JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Unashamed

Q2. In what ways does taking Jesus’ name on ourselves, or identifying ourselves with him, open us to shame and persecution? Have you seen examples of this in your own experience? What actions might show that a Christian is ashamed of Jesus? What actions might show that a Christian is unashamed of Jesus?          ​

When we identify ourselves with Christ we have the risk of getting ridiculed, laughed at and rejected and get persecuted too.  because Jesus himself was not accepted his disciples will not be accepted too as Jesus said in his Word.

Yes I have seen examples of friends and family distancing from me after I accepted Jesus as my Lord and Savior and trying to live a life pleasing to him.

Actions like compromising with the worldly ways and not standing for the truth and the name of Jesus shows a Christian is ashamed of Jesus.

Walking the narrow path come what may and living according to the commandments and statues and standards Jesus set for us shows a Christian is unashamed of Jesus.

• I think because the Word of God altogether seems like foolishness to those who are perishing.  Jesus and all that He stands for is not popular amongst the majority of this world's people.  So, certainly we as followers of Jesus Christ will experience jeering, taunting, ridicule, persecution, even death because we identify with Jesus, God's precious Son.

• For example, if we are among our family or friends and something negative is said about Christ, we become afraid and too embarrassed to speak up.

• For example, if we react like Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego in the Book of Daniel.  They told King Nebuchadnezzar that they would not bow down to him.

Q2. In what ways does taking Jesus’ name on ourselves, or identifying ourselves with him, open us to shame and persecution? Have you seen examples of this in your own experience? What actions might show that a Christian is ashamed of Jesus? What actions might show that a Christian is unashamed of Jesus?

In what ways does taking Jesus’ name on ourselves, or identifying ourselves with him, open us to shame and persecution?

We live in a fallen world.  Satan, the liar and destroyer, and hater of God,  has authority (tho' limited) in this world.  He opposes all who name the name od Jesus. Jesus assured us we would face persecution When he said. 'In the world you will have trouble.'  'If they hated me they will also hate you.'   I have a friend who sometimes says 'today is going so well what's wrong?  Am I not being a good witness'.

persecution is much more intense in countries where Christianity is a minority group.  As our brother has shared above.

Have you seen examples of this in your own experience?

as a missionary leader, I have travelled in many countries  and seen churches that have been burned to the ground, sometimes with the pastor and his family inside.  Churches have been surrounded and stoned by Muslim mobs then invaded and the people inside killed.  One man witnessed at a Sunday service I attended in Indonesia; he had just spent eleven years in prison for witnessing for his faith he had been beaten and tortured.  His face was glowing; It is an honour to suffer for Christ, he said, we must not give up or stop witnessing for Christ --  he is our Lord of Lords and in his name we have the victory.

In the Western world we don't really know what persecution really is.  If someone ignores us because we are Christian we think-- help I'm being persecuted.  We must learn to stand strong and not be ashamed of the great name of the one we serve.

What actions might show that a Christian is ashamed of Jesus?

Being silent when Christ's name is being blasphemed.  Staying silent in a group when people are discussing issues of the world.  We don't have to get in their face but just say something like 'whatever happens I know there is a God who is in control'.  God will honour such and people will take notice even if they don't say a lot at the time.

What actions might show that a Christian is unashamed of Jesus?

Getting active and serving in church, handing out appropriate tracts to friends, visiting people in trouble and sharing their testimony whenever they can telling people how wonderful our saviour is and what joy he brings as we trust him.  

Deep down everyone longs for a saviour.  We need to pray for the Holy Spirit to break through the fog of doubt and uncertainty that surrounds them.  These are things that people long for and need to hear from our lips.  Alleluia Jesus saves!  Don't give up ... in the end we win  :  )  See Rev Ch21- 22

Q2. In what ways does taking Jesus’ name on ourselves, or identifying ourselves with him, open us to shame and persecution? Have you seen examples of this in your own experience? What actions might show that a Christian is ashamed of Jesus? What actions might show that a Christian is unashamed of Jesus?

Taking on Jesus name for ourselves as followers of his may bring shame and persecution because the world hated Jesus first and they will hate us too.

The only shame I have seen of Christians in my area has been called "Ho;y Rollers or bible thumpers".

The actions that might show that a Christian is ashamed of Jesus is to deny that he is not a Christian and refuses to witness for him.

A Christian's action showing that they are not ashamed of Jesus is to confess that they are believers and followers of his and this may indicate to others their sinful ways.   

Mmmm, yes how many times I've not spoken up when the occasion

warranted me to say something. Or when I was afraid to witness to Christ.

