JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Clear Direction

It was important for Simon to get a clear command from the Spirit to go with his visitors because otherwise he probably would have not bothered. For Simon these men were unclean and pagans and he didn’t want anything to do with them. When Simon was criticized for going with those guys he gave them an account about what happened while he was praying.

When I obey the Spirit and take action I know that I’ll be criticized for later is have to depend on my faith to carry me through. I hope that I haven’t disobeyed but I probably have when I am faced with criticism for obedience.

• 2 weeks later...

Why was it important for Simon to get a very clear command from the Spirit to go with his visitors?

Simon had been prepared by the Spirit to listen and obey the Spirit’s calling to go with his visitors, even though they were gentiles and strangers and Simon wouldn’t normally go with such people. The leading and clear command from the Holy Spirit led Simon on a journey that begins the evangelisation of Gentiles across the world.

What would he have done if the word weren't so clear?

Not followed the visitors and the evangelisation of Gentiles would not have begun then.

What does he do when criticized for taking this action (Acts 11:2, 12)?

For going into the house of uncircumcised men and ate with them – apparently an unclean action for a Jew.

What kind of faith does it take to obey the Spirit and take an action you know you'll be criticized for later?

We need seek such faith of the friends of the paralytic man that Jesus healed in Luke 5:20-22.

The more conscious we become of God in our lives, the greater the opportunity for His presence and His glory to be reflected from our lives. We have to continually seek Him and practice using our senses (feeling, hearing and seeing in the Spirit) to seek God’s direction in our lives.

Do you disobey when you know you might face criticism for obedience?

It’s a natural thing for us to do, when we are not fully focussed on God.

• 3 months later...

The Spirit was telling him in a vision that three men seek him, by showing him all manner of beasts that inhabit the world.  The Lord says Rise, Peter; kill and eat.  Peter’s reaction is Not so Lord, for I have never eaten anything common or unclean. The Lord God says, What God has cleansed, don’t call common.  If Peter didn’t receive this instruction from the Spirit he wouldn’t have met with the three men that were seeking for him, sent by Cornelius.  He explained and expounds how he saw the vision of all of the beasts of the earth and how God told him to not call anything that God has cleansed common.  It takes a great amount of faith to do something you know you’ll be criticized for later.  I try my best to be obedient to the Lord God always but we’ve all sinned and fall short of the glory of God.

• 1 month later...

Instruction to Testify in Rome (Acts 23:11) And
Don't Hesitate to Go with Them (Acts 10)

LESSON 4: QUESTION 4

Q4. (Acts 10:19-20) Why was it important for Simon to get a very clear command from the Spirit to go with his visitors? According to pastor Ralph, it is a lesson learnt - the importance is in holding fast to what God tells me / us, even if I / we don't understand it. Also we must listen and obey when God is speaking a definite word to direct a disciple's ministry.

What would he have done if the word weren't so clear? He would have disobeyed God by believing in what he thought he knew and was right.

What does he do when criticized for taking this action (Acts 11:2, 12)? Peter tells them about his vision and what God said in it. From
Verse 4 Starting from the beginning, Peter told them the whole story: 5 “I was in the city of Joppa praying, and in a trance I saw a vision. I saw something like a large sheet being let down from heaven by its four corners, and it came down to where I was. 6 I looked into it and saw four-footed animals of the earth, wild beasts, reptiles and birds.  7 Then I heard a voice telling me, ‘Get up, Peter. Kill and eat.’ 8 “I replied, ‘Surely not, Lord! Nothing impure or unclean has ever entered my mouth.’ 9 “The voice spoke from heaven a second time, ‘Do not call anything impure that God has made clean.’
10 This happened three times, and then it was all pulled up to heaven again. 11 “Right then three men who had been sent to me from Caesarea stopped at the house where I was staying. 12 The Spirit told me to have no hesitation about going with them. These six brothers also went with me, and we entered the man’s house. 

What kind of faith does it take to obey the Spirit and take an action you know you'll be criticized for later? Total dependence on God and bold. Without wavering and without fear.

