way to do this is to develop a personal prayer life in which one achieves closeness with God and an openness to the Holy Spirit.

Q2. (John 7:15-17) How were rabbis trained in Jesus' day? How was Jesus trained? How were his disciples trained? What is the value of formal theological training? What is the value of learning to hear and obey the voice of the Spirit?

Learning to hear and trust God is something that requires time and communication which we must initiate   Prayer, as a regular habit of love and respect to someone we want to know better.  We an get the same training that Jesus got, if we ask for it and expect to get it. God loves us. He wants to hear me humbly say "Holy Spirit, teach me."  Saying it as a simple gentle prayer. Holy Spirit please teah em, give me wisdom and patience so I can better serve you.

This is more valuable than gold or silver, it is the reward of growing faith, and leads God to enrich us for His Glory and His Kingdom. There is no greater thing we could ask for.

A2. Rabbis were trained by studying as disciples under famous Rabbis

Jesus was taught Hebrews and scripture in Jewish Synagogue. But God was his “Rabbi” who taught him

Forma theological education teaches how to read, understand and interpret the Bible.

In addition to learning the Bible, we need to hear God speak to us through the pages of the Bible through the interpretation of the Holy Spirit and also to obey what He tells us.

1:  Rabbis were trained in the synagogue under an elder or another rabbi.   Jesus declared that His teachings are from God.  Formal Theo training gives the disciple the advanced training in understanding all the concepts of the bible but most of all they teach you how to listen to Gods voice from the Holy Spirit.  the Holy Spirit is the counselor, guiding and directing us.

• 3 weeks later...

Q2. (John 7:15-17)

How were rabbis trained in Jesus’ day?

As a boy they have to study Hebrew and the Scriptures in the school in their local synagogue and discipleship to a famous rabbi as advanced or seminary training to be considered authority. Until now the Orthodox Jews are still doing it everywhere in the world.

How was Jesus trained?

Jesus was trained by the Spirit, his mentor is God. John 7:16-17

Jesus shared his mentor's (the Father's) teaching to his disciples. He instructed them in the Scriptures and trained them in practical ministry.

Discipleships under godly professors, teachers, and pastors, interpret the Bible accurately, deeper wisdom of knowledge and understanding  of God's words, and to communicate with God's words.

The Spirit is our Comporter, Teacher, Helper, Chastener, and the voice that guides us always.

• 1 month later...

(John 7:15-17)

How were rabbis trained in Jesus' day? How was Jesus trained? How were his disciples trained? What is the value of formal theological training? What is the value of learning to hear and obey the voice of the Spirit?

They were mentored by God. Heb studied the word under Gods guidance. Jesus' teaching often surprised His hearers (cf. Mark 1:21-22; Luke 4:22) because of (1) the content and the form. Other rabbis quoted one another; Jesus claimed to quote God!

Jesus again drew attention not only to His submission to the Father, but also to His unique knowledge of the Father. They had earthly teachers; He had the heavenly Teacher.

The value of theological training is that you learn the word of God in depth and being guided mentored properly. When you hear the word of God you apply it, do it, use daily in your life and a boy submitting to the will of God.

• 2 months later...

In the time of Jesus, young men would learn how to be a rabbi by training under another one. The information was passed down from one to another. Jesus, however, came from the Father and knew all that the Father wanted him to know. And Jesus passed this knowledge off to his disciples.

When we go to formal training, we are guided to learn to ask questions and to discern what the bible says in answers. We are also taught to hear and to obey the voice of the spirit within us. We have someone who can teach us to look for the answers to those questions of life that burn in our souls.

• 2 months later...

Q2. (John 7:15-17) How were rabbis trained in Jesus' day?  How was Jesus trained? How were his disciples trained? What is the value of formal theological training? What is the value of learning to hear and obey the voice of the Spirit?

1. Young rabbis were trained by becoming a disciple of a well-known rabbi or teacher of Mosaic Law.
  2. Jesus’ “training” wasn’t derived from the accumulated wisdom of a rabbi, He spoke directly for God!
  3. If doctrinally appropriate, formal theological training provides accurate interpretations of the Bible.  Formal training stimulates thought, personal interaction with other Biblical scholars and teaches us to ask questions which should fuel a broader perspective of the Bible’s teachings.
  4. Hands down, THE most important thing we can do for ourselves is to learn to listen for and faithfully follow the guidance that the Holy Spirit provides. Jesus said in John 14:26, “…the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.  The Holy Spirit conveys to us the words of God Himself so the value of learning to hear and obey Him is pretty clear… especially when you take Jesus’s own words into consideration, i.e., He will teach us ALL things and will remind us of EVERYTHING that He has said.  If we don’t learn to hear Him, or we ignore Him when He speaks to us, just think of everything that we’re missing in our lives.

• 2 months later...

From age 4 or 5 up to age 12, they were trained to read, memorize, and repeat out-loud the scriptures. This was done mainly in the schools which were part of the synagogues. By age 12, they could continue their religious studies by studying under a Rabbis or choose a career. If they chose to study under a Rabbis, the training would continue on for years. At some point in the future (someone said age 30), they could become a Rabbis and begin teaching and training other students to become Rabbis too.

How was Jesus trained?

As mentioned above, he was trained in the scriptures (often through scripture memorization) from age 5 to age 12.  In Jesus case, by age 12, He was already astounding the religious teachers with his breadth of knowledge into the Scriptures. This early education took place in the elementary schools that was part of the synagogue (called "Beth-Sefer") and higher level schools (called "Beth-Midrash"). It's interesting to note that the Beth-Midrash held even more prominence than the synagogue itself. The Jews put a high value on education! Even though these schools apparently started sometime after 70 AD, it gives you an idea of the rigid training young boys had in Jewish society.