I had been told that the world was hostile to Christians. Yet when I

became an industrial chaplain to people in the workplace I did not find it

to be the case.

Q2. In what ways does taking Jesus' name on ourselves, or identifying ourselves  with him,open us to shame and persecution? Have you seen examples of this in  your own experience?

What actions might show that a Christian is ashamed of Jesus? What actions  might show that a Christian is unashamed of Jesus?

1. Part of following Jesus is being willing to humble ourselves as he is humble.  And to take on ourselves whatever shame and persecution people dump on us  and in our day.

2.Yes! When they follow along with the unsaved and nottake on shame                          or persecution.

3.One who makes enemies of his religion leaders because of doing right.                  One who is publicly  executed and does notcare.

The world and its patterns thinks that we should live to satisfy its desires, and as soon as you identify with the ways of Jesus Christ you will be called names and even be considered as a stumbling block to peoples way of life.

Yes. I was hated by a member in the church beceuase i constantly condemn some aspect of his life that were not giving glory to the lord.

If you compromise in preach the true word, then you are ashame of His and His word.

By speaking His word in and out of season and living by it.

Q2. In what ways does taking Jesus’ name on ourselves, or identifying ourselves with him, open us to shame and persecution?

In this day and age Christians are regarded as simplistic idiots. In many educated circles evolution is assumed to be a proven fact . . Yeah I know it'll never be proved, but its proponents make it their lives' work to try and prove it . . and anyone who believes that God made the heavens and the earth, whether in seven actual days of seven billion years, is regarded as a naive fool who can't be bothered to investigate the "truth". We're also despised for our stand on abortion, same-sex marriage, and many other things condemned in the Bible, but popular with the masses.

My best friend is an atheist who believes with all his heart in evolution. He has no real moral compass and sees nothing wrong with *********** and many other things that Christians avoid like the plague. He's tolerant enough of my beliefs but it does make for interesting discussions. In the general world I don't have that high a profile that my being a Christian really attracts much persecution. On Facebook I'm often derided for my beliefs but that's water off a duck's back to me. That's not the real world, even though it's the whole world to many.

What actions might show that a Christian is ashamed of Jesus?

Sometimes people ask you outright it you're a Christian. If you answer: "Sort of . ." that means you aren't willing to fully commit. In fairness, it's sometime said because you aren't where God wants you to be and you don't want to bring shame to the name of Christ because you're not acting in a Christ-like way.

Any time we take a stand against things that are not according to God's will and purpose we proclaim our allegiance to Christ.

In what ways does taking Jesus’ name on ourselves, or identifying ourselves with him, open us to shame and persecution?

We become a new creature. Old things have passed away. We have become set apart. In that transition there is a cutting away from old patterns and behaviors. When old familiar spirits approach is we can have a tendency to want to pick up those habits again bringing shame or persecution from old friends.

Yes sometimes I'm called the good girl but I know that I'm a God girl.

What actions might show that a Christian is ashamed of Jesus? When we don't stand up for His word when others talk down to us about our Savior

We stand firm on His promises and beliefs

• 9 months later...

Taking Jesus' name on ourselves or identifying with Him open us to shame and persecution,  because people don't believe that He is what He says He is, therefore we who believe in Him are being persecuted. 

Yes, I have experienced it.

If yoy are a Christian and don't want people to know that you are a Christian and you are even afraid to talk about Jesus or call his bame, tgen you are ashamed to make people know that you are a Christian. 

When you boldly proclaim the name of Jesus and let everyone know that you are a Christian, then you are unashamed to be known as a Christian. 

• 1 year later...

As Jesus said if the world hates me it will hate you also. It is as simple as that. We will be persecuted or hated for our faiths and beliefs.

Yes I have I tried to share my faith with someone and someone got me in trouble for it. Everything I did for someone else was watched carefully like no tomorrow. I got called into the supervisor's office more times than I care to count. Now as a person in ministry I am being persecuted even more but by other faiths. 

By not doing his will in some way that He acts us to. Like not praying for someone when asked. Or not sharing your faith with someone. 

By sharing faith with others even when there is possibility of persecution. 

Q2. In what ways does taking Jesus' name on ourselves, or identifying ourselves with him, open us to shame and persecution? Have you seen examples of this in your own experience? What actions might show that a Christian is ashamed of Jesus? What actions might show that a Christian is unashamed of Jesus?

Q2. In what ways does taking Jesus' name on ourselves, or identifying ourselves with him, open us to shame and persecution? Have you seen examples of this in your own experience? What actions might show that a Christian is ashamed of Jesus? What actions might show that a Christian is unashamed of Jesus?

