JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q5. Thomas's Confession

• 2 months later...

(John 20:24-29) Why do you think Thomas is so stubborn about believing that Jesus was raised from the dead? How do you think he felt when Jesus appeared before him? What was Thomas’s confession in verse 28? What is Jesus’ blessing offered to future believers? 

Thomas' philosophy seems be "seeing is believing". Perhaps, it could have also been a bit of anger (with himself for not being present when Jesus appeared) or maybe even jealousy - "... But he said to them, 'Unless I see the nail marks in his hands and put my finger where the nails were, and put my hand into his side, I will not believe it." (John 20:25) 

When Jesus appeared to him, Thomas didn't even have to touch Jesus or examine His wounds. Thomas immediately exclaimed "My Lord and my God". Thomas must have been relieved and perhaps even a bit ashamed that he had doubted the rest of the disciples. Nevertheless, his exclamation pointed to his restored faith.

Jesus' blessing was "... blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed." (John 20:29) I believe this blessing is also applicable to us in our age. 

Q5. (John 20:24-29) Why do you think Thomas is so stubborn about believing that Jesus was raised from the dead?

Thomas was absent when the others peered into the empty tomb, and was absent when Jesus appeared to the disciples in the upper room. I think for him, it was just too good to be true, and was simply wishful thinking or hearsay. (It reminds me of Sarah, who did not hear the promise spoken to Abraham, so to her it was just Abraham speaking what he hoped was true. When I realized that, I stopped being frustrated with my husband who didn't hear the promises spoken to me and just couldn't believe I'd heard from the Lord.)

How do you think he felt when Jesus appeared before him?

He may have felt silly or embarrassed, but I doubt it. I think He simply rejoiced with seeing with His own eyes His risen Lord. There is nothing wrong with wanting validation. A Bible study leader gave me excellent advice when I was a baby Christian.....she said when you have doubts, take them to Jesus and ask Him to sort things out for you, instead of harboring them and letting them cause you to stumble. I found that He is quick to want to shed His light on our doubts...and those which I brought to Him are areas of strong faith now.

What was Thomas’s confession in verse 28? What is Jesus’ blessing offered to future believers?

Thomas exclaimed "My Lord and My God!"   Jesus' blessing was "Blessed are those who have not seen  and yet believe." And though we don't see Him with our own eyes, His Holy Spirit testifies with our spirit that we are His children. We learn to know His voice, and to appreciate His presence though invisible to our eyes.

Q5. (John 20:24-29) Why do you think Thomas is so stubborn about believing that Jesus was raised from the dead? 

Peter's disbelief I think, is the type of stubborn attitude of man to stick to an opinion despite overwhelming facts that the opinion is wrong. I have seen that among members of my family and feel so sad. It is also found in the Church today.

I think he felt ashamed of his unbelief given the fact that he was one of the twelve whom Jesus had predicted His death and resurrection beside eye witnesses testimonies and the burial clothes that were found to be undisturbed.

What was Thomas's confession in verse 28? 

Thomas's confession was "my Lord and my God" He then believe in Jesus after seeing Him live.

What is Jesus' blessing offered to future believers's?

Jesus' blessing offered to future believers is ".. blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed''

(John 20:24-29) Why do you think Thomas is so stubborn about believing that Jesus was raised from the dead?

1.  Thomas was not present when Jesus appeared to the other disciples.  Therefore, he wanted to see Jesus for himself.

2.  I think Thomas was happy to see Jesus and all doubt was gone.  He no longer need to put his ha

What was Thomas’s confession in verse 28?

3.  "My Lord and my God!"

What is Jesus’ blessing offered to future believers?   

4.  Jesus' blessing to future believers is that they are blessed if they can believe without seeing.   

Q5. (John 20:24-29) Why do you think Thomas is so stubborn about believing that Jesus was raised from the dead? How do you think he felt when Jesus appeared before him? What was Thomas’s confession in verse 28? What is Jesus’ blessing offered to future believers?

We do not know about Thomas's background. Perhaps he had had dealings with or was influenced by the Sadducees-before he became a disciple of Jesus. The Sadducees did not believe in the resurrection of the dead (Mark 12:18). Thomas may have felt humiliated when he realised who this man was, standing among them. He may have felt overawed at Jesus presence, consistent with his response (v28). Jesus blessing was: "...'Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.'" (20:29).

Q5. (John 20:24-29) Why do you think Thomas is so stubborn about believing that Jesus was raised from the dead? How do you think he felt when Jesus appeared before him? What was Thomas’s confession in verse 28? What is Jesus’ blessing offered to future believers?

Because of the preponderance of evidence and the testimony of people he was so close to for 3 years to not believe is to me the stubbornness of men who will never admit to the gospel or any other issue because of pride or hurt feelings.  An unwillingness to admit or deal with their hardness of heart.

When Thomas saw Jesus all the concrete facade  eroded and he just confessed "My Lord and my God".

