JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. (2:15-16) In what way is God's glory dependent upon us living submissive, obedient lives? How is God hurt when we get rebellious?

God is not dependent on us in any way. However, if we have accepted that we are God's children and His heirs, we have also accepted that we are to be obedient to Him and accept His leadership in every aspect of our lives. If this is so, we will radiate the indwelling Jesus that came when we were reborn in Him. Those in the kingdom of God are to be meek and humble; they are to be last and to serve; they are to love their neighbour and their enemy; they are to obey secular authority to the extent it is not in direct conflict with our faith. The more we live righteous lives, the more we reflect the person who is at the centre of it. It is part of our worship. To be rebellious is to put ourselves or the world first, not God. God wants us to come to Him and to stay with Him, because He loves us. When our priorities are wrong, it means we are not being submissive and obedient to Him. It is a rejection of His love and to that extent it hurts.

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:) When we live our lives righteously, submissive and obedient, God gets the glory. When we live as God has directed us we are blessed. And the world sees how blessed we are, they want to know the God we serve and in this God gets the glory.

God is is hurt by our rebellion; because He gets no glory when the world sees us living just like they do, they don't want to know our God.

:) When we live our lives righteously, submissive and obedient, God gets the glory. When we live as God has directed us we are blessed. And when the world sees how blessed we are, they want to know the God we serve and in this God gets the glory.

God is is hurt by our rebellion; because He gets no glory when the world sees us living just like they do, they don't want to know our God.

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Living submissive, obedient lives permits God to work in our lives; develop our character and use us for what He purposed us for. A rebellious person cannot be corrected, trained or taught. God cannot use a rebellious person. It hurts God in that He cannot use a rebellious person for the purpose God has intended.

• 7 months later...
Q1. (2:15-16) In what way is God's glory dependent upon us living submissive, obedient lives? How is God hurt when we get rebellious?

When we as live submissive lives, it glorifies God because it shows not only that we are being obedient but that we are dependent upon Him, communicating with Him, reaching out to Him because otherwise we could not be submissive in ourown selves. Rebellion hurts God because it shows we are not listening to him, that we are not concerned enough about our relationship with Him to follow His ways. Great study Pastor Ralph!!! Thanks for everything.

• 1 month later...

God's glory is depenent on us living obedient lives because all that we do should be to his glory. If we are being disobedient, he does not get any glory from that. God is hurt when we are rebellious because we are his children. He dwells in us, yet we do not show that when we go against his will.

• 1 month later...

You and I in Christ have a special relationship to one another. And as we love one another and serve one another the world will see that and Christ will be Glorified. The idea is thst God wants us to take full advantage of our opportunities to represent Him in this sphere of our lives. And so Peter says in ( 1Peter 2:15) " For it is God's will that by doing good you should silence talk of foolish men."

In other words, don't dishonor God as we represent Him before the world, because God has given authority to punish evil-doing when Christians do it.

That's not the message God wants us to send to the world. We are free in Christ, so let's not be in bondage to anything that would drag His name through mud.

Peter addresses this in ( 1Peter 2:16 ) " Live as free men, but do not use your freedom as a cover-up for evil; live as servants of God.

( verse 17 ) Show proper respect to everyone: Love the brothrhood of believers, fear God, honor the King."

God has given us freedom, but it's freedom from sin and its effects. It would be sinful to discount governing authorities which God has placed over all men for their benefit.

Let's not put ourselves in bondage by entertaining sin. Rather, let's flee from it and honor God through obedience. We have been called to freedom, but this freedom is meant to allow us to be bond-servants of God.

God wants to restore us to the original intent of loving and serving Him rather than serving the enemy and our sinful selves. And that's what Peter has in mind when he says in ( 1 Peter2 :16 ) "Live as free men, but do not use your freedom as a cover-up for evil; live as servants of God.

Peter then summarizes our responsibility to God by living out our responsibility to men in this world.

