JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Culture Change

Q1. (Daniel 1:1-5) Have you ever made a rapid transition between your customary culture and a new and radically different culture?

These are sad days for America as I witness a gradual transition occurring in Her, a transition that is changing the customary culture of her foundation, a sound foundation that was established under God, out of the 55 signers of the Declaration of Independence, 52 were men were deeply committed to God, while the other three did believe the Bible was the divine truth, and it was the same congress that formed the American Bible Society; to today, when we find a nation whose foundation is crumbling beneath her, as America has leaders who no longer believe in the God America was established under, thereby, we see America “RAPIDLY” transitioning into a nation of many gods, as Her leaders trample on the one “True God” and His Holy Laws of righteousness.

Q2. What did it feel like?

Sadness is what it feels like, as I see the nation change the things God calls as black into white, as I see strength in America growing weaker by the day.

Q3. Were you able to take your faith with you, or did it fade to the background during this time?

True “faith” is faith we walk in, faith hungers after that of righteousness, it is “TRUSTING FAITH” that encourages me to “PRESS ONWARD” - and as my faith grows stronger, and trials come my way, I will be established on a firm foundation, just as Daniel made up his mind to be faithful to his God, I too will stand strong, as I understand, God is in control of everything.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (Daniel 1:1-5) Have you ever made a rapid transition between your customary culture and a new and radically different culture? What did it feel like? Were you able to take your faith with you, or did it fade to the background during this time?

The closest thing I can recall to that is when I left my small town to move to Ann Arbor to attend the University of Michigan. Even though I came from a rural part of the same county it was a big adjustment. U of M was also not the most nurturing environment for a young Christian's faith. It was confusing at times because very learned people were teaching me that my faith was a collection of ancient fables borrowed, in many cases, from older cultures than the Hebrew. They also made me feel stupid for believing creationist and young earth worldviews over and against "science." I tried to take my faith with me, but it gradually faded and I really didn't walk closely with the Lord for around 20 years after that. I never quit believing in God as creator or ruler of the universe, but I had a lot of non-biblical ideas and practices for a long time. He never let go of me though, no matter what I did and I thank Him constantly that He didn't.

I lived among multi -religious people ,having born and being brought up in India ,Although I moved out of the state ,I lived among people of different castes and culture ,but my parents laid a strong foundation of Faith .,even before pre- school period ,I would say ,the love that Jesus had for me ,helped me undergo a lot of stressful situations I faced ,when Dad died and when we lost our house for the national higway road that passed through our land , Christ  became very real ,a person that stayed close and faithful to the many promises ,,,Over time ,I had days that were spent in the middle of festivities and celebrations that was steeped in idol worships ,something that  a persona  cannot avoid in a close knit multi-culture community ,but ,like Daniel ,the strength came from  convictions to say NO to being overtaken or being unequally yoked together ,,,

When I was in my mid-20s,  I moved to southern Iran, near Susa.  The first month was eerily unreal, and dream-like.  The weather, the plants, the animals, and the physical characteristics of the land were much the same as my home in southern California, USA.  I recognized the architectural style as being like that of  old Mexico:  the rooms were along the back and sometimes the sides of an inner courtyard.  They were surrounded by a high wall with one gate along the road.  The roofs were flat and there was a staircase going up top. If the family had livestock, the animals slept in the patio.  But the culture was different, and I had to learn new rules so that I wouldn't offend the Iranians or get myself in trouble.  The differences were great, especially for a single woman.  Even under the Pahlavi Shah, there were things I couldn't do and places I couldn't go, just because I was a woman.  I lived and worked there for 3 years and then I returned to the US because I knew I wouldn't ever marry a Muslim man and I couldn't live there forever as a single woman.  Little did I know that six months after I left, the Shah would go into exile and all my coworkers would be evacuated with only one hour to gather their families and get to the airport which was about an hour's drive from our job site.

I was a Christian when I went to Iran, but my faith had never been tested like it was when I was there.  I knew only a couple Christians, also foreign women;  they were married to Muslim men and weren't allowed to have Bibles or openly practice their beliefs.  There were churches in town:  one was a Chaldean church and another was Armenian, and I didn't speak Chaldean or Armenian.  Alone, my faith faded into the background.

So, I understand why missionaries were and are sent out as couples and teams.  And I highly esteem the persecuted church, especially those prisoners who are alone in prison without a Bible.  Their faith is tested and it remains strong and true even though torture and execution.  The test I underwent was not as severe or horrific as what the persecuted believers go through, and still, my faith failed.

Q1. (Daniel 1:1-5) Have you ever made a rapid transition between your customary culture and a new and radically different culture? What did it feel like? Were you able to take your faith with you, or did it fade to the background during this time?

