JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Harmony in the Church

Q1. (3:8-9) Which of the qualities Peter mentions in 3:8-9 are most evident in your congregation? Which are most needed? What can you and your friends do to change the relational climate at your Church so it is more Christ-like?

Its sad to state that the church in general doesn't possess the above qualities. Speaking in particular about our church, its worse. Superficially, its strong, but deep down in people's hearts, there's nothing equivalent to any of the things of vs. 8,9. All the characteristics mentioned there are needed in our church, most important being, humility and serving attitude. What I can do and am doing it is gather with like minded friends and work individually to spread awareness of these characteristics.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been attending my present church for a little over ten years and I have seen all the qualities that Peter mentions. At various times I have seen and experienced harmony,sympathy,affection told others,compassion, and humility. Also I have seen no evidence of grudges either past or present among the members.

i We are praying earnestly to be of one mind, ie for unity. We are teaching on it as well.There is a lot of compassion. Love as brothers is growing in our new congregation, and courteousness is there.

ii Returning blessing for evil seems a difficult one - people struggle witht hat. Being tenderhearted is and advaanced assignment when someone is bothering you

iii What a brilliant question is this third one! We have shining examples in our pastor and his wife, who are balanced, no nonsense people as well as tenderhearted and compassionate. I think hospitality is important as a way of drawing close to people and encouraging each other in these qualities - the more they see them in action, the more they can imitate them. Hospitality to the weaker or new members of the church family is most important (I don't mean those who persistently learn nothing)

The qualities that Peter mentions that are in my church are: sympathetic, we love each other as brothers, and there is compassionate. What is most needed is to be humble. What can my friends and I do to change the relational climate is to pray, and teach. My husband and I go to church in the inner city. We see God is working, and not tiring out the Pastor and her husband.

My husband and I live in a small community in Texas. When we first moved there people were slow to open up to us. I think that is just backlash from the world we live in. I can't possibly blame anyone for being cautious. But we wrote a note to all our closest neighbors and invited them to come over and join us for a bar-b-que. Two of our neighbors came over and said hello but no one joined us for the bar-b-que. We started going to the church down the street and the people there were definately friends of Jesus. They rejoiced when we showed up and they haven't, in my opinion, stopped rejoicing yet. When I'm faced with any difficulty in church, no matter what it may be, I try to remember that Jesus accepts us just as we are. I try to be that accepting and I believe the people in our church do the same. How humble is that? I know that they are compassionate, they have great compassion for me, a poor lost sinner. They were always sympathetic to my needs and affectionate towards me, and still are. True colors shine through with time. The people in our church are still shining. For the most part everyone is harmonious and hold no grudges, but we are talking about humans here. There are some problems, but they do not persist. You can't have so many together in one place and not have any disagreements. But they seem to agree to disagree and hold no grudge and go on. We must try to remember that the church is not a place for perfect people, it is a hospital for sinners. We're all there for the same reason. I've seen this church serve many, and have been asked to serve also. I've given my support willingly to many programs and have had great examples to follow in my fellow church members. We are called to be Christ-like and that is the only way we will ever change anything. We must be a good example to all those around us.

• 1 month later...

Overall, all of these qualities are evident in our church family, though one does not see what is in the hearts of people. I am sure that, for the most part, we are harmonious and free of strife; we are generally sympathetic, affectionate and compassionate. As far as being humble, grudge-free and full of blessing, we do exhibit these traits, but I am personally aware of instances where people are cool to others because of a past "history" or an unresolved conflict that occurred in the past. It is frustrating to be aware of these situations and the resulting tensions that result. It detracts from the strength of the Body. One thing me and my friends can do about changing the relational climate for the better is to pray about it, but also be sensitive to those opportunities to openly discuss relational difficulties when they arise.

• 3 weeks later...

:huh:

Q1. (3:8-9) Which of the qualities Peter mentions in 3:8-9 are most evident in your congregation? Which are most needed? What can you and your friends do to change the relational climate at your Church so it is more Christ-like?