Jesus blessing offered to future believers  was "you believe because you see, blessed are those who believe without seeing".

God Bless!

Jen

Numbrs 6:24-26

Thomas was not with the other apostles when Jesus appeared to them. He heard their testimonies but still refused to believe them. He knew Jesus had died on the cross, and most likely he is disappointed on the outcome of their master. Only after he can actually see Jesus for himself will he believe.

Obviously Thomas felt ashamed of his statements and unbelief when he personally seen Jesus for himself.

Thomas's confession in versus 28, when see's Jesus is complete astonishment, he confesses Jesus is his Lord and his God. Now he knows that the master was his Lord, but seeing him raised from the dead, he now knows Jesus is also God.

Jesus blessing to future believers who can neither see or touch him have a special blessing for their faith. Greater is their faith for they in their hearts know Jesus is their Lord and God and will have life everlasting with him.        

Q5. (John 20:24-29) 

Why do you think Thomas is so stubborn about believing that Jesus was raised from the dead? 

What is Jesus' blessing offered to future believers?

Sometimes we should be grateful to people like Thomas who ask questions that we often would like to ask but never really get down to it for some reason or other. However, this attitude can become unreasonable, especially like many unbelievers in our world today. I think it is more of a case of being stubborn, and the fact that if they believe, they might be committed to react and move away from their self-interest and their comfort zone. For believe in our Lord demands some reaction. Eventually Thomas was convinced – and he confessed that Jesus was risen and that He was both Lord and God. Jesus Himself said that more blessed will be those who have not seen and yet believe. We only have to read the Word of God – the absolute truth, and believe. It is here that if God says a thing, we honour Him by believing it; but we dishonour Him by demanding any additional evidence. We know God cannot lie and therefore we are to believe it simply because He said it. 

Lesson 33 question 5

I believe Thomas's skepticism at this point is very understandable. He is my hero here. He wasn't going to take the word of his fellow disciples - he had witnessed their behavior in the garden and I expect he witnessed Peter's denial. So, at this point his skepticism makes his subsequent confession all the more remarkable and for me is one of the most convincing episodes to garner my faith in Jesus resurrection.

Later, when Jesus does show Thomas his wounds, he is finally getting his wish. He is now overwhelmed with love and thankfulness that he now can believe.

He confesses that Jesus is his Lord and God.

We too, when we hear this story and the other episodes of Jesus appearing can accept that this is true, that is we can with the preponderance of the evidence and with the help of the Holy Spirit can accept, believe and receive this good news!

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe it simply seemed too good to be true.  If you have witnessed a dearly loved friend cruelly murdered and even buried afterwards, you are unlikely to believe someone who says that person is now walking around meeting people, none the worse for the experience.  He must have been completely dumbfounded.  Thomas said ‘My Lord and My God!’, a strong affirmation that he believed now.  Jesus said that Thomas believed because he had seen for himself, but those in the future would be blessed who had not seen and yet believed.

• 2 weeks later...

Q5. (John 20:24-29) Why do you think Thomas is so stubborn about believing that Jesus was raised from the dead? How do you think he felt when Jesus appeared before him? What was Thomas's confession in verse 28? What is Jesus' blessing offered to future believers?

I have always wished I could actually see Jesus, touch him, and hear his words. There are there times I wish I would want to sit down with him and get his advice? Thomas wanted Jesus’ physical presence. But God’s plan is wiser. He has not limited himself to one physical body; he wants to be present with us at all times. Even now he is with us in the form of the Holy Spirit. We can talk to him, and we can find his words in the Bible. He can be as real to us as he was to Thomas.

Jesus wasn’t hard on Thomas for his doubts. Despite his skepticism, Thomas was still loyal to the believers and to Jesus himself. Some people need to doubt before they believe. If doubt leads to questions, questions lead to answers, and the answers are accepted, then doubt has done good work. It is when doubt becomes stubbornness and stubbornness becomes a life-style that doubt harms faith. When you doubt, don’t stop there. Let your doubt deepen your faith as you continue to search for the answer and wonder.

Jesus’ resurrected body was unique. It was not the same kind of flesh and blood Lazarus had when he came back to life. Jesus’ body was no longer subject to the same laws of nature as before his death. He could appear in a locked room; yet he was not a ghost or apparition because he could be touched and could eat. Jesus’ resurrection was literal and physical—he was not a disembodied spirit.

Some people think they would believe in Jesus if they could see a definite sign or miracle. But Jesus says we are blessed if we can believe without seeing. We have all the proof we need in the words of the Bible and the testimony of believers. A physical appearance would not make Jesus any more real to us than he is now.

Q5. (John 20:24-29) Why do you think Thomas is so stubborn about believing that Jesus was raised from the dead? How do you think he felt when Jesus appeared before him? What was Thomas's confession in verse 28? What is Jesus' blessing offered to future believers?

