JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 2 months later...

Q2. (John 13:14-15) Why do you think Jesus went to such an extent to break all social norms in washing his disciples feet?

Jesus was demonstrating that the kingdom of God is an upside down kingdom. In the kingdom of God the greatest are the least and most humble. The last shall be first. He uses the foolish to confound the wise. The greatest among us are not the most powerful, but the most humble and dependent upon Him for their strength. He deserved to be served, but chose to abase Himself and serve them....more powerful than words!

What value did he establish in his Kingdom by this dramatic act?

It is better to serve than to be served...better to give than to receive. Service is love in action.

How are we to live this out in the Christian community?

Not with actual foot washing, but in loving and serving our brothers and sisters....in whatever way we are able to give of our time and talents. (It may be praying with or for someone, or encouraging another, holding a grieving hand, preparing a meal for the sick, visiting in prison...where ever the Lord leads us.

(John 13:14-15) Why do you think Jesus went to such an extent to break all social norms in washing his disciples feet? What value did he establish in his Kingdom by this dramatic act? How are we to live this out in the Christian community? 

I think the real message is that we must be humble and show humility. The verse in Mark 10:43-45 - "... but whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, and whoever wants to be first

must be slave of all. For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give
his life as a ransom for many." We are not to lord it over non-believers but rather point them to Jesus through love and humility.

(John 13:14-15) Why do you think Jesus went to such an extent to break all social norms in washing his disciples feet? What value did he establish in his Kingdom by this dramatic act? How are we to live this out in the Christian community?          

• Jesus went to the extent to break all social norms in washing his disciples feet to show humbleness to serve.  The value is that to be great we must be willing to serve.  We are to live this out in the Christian community by showing humility and willingness to serve our brothers and sisters. 

Q2. (John 13:14-15)

Q. Why do you think Jesus went to such an extent to break all social norms in washing his disciples feet?

A. To teach His disciples and all of us the ministry of service to one another that requires humility.

Q. What value did he establish in his Kingdom by this dramatic act?

A. He succeeded in demonstrating humilty at its peak that requires leaders to serve and not just be served.

Q. How are we to live this out in the Christian community?

A. Be people who would serve and not wait to be served all the time.

Q3. (Luke 22:25-27)

Q. In the world, Great Men have others serve them and exalt them with great titles. How is the Kingdom of God to be different than that?

A. The Lord Jesus Christ set the model of how the Kingdom of God is to be diffrent by serving His disciples. Leaders are to serve those down the ladder.

Q. How has Roman Catholic Pope Francis I set an example of humility before his flock?

A. He chose to live a life of himilty and simplicity, to serve and to humble himself to the extend of kneeling down and asking for prayers from the congregation. He also refused the luxury enjoyed by his predecessors.

Q2. (John 13:14-15) Why do you think Jesus went to such an extent to break all social norms in washing his disciples feet? What value did he establish in his Kingdom by this dramatic act? How are we to live this out in the Christian community?

Jesus is the epitome (a perfect example) of a servant. He was teaching that no disciple is above another. He exhorted his disciples to be humble and serve one another (13:15-16, Mark 10:42-45). Jesus did not want power games among his disciples, he wanted (and set an example for) them  to be a servants of one another. As soon as we think that we are more important than anybody else we have lost the purpose for which God put us in this world (1Peter 5:5-6)..."God is opposed to the proud"...

Why do you think Jesus went to such an extent to break all social norms in washing His disciples’ feet? 

What value did He establish in His Kingdom by this dramatic act? 

By His example, Jesus showed us that in His Kingdom the highest rank is that of servant. We are to serve others. If the Lord and Teacher had washed the disciples' feet, what excuse could we have for not washing one another's feet? This virtue of humility is to be expressed through our sincere service to others in Jesus’ name. We are to live this out not only in our churches and in fellowships with believers, but in the community as a whole. We are to be Jesus’ shining light in this dark world. As Jesus says later in this chapter (vv. 34-35): “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." 

Chapter  23  q2

Jesus did go to great lenths to make his point that just as He humbled himself, here, symbolicly and actually and as he would do to the ultimate degree on the cross, He is teaching that true servant love - agape - intails service and sacrifice. The new value is that if we wish to be great in the kingdom of God we have to be willing to serve. We are incouraged to think of others as better than ourselves - to be servants of all. The leaders, pastors, elders and anyone who would be considered to be in a high position are enjoined to go low. We have to be sure that we are acting and doing whatever because we want to help and lift people up and not ourselves. This is so unnatural for humans that we can only do it with God's help and with much prayer.