Do you disobey when you know you might face criticism for obedience? I have learnt not to compromise when it comes to the things of the almighty God. And find myself all alone for that reason.

• 3 weeks later...

By following he spirit, Peter lead the evangelism with the Gentile.

When others criticized Peter, he explained to them that it was God's will. An angel had been with them and told them to go get Peter and the spirit told Peter to go with them. This was a confirmation for the both of them. The real question is who do you want to please? Man or God 

• 4 months later...

Q4. (Acts 10:19-20) Why was it important for Simon to get a very clear command from the Spirit to go with his visitors? What would he have done if the word weren't so clear? What does he do when criticized for taking this action (Acts 11:2, 12)? What kind of faith does it take to obey the Spirit and take an action you know you'll be criticized for later? Do you disobey when you know you might face criticism for obedience?

He needed this because he was going against the Jewish laws as they understood them. He needed to know it was God not just for His own conscience but because he would have to explain his actions to a lot of others!!!!! If it hadn't been clear he would have had too many doubts . He is able to refer back to this miraculous guidance which is so strong that it convinces his sceptics that God really is in this??

A strong faith is needed , one that has "counted the cost" but is determined to obey when the guidance is very clear. Certainly there have been times when I have taken the easy way out? However I have grown spiritually when I have stuck to my guns!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Q4. (Acts 10:19-20) Why was it important for Simon to get a very clear command from the Spirit to go with his visitors? What would he have done if the word weren’t so clear?

Peter considered himself to be a law abiding Jew and would have never gone with the gentiles as Jews have no dealings with the gentiles. So the command to go to the gentiles had to be clearly impressed upon Peter’s heart. And the Holy Spirit did just that in order to make Peter know it is from the Lord.

He repeated the vision that he had received and the clear instructions that the Lord gave him.

What kind of faith does it take to obey the Spirit and take an action you know you’ll be criticized for later?

You need a strong faith and trust in the goodness of the Lord who directed you, knowing that ultimately it is Him you are serving.

It is easier to just cave in and disobey. Certain times God as given me the grace to stand firm in spite of criticism and other times I have miserably failed Him.

• 3 weeks later...

Q4. (Acts 10:19-20) Why was it important for Simon to get a very clear command from the Spirit to go with his visitors? 

God knew that then the disciples were only preaching to Jews and were not very much open to Gentiles. Spirit of God had to explicitly provide clarity to go with his visitors so that God’s plan to reach out to gentiles would be initiated strongly.

He wouldn’t have got the picture clear about God’s intention to reach gentiles as well. This would have made him not to go and thereby hinder God’s plan.

He told that Spirit if God compelled Simon to take this action and all other Jews and disciples got a glimpse of the plan of God.

What kind of faith does it take to obey the Spirit and take an action you know you'll be criticized for later?

Faith without doubting is the key to take such bold action. Also hearing from God either a nudge or an impression,  vision or dream enables one to stand strong.

No, asking God for boldness and grace in such situations, I will obey in such situations despite facing criticism for the cause of His kingdom.

• 1 month later...
On 11/28/2017 at 6:09 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q4. (Acts 10:19-20) Why was it important for Simon to get a very clear command from the Spirit to go with his visitors? What would he have done if the word weren’t so clear? What does he do when criticized for taking this action (Acts 11:2, 12)? What kind of faith does it take to obey the Spirit and take an action you know you’ll be criticized for later? Do you disobey when you know you might face criticism for obedience?

It is important for Simon to get a very clear command from the Spirit to go with the visitors because:

• Simon is confused by the dream
  • I think he believes is has significance because it happened three times

Hence, clarification from the Spirit to go with Gentiles, who potentially pose a threat to Simon is important.  

If the word wer not so clear I believe Simon would have procrastinated and not gone with the visitors

When criticised Simon explains that the Spirit told him to go without hesitiation, which provided an explanation to the vision Simon had of eating with the uncircumcised men.

Do not call anything impure that God has made clean - Acts 10:15b

I think it takes a strong faith to obey the Spirit and take an action you know you will be criticized for later, I know I disobey when I know I might face critism for obedience - the lack of action needed in the present feels better than the fear of critism later..