This is why we are instructed to pray for such leaders. And so Peter ends this section regarding our responsibility to government.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

We are representives of God and He expect us to carry ourselves as such. How can we win people over to Christ if we act like we have no respect for authority hear on earth. We will not have the respect in glory and God is not having that in heaven. God is hurt by our rebellion when we make Him look bad if front of those who innocently seek His face, and we turn those people away from Him.

• 3 weeks later...

Were servants of the Lord therefor we we must be submissive to him and all authority. In being submissive to all and being Loving and obeying God's laws people can see we are God's children. In so doing this brings glory to God.

When were rebellious were telling God we think we can handle our live better than he can its like turning our backs on him. When people see us acting out it doesn't entice them to turn to the Lord.

I am called to be salt and light to a lost and dying world. If I ignore the rules of this land, those in authority ie police, pastors employees, if I fiddle my expenses, spend my work time on the office phone, take the wrong change and don't pay my bills, I am blending in. THIS IS SIN, it prevents God's glory from being shown, it damages my witness and IT SENDS FOLKS TO hell. It bitterly hurts and grieves God.

HOWEVER I have a responsibility as a Christian to promote fair, just rules and as such while I obey the rules of the land, I can also vote in Christian leaders and work to changes laws that do not honour God

Do everything without complaining and arguing, so that no one can criticize you. Live clean, innocent lives as children of God, shining like bright lights in a world full of crooked and perverse people. phil 2:14-15

• 1 month later...

God's glory is exalted whenever we live a life like Jesus who is humble, submissive & obedient to the will of his Father. In our civil society, God has placed leaders who is supposed to guide us achieve the goals. The leaders who oversee us are humans and most of the time Christ unbelievers . As christian workers, we are bringing the reputation of Jesus on the line. Our actions reflects upon Jesus whom we should model. To bring glory to God, we should put in our hearts that God is always watching us. He will be happy to see us bringing glory to His name in our society or in the workplace. :lol:

When we live a life of submission and obedience to the Lord, those living in sin will glorify God as a result of them giving their lives to Him as well.

Our behavior is a direct reflection on God because non-Christians are always watching us to see what we are going to do, to see if we are who we claim to be. We should always keeps our hearts and minds on Christ in every situation so that our actions will be Christ-like and as a result bring glory to God. His glory will shine through us out into a lost and dying world and others who's hearts are ready will come to know the Lord.

• 2 months later...

God's glory is dependent upon us living submissive, obedient lives because we reflect Christ to the world. When we are rebellious we hurt God by being disobedient. The world relate to God based on our relation to them. As someone said, 'the only Jesus some may ever see is the Jesus in me and you'. To shouw Jesus as uncaring and rebellious is not bring glory to Him and the world does not see Him in all of His glory through us.

• 2 weeks later...

God's glory is dependent upon us leading voluntarily submissive and obedient lives for the glory of God. God is hurt when we intentionally or unintentionally sin or become rebellious because his glory isn't shown.

• 4 months later...

We have freedom in Christ, In that freedom Christ's glory is to shine through us by living submissive, obedient lives. We are to love people, have respect for them and the authority over us. I think by doing this, we will show the world we are different and God will get the glory. I think when we get rebellious, we are turning our backs on God, denying Him, and that grieves our Father greatly.

When we live our lives in obedience to Gods will by following in the example that Christ set for us, we will bring glory to His name. When we portray the love of Christ through our obedient service to all in his name, when we become servants and willingly offer service to all in need people will take note and through this witness will see the love of our lord.

On the contrary when we try to fit in with worldly ways and expect to be waited on or shown favour the opposite effect can be seen. When we try and push our beliefs on others in a secular way through assertion most time we see rejection and our God is hurt.

Lord teach us to understand your love for us, that we to can learn love those around us and in doing so glorify your precious name in Jesus name Amen.

• 3 months later...

