JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. The Compassionate God

Q2. (Nehemiah 9:7-35) Why is God’s compassion emphasized so strongly in Israel’s history? How can God’s compassion be present even in times of tough discipline (Hebrews 12:7-11)? How does the compassionate God of the Old Testament relate to Jesus giving himself as a ransom for sinners (Mark 10:45)?

• 2 months later...
On 8/15/2017 at 6:38 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q2. (Nehemiah 9:7-35) Why is God’s compassion emphasized so strongly in Israel’s history?

Israel did not deserve God's mercy.  God's compassion is emphasized strongly because he did show them love and mercy over and over again.

How can God’s compassion be present even in times of tough discipline (Hebrews 12:7-11)?

God's compassion is present because disciplining you proves his love for you.  

How does the compassionate God of the Old Testament relate to Jesus giving himself as a ransom for sinners (Mark 10:45)?

If God was not a compassionate God he would not have sent his Son to die on the cross for our sins.  

On 8/15/2017 at 3:38 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q2. (Nehemiah 9:7-35) Why is God’s compassion emphasized so strongly in Israel’s history?

Israel only had periods of time when they were obedient to the Law of God...without His compassion they would have been destroyed as a people. He threatened to wipe them all out at one time and Moses interceded on their behalf and God in compassion, relented. They didn't deserve Mercy (nor do we) but Mercy triumphs over judgment. 

How can God’s compassion be present even in times of tough discipline (Hebrews 12:7-11)?

I think discipline IS compassion. To let us continually go astray is not loving or kind or compassionate. That's why He exhorts us to train up our children in His ways....so when they are old they will not depart from it. (Prov 22:6) Some see the recent disasters around the U.S. and other nations, as His judgement. I believe He has shown me that it's His love and compassion to awaken the slumbering Church, and to cause the unbelievers to take note that things aren't "normal"...and are asking "What is going on? Why is this all happening?" (I've had unbelievers ask me those questions, and recently had one of those, a transgender young man, pray with me to receive Jesus as His Lord and Savior. He then told me that "I prayed and asked God to send someone to me today, and He sent you!" How I thank the Lord for that young mans questions about the time we're living in, his prayer and for the privilege of sharing and praying with him!)

Correction and discipline is unpleasant, but afterward I've been thankful that He loves me so much that He takes the time to discipline and train me.

How does the compassionate God of the Old Testament relate to Jesus giving himself as a ransom for sinners (Mark 10:45)?

God was unveiling the mystery of what He planned to do all along through Jesus on the Cross to save sinners from hell. He wanted a people who would love Him, rather than robots who had to do as He said, so even knowing that Adam and Eve would choose to believe the serpent, the evil one, He set His plan of redemption into motion before the foundation of the world was formed. (the Lamb was slain BEFORE the foundation of the world was formed) and patiently through the ages, eventually working through His chosen people from Abraham (who lived in the time of grace before the Law was given at Sinai through Moses), then from Moses, to the Judges, and the Prophets who recorded the mysterious plan, in preparation so Messiah Jesus would not be missed when He arrived in Bethlehem and eventually was crucified in Jerusalem. That's His compassion....to give up His only begotten Son to die because as the song says "He didn't want Heaven without us..." He bought back, with the precious blood of our Savior Jesus, that which was His, then was lost through rebellion of Adam.. The tragedy is that more will  reject Him and choose hell than will choose Jesus' gift and walk into His loving arms!

This song says so beautifully what I was trying to express in words:

I think that God’s compassion is emphasized so strongly in Israel’s history because they seem to always be breaking the law and in order to stay in God’s grace, God had to be compassionate. The reason that we might be going through a tough discipline is because we were doing things against God’s will and He was being compassionate by correcting us. I think that God giving us his one and only son to die for our sins is the most compassionate thing that God has done for us.

God’s compassion is emphasized strongly in Egypt’s history, since He was leading them to the promised land.  He always forgave them their inequities, for not obeying His commandments, for worshiping other gods during their sojourn in the wilderness.

God is a merciful, loving, forgiving God.  He always forgave the Israelites their evil, wicked ways.  At the same time He did not hesitate to punish them constantly for not observing His commandments and believing in Him despite the wondrous things He did for them.. He had them wandering in the wilderness for 40 years, but He was always there with them.

God is a loving, merciful, compassionate God.  He sacrificed His Son, Jesus, so that our sins may be forgiven.   Jesus was willing to take our sins upon Himself by being crucified on the cross.   Jesus was compassionate in giving his life for us sinners so that we may have eternal life.

Q2. (Nehemiah 9:7-35) Why is God's compassion emphasized so strongly in Israel's history? How can God's compassion be present even in times of tough discipline (Hebrews 12:7-11)? How does the compassionate God of the Old Testament relate to Jesus giving himself as a ransom for sinners (Mark 10:45)?

