JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Pride Corrupts

Waiting on the Lord (Psalm 27:14).
The Subtlety of Pride.

Q4. How can pride corrupt our hearing from God?
Desiring for control keeps us from humble submission to God.

How do we protect ourselves from being deceived by our pride?

1. Don't publicly claim God's guidance unless it is clear.Don't say, "God told me," unless he has really spoken.
2. When you talk about God's guidance, do it with humility.
3. It is God you are trying to promote, not the servant whose ears got cleaned out enough to hear Him.

• 5 months later...

God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble. God hates pride and pride comes before a fall. If we need to hear from God, we need to approach Him, on the basis of His grace. Pride says I can do it all apart from God. But humility says, Lord I am empty, I need You to fill me up. A proud person will not hear from God, but a broken and contrite heart He will not despise. 

When we recognize pride in us, confess before the Lord and seek His forgiveness. Renew our minds by dwelling on the word of God and seek Him with all our hearts.

• 1 month later...

Q4. How can pride corrupt our hearing from God? How do we protect ourselves from being deceived by our pride?

Pride is very subtly contaminating our motives. When we are people centric, we would like to impress by saying “God said so”. It makes congregation to value us more in their eyes to know God has spoken, to take control and drive man made motives instead of God’s. When we do not want to submit to God and when we have wrong motives, we fall into this trap.

We can protect ourselves for falling into pride by walking in humility and submission to God. By waiting on God and His timing for everything in our lives. 

- we must not publicly claim God's guidance unless it is clear.

- we must not say "God told me," unless he has really spoken.

- when we talk about God's guidance, do it with humility. And always promote God above our selfish motives.

• 1 month later...
On 11/28/2017 at 6:18 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q4. How can pride corrupt our hearing from God? How do we protect ourselves from being deceived by our pride?

Pride can corrupt our hearing from God because we:

• become the centre of attention as opposed to messager
  • get caught up in being the hero of the story and not the guide
  • want to be part of the reaction and not he catalyst.

Which all centres from a deep pleasure, satisfaction or achievement of being closely associated with God and the need to be admired.

We can protect ourselves from being deceived by our pride by:

• surendering every aspect and dimension of our lives to god
    • my spirit, soul and body, my heart mind and will
  • Asking the Holy Spirit to resore us in Him, renew us in Him and lead us to God's will.

• 1 year later...
On 11/28/2017 at 1:18 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q4. How can pride corrupt our hearing from God? We may think we're too intelligent and knowledgeable to think that we could be hearing from God. But believe me, if God wants to talk to you, you WILL hear it, pride or not!

How do we protect ourselves from being deceived by our pride? Not sure how to answer this. If you hear God instructing you to do certain things, I should heed it and not boast about it. God is talking to many people, so there's no point in putting on airs.

• 3 weeks later...

How can pride corrupt our hearing from God?

Pride can corrupt our hearing from God when humility is removed from our heart and the focus is turned to us and not on God.

We protect ourselves from being deceived by our pride by remaining humble and worshiping God for His faithfulness in using His servant.

• 2 months later...
On 11/28/2017 at 11:48 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

We tend to believe we know what to do and this attitude hinders our ability to hear what God has to say. It may prove detrimental and sometimes dangerous to pridefully belive we know better. Mostly we don't realise we are being proud by overriding God's still small voice. Or we may think that it is God speaking when we don't hv thst close relationship that will confirm differently.

I think to protect ourselves we may need to go back to these ponderings of relevant verses and relive and revive them over and over again till it becomes second nature. Look for more examples of these instances 

• 2 months later...
On 11/28/2017 at 2:18 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Pride can corrupt our hearing from God when our motive in announcing that we have heard from Him is to impressed others.

We can protect ourselves from being deceived by our pride by never claiming God's guidance unless it is clear, by never saying "God said" unless He has, and by being humble when we share with others how He is guiding us. 

• 4 weeks later...

How can pride corrupt our hearing from God?

Pride can stop us from listening to sound advice, as pride developes a self desiring "know it all" attitude. If we know it why then would we need to listen to what anyone else has to say.

Pride desires to glorify self, not ABBA.

By submitting to Fathers will daily.

By praying continuously about everything throughout the day, and being patient in waiting for Fathers reply.

By realising that we can not do anything without the Father.

We can ask the Holy Spirit to take away anything in us that is not meant to be there, anything that is hindering us from hearing Father voice.

Humble ourselves, empty ourselves of self daily, read scripture, "is that really something Father would have me do or say?"

Love and Blessings to you all. Xx

• 7 months later...

I've told everyone on this blogsite that I haven't heard, yet, the voice of God, but desperately desire to do so. In this regard, I can't be proud as there's nothing to be proud of. I'm ashamed at my spiritual immaturity.

IN other things, I can be proud. Even, at times, spiritual things. Pride is the biggest downfall in the bible, as far as I can tell. it's asserting my will over His -- that's how I see it. Of course, I don't know his specific will yet, so what I'm doing is praying very carefully about many issues relating to what I think may be my calling. I'm asking for open and shut doors. I'm fleecing Him. 

I want to be His servant. I want to be a better Christian -- I want my character to develop to the point where I recognize lingering pride.

Mostly, I want to hear His voice.

• 1 year later...

Pride can corrupt our hearing from God in that it will mingle up and mix up what we really heard.  We can start out by really having heard and then by proudly saying God told me, we are easily placed on a pedestal by others and then start to just say God revealed this or that and then it is actually not the Lord but pride, just to have that acclaim from others. 

Don't publicly claim God's guidance unless it is clear.
Don't say, "God told me," unless he has really spoken.
When you talk about God's guidance, do it with humility. 

• 5 months later...

Pride can corrupt our hearing from God if we think we know all. We need to always depend on God as He is the Master of our lives. There are people who believe that they are know-it-all as they think they have answers to everything. Only God knows everything and we need to always approach the Throne of Grace with a humble heart and the Word of says "God will exalt all who humble themselves".

Walk in humility all the time and always enquire of God if you are not sure of what to do. Depend on Him in everything that you need to do. Always pray and wait for God to respond to your request. 

• 3 weeks later...

Pride is a very bad thing. A person can start to think to highly of themself and start coming up with their own philosophy of thinking and become very blind and their thinking can become distorted.

Truly having and keeping a humble heart and realizing that any knowledge or things we have all came from God. We didn't do it on our own but God is involved. Any good wisdom a person has came from The Lord. 

• 2 months later...

It can cause us to be boastful, giving all the glory to us and not to God. Plus pride leads to sin.

How do we protect ourselves from being deceived by our pride?

Making sure that God gets the glory and that we don’t go about thinking or saying things went this way or that because we decided to do it that way. 

• 5 months later...

Q.4 Pride can cause us to think we are better , just because God is speaking things to us and can misuse the ability to manipulate people 

Learn to be humble , be sure what you heard us indeed God speaking , as voice of the enemy  is always misleading  to think you are hearing Gos

• 1 month later...

Pride is something we can not have in following God, Pride keeps us from knowing God and hearing God.

We keep ourselves in his word, pray and worship.