JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Threat - Response

Q2. (Nehemiah 4) How does Nehemiah respond to his enemies’ ridicule? How does Nehemiah respond to military threats? What effect does this have on construction? How does Nehemiah respond to discouragement and fear in the people? How do you respond to discouragement and fear? What “walls” need to be rebuilt in your life to protect you from temptation and sin?

• 2 months later...
On 8/15/2017 at 6:33 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q2. (Nehemiah 4) How does Nehemiah respond to his enemies’ ridicule?

Nehemiah refused to respond in the same manner and ignored the insults.  Instead, he prayed to God.

How does Nehemiah respond to military threats? What effect does this have on construction?

First, Nehemiah prayed.  Second, he placed guards 24-hour to protect the city.  There was discouragement and fear.  The people became exhausted and vulnerable to the enemies threat. 

How does Nehemiah respond to discouragement and fear in the people?

Nehemiah responds by reinforcing the most vulnerable places in the wall and arming the workers to provide security while working.

How do you respond to discouragement and fear? What “walls” need to be rebuilt in your life to protect you from temptation and sin?

Most times I pray for guidance.  In today's climate, I do have great concern about the path our country is going and become afraid.  That just lets me know I need to get more in the word, pray for our enemy  and remember that God is in control.

On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 3:33 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

d  Q2. (Nehemiah 4) How does Nehemiah respond to his enemies’ ridicule?

He didn't respond to them but prayed and turned them over to God to deal with them. 

How does Nehemiah respond to military threats?

He set watchmen  to keep an eye on them day and night and when the threats continued he set armed men along the wall  with swords, spears and bows, where it was least protected.

What effect does this have on construction?

Very little. They kept on building.

He sized up the enemy then encouraged the people to not be afraid and to take courage,  He reminded them they were the Lords' and to keep Him foremost in their minds and hearts. Then added  that the purpose of their building was for their brothers, sons and daughters, wives and homes. Next he divided them up into shifts of workmen and soldiers, on and off.

How do you respond to discouragement and fear?

I wish I could say I'm courageous, but the truth is I've battled fear since my violent and abusive childhood. So fear is almost always my first gut response to trouble or trials. Then I turn to the scriptures I've written down and also memorized to start to do battle. The Lord has been helping and healing me in this area, but It seems that I will always have to deal with fear on some level. He is delivering me bit by bit however. He reminds me He has not given me a spirit of fear but of love, power and a sound mind.

What “walls” need to be rebuilt in your life to protect you from temptation and sin?

The seven pieces of God's whole armor in Ephesians 6 has been so helpful to me when I remember to "put it on".  I personalize it when I put it on in the morning...I start at the top thanking Him for His gift of the helmet of Salvation, then the breastplate of His righteousness which covers me,  left hand: His shield of faith   which quenches the enemy's darts,   right hand: His sword of the Spirit, the Word,  then the belt of His truth which guards my loins and the shoes which help me "run fast and far with the Gospel" and to stand firmly in my "Place", and lastly the gift of praying in the Spirit (tongues) V 11-18 at all times and in all ways.

Also the wall of prayer before I start my day is my best defense even for fear which boils down to not trusting the Lord to take care of me or mine. He is faithful to give me scriptures which encourage me and remind me that I'm never alone, abandoned, or without help and resources to face whatever the day brings, in terms of temptation or trials or disappointments. Last night I was awake in the night fearful about my husbands serious health issues. The Lord reminded me of the promises He's given us for the future, then led me to Luke 1:45 "Blessed and happy is she who has believed that there will be a fulfillment of the things that were spoken to her from the Lord." That settled my spirit and I went right back to peaceful sleep.

Nehemiah responded to his enemies’ ridicule by ignoring them. The military threats he decides to put a guard in the more vulnerable places and arms the workers. By doing this it must have cut the construction production in half. Nehemiah respond to discouragement and fear in the people by he tell them to go the Lord in prayer. When I get discouraged I get down in the dumps but then after a while I will turn to the Lord like I should have all the time.

Nehemiah had faith in God so he prayed to Him for help and ignored his enemies’ ridicule.

Nehemiah is very concerned about the military threats and made certain that he had 24hour guards at the vulnerable parts of the wall.  He also armed the workers working on the wall.