I would largely believe encouragement. Even as Israel’s history was being written in the time of Abraham or Moses, or even going back to the time of Adam and Eve (although with Adam & Eve is pre-Israel), God knew that we would be reading about His compassion to a lost world of undeserving sinners. God especially had reason to be compassionate to His people Israel, because they were HIS people, but the same rules apply to all of mankind. Although they will be judged, God has allowed evil people to continue till today, giving them the same undeserved chance He gave me. The compassion God showed to His people throughout Israel’s history is very encouraging to me because it is through God’s law we are blessed and what He showed to His people applies to me also, and I’m not even a Jew!

God’s compassion is very much present in times of harsh discipline because if we were to get the punishment we deserved we would all end up as fuel for the goat cooker, plain and simple. God is right here for us if we will only take the time to listen.

I relate the compassion of God to the sacrifice Jesus made as neither were warranted or deserved. How sad a day when our Lord has to be nailed to a cross to show His love for us, only to ultimately have the even celebrated with chocolate bunnies passed as gifts. God had no good reason to be patient with the Jews no more than Jesus should have had to be treated the way He was & still is by the very people He created. The words “wretched man I am” don’t only apply to the one who wrote them, my name is on the list also.

The most important commandment of all is love. God's compassion and Jesus's love rings out loud here.

Q2. (Nehemiah 9:7-35)

Q. Why is God's compassion emphasized so strongly in Israel's history?

A. To illustrate that despite us- our failures and rebellion, God is still great in compassion and is ready to welcome us back from our waywardness. 

Q. How can God's compassion be present even in times of tough discipline (Hebrews 12:7-11)?

A. He remains compassionate even when He disciplines us because just as a father here on earth disciplines a child because he loves him and does not want him to go wayward, so God loves us so much that He has to discipline us so that we do not become wayward.

Q. How does the compassionate God of the Old Testament relate to Jesus giving himself as a ransom for sinners (Mark 10:45)?

A. The compassionate God of the old testament loves Jesus but loves us so much that He allowed Jesus to die in order to save us from destruction

Q2. (Nehemiah 9:7-35) 
Why is God's compassion emphasized so strongly in Israel's history? 
How can God's compassion be present even in times of tough discipline (Hebrews 12:7-11)? 
How does the compassionate God of the Old Testament relate to Jesus giving Himself as a ransom for sinners (Mark 10:45)?

It is through His compassion that His glory is revealed. It is the same with His love, mercy, grace, faithfulness, forgiveness, and justice – they all reveal His glory. The way He treated Israel historically, revealed to the whole world, His character, and His nature, and also the way He relates to His creatures. He is a just God, and sovereign over all, but will not tolerate sin or disobedience nor idolatry. Yet He is patient to the extreme giving us chance after chance. I read once: The sovereignty of God is absolute; yet is never exercised in condemning men who ought to be saved, but rather has resulted in the salvation of men who deserved to be lost. This, I feel, includes all of us. When we face trials of any kind, we should realise that our Heavenly Father is treating us as His children, and like any good earthy father only has what is best for us in mind. We need to be disciplined for our own best will. By disciplining us He is trying to mould us into the image of His Son. We can be sure that He is acting with compassion, even when at the time the treatment seems harsh. We can be assured that in the long run, we will benefit. We must remember that His discipline is always perfect and His love is always infinite and His wisdom is always infallible! Sometimes we tend to think of the God of the OT as a God of wrath while the God of the NT is a God of love. However, God is always the same. He is unchanging (immutable). So He was the same God in both the OT and the NT, who is full of compassion but hates sin. He is infinitely worthy of trust, because He is absolutely and eternally unchanging in His being, His perfections, His purposes, and His promises. In Psalm 102:25-27 we read: “Of old you laid the foundation of the earth, and the heavens are the work of your hands. They will perish, but you will remain; they will all wear out like a garment. You will change them like a robe, and they will pass away, but you are the same, and your years have no end”. The sacrifice of His Son Jesus Christ is proof of His love and compassion towards us.  

His compassion emanates from His love.  He cares about us. He cared about His people and His name among them.

It's his compassion and love that disciplines us for our good.

He cares for, loves His people.  Jesus was the only solution to our sin problem.  That's how big His love for us is.

2. (Nehemiah 9:7-35) Why is God’s compassion emphasized so strongly in Israel’s history? How can God’s compassion be present even in times of tough discipline (Hebrews 12:7-11)? How does the compassionate God of the Old Testament relate to Jesus giving himself as a ransom for sinners (Mark 10:45)?