Q2. (John 13:14-15) Why do you think Jesus went to such an extent to break all social norms in washing his disciple’s feet?

Jesus had no problem with breaking through social norms in order to get the truth, as Rabbi, he knew how important his teachings would be for his disciples, I believe the English word “disciple” falls short in conveying the relationship between a rabbi and his disciple, in Jesus time a disciple would wholeheartedly give themselves over to their teacher, trusting he would lead them in knowledge, wisdom, and ethical behavior.

Our Lord was teaching by “EXAMPLE” an important lesson on “ethical behavior”; He who has every right to be served, is serving, as he washes his disciples feet, it is a exciting lesson for me, even though “I” a disciple am not above my Lord, “I” can become like him, as I put to practice his teachings and follow his example.

Q3. What value did he establish in his Kingdom by this dramatic act?

Servanthood is what comes to my mind, to be a “servant” stems out of “love”, it cannot be forced, and when put to practice the person will be blessed with that of “humility” - a beautiful fruit of the Spirit.

Jesus’ whole ministry was an example of God descending to our level in order to raise us up, through his loving care for us.  His washing of the feet was the embodiment of that lesson and was intended to create a lasting impression.  He established a value of service of the powerful for the vulnerable.  When we do charitable acts with real love, we are living this value out, particularly when we do things are nobody wants to do and which are stigmatised in some way.

Q2. (John 13:14-15) Why do you think Jesus went to such an extent to break all social norms in washing his disciples feet? What value did he establish in his Kingdom by this dramatic act? How are we to live this out in the Christian community?

Jesus went to great extent to break all the social rules, because those who were teachers or experts of the law were looked upon as being great among the people. These great ones liked to be served by others and not to dispose themselves to help or serve others, it just was not to be done. Jesus taught that he who was great among them should be a servant to others, for he said "I have come to serve not to be served".

Jesus established that in the Kingdom the Son was not greater than the one who sent him. Jesus came to save us not to be greater than his Father who sent him, to teach the truth of God.

We are to live this out in the Christian community by being disciples of Christ and serving our brothers and sisters and our fellow citizens in our community. We must remember, we are servants of Jesus and not greater than he is, even though he works through us.  

Jesus was trying to show that being humble and putting others first is the way to be. He become a servant to show that the servant is not greater than his lord neither he that is sent is greater than the one that sent him

Jesus showed that we have to love one another as Jesus came to love us and bring salvation to all

We live this to serve others and to love others as Jesus did for us. We are to bring salvation to others and to live our lives as best as Jesus lived his. Thank you Jesus for bring salvation to me.

​First the social norms of this world are not the social norms of Jesus Kingdom.  There many who are last here will be first there.  He is teaching them that it does not debase them to 'wash feet' or serve but elevates them in His Kingdom.

He established the act of serving others and putting others ahead of ourselves, to consider others more important.  I live in a place where there are little bastions of power. One day a neighbor invited me for a walk just to show me a couple houses down someone who has a lot of power in the town and obviously I was to be made aware of that.  I thick I said Oh that is nice and we turned around and went home. I am as of one of little importance here in their eyes.  However we look to God, it matters what He says.  And I have no urge to get into the I'm more important than you.  In the end God offered His gift of salvation to all as a free gift, which leveled the playing field.  Besides I have been given the job of caregiver for several years now.  Lord may I do it in a ways that brings honor to you.

I have found in the churches when inside they are really prideful about their position of responsiibilty they go around with their head down with the biggest show (and what a show it is) of humility.  It seems to show some immaturity

We are to live our lives quietly ready to serve in what ever capacity we are able, grateful we are given the privilege of serving Christ as He serves us.

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

May we be honest with one another and with the Lord  May we remember where we came from (the mire pit) and who our Lord is in our everyday prayer and dealings with our fellow man.  May we live to serve you.

• 2 weeks later...

Everything about the Kingdom of God is totally opposite to things of the world.  When Jesus washed his disciples’ feet, He didn’t do something scandalous just for the sake of being outrageous.  He did something shocking and extreme to demonstrate the point that God’s estimation of greatness in His Kingdom is completely and radically different from what humanity holds in high regard.  Social norms, customs, and traditions are not what God values in His Kingdom.

Jesus was not establishing a special ceremony of foot washing.  He was using the practical circumstances of the moment to teach a spiritual lesson.  What the disciples needed to grasp is that greatness in the Kingdom of God is measured by the humility of a servant’s heart.  Jesus demonstrated that the one who humbly sacrifices self to serve is the one called “great” by the Father and will be honored in heaven. 