Hmmm. I am not a member (so to say) of a local Church Building, but I do visit which ever ones I do because I desire to be active in the Church in my Community. Up to this point I have not been planted in one because of the lack of what God say's in 1Pt 3:8,9, and not only a lack there. For some part they all have some of those qualities, but I tell you, if something is an abomination to the Lord, then it is an abomination to me and I will not subject myself to it. All of the qualities mentioned here:

1Pe 3:8 Finally, be ye all of one mind, having compassion one of another, love as brethren, be pitiful, be courteous:

1Pe 3:9 Not rendering evil for evil, or railing for railing: but contrariwise blessing; knowing that ye are thereunto called, that ye should inherit a blessing.

are needed. I can not change the climate in those churches myself. It must be a group effort. And as far as effort goes, this shouldn't be a hard thing to accomplish if every member really had a heart for Christ. I am wearied by the church. I am also sorry to say it, but it is so. I would love nothing more than for every believer to believe God and obey Him, rather than people trying to disprove the Word and bringing their false doctrine in. Even here at home. I live in a big building and there are people who say that they love God, but also say they don't believe all of the Word. Sheeesh. Where do I go? :unsure:

• 3 weeks later...

I feel that my church has most of these qualities. They work together an dsupport others in need. All are needed to make us more Christ like churches. We should work on them at home before we can expect others to do the same.

• 3 weeks later...

The qualities Peter mentions in 3:8-9 that are most evident in my congregation are love as brothers and being humble. The most needed is harmony. My friends and I can practice these qualities in ourselves so we can be an example and reach out to others to change the relational climate at your Church so it is more Christ-like.

• 2 months later...

I am new (2 months) to my new congregation so I don't know them well enough. I think a common problem in congregations is humility. It is very hard to respond with blessing but that is what God asks us to do. Responding with blessing in situations where we are treated insultingly or in any way unfairly can difuse the situation. This will result in less conflicts.

• 6 months later...

:D I absouletly love my church. It is definately a place where God is moving in our midst. We are all well fed here. I think the reason for this is because the majority of the people, including the pastors, leaders/elders are truly "walking lights." I really don't know how to describe it, but these people really do love each other and take really good care of one another and they desire to spread this through our community. Out of all of the churches I've been to, and I've been to quite a few, I've never experienced another church like this one. They all seem to long to follow and chase after God's own heart and will.

:( As for the rest of the questions, I really can't answer. You see as much as I see the overwhelming amount of love that these people have for God and for others, and although that this is something that I want in on deep down inside, I just for some reason still have this lingering fear thats holding me back.

You see, I grew up in a Christian home and my family and I were very involved in another church. My parents divorced when I was about 15 years old and the people in the church looked down on all of us. We all lost our "positions," not to mention our respect within this church. I lost my babysitting jobs and some good friends. Understand though that I no longer hold these people or other christians for that matter accountable for thier attitude towards us. I don't hate them, I've let all of that go, because I have learned that I am quite capable of doing the same thing to others. Afterall we are all human and none of us are perfect. (IF anything this has taught me to be more compassionate and less judgemental of others.)

So I guess because of all of this I just don't feel like I really can belong anywhere. I am not good enough to be part of God's family. BUT I know that, that according to God's word that is not true. And these people at this church have been great. They are always asking and encouraging my family and I to join them for all kinds of activities. But everytime I think about doing this, it's like a panic attack rises within me and I just can't do it. I know it doesn't make much sense to me either.

• 1 year later...

:o It is wonderful that most people here speak well of their churches.

8] Finally, all of you, live in harmony with one another; be sympathetic, love as brothers, be compassionate and humble. [9] Do not repay evil with evil or insult with insult, but with blessing, because to this you were called so that you may inherit a blessing.

The leaders/elders of my church make up a dictatorship and lord it over the flock. They live out the opposite to verses 8 and 9.

Which of the qualities Peter mentions in 3:8-9 are most evident in your congregation? Which are most needed? What can you and your friends do to change the relational climate at your Church so it is more Christ-like?

I stay there because I feel God has a work for me to do there, even though at the moment I am not allowed to do so because the elders refuse to 'change' and reach out into the community. :(

My friends and I need to pray, and pray and continue to pray that the Holy Spirit will work in the face of opposition from these elders.

• 4 weeks later...

I think the quality that is most evident in our congregation is compassion. When hardship or tradegy strikes one of its members then the congregation rallies round to do all in its power to help. A crisis seems to bring out the best of us. However, I think this quality should extend to times when there is no crisis. I think that we should improve the affection we have for our brothers and sisters; we should encourage greater harmony. Somehow we gather for services and most of the congregation then dispurses. Only a few go to Bible study or prayer meetings. I think we should make greater efforts to be a more cohesive community. Perhaps we should worship in each others homes more often; pray together more often. Plan charitable work that involves everyone so that the church is living everyday and becomes the centre of our daily lives.