• 1 year later...
On 11/28/2017 at 1:09 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q4. (Acts 10:19-20)

Why was it important for Simon to get a very clear command from the Spirit to go with his visitors? It's because Simon was not accustomed to being in the custom of Gentiles so he needed a sign of substance.  

What would he have done if the word weren’t so clear?

He likely would never have gone with the men had the word from God been so clear and definite.

What does he do when criticized for taking this action (Acts 11:2, 12)? He tells them the whole story about how the Holy Spirit told him that 3 men were coming for him and that he should not hesitate about going with them.

What kind of faith does it take to obey the Spirit and take an action you know you’ll be criticized for later? It's a faithful disciple who has unwavering trust of God's word. If you accept that everything is part of God's plan, you learn to follow instruction despite dissent.

Do you disobey when you know you might face criticism for obedience?  I do what is the right even if the right thing will cause criticism. I never listen to critics; they seek to undermine your credibility and shake your faith in God and yourself.  

• 4 weeks later...

Q4. (Acts 10:19-20)

Why was it important for Simon to get a very clear command from the Spirit to go with his visitors?

It was important for Simon to get a very clear command from the Spirit to go with his visitors because the culture of the day frowned upon the association.

What would he have done if the word weren’t so clear?

If the word weren't so clear he would have lost the opportunity to witness to so mant people.

Peter told his friends about the vision and the instructions that he received from the Hly Spirit that led him to make the decision to go to the uncircumcised.

What kind of faith does it take to obey the Spirit and take an action you know you’ll be criticized for later?

The kind of faith that believes and trust that God will take care of the criticisms and other fallouts.

• 4 months later...
On 11/28/2017 at 2:09 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q4. (Acts 10:19-20) Why was it important for Simon to get a very clear command from the Spirit to go with his visitors? What would he have done if the word weren’t so clear? What does he do when criticized for taking this action (Acts 11:2, 12)? What kind of faith does it take to obey the Spirit and take an action you know you’ll be criticized for later? Do you disobey when you know you might face criticism for obedience?

It was important for Simon to get a very clear command from the Spirit to go with his visitors, otherwise he would not have gone with them because back then it was a case of the "Jews don't mix with the Samaritans". 

Hadn't the word been so clear, Peter would not have gone with his visitors. The Jews literally would have nothing to do with the Gentiles.  they were considered "unclean", and "not a people".  God first had to prepare him by giving him that vision.

When he was criticized for taking this action, Simon recounted for his colleagues the vision he had seen and what the Holy Spirit had said to him and everything that took place at Cornelius' house.  How the Holy Spirit fell on the Gentiles also.

It takes grounded faith to obey the Holy Spirit and take an action you know you will be criticized for later.

I have done that before and I have since come to realize that it is nothing more than pride that caused me to disobey.  I feared that I would be  criticized for being obedient.

• 1 month later...

Because they were gentiles, and he believed salvation was only for the Jews. They belonged to the Roman army, who persecuted followers of Christ. If this was not clearly commanded by the Spirit, Simon would be walking into trouble, probably to his death. 

He would not have gone with them.

When the word does not seem clear we should pray and ask for clarification from Our Father.

Sometimes we think it is clear, and end up in places where we don't need to be, but Father promises (Romam 8:28) to make ALL things work together to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose. 

He tells them that the Holy Spirit told him to go without wondering if it was alright to do so.

Strong faith. The fear of The Lord. The fear that the Spirit will leave you if you don't obey.

I recall a time where I found myself in a very difficult situation, at the time it felt like I was doing the right thing. Through that time I learned how to pray about everything, without creasing, telling Father how I seek His continued guidence in the situation I found myself in, and always asking for clarification, for Him to take me out of it if I am not meant to be there, even if it meant death, but in all things for His Will to be done. I waited for Father to answer me, and He sure did.