The creation of 24hour guards and the army of workers slowed down the building of the wall since he had to pull workers to stand guard 24 hours and some workers found themselves  half working on the wall and half guarding it.

He reassured the workers that God would see them through.  He tried to boost their courage by telling them not to be afraid since God was with them and would keep them safe.  He also reminded them that the purpose of the wall was a means of protection for their city and their family.

I read the bible and pray.

Q2. (Nehemiah 4) How does Nehemiah respond to his enemies’ ridicule? How does Nehemiah respond to military threats? What effect does this have on construction? How does Nehemiah respond to discouragement and fear in the people? How do you respond to discouragement and fear? What “walls” need to be rebuilt in your life to protect you from temptation and sin?

Nehemiah turned to God for vindication. He ignored the taunts. He trusted that God would take care of the matter and instead concentrated on the task ahead of him. As far as the military threats, He prayed. He reminded himself that ultimately God was their Protector. He then moved into action. He set armed guards around each wall to make sure all areas were protected day and night. He armed the builders and the material handlers. Everyone pretty much looking after their brother. This slowed the construction some, but made everyone feel safe enough to continue the building of the walls.  

When I am faced with fear and discouragement, I immediately seek God in prayer.  I reach for my bible for words of wisdom: for the promises and blessings that are rightfully mine as a child of God. I also seek my closest Christian friends for prayer support and godly advice.

Q2. (Nehemiah 4) How does Nehemiah respond to his enemies' ridicule? How does Nehemiah respond to military threats? What effect does this have on construction? How does Nehemiah respond to discouragement and fear in the people? How do you respond to discouragement and fear? What "walls" need to be rebuilt in your life to protect you from temptation and sin?

As is typical with Nehemiah, he turns to God in prayer. Instead of responding with more words Nehemiah asked God to return their insults to them

Concerning military threats, Nehemiah places armed guards at vantage points and arms the workers also. Half the people were on guard duty while the other half worked, and even the half that worked were armed, work with one hand while carrying a sword in the other.

Nehemiah would remind the workers that God was with them and that the king was behind them also and, so they worked with one mind.

I have, over the years learned to go to God in prayer at the first sign that things are not going right, but, I still tend to initially go to pieces at times. Something I need to be more consistent at is thanking God for all He does for me and for the way He always takes care of us. I believe in “pre-emptive” thank yous’ in  strong anticipation of something but need to be more consistent in the post thank yous’.

Q2. (Nehemiah 4) 
How does Nehemiah respond to his enemies' ridicule? 
How does Nehemiah respond to military threats? 
What effect does this have on construction? 
How do you respond to discouragement and fear? 
What "walls" need to be rebuilt in your life to protect you from temptation and sin?

Nehemiah does not respond to their taunts, instead he concentrates on the work to be done and calls on God to vindicate their cause. He knows that ridicule can cause discouragement and despair. To military threats again he turns to God and he strengthens his defences by stationing extra guards by day and night. The sooner the walls are built the sooner will they be safe – so there was a renewed energy that motivated them to finish as soon as possible. Initially I tend to panic, but fortunately after a short while I come to my senses and turn to my Heavenly Father for help and wisdom. It is then that I start thinking rationally and have this peace that comes over me. I put my trust in Him and I do not lean on my own understanding, acknowledging Him in this problem knowing ultimately all will be solved. “Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths” (Proverbs 3:5-6). I know that if I study and meditate on His Word, I’m actually building a protective wall around me against temptation and sin. “I have stored up your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you” (Psalm 119:11).

Nehemiah response to the ridicule of the enemy bye encouraging and preparing his people for anything that the enemy might do. He divides the workmen in to  pairs, one to work and one to bear arms. He also encourages each worker to keep his sword by his side as he works. Thirdly he organized a response that when he blew his trumpet the workers were to Rally  who it to him to repel any attack. This preparation encouraged  the people and kept them working on the project. Nehemiah also encourage the people to trust and pray to God. We must often respond to our fears in the same way as nehemiah's people did .

Q2. (Nehemiah 4)

Q. How does Nehemiah respond to his enemies' ridicule?

A. He ignored the ridicule and kept on building the wall;

Q. How does Nehemiah respond to military threats?

A. He prayed to God organized the people and took up arms to protect themselves.

Q. What effect does this have on construction?

A. The work slowed down as some workers had to keep watch over others

Q. How does Nehemiah respond to discouragement and fear in the people?

A. He motivated them to fight and defend their family and the work

Q. How do you respond to discouragement and fear?

A. I pray, turn to the Word of God particularly the Psalms

Q. What "walls" need to be rebuilt in your life to protect you from temptation and sin?

A. My faith and repentance from all shades of sins

Nehemiah responded with prayer.