I have made rapid transitions to different cultures on mission trips and moving from church to church as a pastor to different parts of the USA.  It felt odd and at times I felt like a school child on his first day of school, wondering what was what and how to do things.  I discovered the quickest way to learn was to observe and ask questions.  Still I found people laughing at my mistakes and looking at me weird when I did or said something that was obviously from an outsider.  It took time to adjust.   Did I take my faith with you?  I would have to say yes, because that was the reason I was there.  My first interaction with the culture was with other Christians.  That was a big help.  Only in one place I visited was I told that I needed to be discreet about my faith and be cautious how I shared it with others.  In some instances, there was opposition about being too outward about Jesus.

The only time I have been in a different country with culture different than that of the U.S., is Turkey, here we not in any way to disgrace their flag, or not to take any photo's of their women. This culture was indeed radically different, it felt strange because living in a free country mixing with society is not problem. My faith was not changed due to the circumstances, but neither did try to witness to anyone, being I was in the U.S. service.   

Q1. (Daniel 1:1-5) Have you ever made a rapid transition between your customary culture and a new and radically different culture? I moved to France and learned French and found it difficult to be comfortable with so many different ways of their culture

What did it feel like? Were you able to take your faith with you, or did it fade to the background during this time?    I didn't have any faith at that time, I was lost! I lived the life one imagines of French, being attracted to  their food and wine. I thought at the time it was good to learn to live like this, but I lost my cultural values along the way

I have experienced a rapid transition of culture but not to the extent that my original belief cannot be practiced or prohibited.  I always feel grateful to God and His providence.  My faith in God has never change in the new living environment.

I am actually thinking of the End Time, when the Antichrist will rise and Christianity will be demoted. Should Christians follow the example given by Daniel?  Should they keep a low profile and do not resist or object to the governance of the Antichrist?

In my opinion Christian should learn the wisdom from Daniel and live humbly under the authority of the Antichrist, since from the Bible, we have learnt that the authority in this world has been given to Satan. (Job 1:6-11; Isaiah 14:12-15; Matthew 4:8; John 12:31; John 19:11; Romans 14:1; Colossians 1:13; Ephesians 2:2; 2 Timothy 2:26)

Will we forsake God by submitting to the authority of the Antichrist?  No certainly not.  Just like Daniel and Jesus Christ, both has submitted to the authority of the rulers of the world and fulfilled God the Father's will.

I've experienced culture change many times as I'm a missionary. My feelings are always (1) of deep gratitude to God for His love of people...He loves us no matter where we live or what our heart condition and (2) I'm always overwhelmed by the vacuum of lostness, whether its an opulent culture or stark poverty.

Practicing my faith is demonstrating His love...wearing His humility...listening...embracing the people...speaking truth. People respond to love even if they walk away in unbelief, they never forget that you loved them inspite of.

In my country, there is an immense cultural conflict with the Kingdom knowledge of God. Approximately 90-95% of the citizens claim to be Christians but with inherited cultural believes and practices that is in conflict with the word of God. These cultures include;

1. Believing in power of sorcery, witchcraft etc

2. Communicating with spirit of dead, ancestors etc

3. Payment of bride price (money and goods) by a groom to the pride's family prior or after marriage

4. Religiously, people bring their own opinion e.g. normal to get drunk, smoke tobacco, practicing polygamy etc. claiming these are acceptable to God.

My views changed when I gave my life to Jesus and am rapidly experiencing transforming power of the Holy Spirit. My belief system changed and now I began to understand Sovereignty of the Creator and His word as the standard for kingdom citizens. 

In my hunger to understand kingdom of God, I have registered in this program which is super beneficial to my spirit and I am so thankful to God for this ministry. I am starting to organised small groups and began sharing the word of God I have learned so far with Dr Ralph pray fully asking God's grace to give us better understanding. 

I am also beginning to write a book  to address Papua New Guinean's belief system with reference to the Kingdom of God.

I am Indian by nationality. In 1990 I left India and went to United Arab Emirates; I lived there for 25 years. It was radically different culture but I could in a way carry my culture as 40% of the population was Indian and especially the presence of Christian community and openness of the host nation to give Christians freedom to worship in designated places helped me to continue to have my faith exercised even thou speaking about my faith was limited to these designated areas.

Even then to have that freedom as against the neighboring country where even carrying the WORD OF GOD was restricted; was so much a relief.

Then this year I moved to US - Minneapolis - again a cultural change but here I have more freedom to express my faith as well as bring my faith. I am a student @ LUTHER SEMINARY studying for a M.Th.