It was subtle at first for 20 years I lived in the same property without any problems, then on 2 occasions in 2 months 2 house bricks were thrown through my window, safety and protection was removed from my family home. Then the person I was in the situation with had their car smashed to pieces, I saw this happen in a dream, as it happened. I was discouraged by this person from seeing these events as signs that I was headed down the wrong path, as there were other explanations at the time as to why these things were happening. Then came the severe warning.

Father made me feel what it was like to lose His Spirit, to go back to the state that I was in before I received it. I felt the sting of death in my body, I felt like I was losing my mind, I felt a hardening pain in my heart. There was a blockage in my throat as if someone had their hands around my neck. I knew that if I did not, turn away, leave the situation immediately I would drop down dead just like Ananias and his wife when they lied regarding the selling of their house. (Acts 5) I knew I would be persecuted, verbally and probably physically for leaving, but No pain can compare to the pain of losing Fathers Spirit once you've tasted how good it is. I got out.

I learned so much through this situation, it brought me even closer to Father. Taught me how to pray, to talk to Him about everything, good and bad, He knows it all, we can't hide. To strive to stay on the straight and narrow path, to walk by the Spirit and not gratify the desires of the flesh, and much more.

3 days after leaving this situation, I received a call from a friend who hurt his back, and for a few months found himself confined to a wheelchair. It was placed on my heart to go and pray for him, so I did, and Father healed him immediately, he got up and walked. Praise the Lord Hallelujah.

Love and Blessings to you all. Xx

• 3 months later...

1- Peter like us, had pre conceived ideas which were in the Lord's way of completing His work & offering the Good News to the Gentiles.  These ideas were being brought forward to Distract Peter from considering God's  personal faith work for Peter to obey.  Our flesh, worldly emotions & the devil are used to prevents us from recognizing His purposes before us.  In Acts 10: the Lord used angels, a vision, a clear word, confirmation by those sent to Peter, and instruction to not delay by Perplexing the Vision... likely he would have talked his way out of obedience because of the Jewish laws, and what the Jews would think & say.  On a daily basis, How often do I respond in this fashion Lord? Do I hear because I want to hear You, and with Your faith gift, believe the Holy Spirit's quiet voice, directed personally to me?  Thank You, I believe You desire to work with each one of us Believers, Individually, as our personal Tutor, Teacher, Comforter, Reminder, Truth delivering, that we may have personal intimacy & interact with Almighty God.  Thank You!

2- When confronted by believers with the Jewish traditional conviction as the Standard Ops, Peter delivered the details of events associated with Holy Spirit giving Peter his marching orders. :pointed out the other 6 men who were also present as Peter proceeded to immediately put to action the Words given him to Obey. That kind of Faith comes with experiencing the quiet voice of God & having Seen what transpired following faith Obedience.  He had come to recognize & respond to Holy Spirit's voice Rather than the Masses contrary opinion.  Resulting in Seeing the Work God was completing in the lives of those He called among the heathen gentiles.  Thank you Lord, when we Obey your Word via Holy Spirit, we see & experience Your glorious workmanship in the lives of those around us. Thank You Lord, Your Words I do respond to....

and when I don't, Holy Spirit reminds me, He knew I would give in to men, and Yes it was covered, reconciled for by Jesus blood.  Deny shame, guilt, judgment which the enemy would have me " live in again " and Follow Me in continuing in the Walk of a Righteous person, saved by Grace again. You truly are the God of Love.

1- Peter was about to participate with Holy Spirit in Non Jewish activities: entering & associating with Gentiles. More importantly Peter would be thinking of the Gentiles as Impure or Unclean, much like a leapors were viewed.  He would be disobeying Jewish tradition & would be subject to questioning, critiques from the Jews & Jewish believers. Peter was to join God in His Work & workmanship and therefore God prepared him to be used to deliver the Good News to the Gentiles. While in prayer with the Lord, he was given a vision & explanation as well as the testimony of the three men sent for Peter. Peter was directed by Holy Spirit to Not Hesitate [ for good reason ].

2- I think Peter would have responded like most of us & given himself to follow tradition or respond as the rest of the Jewish Believers & stayed away or avoided the Gentiles.