When we take on the name of Jesus we open up ourselves to ridicule and scorn. Ridicule from people who do not believe in God and think it is only a crutch we use. We open up ourselves to being poked fun of and laughed at because we do not follow the crowd. We open up ourselves to questions about the Bible and its authenticity and to skeptics saying it is only a book of fables and that Jesus was just a mere man or prophet. We open up ourselves to others who think we are being narrow minded and that there is more than one way to get to heaven. We might open ourselves up to being blamed for the deaths of other people years ago by so called Christians.

I have seen it in a place I worked at before where a supervisor was uncomfortable when I read a song I had written at a residents funeral in a nursing home. I seen it in someone else’s lifer when I was a teenager; when a guy in school was beaten up.

A Christian shows they are not ashamed of Jesus by openly talking about how He has changed them. They show they are His by obeying His commandments even if they get laughed at or fired. They show they are not ashamed by loving the very ones who hate them and praying for them.

A Christian shows they are ashamed by keeping quiet and not speaking about their faith or beliefs because they are afraid. They show they are ashamed by not witnessing or speaking out for those who cannot speak; like unborn babies. When they fail to show a difference in their speech or actions and let the world creep in and take over.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Ways that open us to shame and persecution - being accused that religion is a crutch for people who are weak, ignorant, unenlightened; also implying that people can walk on us and we shouldn't fight back if we are a true Christian;

Ashamed - not standing up for moral actions and tolerating crude jokes; looking the other way when people pray over their food; resisting being identified as a Christian among co-workers; excusing and rationalizing of disobedience from what the Bible says

Unashamed - proclaiming beliefs even when unpopular; standing on the promises of God in the face of troubles and hardship 

• 11 months later...

Jesus told His disciples that they would be persecuted and hated as He was when we take His name Christian we too can expect persecution ridicule d false accusations hated. My family have been spat on, name calling, assaulted and had our car tyres slashed, windows broken and eggs thrown. Jesus got the glory when He healed my husband they came and asked what had happened why he don’t use his walking sticks anymore. A person who is ashamed of Christ will do and say things which make it easy for themselves they show no difference than an non believer. A person who follows Christ who is not ashamed will be as a burning light, their lives and deeds will show Christ working in and through them .

• 4 months later...
On 12/10/2015 at 2:08 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q2. In what ways does taking Jesus’ name on ourselves, or identifying ourselves with him, open us to shame and persecution?  In our society, the name Jesus is commonly found esp in the Hispanic community so I don't see that as an issue anymore. What is an ongoing divide is the cultural resistance to organized religion, esp Christianity, which is now associated as a political right stance on social issues. We shame ourselves really when we corner believers into a political position.  

Have you seen examples of this in your own experience? No. I know quite a few men named Jesus, pronounced "He-Sus" and they were just fine people. 

What actions might show that a Christian is ashamed of Jesus? I've never known any. 

What actions might show that a Christian is unashamed of Jesus? I've seen many devout Christians wear the cross in jewelry form. I wear leather bracelets with Jesus on it, and another with the word "believe."

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/10/2015 at 2:08 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

a. Because following Christ opens you up to all kinds of criticism. We live different  -  no cussing, drinking, fighting, drugs, carousing, etc.  We are delivered or being delivered.  We are new creatures in Christ  and the Holy Spirit keeps us from sin and sinning and this condemns them.  Jesus is that the light has come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. For everyone practicing evil hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his deeds should be exposed.

b. Yes, when I came to Christ my life changed and even my family was all upset with me. Before, I knew about Jesus, but it was just a form and not a reality of knowing who he was and what He really did for me.  But I was hungry to know more about Jesus so I kept on keeping on getting to know the Word and being changed by it.

c. Our Church was not a church that promoted street witnessing and I always thought that a person had to have the gift of an Evangelist in order to witness.  When I first got saved I could not stop telling others of what Jesus had done for me.  I must say the fire went out after a few years. Now, in  getting to know Jesus through Bible Study  and studying the Word is helping me  to be who He has called me to be and do what He has called me to do.

d.  I notice one thing, that in witnessing, people don't object to your talking about God (but with them it could be any god), but for some reason they are offended when you speak the name of Jesus, and that is where all the power is and they need to know that.  His Name is above every name.  They need to know that Jesus loved them enough to die for them and to give them freedom in this life and everlasting life with Him and we need to share our faith with them.  

• 1 year later...

