JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Confirming vs. Testing

Q1. ((Judges 6:36-38; Psalm 95:7-10) Does Gideon ask for a sign because of his unbelief?

He has already believed that God has spoken to him. Now he only wants a confirmation that he has heard the Lord rightly. It was not unbelief but for reassurance.

What is the difference between Gideon’s seeking confirmation, and “testing God” in a way that displeases God?

Testing God is what an unbelieving heart demands of God for their own selfish reasons and this displeases God. In Hebrews we read, without faith it is impossible to please God, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is the rewarder of them that seek Him diligently. Faith is the lingua franca of heaven. If a person demands from God without faith in his heart, then it is displeasing to God.

Does God mind if we ask for confirmation? When might God be upset with us for asking for confirmation?

God does not mind if we ask for confirmation. He is the best parent and as a parent He knows that we are only learning and in the process we might fall and hence He keeps on encouraging us to keep learning. But He might become upset with us if we ask in disbelief for confirmation. 

• 1 month later...

Q1. ((Judges 6:36-38; Psalm 95:7-10) Does Gideon ask for a sign because of his unbelief? What is the difference between Gideon's seeking confirmation, and "testing God" in a way that displeases God? Does God mind if we ask for confirmation? When might God be upset with us for asking for confirmation?

Gideon Is asking for confirmation only to know that God is in the process. When He understands God is with him, he is able to move in faith to do God’s assignment. Because of this he is mentioned as one of the heroes of faith. He is not asking because of unbelief, rather to believe in Him by seeking confirmation.

Gideon was seeking confirmation to believe and go forward in his assignment from the Lord. God was not upset with Gideon’s request as He knew it was to build his faith. While if it is tried to manipulate or test things with God without belief, God is not at all pleased in it. It is only self seeking faith and not to accomplish God’s assignment in our lives.

God will be upset with us asking for confirmation when we do not seek Him and His direction in the process. When Israelites murmured and complained to God in the wilderness despite the Lord doing mighty miracles, this did not build their faith and many perished without entering the rest.

• 1 month later...
On 11/28/2017 at 6:19 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q1. ((Judges 6:36-38; Psalm 95:7-10) Does Gideon ask for a sign because of his unbelief? What is the difference between Gideon’s seeking confirmation, and “testing God” in a way that displeases God? Does God mind if we ask for confirmation? When might God be upset with us for asking for confirmation?

Gideon asks God for a sign because he trying to anchor his faith.  Gideon has belief because he is already destroyed the alter of Baal, the rest of the idols and rallyed troops.

The difference between Gideon seeking confirmation and tesing God is Gideon has faith and has put this faith into action. In this case Gideon is unsure of the as to whether he has heard God's voice and so is asking God to establish his faith - so he has a firm and permanent basis to go forth and fulfil God's commands.  Whereas testing of God is primarily made by peope of unbelief who want signs and wonders and still may not believe.

I think if we are truly descerning God's voice God does not mind us aksing in faith for confirmation as long as the heart is not desiring from a prideful, testing or demanding place, in these cases I believe God may be upset in us asking for confirmation.

• 1 year later...
On 11/28/2017 at 1:19 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q1. ((Judges 6:36-38; Psalm 95:7-10) Does Gideon ask for a sign because of his unbelief? What is the difference between Gideon’s seeking confirmation, and “testing God” in a way that displeases God? Does God mind if we ask for confirmation? When might God be upset with us for asking for confirmation?

Does Gideon ask for a sign because of his unbelief?

Gideon is asking for a sign to solidify his faith in the word he had received.

What is the difference between Gideon’s seeking confirmation, and “testing God” in a way that displeases God?

The difference between Gideon’s seeking confirmation, and “testing God” in a way that displeases God is Gideon's motive.  Gideon is asking for God to do a minor miracle to help Gideon anchor his full faith in the Lord.  He wants to believe that it is a word from God as he leads God's people into a war. His was not a test of God's abilities. 

Does God mind if we ask for confirmation?

I believe that it is okay for us to ask God for confirmation when we receive a word.  As we mature and know His voice the less we would seek confirmation.  God understands we are yet infants in the things of God.

When might God be upset with us for asking for confirmation?

God might be upset with us asking for confirmation, when it is born out of unbelief demanding God to prove himself.

• 5 months later...

No, he just wants to make sure that he is doing the right thing.

What is the difference between Gideon's seeking confirmation, and "testing God" in a way that displeases God?

Father knows what is in Gideon's heart and mind, He knows whether or not Gideon is testing Him, He knows that Gideon believes, trusts, and fears Him, and wants to do right by Him to stop the suffering of Isreal.

No

When there is a lack of trust, doubt, that He is able to do great things.

Love and Blessings to you all. Xx

• 3 months later...

5 - Q1. ((Judges 6:36-38; Psalm 95:7-10) Does Gideon ask for a sign because of his unbelief? What is the difference between Gideon’s seeking confirmation, and “testing God” in a way that displeases God? Does God mind if we ask for confirmation? When might God be upset with us for asking for confirmation?