In our world today, God has called us to submit to Civil Government, to obey Civil Authority. We are to be humble even though we are oppressed, and this He commands us to be. In this way God's glory is dependent on us. However where the Government is breaking God's laws, we have every right to rebel against this.

God has placed the civil authorities over us to care and serve us and we are to accept this. God is hurt when we don't accept this and in our own way do what we please.

• 2 months later...

We give God the Glory when we obey His word and the earthly government that has been put place for us to obey. Wow! hurting God is by doing the opposite of His word and breaking the earthly laws that has been established by our government.

• 1 month later...

The way we portray ourselves is how others view God. It has been said that the only Christ that people may see is in a Christian. Therefore, it is imperative that we represent God well in our behaviors. We need to be submissive in order to demonstrate our love for Christ. When we get rebellious we show that we are no different than the world. If people ask why they should come to Christ, what response can we give when our lives are out of order? I think of our own children. If they leave the house and are unruly and disobedient at someone else's house,then naturally people will assume that they are being raised a certain way. Ultimately, it is a reflection of the home---of the parents. This is the same that is true for our behaviors and the reflection it has on God.

• 2 weeks later...

In what ways is God's glory dependent upon us living submissive, obedient lives?

Matthew 5:7 says:"Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy." Therefore it is important that if we would like the mercy and glory of God then we should be merciful and shoe love to others for this is the only way others are going to see the love and mercy of God. So if we want to receive God's glory then we should be obedient and submissive to His will, His word. For even Paul tells us in 2Thes.3:10: That if a man would not work, neither should he eat. So if we want something then should we be willing to be obedient and do something to receive God's mercy and Glory or else we may miss it all together.

How is God hurt win we are rebellious?

I'm sure that God is very disappointed and hurt with us win we are rebellious just like we are as dad's and mom's when our children are rebellious, just even more so. For when we are rebellious to God then are we letting Him down and also keeping others from seeing and knowing the love of God that they may also turn unto God to receive mercy and His Glory.

• 2 months later...

Q1. (2:15-16)

In what way is God's glory dependent upon us living submissive, obedient lives?

How is God hurt when we get rebellious?

We have this paradox of Christian life, we are free yet we are slaves. We can live as free people but we must use our freedom to glorify God. This we do when we serve Him faithfully. It is when we start disobeying God that we dishonour Him and hurt Him. Of course, everything we do should be for the glory of the Lord and the good of His kingdom!

• 7 months later...

When we are rebellious we are not obeying the law of the land. The protesters of the Vietnam war are a hard example. They were "ruight" but think of how it hurt our soldiers stationed in Vietnam to hear of war protesters. It was a lose-lose situation.

Now we have the war in Iraq, we don't seem to have the same level of protest from our youth. Are we living in the "Fifth great spiritual awakening" so as to not rebel and make God sad?

I pray to submit my ego to the firing squad, such that I can truly submit to God's will in my heart, soul, and mind. Giving Him the Glory all the time is what it is all about!

• 3 weeks later...

I think of a relative of mine who has claimed to be a christian for a very long time, yet showed no respect to her parents and was actually trying to lay claim to a piece of property that wasn't hers.I remember hearing unsaved relatives expressing concern about whether she was indeed a christian or not, because of her rebellious actions.Her actions did not reflect obedience to God's words or His ways.We can hurt God's kingdom by our disobedience, such as dishonoring authority .We are set free to glorify and serve Him, not set free to sin and do whatever we feel like doing.

• 2 months later...

Q1. (2:15-16) In what way is God's glory dependent upon us living submissive, obedient lives?

God is glorified when we live submissive and obedient to His commandments. His name is not maligned when we live as servants and give those in authority the respect that is due them.

How is God hurt when we get rebellious?

God is hurt when we get rebellious and refuse to give respect to authority. Those around would speak ill of the people of God, they may even be treated with contempt and disgraced. All this brings hurt feeling to God who would that all men love Him and live by His Word.