There is much love and concern for each member. There is a caring and sympathetic ex presssion for all members. A prayer chain is available night and day. Many of the needs of less fortunate are being met. People who need jobe homesm childdren caare and jobs are being kept for weeks at a time.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Qualities most evident in our congregation are being like minded, compassionate, and affectionate as brothers and sisters. Qualities most needed are being grudge-free and full of blessing. To change the climate at church we need to pray and get what problems we have straightened out. We need to be more Christ-like. I believe it would help us to study and talk about these qualities that we are lacking. It would be good to have study lessons on these topics.

• 2 months later...

The Qualities Peter mentions in ( 3:8 ) are most evident in our congregation are actually lacking..There is much pride, We do have a few of the older saints that have the quality of humility and very humble and loving. We have to many clicks.

As we submit to God He will enable us to show how a humbling before Him will bring proper humbling toward one another. A humble heart will put others before yourself and it will be sensitive to the needs of others and it will cause a desire to love the brethren because we know that Christ loves them. This is all practical living which is born out of love for God. And we know that we love God becasue He first loved us. That truth alone should humble us.

So in light of this Peter continues in verse (9 ) " Do not repay evil with evil or insult with insult, but with blessing, to this you were called so that you may inherit a blessing.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.joyfulheart.com/forums/index.ph...;f=39&t=173

There is brotherly love and compassion in our Church, but generally it is more a question of each to his own. We are so wrapped up in our own problems and concerns, and the stress and worry of the world around us, that we tend to become introspective and more subjective than objective towards our fellow man.

Interest in and concern for others are what are most needed. We tend to judge by appearances and from first impressions. This is a very shallow approach to relationships while we are called to ' be sympathetic, love as brothers, be compassionate and humble.'

Relationships with others, start with our relationship with God, and how we view Him. Do we see Him as ' Abba, Father' i.e. with an intimate, loving, close relationship? Or are we fearful, apprehensive, guilt-filled with a distant relationship. 'live in harmony with one another; be sympathetic, love as brothers, be compassionate and humble' To do this is not easy for us. We have been brought up to look after ourselves and regard ourselves as 'no. 1'. To be outward looking, with genuine concern for others, as we would have for a brother, is what we are called to do.

There is brotherly love and compassion in our Church, but generally it is more a question of each to his own. We are so wrapped up in our own problems and concerns, and the stress and worry of the world around us, that we tend to become introspective and more subjective than objective towards our fellow man.

Interest in and concern for others are what are most needed. We tend to judge by appearances and from first impressions. This is a very shallow approach to relationships while we are called to ' be sympathetic, love as brothers, be compassionate and humble.'

Relationships with others, start with our relationship with God, and how we view Him. Do we see Him as ' Abba, Father' i.e. with an intimate, loving, close relationship? Or are we fearful, apprehensive, guilt-filled with a distant relationship. 'live in harmony with one another; be sympathetic, love as brothers, be compassionate and humble' To do this is not easy for us. We have been brought up to look after ourselves and regard ourselves as 'no. 1'. To be outward looking, with genuine concern for others, as we would have for a brother, is what we are called to do.

• 1 month later...

I can,t speak on the new church that I am in now, because I have not been there long, but the church I belonged too for eleven years we had some of everything in it. We had sympathy and we had retaliation the like mindedness was not there for the entire church. We had people in the church that would lie on you to get what they want. It was being taught to the children. I left the church and I am now, slowly letting it go. This study is really helping me to see my part in this because I do feel like I have been wronged. I don't want to go back to that church because I don't want to end up in the same situation again. My former home need to be more humble. Pray for our own selves that we delivered and mature in our thinking. So that we can have like minds in Christ Jesus.

I can,t speak on the new church that I am in now, because I have not been there long, but the church I belonged too for eleven years we had some of everything in it. We had sympathy and we had retaliation the like mindedness was not there for the entire church. We had people in the church that would lie on you to get what they want. It was being taught to the children. I left the church and I am now, slowly letting it go. This study is really helping me to see my part in this because I do feel like I have been wronged. I don't want to go back to that church because I don't want to end up in the same situation again. My former home need to be more humble. Pray for our own selves that we delivered and mature in our thinking. So that we can have like minds in Christ Jesus.

• 3 weeks later...

I think we are pretty good in all these ares but I think we could all use a little more of each one of theres things. I think harmony we could use a little moe of and probably humility.

I think we all need to reach out and set the example for others in the church.