3- Peter gave testimony of his encounter with God the Holy Spirit & His message to go with these men. As well as the way he was received by Cornelius & his family who were all Embraced by the Holy Spirit just as He did with the Jewish believers. Who was I to think & stand in the God's way of adding to His Kingdom.   The testimony closed the mouths of the Objectors & they Praised God who granted the Gentiles to repentance that leads to eternal life.

4-Faith required to do the above, the kind given Peter by Holy Spirit to believe this message & task was based on God's Authority, Power and Inclusive Love plans.  Having obeyed, Peter saw the Workmanship of God in Cornelius's family, their response was  revealed to them by Holy Spirit. Similar to Jesus response to Peter, That Flesh & blood had not revealed His identity to them,  but that revelation came from God.

5- Yes, I still struggle with fear of man's critical responses & rejections If I Obeyed.  Fear of my expectation not being met.  Fear of looking like a fool...   All the more reason that I be attentive to What He is wanting me to do & Move without hesitation which gives time to talk myself out of obeying God who takes care of the outcomes post obedience. Thankfully He knew I would sin, & opens my ears & receive His amazing gracious loving words, and move on to walking in His righteousness. [ Forgetting the past, and press on to walk in newness of life with God the Holy Spirit. Another personal love experience to feed & grow my faith.

• 1 year later...

Q4. (Acts 10:19-20) Why was it important for Simon to get a very clear command from the Spirit to go with his visitors?

It was important for Peter to get a clear command from the Spirit because this was not the normal thing for Peter to have done.  Everything fitted in and the timing was amazing.  He just knew that he knew God had sent him on this assignment to Cornelius.

Peter does not hesitate but shares with them all that he had experienced prior to him having gone to Cornelius's place.

This was just so amazing the timing and everything, it certainly left no doubt as to what to do.   I can only say like the father did when Jesus asked him if he believed for a miracle for his son.  Help Thou mine unbelief.

I just pray that I would be obedient, come what may.  Please help me Lord Jesus.

• 4 months later...

It was important for Peter to get a very clear command from the Spirit because he thought that as a Jew, he had no relationship with any nation but I think he thought of Jesus' Words when He said "Upon this Rock, I will build my church". He was bound not only to feed the Jews but when Jesus commanded him three times: "Feed my lambs, tend my sheep, feed my sheep", that God has called him to preach the Good news to all the nations. He remembered that God was no respecter of man. Therefore, Peter was bound to be obedient and do the will of God.

I believe he would have enquired of the Lord to give him clear direction. If God speaks and the vision is not clear, there is nothing wrong in asking God to reveal Himself to you so that you carry out the clear mandate and do His will not your own.

He explains to the circumcised that the vision was clear as it did not come to him alone but also to Cornelius whom God has sent Peter to go preach the Good news so that he together with his family can receive the wonderful gift of salvation. God was preparing Peter that the Gospel is not for the selected few but all must hear and believe as it is God will that all men should be saved.

We must have an unshakable faith. The one that says I know the One who has sent me will never leave nor forsake me. Faith that says God will not send me where His grace will not sustain me. We need to have a discerning spirit to always allow God to speak to us and after that act.

If I disobey, it means that I act out of my own will. I always pray and ask God to give me the courage to boldly say what He wants me to convey to His people. I have learnt to say I am not in charge but God is. If one can remember that we are not ours but God's and whatever we do, we do not do it unto men but unto God.

• 3 months later...

Q4. (Acts 10:19-20) Why was it important for Simon to get a very clear command from the Spirit to go with his visitors?
Simon wanted to make sure he was hearing from God, I think he had some doubt when he was being told to eat unclean meat. 

I don’t believe he would have gone. 

He informs the naysayers that The Spirit told him to go. 

It takes some strong unshakable faith.

I have, as I grow I’m learning that it’s only Gods opinion of me that matters and not the worlds.

• 7 months later...
On 11/28/2017 at 1:09 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

To know for sure this is what God wanted him to do.

Waited

Listens

Strong Faith

I think sometimes I do.