JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Refining Faith

Q4. (1:6-7) Can you remember any instances in which God used difficult circumstances to refine and purify your faith? What did God accomplish in your life? How, exactly, does genuine, tested faith bring glory to Jesus?

Richardson Springs before Y Wam

I was on staff at a christian conference center with my 14 year old son. We were put in small quarters with one bedroom for almost a year, I kept asking for a two bedroom house. All the accomadations were small for staff. But that was o.k. as long as they were two bedrooms. As people would arrive for volenteer they would always get the two or 3 bed rooms. For a while I would be patience but one day I was angry and I went for a walk and reminded God His word said He would take care of the widow and orphans, ( which was what my son and I were I had lost two husbands. ) Then I started throwing rocks at the devil and told him he had no right to whith hold God's blessing's from me and my son.

I then went back up to the hotel and the housing selectors had been looking for me. I was told I had a choice of one of the house's on the hill with two bedrooms. I started to cry and laugh at the same time. We had a two bedroom by the creek. God had honored my waiting. and also proving His word is true to what He promises. That day my faith soared. I was told by a friend. my faith had been tested to the Glory of God because of my patiently waiting for almost a year with out complaing. Praise God for His love, mercy, and favor.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, and I am so glad he allowed that experience (among others) in my life. I chose to end a relationship I was in because I discovered his infidelity. It was during a blizzard with no family or friends anywhere near to reach out to. At first I felt so alone, but God was there and I was so glad that I had several days all by myself with virtually no contact from the outside world just to pray and totally reconnect with Him. He assured me of his promises and told me to be patient. I put my faith in him and went about my life, trusting that God always knows best. Much to my surprise, just 4 months later I met my awesome husband. We have been married 8 years and have a wonderful family. I praise God for testing me to see if I would make good decisions and trust him, even if it was temporarily painful. I believe one way tested faith brings glory to Jesus is because of the example it sets for others to be strengthened in their faith.

• 2 weeks later...

Severe financial stress for the last 16 years have really tried our faith and endurance. This has matured me and taught me to put my trust in Him. I am at peace about it and wait patiently, while working hard at the opportunities He has provided, for His Provision.

Will we 'Praise and glorify Jesus when He returns'. We can only do this as time after time as we are refined by the trials and tribulations, we put our trust in Him. The example used is in the refining of gold, where, after being heated, the 'dross' is removed from the top. The 'pure' gold remains. We will become more like Jesus as we are refined.

i feel i have been through these sort of trials as most people probably have. the gift is what we take from that.these things have laid the foundations around the cornerstone that is Jesus to build up a building of faith.God accomplished in me the idea that you have to take the good with the bad.if there was no dark how could we appreciate the light.

Q4. (1:6-7) Can you remember any instances in which God used difficult circumstances to refine and purify your faith? What did God accomplish in your life? How, exactly, does genuine, tested faith bring glory to Jesus?

i can remember a number of instances.i guess those kinds of things can put life into focus a little more.let us see what really matters like god and family.

• 2 weeks later...

Q4. (1:6-7) Can you remember any instances in which God used difficult circumstances to refine and purify your faith?

What did God accomplish in your life? How, exactly, does genuine, tested faith bring glory to Jesus?

I do remember instances when God used difficult circumstances to refine and purify my faith. In these times I am drawn into the embraced of His love and the assurance that He is ALWAYS there to protect and see me through brings me to a place of peace and JOY in Him.

Genuine, tested faith brings glory to Jesus as we testify of His goodness and power to sustain us. The trials or tests of our faith are God's way of forming Christ in us and may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed.

• 3 weeks later...

Can you remember any instances in which God used difficult circumstances to refine and purify your faith? What did God accomplish in your life?

The early years of my faith were forged in great emotional pain followed by another decade of what I'll call "inner healing." I was a very broken soul back then but now I know what it is to be free. During those early years I came to know God as incredibly faithful and always near to me. Those seasons of pain along with God's intimate care for me, have caused me to live the rest of my life with a sense of profound gratitude that He would choose me... gratitude that the God of the Universe has made it possible for me to walk through life with an intimate relationship with Him. Each time I take communion, each time I think about the cross of Christ, I am still deeply stirred and often brought to tears. I never cease to be amazed at the power of God's love to change a life. He has... and continues to change me.