God emphasizes the compassion of God very explicitly as it appears in the history of Israel because a it is very important and would not have occurred  if all Heather of being left to the Goodwill of the people. Salvation history is dependent upon God who is the founder of all mercy and compassion. It is only through this mercy and compassion of God that people are able to ascend to heaven to be with God for eternity. The why is this? The reason is that through God's grace he gave to us, Gentiles and Jews, the gracious gift of salvation by his son Jesus Christ who died on the cross that day 2000 years ago and in three days was raised from the dead. He ascended into heaven and now sits on the right hand of God the Father. From there he is our advocate, he covers off with a cloak of righteousness which he provides for us. It covers our ugliness of sin and we are closed in righteousness as we stand before a god of the father. Christ then speaks and recommends us to God, we are introduced to God and to an eternal relationship with him where no longer Satan has access to us to tempt us to do sinful and evil Deeds. No more will be have to bear the Barb of the evil one but we will stand forever in the presence of God singing his praise - Glory Hallelujah forever.

because we are just some by God it does not mean that God does not love us and will not provide us with his grace if we can repent for those things that we have done.

it seems that the only way, or the best way for our sins to be forgiven is 4 Jesus to have died on the cross for us. They're on the cross and when he descended into the Eternal Darkness he no doubt experienced sufficient pain and suffering so that I are penalties for our sins we're paid in full and that we could enter before God's presence with a cloak of righteousness and that we would be able to be in an eternal relationship with God forever and ever. Amen.

A

Q2. (Nehemiah 9:7-35) Why is God's compassion emphasized so strongly in Israel's history? How can God's compassion be present even in times of tough discipline (Hebrews 12:7-11)? How does the compassionate God of the Old Testament relate to Jesus giving himself as a ransom for sinners (Mark 10:45)?

1. Israel didnt deserve God's mercy. God's compassion is emphasized strongly because he wanted them to know that he loved them and they were his people.  

2. God's compassion is present because his disciplining us shows his love for us.  He does not want us to go a stray.

3. Jesus was the only way for our sins to be forgiven because his blood was pure. John 3:16 states: For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

2. (Nehemiah 9:7-35) Why is God's compassion emphasized so strongly in Israel's history? How can God's compassion be present even in times of tough discipline (Hebrews 12:7-11)? How does the compassionate God of the Old Testament relate to Jesus giving himself as a ransom for sinners (Mark 10:45)?

It is important for the people to know off God's compassion for it helps them to understand they're past their present and their future. One of the main ways that we learn of God's compassion is by reading the scripture of those things that happened in Years Gone by.

It is important to know that compassion can exist even in a discipline. People nearly always love their children, but it is still often necessary to discipline them. Not to discipline when a child has gone wrong is not to show love but contempt.

The compassionate of God off the Old Testament send a Jesus his son to be ransomed for our sins. If God had not been and is not compassionate but to us people then he would not have sent his only son to be ransomed.

• 2 weeks later...

Why is God's compassion emphasized so strongly in Israel's history? Because the Israelites fell in deep sin when they created a golden calf and worshiped it as god, yet God forgave them of that sin. It is stressed that “But you are a forgiving God, gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and abounding in love. Therefore he did not desert them …. (Nehemiah 9:17).

“God appeared to Moses in the cleft of the rock, passed in front of him, proclaiming, “The Lord, the Lord, the compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness, maintaining love to thousands, and forgiving wickedness, rebellion and sin. Yet he does not leave the guilty unpunished …” (Exodus 34:6-7a)

How can God's compassion be present even in times of tough discipline (Hebrews 12:7-11)? If you endure, chastening; God deals with us as his children.

How does the compassionate God of the Old Testament relate to Jesus giving himself as a ransom for sinners (Mark 10:45)? He give us his only begotten son to come and die for our sins that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. He keeps his covenant of love.

On 8/15/2017 at 6:38 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q2. (Nehemiah 9:7-35) Why is God’s compassion emphasized so strongly in Israel’s history? How can God’s compassion be present even in times of tough discipline (Hebrews 12:7-11)? How does the compassionate God of the Old Testament relate to Jesus giving himself as a ransom for sinners (Mark 10:45)?

God’s compassion is emphasized so strongly in Israel’s history because He never failed to show them, to reveal to them just how much He loves them. God’s compassion is present even in times of tough discipline (Hebrews 12:7-11) because He chastises with love.  The compassionate God of the Old Testament relate to Jesus giving himself as a ransom for sinners (Mark 10:45) as He prepared a body for the Son of God to be ransomed for the people that He loves.

• 1 year later...

One reason His compassion is emphasized so strongly is to make us understand that God will forgive us if we love Him with all out heart and repent. 
God’s compassion is present because of His Love for us.
Relates the same way with his love for us, God gave His Son as a ransom for our sins of the past, present, and future.

• 1 year later...

Israel’s history is a cyclical history of sin, hardship, repentence, Compassion from God with forgiveness, obedience, backsliding, sin. Always God is waiting with compassion to forgive them and bring them back into fellowship with Him. 
God discipline’s us because he loves us and wants us to be holy. He shows His compassion by discipline. If He didn’t love us He could just leave us to wallow in our sin and die. Discipline reaps a harvest of righteousness and peace. Just as parents discipline their children because we want them to become decent God fearing adults who contribute to society in a meaningful way and because we love them so God has compassion on us and treats us as His children which means He discipline’s us.

God carries this great compassion through to New Testament times by sending His precious son to die on the cross to give us the opportunity to spend eternity in His presence in heaven. Jesus gave up the splendour of heaven to come to a sinful world to serve us sinful creatures by dying on the cross to ransom us from a lost eternity.