JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Disappointment

• 2 months later...
On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 3:43 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q4. (Nehemiah 13:30-31) How should you respond when the people you are ministering to disappoint you?

Carefully and prayerfully. We might be the next one to disappoint someone else! I remember that we're each accountable to Him and let them off "my hook".

How must you treat them?

Gently and with compassion and forgiveness....we're all frail and subject to falling and failing. And I say this with humor....not like Nehemiah who beat them and pulled out their hair! :o (Even if we WANT to):unsure:  I've also learned they are not my responsibility, they are His. I "lay them gently on His altar" where it's safe and there are no more fires or sacrifices offered there. He knows what to do in each situation and life.

What must you do to sustain your own faith and spiritual momentum in times of discouragement?

Prayer support from friends or intercessors who understand and have been in the same place themselves before can be helpful.  When I'm really stuck I ask others to pray with me, remembering His promise that "When two or more agree together as touching anything we ask it will be done for us by our Father in Heaven". (Matthew 18:19) Also doing as David did when he was discouraged and "encouraged himself in the Lord", I  get in the Word, asking for the Lord's encouragement and insight into what's going on.   I find writing in my journal is helpful in dealing with my emotions in a healthy way and all of those "floating thoughts" become clear when I write them down then clarity usually comes in how to get past this and "get moving" again.

On 8/15/2017 at 6:43 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q4. (Nehemiah 13:30-31) How should you respond when the people you are ministering to disappoint you?

I must continue to pray for them.  I must show patience, recognizing some people mature spiritually slower than others.  I must be an example before them.

How must you treat them?

I must treat them with love.

What must you do to sustain your own faith and spiritual momentum in times of discouragement?

Again, I must be patient.  I must stay prayerful and continue to do the work that the Lord has assigned me to do.  

I think that you should respond to people you are ministering to who disappoint you by doing what God wants you to do. You have no control over the other person. You can talk to them so that they know you are disappointed in them, but that is about all you can do. But in times like that it is best to go to God in prayer.

I think that one should not be discouraged but be patient, continue to love, show mercy and continue to administer to them. 

Treat them with love and encouragement.

Continue to seek quiet moments with the Lord.  Talk with Him about your discouragement.   Look to Him for guidance

Q4. (Nehemiah 13:30-31) How should you respond when the people you are ministering to disappoint you? How must you treat them? What must you do to sustain your own faith and spiritual momentum in times of discouragement?

Although the response should include love patience, it must be remembered that these are things which must be just that, included. Although this response can be generalized in terms of how we should respond, I think it goes much deeper and needs to be handled on a per case basis as, no matter how much two cases might show striking resemblances, each one is unique and requires appropriate tending. Nehemiah must have been quite the man, in that he pulled people’s hair out and physically beat them up. One must wonder how many of his own wounds he licked in the process of such extreme discipline. Or, maybe God empowered him for the task and people saw that in him invoking fear among the guilty. I know for a fact I wouldn’t have lasted long dealing with the situation the way Nehemiah did.

In times of discouragement, which can be really hard and trying, I think back at how stubborn I was in the face of all the people God sent my way over a period of years and think how my rejection to their approaching me with the Word of God and the promise of eternal life. For some reason it didn’t seem like it bothered them, or else they just didn’t show it. Perhaps, they were simply doing as Jesus commanded and shaking the dust off their shoes. I know that things I said hurt and cut to the core and it was the fact that they just moved on that gives me the strength I need to get through stormy weather. That doesn’t make it any easier knowing someone is walking away, still in the throes of the enemy, but it just seems like people showed great patience with me at times when I should have got what Nehemiah was dishing out. As much as I’ve said here, I don’t feel as though I’ve answered the question the way I wanted. When my jaws are flapping in person it usually takes me a while to arrive at what it is I’m trying to say. I thank you for your patience with me even as I often thank God for His great patience with me.

Q4. (Nehemiah 13:30-31) How should you respond when the people you are ministering to disappoint you? How must you treat them? What must you do to sustain your own faith and spiritual momentum in times of discouragement? I should respond with much patience, with love and understanding when people I minister to disappoint me. Though like Nehemiah and Paul, I have to be honest in letting them know what it is that they are doing that brings about disappointment. Never give up. I remind myself that the word of God does not return void. In due time, I shall reap what I sowed. Maybe, someone else will water the seed that was planted. In all, God's name shall be glorified.

1 Corinthians 3:6-8King James Version (KJV)I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase.

So then neither is he that planteth any thing, neither he that watereth; but God that giveth the increase.