It is a blessing for us who have examined and felt our hearts filled by His love and conviction, then we believed, and came to better know Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit.

Each person is different, Thomas' doubt, from the devil, was later used by Jesus to send him to do great mission work in India. His confession in verse 28 went deep into his soul, since he was so disappointed and depressed by the loss of Jesus and knowing He died. Even Mary Magdalena was depressed like this at the open tomb, so much so she didn't recognize Him at first. These are deep emotions the disciples express. They give opportunity for growth by speaking them openly to God and fellow Christians.

Just as Peter's denial is used, by God, to help him become the rock, on which he would build, through the Holy Spirit, a great first century Christian church.

How will God use out doubts to strengthen us and use us more deeply in His Kingdom?  What pain will we suffer in these doubting moments when we are 'away' from God? Will it cost us our lives and trip to eternity? What will it take to remain in HIM? For sure a life's work, it shall take a deeper life investment for me, my dear brothers in Christ!

• 4 months later...

Thomas was elsewhere (John 20:24) when the others went to the tomb and discovered the grave clothes after Jesus had gone and he wasn’t there when the others saw and spoke to Jesus either.   Was Thomas at fault for his disbelief when in point of fact, not a one of the disciples really expected Jesus to be raised?  The others saw and spoke to him so it was easy for them to believe (afterward) but Thomas still had not seen him so he was skeptical.  When he finally saw Jesus with his own eyes eight days later I’m sure he was probably shocked and embarrassed for his disbelief.  His confession, …my Lord and my God in v. 28 was a great statement of faith that I believe overshadows his initial skepticism.  John clearly explains in his text that there were many things said and done that were not recorded in scripture.  We weren’t around in the first century to see and hear these things with our own eyes and ears but all of the things that have been preserved are all the proof that I need.  Jesus himself answered your last question for us when he said, “blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.” (v. 29)

• 4 weeks later...

Thomas may have been a pragmatist who had to touch and see for himself to believe. Perhaps he was still in such raw shock and sorrow that he simply couldn't process such a story from the other disciples.  Grief is exhausting, and maybe the energy required to hope was gone. When Jesus actually appeared to him face to face in answer to his challenge, Thomas felt a new kind of shock and awe!  With great joy and no further demands, he instantly realized there was no question or possibility that Jesus was anyone but his Lord Messiah and his God Yahweh, and he humbled himself in praise. It reminds me of Job's response after all that time of accusing Yahweh of withholding an explanation for all the loss in his life and presuming he deserved answers. When God finally spoke with all the awesome power of Sovereign Creator, all Job's questions were silenced. The only thing he could speak was a confession of his ignorance and pride (Job 42:3-6).

With this example of Thomas's realization and confession of truth, Jesus spoke the blessing that covers every person from that day to our day who believes on Him as Lord and God our Savior. Those who have only the evidence and testimony of the Word and other Christ followers, and yet believe, have a word of special blessing from Jesus.

• 2 years later...

I think that Thomas was so stubborn about believing that Jesus was raised from the dead is because it hadn’t been done before. He may not have believed what Jesus had been telling them about his death and resurrection and didn’t want to be fooled. I think that he was probably embarrassed because he was so wrong and had stood so strong about his unbelief. Thomas’s confession is verse 28 is declaring that Jesus is God. Jesus’ blessed those in the future for believing in him and not seeing him.

• 8 months later...

I believe he is so stubborn because this is the first time it has happened to someone he knew. He probably didn't believe Jesus would actually die on the cross and be resurrected. His confession was My Lord! and My God!  Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed. 

• 2 years later...

Thomas had a flagging spirit; he was a rationalist.   Despite a lethargic spirit,he deeply loved Christ.  He did have a tendency to look at the negative side of things; he couldn't hope against hope. Thomas lacked a believing spirit.

He must have been awestruck to say the least.  He saw the crucified Christ as his personal Saviour--as his Risen Saviour.  Thomas acknowledged the deity of GOD; the title Son of God explicitly denotes Deity.  It was firm belief in a Person that they could see, handle and prove---that gave them the impetus to trek long distances to preach and endure severe persecutions. Amazing how Christ was gentle with Thomas; Christ knew that he was not perfect in believing, but Christ had divine love and patience nevertheless.

We the elect of God and chosen before the foundation of the world, now full redemption and possess the benefits of the Gospel by faith.  Our faith rests on God's Word, not on sight.

• 9 months later...

Q5. (John 20:24-29)

Why do you think Thomas is so stubborn about believing that Jesus was raised from the dead?

What is Jesus' blessing offered to future believers?

Thomas had not seen Him, himself. Possibly there were false rumors spread around that false statements were being spread that Jesus had been seen. Thomas was thus very skeptical about it all.

He very likely was awestruck, especially when Jesus turned to him with exactly what was causing his doubts and pointed out the scars to him. 

My Lord and my God.  He acknowledged Him as God Himself.

Blessed are they who do not see Him but believe.