How, exactly, does genuine, tested faith bring glory to Jesus?

Genuine, tested faith always points to Jesus, past, present, or future. A person whose faith has been tested has stories to share of Jesus' past faithfulness. A person who is in the midst of testing has genuine hope in the Lord who will sustain and often intervene to change the course of events. And because of the promises of the Bible and a track record of faithfulness on the part of God, a person with tested faith can look at the future with a sense of peace and hopefulness.

I can remember when I was sick and I didn't have any insurance and not much money. God allowed me to work for one week showing people around who had come from different parts of the world to study a new software that would be used by colleges all over the world. Each day the Lord would give me strength to go and do my job, but before that I had gone to the doctor's office several times. I had even talk to a nurse on the phone. I was like the woman with the issue of blood. I was bleeding for six months straight and I was very week, anyway, the nurse on the phone told me it wasn't anything that could be done for me. That was only because I didn't have insurance. Then she said something to me that through me for a loop. She said, "Good luck." I started crying. I went to the clinic a few days later and the doctor I useally saw was on vacation and I had to see the midwife. She even said she couldn't really help me, but she told me to drink plenty of water and eat all day. She said, "Just keep eating and drinking water to keep your strength up." She had this sad look in her eyes. I went home and I prayed to God for help. That is when I got the call to go do the job I mentioned earlier. I prayed for strength. I went through training and I had no money for lunch. When lunch time came they provided pizza and soda. When we got to the actual sight I was blown away. Remember I had no money and I didn't have many female products with me for my protection. My God is real. Let me tell you that the building I was assigned too the ladies bathroom was in full supply of what I needed and I did not have to pay for it. It was beautiful how the bathroom was decorated. I heard His voice in my spirit saying, "Do not take any home. There will be plenty for you tomorrow." After that I was assigned to the most wonderful people they were great to work with. Then it was time for lunch. All I can say is that when God says He will prepare a table before you in the presence of your enemies, He was not playing. Satin wanted to kill me, but for that whole week I had the best of everything. All the food was fresh and the people told us to eat as much as we want. The salad tasted as though it was just picked from the garden and all the spring water and fresh juice I wanted. The last day of the job I had said to the Lord, "I am so full." Eventhough is was lunch I didn't have to eat much at home later. So that left enough food for my kids to enjoy each day I worked. Now to top this story off. I heard the Lord speak to me again. He told me to go back to the clinic and when I got there the doctor that was on vacatioin was there. She was shock to see me and asked me what did I need. I told her it was time. She scheduled surgery and I went in and that was the end of that. I just wanted to say that before the job came about I had repeated those words, "If I could just touch the hem of your garment I will be made whole." To God be the Glory!

God has done so much in my life. His his delivered my husband from drugs. He has a stuggle but I see his faith in God grow stronger and stronger each day.

When the Lord told me not to leave my husband because of his addiction. I felt the Lord Jesus telling me to trust Him. Jesus got the glory because He will do just what He says. I just sit a watch my husband in amazement. My husband looks great. He was going down swinging and the Lord raised him from the living dead. The enemy is still attacking him but I will forever believe in my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. "No weapon formed against my husband shall prosper." because God said it won't. In Jesus name! Amen!

• 1 month later...

God has used so many difficult instances in my life. Two that stand out involve being made homeless with my young daughter and just recently having to move two hundred miles from everything and everyone I knew because of my now grown-up daughter's violent ex-boyfriend.

I didn't want to move, but I praise God every day I did because of the blessings that He has given and the closeness with Him I now share.

In testing my faith, I find that Jesus moves closer, becomes more real. I have more faith and more strength to cope with whatever the devil has to throw at me. Also it means I have more to give to those around me going through similar circumstances.

• 1 month later...

Without a doubt, God has brought me through some things that at the time I didn't know if I could actually do it. But God strengthened me and showed me His love for me and His desire to have a close loving relationship with me.