Since Jesus is our Lord and Leader and we are following him then it is only natural that we to might go through some of the same things that he went through if we are truly following him. The world is not always friendly to Christians just like people were not always friendly to Jesus. 

Yes I have seen an example of this sometimes when The Lord has given me something to say specifically to another (in love) sometimes the person didn't want to hear it. The person was treating me as though I don't know what I'm talking about. I'm younger then them how could I possibly know and the person is not even Christian themselves. I know it was from the Lord what I said and it was scriptural. It doesn't always feel good to be rejected but it's a part of life when you follow Jesus. So I just have to continue to pray for the person. That their hearts will open to receive. If not from me then from someone else.

An action that might show a person is ashamed of Jesus is not wanting to speak to others about him. Being afraid of what man thinks, parents thinks, friend thinks. Jesus made it very clear that we have to choose him first before even family if it came down to it. We still love the family and friends but still will have to side with Jesus first. Also not wanting to stand up for truth in the world. Again, just being afraid of man.

An action that will show someone is not ashamed is boldly speaking about Jesus no matter the cost. Even if we look foolish to other people. Even if others don't want to be around us afterwards we still stand with Jesus.

• 1 year later...

The people I love or have loved openly reject Christianity. My family and the people I feel most comfortable with have quietly and subtly pulled away. On rare occasions they openly mock my faith. I am very alone.

This is His will. 

(My oldest son accepted Christ two weeks ago. He is already experiencing rejection from our family and his girlfriend but is determined to persevere with His strength. We have a faith-bond, now, that far exceeds the bond that existed before. Praise God!)

• 5 months later...

Q2. In what ways does taking Jesus’ name on ourselves, or identifying ourselves with him, open us to shame and persecution? Have you seen examples of this in your own experience? What actions might show that a Christian is ashamed of Jesus? What actions might show that a Christian is unashamed of Jesus. 

a. How friends of a previous lifestyle look down us. Pushing me to continue the bad life style. Dealing with the temptation of my previous life. 

b. Yes. Saying we use Jesus as a crutch. Calling me a self righteous person.

c. Being embarrassed to pray in public. Do you feel the need to laugh at off colored jokes. Temptation to join in on bad language.  

d. By praying in public, by reaching out to the needy. By inviting people to know Jesus or to go to church  

• 4 weeks later...

Q2. In what ways does taking Jesus’ name on ourselves, or identifying ourselves with Him, open us to shame and persecution?

ANSWER: We are likely to experience persecution at some point because of our allegiance to Christ and the gospel. Christians are naturally the objects of disdain and hostility. No one wants to suffer, but in a fallen world it is unavoidable. If we understand the inevitability, purpose, and fruit of suffering for Christ, and the resources He gives us to face it, we will be better able to endure when it comes. Forewarned is Forearmed.

We should begin by noting that Jesus was steeped in Scripture and knew all about the persecution and suffering of the prophets and other godly people in the Bible. He knew that such evil ultimately grows out of the spiritual darkness, blindness, error, and sin that dominate the hearts of fallen people and cause them to resist truth and righteousness.

He understood as well the opposition that His followers would face from their families, communities, the world, and the devil, and He sought to prepare them. Jesus frequently warned His followers (us) that they (we) would face persecution and suffering. Clearly, persecution was and is a real possibility for anyone who followed Jesus

ANSWER: The persecution of Christians is increasing and from first-hand experience I can tell you they need our help. This includes prayer, but we can also be answer to their prayers, but providing for their needs. I have seen the impact of their help first hand and heard testimonies from people who continue to receive support. There is no limit to the amount of kindness to be bestowed upon others  because every single act of Christian charity/acts help.  

What actions might show that a Christian is ashamed of Jesus? ANSWER: To be ashamed of Jesus means that you shy away from identifying with or sharing the Gospel because you are worried about being tied to Jesus. This worry is based on fear of embarrassment or humiliation, feeling guilty or embarrassed about something you have done or about a quality in your character.

ANSWER: To live unashamed of the gospel means we proclaim it, but it also means we apply it to our lives and show we believe it. To live unashamed of the gospel means that we, are to allow it to dominate our lives to the extent that everyone within our sphere of influence can see that we have “been with Jesus”

When we identify with Christ, God gives us a new identity.

Instead of SINNER, you are called CHRISTIAN.
Instead of
LOST, you are called FOUND.
Instead of
ENEMY, you are called FRIEND.
Instead of
UNRIGHTEOUS, you are called RIGHTEOUS.
Instead of
SICK, you are called HEALED.

Instead of POOR, you are called RICH.

Instead of ENEMY, you are called FRIEND.