After about age 12, Jesus was probably given a choice to choose either a career or to continue his studies under a Rabbis. It seems he chose to go the path of a career in carpentry, probably following in the footsteps of His adopted father Joseph (rather than to study under a Rabbis like the Apostle Paul did). During the next 18 years of being a carpenter, I believe Jesus was being instructed by the Spirit of God (rather than by a Rabbis) into the deeper things of God and the scriptures. Because Jesus was a student under God's Spirit, His depth of understanding went far beyond even the most learned Rabbis of His day. The Spirit taught Him to cut through all the unnecessary and layered traditions of the Jews that went way beyond what God originally intended. In those 18 years, Jesus must have learned many revelations about Himself, For example, He learned 1) His true identity: He learned He was the Son of God and the eternal Word incarnate (Wow - that was some heady stuff!), 2) That His life fulfilled Scripture: He learned that all prophecy in scripture actually pointed to Him! (Wow - more heady stuff!), and 3) HIs purpose for coming into the world: He learned that his mission here one earth was to (1) preach the kingdom of God to people, (2) pay the price for all our sins by dying on a cross, (3) fulfill God's promises perfectly, and (4) be resurrected back to His rightful place in heaven at the right hand of the Father (really REALLY heady stuff!). By the time Jesus was 30 years old, He already was recognized by a wide range of people as a Rabbis (Master, Teacher) and was addressed in that way. He reached the level of Rabbis not because He studied under another Rabbis (as Paul had done), but because He studied directly under the Spirit of God. This probably went on since He was 5 years old. By the time He was ready to start His formal ministry at 30 years old, He already knew exactly who He was - the Son of God, the Messiah! When He was baptized in the Jordan and the Holy Spirit came down upon Him like a dove, at that moment He essentially became the first Christian! (a true Christian is one who received the Holy Spirit). Obviously, the Prevenient Grace of God had already been on His whole life. These events would set the pattern for all of us believers today who put our faith in Him and receive the gift of the Holy Spirit just as Jesus had. The whole thing is just so amazing it blows me away. Praise God!

They were trained directly by Jesus - the best Rabbis around and the Son of God Himself - the Christ!. They listened to his teachings as He taught the crowds. They listened to His private teachings where he taught them intimately and more 'plainly'. The disciples followed Him around for 3 years and learned by watching him in different situations and interacting with all kinds of people. Finally, the disciples were taught by 'doing' and participating themselves. They got their hands dirty. For example, Jesus would delegate tasks to them (like sending them out in 2 x 2's), or allowing them to participate in some of the miracles For example, Jesus asked them to organize all these people into groups of 50, and to hand out the multiplied bread during the feeding of the 5000, and to pick up the 12 baskets of left overs. They learned by being right in the mix of things with Jesus.

Side Note: even with all this training and teaching, the 12 disciples were still mostly dull and did not understand what He was saying. They seemed to be clueless most of the time. That deep understanding (and power) would come later when the disciples received the Holy Spirit for themselves. (I like this about the disciples - it's a great encouragement to my own clueless nature!)

Formal theological training teaches you how to study the scriptures effectively, how to interpret them rightly, how to ask questions to deepen your understanding of scripture, and how to effectively communicate Gods truths to the world. I also feel the best (and choicest) theological training is when they teach you how to seek God's Spirit for yourself. Theological study is fine, but by itself it can sometimes become mere head-knowledge. Head knowledge alone can bring pride and arrogance (but not always). I saw this in college with some pretty arrogant professors who always wanted to show their students how smart they were. Some (not all) didn't like to be challenged as it seemed to make them feel threatened. Some professors were more interested in showing off their credentials than teaching students. Later when I became a Christian, I learned that "knowledge can puff up" if it's not mixed with the right attitude. Paul repeats this proverb in 1 Cor 8:1 and puts in an interesting addition: "but love builds up". I believe Paul was saying that when a person abides in the Spirit, then his theological training can have GREAT value because it is be mixed with love and serving others (not arrogance and showing off). God wants us to keep learning, but he wants scriptural knowledge to be overlapped with true humility, love, wisdom, and desire to help others. This is what it means to 'walk in the light as He is in the light'. It's what impacts the world in a way that honors God and makes a difference. In this way, theological training starts firing on all cylinders. Maybe a good living example of all this is shown in our course teacher - Dr Ralph F. Wilson!. He has theological training, but also seems to really want to make a difference in peoples lives with his online courses and books.

Invaluable. Learning to walk by the Spirit is what empowers you to apply the Scriptures directly into your life. I understand this wonderful experience to be the 'Rhema' of scripture - a deep applicable revelation just at the right time. For example, the Spirit can show you how to apply a specific scriptural truth at exactly the right moment to deal with a specific situation today.Tomorrow you may have a completely different circumstance arise and the Holy Spirit can use the same Scripture to show you a different application. Or He may lead you to a completely different Scripture all together. Or He may give you insight into someone's else's issue where you are enabled to discern exactly what the problem is - sometimes without even being told about it. The point is - the Holy Spirit takes the scripture (the logos, the Word) from merely head-knowledge to specific and personal application for your life (Rhema). Then God gets all the Glory.

NOTE: some Bible teachers interpret 'Rhema' to be essentially the same as 'Logos'. They may be right, I'm not sure. But I've heard other respectable Bible teachers teach 'Rhema' to be a little different than Logos - a bit more personal and tailored to help you in a specific situation. I like that definition better because I've experienced God doing that at times in my own walk. So to give it a name, I choose Rhema. It's a great subject and I encourage you to study it on your own and make up you own mind.