He taught me to be totally dependent on Him with complete trust and sometimes that is not always easy when you can't see Him. For me the trust has developed over years of seeing God's faithfulness working in my life.

just over two years ago i was told that i had not only C.O.P.D. but Congestive Heart Failure. i don't think i will ever forget that day when the surgeon told me there was nothing they could do for me. not even a heart transplant. i was told i would die on the table if even tried. after my hospitalization i was sent to a rehab to recoup from my illness. i felt angry because my father and three of my brothers all had heart problems yet they could get help in fixing their problems. i have never been so scared in my life. i was afraid that if i went to sleep at night would i even awake the next morning? i still have some days when i think the same thing, but i have come to see that God has used this situation to draw me closer to Him. i always knew He wanted a relationship with me, but i thought that every other day was ok to sit and read my bible and talk to Him. now, i can't seem to get enough of Him. i spend at least 2- 2 1/2 hours each day reading His Word and talking to Him. my desire to be closer and learn more has grown more than i ever thought possible. so has my love for Him. my pastors would come visit me in the hospital back then and i would tell them i thought from now on i was on borrowed time. i am, but while i am still here i am going to read and pray, and learn as much as i can about the one person who has never been unfaithful to me. who has drawn me closer to Himself. i give Him my praise for the things He has healed me from. and He has. i praise Him for all He has done for me throughout the years i have lived even when i was not faithful to Him. i give Him all my praise and glory to Him who is worthy.

So many times God brought me through difficult situations where my faith was tested.

It was never easy or painless, but God used these times of testing to strengthen and shape me. Because of the things I have had to go through, God has been able to use me to minister to other women going through similar trials and to be a testimony to God's mercy and grace.

My tested faith has endured and become stronger over the years, lagging at times, but always there. I look over my life and see what God has brought my through and I can't help but praise Him and give Him all the glory and honor. We have a close and loving relationship and I can definitely see God's hand print on my life. I love my Lord with all that is in me and will be forever thankful and humbled by Him.

So many times God brought me through difficult situations where my faith was tested.

It was never easy or painless, but God used these times of testing to strengthen and shape me. Because of the things I have had to go through, God has been able to use me to minister to other women going through similar trials and to be a testimony to God's mercy and grace.

My tested faith has endured and become stronger over the years, lagging at times, but always there. I look over my life and see what God has brought my through and I can't help but praise Him and give Him all the glory and honor. We have a close and loving relationship and I can definitely see God's hand print on my life. I love my Lord with all that is in me and will be forever thankful and humbled by Him.

• 3 weeks later...

I remember times when GOD placed people in my life that spitefully misused me. The opportunity to get revenge was often presented when the same individuals needed some assistance or favor. My faith was tested when I refused to seek revenge and fogave the individuals and offered what help I could. Those test made it easier to give to those who spitefully misuse, and falsely accuse me. I know this places me closer becoming like CHRIST in these such instances. All glory and praise I give to GOD for these character trials. To become like CHRIST is a testimony to the glory of CHRIST.

• 3 weeks later...

Just recently me and my wife's faith were tested, our lease was about to run out and we had to find a new place and every place we looked kept bringing up my criminal past and they would deny us for my mistakes that I made earlier in my life. Well one day we decided to look in the paper (which we never did) and this place jumped out at us. And we went thru the approval process and we were approved.. Now here comes the great part of the story. We had to come up with all this money for last month's rent, the deposit, first month's rent along with paying all the bills and if it wasn't for the Lord it wouldn't have happened in a million years...

The test of faith just brings us even closer to the Lord because you get to see him work miracles in your life right before your eyes and it's amazing.

It totally brings glory to Jesus because you know after that experience that it wouldn't be possible without him.

• 1 month later...

yes I searched for years for reasons why God didn't take away sins of my past sooner than he did. I begged and yet when I gave up he came right on time. God had to refine me and purfy me to the point where I couldn't come up with any way that I could take credit it. God created in me a strong believer who knows that there is a Saviour guiding my life and today I fully depend on his guidance and control.

• 1 month later...

There are several instances in my life where God has used difficult circumstances to refine and purify my faith. One in particular involves the only child God blessed me to have. This situation taught me a very valuable lesson- Our children, family, and friends do not belong to us, they belong to God. We as human creatures are quick to say " that is "my" son, or "my" father, "my" friend. What we fail to realize is that we do not keep each other, we all belong to the Father. At a time when his life was being threaten and almost taken, I was not able to protect him. He was shot 7 times. One bullet wound in his chest is directly over his heart, per the doctors the bullet passed so close to his heart that it tore the sack in which the heart is contained, but the bullet was deflected to the right side of his chest, destroyed the top portion of his right lung and came out of the upper portion of the right side of his back. The doctors were mystified , the path of the bullet clearly showed it should have entered the heart , but it didnt, it made a sharp turn as if deflected and exited thru the right side of his body. It was not my hand that deflected that bullet. There are still fragments from 5 other bullets in the torso of this now father of 7, one other bullet was removed from his left arm, and the full story of this is his testimony to give , not mine.