Now he that planteth and he that watereth are one: and every man shall receive his own reward according to his own labor

In times of discouragement, I remind myself that God has been faithful and merciful to me. He has brought me this far and promises to be with me until the end. The enemy wants to see us defeated. Without our faithful prayers, he gains territory. Especially when we have family members, friends, co-workers, etc. that have yet to know Jesus as Lord and Savior. This gets me back on track as I get on my knees and ask God to forgive me for my discouraging spirit and revive me again through His Holy Spirit.

God is my refuge and shield, my fortress,  my banner, The Good Shepherd. I've got much to lose if I turn my back on Jesus. I press forward knowing that my God will sustain me and I will be rewarded in due time.   

Here we are at the end of Nehemiah finally. It's been worth it and quite a journey these past two months. 

Q4. (Nehemiah 13:30-31) How should you respond when the people you are ministering to disappoint you? How must you treat them? What must you do to sustain your own faith and spiritual momentum in times of discouragement?

We shouldn't change if people disappoint us. We are all imperfect. But, this is not what I have seen in churches nor with pastors. Himself is the only one who doesn't change and cannot disappoint us.

Treat others like you'd want the to treat yourself. Like Jesus.

It's hard when discouraged. I know what to do, but do I do it? It times of discouragement we need to spend even more time with God. He is faithful!

Q4. (Nehemiah 13:30-31) 
How should you respond when the people you are ministering to disappoint you? 
How must you treat them? 

God is the all-powerful Creator, and He preserves and governs everything in the universes – He owns it all. He works out everything in conformity with the purpose of His will (Ephesians 1:11b). So, when people disappoint me I hand over control to the Lord and know that the Holy Spirit will take over control. It is up to me to continue loving them and praying for them, irrespective of their actions. I know it is not easily done. In times of discouragement I always turn to our Lord Jesus. I will turn to Him more in prayer and the study of His Word. He must have allowed things to happen for my good. The devil often uses discouragement, frustration and confusion to lead us astray. It is therefore important that I must remain strong in faith. I find this strength in Scripture. By putting my trust in Jesus I find a new love for holiness and a new hatred for sin. At the same time there is also a greater love for my fellow believers, for practical righteousness, obedience, and separation from the world. 

Q4. (Nehemiah 13:30-31)

Q. How should you respond when the people you are ministering to disappoint you? How must you treat them

A. I will pray to God to give me the grace and wisdom to handle the situation. I will probably rebuke and counsel them to an appropriate action. 

Q. What must you do to sustain your own faith and spiritual momentum in times of discouragement?

A. I will call upon the Lord God Almighty to give me the grace to bear and to go through the period of discouragement and dwell in His presence and Word for comfort

Prayer for strength, wisdom & discernment and patience.  Confront them with their sin like Nehemiah did.  Show them the way to turn around.

Pray pray pray!  Seek His face.  Be thankful.  Praise Him!!  Join with others in worship.

All of this reminds me of the leadership of our countries.  So hard to grow under a corrupt leader.......

• 2 weeks later...

when people disappoint us we should smile, pray and continue to serve God. They should be treated with dignity and respect. Our faith in our spiritual momentum in times of discouragement can the supplemented by praying to god for help and encouragement. In all this we continue to serve God.

• 2 weeks later...

How should you respond when the people you are ministering to disappoint you? Must not give up but persist in doing what is right in the eyes of God. Be patient.

How must you treat them? Encourage, comfort and urge them to live lives worthy of God, who calls us into his kingdom and glory. “Be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage --- with great patience and careful instructions.”

What must you do to sustain your own faith and spiritual momentum in times of discouragement? Need to be faithful servants. We do our part and leave the results in God’s hands.

Patience must sustain your faith. “Patiently do what God has called you to do, until he calls you home.”

Leaders need to be purified from everything “foreign” (Nehemiah 13:29-31)

• 2 years later...

When I am disappointed with those around me, I can often feel discouraged but of course that is what Satan wants me to feel. Depending on the situation I usually say I am disappointed and say why but then make sure I don’t show any resentment or anger but treat them as I would normally trying to show the love of Jesus, being patient and kind. In privacy then I go to Jesus and sometimes cry and mourn but cling to Him my rock, my fortress, and shelter in the shadow of His wings. To keep me from being discouraged I study Gods word and spend time talking to God. There are so many wonderful promises contained in His word that are both encouraging and strengthening .