The Israelites [ Including Gideon ] because of their idolatrous worship of God, had been for 7 years subject to being ravaged by the bordering nations. The Jews prayed for God to intervene but likely as we would, wondered if God heard & would miraculously deliver them as in the past.  Gideon, thought of himself as the lowest on the community totem pole. He questioned God's Angel & what He said "The LORD is with you, O mighty man of valor.”   What?  Who am I?  He struggled to believe this could be.  Would God really deliver their Enemies into his hand? How could that happen?  When? How ?   If this wasn't God, directing, then trouble lay ahead within his community / family.   He believed the narratives of God's faithful care in the Past, but Today, ???  I believe Most of us / me,  want to believe but Doubt in similar ways, and want confirmation /s. 

Does God mind if we ask for confirmation?  Based on His written word, No. He knows us completely including our tendency to doubt, question His desire to bless us in light of our / history of Unbelief.  As His children, we need a lot of help. 

When might God be upset with us for asking for confirmation?   When after His repeated outreaches, 1- I persist in doubting His loving will for me & those He loves & Refuse to obey what I am confident He is trying to get me to move with Him.  2- If I were to try to manipulate Him into doing what I want so that He will Prove He is God , Before I put myself out. 

• 3 months later...

Gideon asks for a sign because he sensed the significance and importance of his mission and wanted to be certain he had heard God correctly. I see nothing wrong with this. It isn't faithlessness, though commentators suggest this.

The difference between seeking confirmation and testing God can be seen in one's motivation. If the undergirding motive for fleecing God is to see what He would do, or to cajole an answer out of Him, then it's a test -- if the motive for fleecing is to confirm a important message or mission, then the motive is pure.

People who do not believe in contemporary miracles would find fleecing to be a moot issue: People who believe, albeit tentatively, that miracles still happen today may at some point in life consider fleecing God to make certain of His directive. 

-- As an aside, I'm a bit curious about whether it is  possible to "lesser-fleece," that is, not asking for a miraculous confirmation but something less demanding of god.  For example, if I "told" God I wanted X, Y and Z to occur as a confirmation that I heard His command to go, say, on the mission field, this would not be fleecing because  X Y and Z are within the realm of natural possibility. But the likelihood, in real life, of having these three things happen is remote. And the need for these three things to happen prior to leaving is great.

So is this a lesser sort of fleecing?

--

• 1 year later...

Q1. ((Judges 6:36-38; Psalm 95:7-10)

What is the difference between Gideon's seeking confirmation, and "testing God" in a way that displeases God?

I just think he was overawed by the fact that his clan was chosen, and on top of everyone, he, Gideon. He did not feel worthy to accomplish such a task.  Because of this he wanted reassurance or sought confirmation that it was not just wishful thinking from his part.  

I think it is not right to demand something from God for ones own desires. Gideon was requesting confirmation where many people's livelihood was, one can say, going to be put on hold (was at stake).  It was a huge responsibility.

In this instance God even reassured Gideon with more than what he requested.  

• 5 months later...

No, Gideon was asking for a sign to strengthen his faith. He wanted to ascertain if he had heard God speak to him as he considered himself and his tribe as been the smallest in the tribe of Manasseh. So he wanted to be sure that God had really called him to use his hands save the Israelites from the Midianites.

Seeking God's confirmation is when you are not sure of having heard God's instructions well and want Him to speak to you through other means. When you test God is when you doubt that He has already called you to do His work. You do not have faith that that which God has called you to do will eventually happened.

God does not mind when we ask for confirmation because He sees the heart. God knows when we ask for confirmation because of selfish ambitions. He knew that Gideon was ready to carry out the task which He had called him to do because when God trimmed the number of men that were to go with him, he did not question God.

When we ask God to prove that indeed He has called us to perform the task He has called us to do and when we want assurance that He will be with us throughout the whole assignment. 

• 3 weeks later...

No Gideon did not ask for sign because of unbelief. Gideon wants further confirmation to be on the right track. Gideon ask God for confirmation to make sure he was correct in his hearing. A person who has already seen God's power but keep demanding God to prove himself is putting God to the test. God doesn't mind if we ask for confirmation in the right way and allow God to choose the way he confirms to us. God might get upset if we keep asking and asking when he has already confirm and proven his power already.

• 2 months later...

Q1. ((Judges 6:36-38; Psalm 95:7-10) Does Gideon ask for a sign because of his unbelief?
No, Gideon asked to make sure he was hearing from God.

Gideon sealing confirmation came from a place of faith. Testing God comes from unbelief, like God if you do this for me than I’ll know you are real. That’s not believing in God that’s using him when you see fit.
Does God mind if we ask for confirmation?

Not if we ask because we aren’t sure it’s Him speaking. 

When your coming from a place of disbelief in Him and not a place of faith. 

• 5 months later...

Q.1 No it was not because of Unbelief,  he just needed confirmation  of what he heard is what God is saying to him

Seeking information  is when you want to be sure what you heard is really what is required of you , but putting God to test is more of Unbelief 

I don't think God mind asking for confirmation,  if you did not  heard correctly 

God might be upset  if asking for confirmation  is more of putting God to test to see what will happen 

• 1 month later...
On 11/28/2017 at 1:19 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Not because of his unbelief.

He is not testing God out of unbelief but out reassurance.

No, as long as we are just confirming.

When we do it for a sign out of unbelief,