My testimony is this, Being a mother, with the only child you've had the joy to birth, nuture and love, laying in a hospitol bed, the doctors having done all they can, telling you that they cant say he'll survive the week. Who can you turn to? What can you do? Who can hold death at bay? Who can touch his body and heal? I'm his mother!! He came from my body!! He is a part of me, but I can't help him now.

I turned to the Great I AM. I learned that night to humbly asked for his life for a little while longer. I turned to the Great I AM. I learned how to acknowledge that he belonged to the Father, he was just loaned to me for a little while. The Father held his life in His hands. No one else.

Faith in who God is, Faith in what He can do, Faith in Jesus, who without His sacrifice and resurrection, I would not have been able to ask for life for the only child God blessed me to have.

He heard the prayers, because I was not the only one praying for his life. Through this situation, Baptist, Muslim, Holiness, and other denominations of faith came together to pray to the One and Only TRUE GOD. Regardless of our different beliefs , we all knew and understood there is only one Great I AM!!

• 3 months later...

There was a time in my life in 1991 when I became ill with cancer.The doctors gave up hope and said I could expect six months in my condition.My daughters were nine and six respectively and I had recently taken over a business which was financially unstable and needed my constant input.These circumstances started me of in a new and perhaps unusual relationship with my Lord.It is difficult to explain but went something like this.

God please let me live long enough to see my girls through junior school and I will be faithful to You.(I must just add at this point I liquidated the business and also sequestrated both myself and my wife due to what I will now call a lack of faith.)When my first daughter reached what we call standard five in South Africa the end of junior school it was,God please just until they finish high school.As you can all see I am still around (Praise my God King of my life)After school it was university then marriage(one is married)and now its the rest of my life.

God has molded me cleansed me through the hottest of fires and only now 18 years on am I starting to rely on my faith that the Lord has strengthened and refined.I give God all the glory praise be to the one and only living God.

Oh yeah, there have been several circumstances that God has used to refine and purify me. I praise God and give Him the glory for every one. What He has accomplished is that He has taken a broken vessel of clay and molded it into a vessel that is willing to be used for His glory and kingdom. Genuine, tested faith will bring God glory because you will know that it was God that has brought you through. You will learn who you are in Christ and who Christ is. You will learn to lean on and trust God totally for everything. God will move in ways only He can. You will know and the world will know that the hand of God is moving. You will know that He is the I AM, the GREAT I AM and God will get the glory.

• 3 months later...

There was an occasion nearly 30 years ago when as a married man with 2 sons God tested me. I was in an hotel room next door to an attractive young girl and my fleshly spirit ached to go to her for the night. But my legs were paralysed and I couldn't move until after about 2 hours of this lustful temptation I fell asleep.

From that time I have known that God has chosen me, has His wings over me and protects me. It has strengthened my resolve as a Christian and committed me to a life to serve Him.

Jesus is glorified by my recounting and telling my stories of His witnessing in my life in many ways. Through this I worship Him.

• 3 weeks later...

Q4. (1:6-7) Can you remember any instances in which God used difficult circumstances to refine and purify your faith? What did God accomplish in your life? How, exactly, does genuine, tested faith bring glory to Jesus

During this economic recession we experienced, I did not receive any salary for a month, and my wife had not received her full salary since Feb 2009. It was and still is difficult times, but we never gave up on God and the more we prayed and relied on God, the closer we came to Him and to each other. We did not blame God and remained lotal and faithful to Him. This total dependence on Him glorifies Him as non-christians can see that christians still have peace and can rely on God during difficult times. Who can they turn to?

• 1 month later...