It takes humility to submit to whatever act of service the Spirit leads you to do, especially when that requires sacrifice of self-importance.  But it also often requires humility to be on the receiving end of that act of service. So, as a Body together in Christ, we all need to esteem this spiritual lesson of love.  We are greatest in God’s Kingdom when we are willing to become least.  We are seen as first when we’re willing to put ourselves last.  We are doing the work of the Kingdom when we humble ourselves to serve others.

Why do you think Jesus went to such an extent to break all social norms in washing his disciples feet?

it is the manifest design of humility; to teach them by his example that they ought to condescend to the most humble offices for the benefit of others. They ought not to be proud, and vain, but to regard themselves as the servants of each other in every way. And especially as they were to be founders of the church, and to be greatly honoured, he took this occasion of warning them against the dangers of ambitions, and of teaching them, by an example that they could not forget, the duty of humility.

A great lesson, to be a servant is a great master and the duty is humility to the benefit of others.

By humbleness, lowliness, and meekness by the mercy and grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we can live this out in the Christian community.

" A life of self-sacrificing unselfishness is the most divinely beautiful life that man can lead". - B.B. Warfield

• 4 weeks later...

Jesus did not wash his disciples’ feet just to get them to be nice to each other. His far greater goal was to extend his mission on earth after he was gone. These men were to move into the world serving God, serving each other, and serving all people to whom they took the message of salvation.

When we live in this Christian community we need to be humble, love one another, serve each other, pray for each other and learn the word of God.

• 3 weeks later...

For us to be ready to server at any moment truly means any moment. This is not so easy, to love and serve the ugly, in appearance, personality, or general nature. Still, we are told to love as He did. raising the bar very high indeed. Those who are in the ministry ordained seem to have the hearts to do this 24/7. But where is this taking me, and do I really want to have a choice about this? Starting in my own house/family/wife/kids, with real friends, and fellow saints of my church.

• 3 months later...

Why did Jesus go to such an extent in washing his disciple’s feet?  He did this because it was considered such a humble task.  Foot washing was generally carried out by a slave or personal servant so when Jesus washed the disciples’ feet, He was telling them, “I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you. (John 13:15).   Just as Jesus’ disciples emulated Him by serving one another in humility, we should be constantly living this out in the Christian community by ardently striving to build one another up in humility and Christian love. 

What value did he establish?  The fundamental value to be gleaned from Jesus’ washing of the disciples’ feet is that it serves as a reminder for Christians everywhere that we are not above humble service any more than He was.  The valuable lesson that we should all take from this is that we too must serve one another in exactly the same way that we are humbly served by Jesus Christ.  Jesus’ words and deeds serve as a constant reminder that we are saved, not because of anything we might have done to make ourselves worthy, rather we are saved because Jesus himself has cleansed us through his word (cf. John 15:3).  The value in all of this is the knowledge that Jesus knows us and He has accepted us into the brotherhood of His glorious love.

• 3 years later...
  • 7 months later...

To show the disciples how to love and serve one another. The person who wants to be first has to be willing to be a servant. By encouragement, love in form of service, prayer, giving advice, coming alongside of the part, correcting in love, 

• 2 years later...

What an example of agape !   Christ showed how much love he had for his disciples.  What amazing love!  Even Judas had his feet washed.   Though Christ knew what was in his heart and knew the that he would be the Paschal Lamb; he washed their feet. Christ wanted to stress so much that the call to discipleship is one of humble service.   Christ's action can be beautifully summed up by  Philipians 2:1-7; he wasn't an earthly king but a king as prophesied by Zechariah.   Truly Christ is the suffering servant of Israel.

Humility is the virtue that I see here.  One sign of a mature Christain is humility-a sense of lowiness and gentleness.  Very tragic when people call attention to themselves.  Christ is beckoning his disciples to do self-denying acts to those in need.  My parents were prime examples.  I grew up making trips to the nursing home and trios to North Carolina to see elderly relatives with my parents leading the way.  And the concern they showed to my sister when she suffered during her dark periods.  I have asked God to forgive me if I have been neglectful as a servant.

• 9 months later...

Why do you think Jesus went to such an extent to break all social norms in washing his disciples feet?

Usually something very out of the ordinary is much easier remembered than a natural event. By performing this extremely menial task, Christ showed by example that humbleness proves to be much greater than pride.  There is nothing wrong to be a servant, if that be my lot be the best one at my task.  

The washing of the feet is also a stunning example of pointing out the need of a regular cleansing necessary from the contamination of sin. Before sin gets a hold on me confess it and repent, turn away from it (be washed from its influence).

Lord make me like You,

Lord, I am willing, do what You must do.

Make me a servant

Make me like You