Thanks...God bless,  

I am Indian by nationality. In 1990 I left India and went to United Arab Emirates; I lived there for 25 years. It was radically different culture but I could in a way carry my culture as 40% of the population was Indian and especially the presence of Christian community and openness of the host nation to give Christians freedom to worship in designated places helped me to continue to have my faith exercised even thou speaking about my faith was limited to these designated areas.

Even then to have that freedom as against the neighboring country where even carrying the WORD OF GOD was restricted; was so much a relief.

Then this year I moved to US - Minneapolis - again a cultural change but here I have more freedom to express my faith as well as bring my faith. I am a student @ LUTHER SEMINARY studying for a M.Th.

Thanks...God bless,  

I have made a rapid transition between my cultures to a new one. When I was working overseas I was having to do that. It felt different and I was an outsider which was difficult to contend with. I was able to take my faith with me but if I wanted to go to church I had to go to another country. I think that my faith grew during this time because I had to go out of my way to be with people of my own faith.

Yes. Recently I have moved from the Province where I was born and grew up and was working. I have to move with my wife and the three children that God has blessed us with. We moved to another Province which has got mixed cultures. Upon arriving I reaalised that these other cultures does not worship God the way we know. These people believe in their own cultural beliefs and for them to attend church does not mean anything because they can attend church while beliving in the sangomas, false prophets and  idol worship. But it did not affect the way we used to worship God.

It was not easy to leave my old African culture. It is was culture full of an Godly layouts and was deep rooted.I made a radical decison to leave when I gave my life to Christ. It was not easy to lose the faith I had that time. The old guard faded with time and sometimes the devil wants to remind you.

When I joined the Navy in 1970. Still America, but a totally different culture with a new language. I was not a Christian at the time; that came almost 2 years later through a serviceman's ministry in Vallejo, CA. I attended chapel services while in bootcamp, but that faded once out of such a structured environment. I would attend church while home on leave, but I was unsaved.

Yes, in a village in my own country that was dominated by a believe in witchcraft. The cultures and taboos of the people influenced the way christians practised salvation. withstanding some evils in the society put me on a collision course with fellow believers. I chose not to compromise. This meant standing alone in most instances.

Q1. (Daniel 1:1~5) Have you ever made a rapid transition between your customary and a new and radically different culture? What did it feel like? Were you able to take your faith with you, or did it fade to the background during this time?

Yes, I work as a hospital administrator and 5 years ago, with the exception of me the entire administrative team was let go and a new administrative team was put in place.  I had worked for my employer for 23 years and had to adjust to new leadership.  This new team is led by a homosexual CEO and all new administrative hires are gay.  The culture is very different from anything I have ever experienced. Gay and Female is the new "affirmative action" preference. I am very much an outsider because I refuse to acquiesce to any of the gay rights banter that has become prevalent,  I feel like a foreigner but my faith has not wavered.

I have made rapid changes several times in my life:

1. I went to medical school in the Soviet Union in 1963. This was a tremendous change for a girl (then) from Southern Africa, from a Christian background.

2. Another change was when I went to East Africa - Tanzania to be specific, where I did my medical internship. I was shocked to see men in long 'dresses' and women in black long attire with covered faces. This is dominantly a Moslem culture.

3. I then went to Israel in the early 80s where I did my specialization in Ophthalmology. A Jewish state.

How I felt:

In The Soviet Union I felt anxious initially. I did not know if I would survive more than six years in such a foreign country with a completely different culture and no visible church. On the other hand I was excited to learn a knew language and to make new friends. My fears were alleviated by the fact that I had my Bible and Hymn books with me. I also had my home girls and other foreign students who were Christians and we did not forget our Faith. So, I did not forget my Faith in all those three very diverse cultures: Communism, Moslem and Jewish.

For me a culture change didnt mean going into a different country, it was when my mother decided that she wanted us to be a family of women who wore the headcovering. From the time I was 11 to about 15 my mother and I wore the headcovering everyday. It threw us into a very different world. Even christians that knew us became offended that we would dare do something that drastic and they instantly felt like we were attacking them by our own choice to do something that we felt that God had called us to do. So while we didnt move away to a different culture we quickly and instanly were basically removed from the culture around us. In that time we learned how to rely on God and it made us really try to understand what it was that we beleived, and it forced us to act it out. It is a time i greatly miss in my life.  

My only experience with rapid transition between my customary culture and a new, radically different culture is from short-term missions trips to Central America. I clearly remember the first culture shock in Honduras of actually seeing what we would consider to be raw profound poverty. The language, the food, the way people drove on the roadways, the housing, the cultural customs would have been very intimidating if not for the oversight of the missionary couple we were helping. Being on a missions trip, of course, meant that my faith was encouraged and nurtured, so that wasn't a challenge.