I can think of a lot of times I've had to go through the refiners fire. I was stricken with a disease caled transverse Myelitis (Spinal disease) in 2002. I was also stricken with Sarsodosis (lung disease) at the same time. Two major chronic diseases. I was in the hospital and rehab for 7 months. With hardly any family to depend on I had to depend on God. My sufferin caused me to truly put my faith in Him and trust Him nd in this situation I learned to trust God more than ever to believe in Him like never before. I rejoiced in my sickness because i know God was doing a major work in my life. I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that God would bring me through and He did and that has caused a major change in my life. God is magnified in my life daily and I never forget how He brought me out. I just can't thank Him enough and now my faith is stronger than it has ever been.

God accmplished obedience, trust and faith and confidence in Him in my life.I was able to face thse situations and still trust God that it was Him that kept me through it all and be able to tell others my testimony of what believing and having faith in God can do. If God takes you to it He will take you through it. Bless His holy name.

• 5 weeks later...

Is my believe God does not give us test or trail or give us sufer NOT that is the devil Job that God knows YES But Why them ! is not why is only because God plan for us . I used to blame God be mad to God because only I understood was my point in this life I even use the Holy Spirit wisdom I use my wisdom my thinking over and this way did not work . Let's take this letter of Peter refuse it by scholars as he realy write this letter Did he? This is not the way to think as a Christian fallower . I can not see with my eyes on this world I have to see with the eyes of the Holy Spirit period (.) Paul did as Peter did and I feel the Holy Spirit was giving a mesage to write because is God will you to die . I m sure Peter rejoyce on this I m sure he was not more afraid because the physical pain . I m sure this time Peter go on the wrong direction try to scape from sufer as he did one time and Jesus stop him . Not that way Peter this way . It happen to me many times : "Jesus I don't want to go that way I know what is there Please!!!" So where was my faith ? Inside of a box. I was one time in jail and I blame God for be in there I was thinking after all I did for him he let me down I was so mad at him he close the Holy Spirit on me . Then Went I feel that I cry like a baby I please him not to take it away from me . I was along in Jail I did not feel Jesus but my faith make me say this : I know you there !! But Please sent back your spirit please forgive me . Also send someone christian to confirm in me . So nothing happen and I forget my cryng thing over me be in jail and I star living a Christian life inside the jail . After cuples of Days someone none Christian came to me and he said : " I was sleep and wake up and I saw you face and a voice to tell you everything be ok " wow Jesus God do not need of sacrifices does not need a scale to see how many points I have on my accaount Jesus see what my hearth have for him and he let me go to trail because he know I can handle this . Even if I can not he give me the power to fufill his plans on me . Remember Job and I was reading this book went all this happen . So I learn I can not see with my eyes I have to be like Peter see with the spirit and everything will be reaveal it to you.

God constantly refines both my character and my faith through difficult circumstances. He has done it most often for me by putting difficult people in my life and challenging me to love them. This forces me to lean on God for my ability to love, since the individuals are sometimes not what the world would consider 'lovable'. It forces me to turn to God for my sense of worth, because the individuals do not necessarily give me much positive reinforcement. It humbles me, because when I am impatient or angry or sin against them, the Spirit shows me that I have to confess it and ask their forgiveness. Then, at times, God gives me insights into how he is at work in their lives and mine, and I am so grateful for the trials and the struggles that keep my need for God at the forefront of my life.

Genuine tested faith brings glory to Jesus. Here it is in a nutshell:

2 Corinthians 4:5-10

5For we do not preach ourselves, but Jesus Christ as Lord, and ourselves as your servants for Jesus' sake. 6For God, who said, "Let light shine out of darkness,"[a]made his light shine in our hearts to give us the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ. 7But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us. 8We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; 9persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed. 10We always carry around in our body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be revealed in our body.

• 2 weeks later...

I remember when I lost 2 out of 3 children earlier this year when I was doing daycare. This was a huge dip in our finances and tremendously hurt us. In addition, at this time my husband decided he would start tithing, which meant even less money. The end result was God provided and proved himself faithful again and I ended up with 4 children. This circumsrance refined and purified my faith for sure. Still have more purifying to go through.

God showed me that I could trust Him, no matter what, and that He is my provider. I now have more faith in Him then when I begin.

I believe tested faith brings glory to God through our testimony, and how we choose to respond to the trials in our life. In addition, through us not giving up and continuing to rely and trust in Him.