He armed each family and had a plan in case of attack.

It slowed down somewhat.

He prayed and reminded them of God's power and that He would be there with them.

Hopefully, with prayer and knowing God is in control!

Walls of prayer, the Word and praise!!

Q2. (Nehemiah 4) How does Nehemiah respond to his enemies' ridicule? How does Nehemiah respond to military threats? What effect does this have on construction? How does Nehemiah respond to discouragement and fear in the people? How do you respond to discouragement and fear? What "walls" need to be rebuilt in your life to protect you from temptation and sin?

1. He didn't respond to them but prayed for them.

2. He made sure that he had 24 hour guards at the vulnerable parts of the wall. He also armed the workers working on the wall and the workers worked with one hand while carrying a sword in the other hand.

3. The work slowed down due to some workers having to keep watch over others.

4. He reassured the workers that God would see them through. He encouraged them by telling them not to be afraid because God was with them and would keep them safe.  He reminded them of the purpose that the wall was a means of protection for their city and their family.

5. I pray to the Lord and read the bible or some other encouraging spiritual words.

6. I just need to continue to look to God and not get angered about some things that are necessary.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/15/2017 at 6:33 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Nehemiah respond to his enemies’ ridicule by praying to God about words of the enemy.  Nehemiah respond to military threats by praying and positioning men to guard the project twenty four hours. The work was hindered because of tiredness  of the men doing double duty.  Nehemiah respond to discouragement and fear in the people by encouraging them to fight for their families and remember that God was on their side. My respond to discouragement and fear is to trust God, my Shepherd.  The “walls” of complete surrender need to be maintained in my life to protect me from temptation and sin.

How does Nehemiah respond to his enemies' ridicule? He responded with a two fold strategy: Nehemiah called upon God to vindicate their cause (Nehemiah 4:4-5). Just as Jesus did not answer his accusers and those who mocked him (1Peter 2:23)

How does Nehemiah respond to military threats? He responded with a two fold strategy

(i)           He prayed to God

(ii)          (ii) He posted a 24 hour guard to protect the city.

What effect does this have on construction? The work slowed but it was necessary to allocate guards.

How does Nehemiah respond to discouragement and fear in the people? He developed a 2 fold plan to provide defense.

(i)           Reinforce the most vulnerable places in the wall and

(ii)          Armed the workers so as to provide security even while they are working

He encouraged them not to be afraid of them. He encouraged them to fight for their families. He set a personal example of constant preparedness, as what they people see their leaders doing, they are likely to emulate (Nehemiah 4:1-23)

How do you respond to discouragement and fear? I retreat.

What "walls" need to be rebuilt in your life to protect you from temptation and sin? Vulnerability to temptations, failing to arm ourselves daily. Not trusting God, unpreparedness and week, not able to defend ourselves, distraction of sin.

• 2 years later...

Nehemiah responded to ridicule by ignoring it and turning to God for help. They continued in their building of the wall.

Nehemiahs enemies then planned military action, but Nehemiah was prepared. He had guards stationed at the most vulnerable parts of the wall, when the people were working they had a weapon close to hand. Everyone was prepared to fight if it was needed! The work was slower because of these precautions but it was necessary to safeguard the wall and the people. The wall was eventually built. As the people grew tired and discouraged Nehemiah encouraged them by telling them that God would fight for them. He encouraged them to fight for their families. He also worked alongside them so they would emulate Him. At night He told all the people to stay inside Jerusalem and not travel to their homes in the villages outside Jerusalem. He stayed with them. He also had a trumpeter who was with him and he was to blow the trumpet if there was any trouble and all the men would go towards the trumpet if it was blown.

I respond to discouragement by feeling sad until I talk to myself and God , and realise that it was not for me or that I have no control over something that has happened so there is no point in being down about it. 
Over the years I have learnt to trust God but it is something I need to work on when something unforeseen happens. It’s not that I don’t trust but I need to thing about God’s promises and apply them to the situation I find myself in.