JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Greater is He

Q4. (1 John 4:4) Why does John need to remind us that we have "overcome" the world? Is the potential power of the Holy Spirit within you less than the power in the Apostle Paul. What might be the factors that seem to limit our sense of power?

1. John like most teacher wanted to make sure that we know that we have the full power of the trinity dwelling in us. And the proof is the evident of the Holy Spirit

2. The power of the Holy Spirit within me is the same as in the Apostle Paul.

3. A factors that might limit our sense of power is not understanding how to exercise the gifts or power within us.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Why does John need to remind us that we have "overcome" the world?

To remind us of the strength and power that is within us, the gift from YHWH, the Holy spirit. To remind us that we too have the same authority that Jesus had when He was on the earth. That the power within us is much, much greater than the ruler of this earth, he has already been defeated.

For us today, as we see the world plunging into darkness, he reminds us of our hope in Christ Jesus, that even though He was in the world, and lived here amongst man, He was not of the world, relying on the material things to get Him by, His only desire was to teach Father will, give hope, save lives, and return back to Abba, who provided everything for Him, as He did for the hebrews in the wilderness, and so shall He provide for us, His children also.

For there is coming a time when the world will order us to worship, worldly treasures, their gods, the prince of this world, just to buy food, to live, to survive. But Father has promised to take care of us, just like He takes care of the birds of the air. And there is hope in the promise of a life of eternity, with Our Heavenly Father, even after earthly death.

Is the potential power of the Holy Spirit within you less than the power in the Apostle Paul. What might be the factors that seem to limit our sense of power?

The power is no less. It is the same Holy Spirit.

Factors that seem to limit our sense of power?

Sin, guilt, unforgiveness of self, feeling unworthy, which are all weapons that the enemy will use to stop us from reaching our full potential in Christ Jesus.

Not having the boldness to approach people, or the faith that we can actually do all these things, healing and deliverance.

Not studying this area enough, from being caught up with people who claim that these things were for them in that time, not in ours.

Not being around like minded bible believing, Holy Spirit filled, led people, like our dear Dr Ralph, who are able to sharpen and encourage us.

Love and Blessings to you all. Xx

• 2 months later...

Personally i am realizing that i lacked proper teaching regarding the Holy Spirit even though i had experienced Him working in my life. Then i realized i have not been exercising faith in believing what the Word says about Him and our relationship with and to Him. 

He cannot be less in me than He was in Paul. 

I am so excited to be on this journey of learning to know Him better and know the power of Him flowing through me to others. 

• 4 months later...

Q4. Why does Jihn need to remind us we overcome the world? 

Because of Anti Christ whose come to decieve people, believers needed to know no matter what Satan 's schemes are, since the have Holy Spirit in them all the evil has been conquered.

No the potential power in us is not less than power in Paul 

What factors that might limit our sense of power? 

Lack of knowledge, ignorance, fear, doubt

• 2 months later...

Why does John need to remind us that we have “overcome” the world? Is the potential power of the Holy Spirit within you less than the power in the Apostle Paul. What might be the factors that seem to limit our sense of power?

I'm not at all certain that the HS is equally available to all people. Is it not the case that as we need Him, we receive Him, that He is present to us in greater measure when the need is greater?

I pray and hope that when I am faced with a situation in which I need God's power that the HS will be "activated" to give the power to conquer that temptation or evil. I believe that HS will be with me when I need Him. Right now, I'm sitting in a clean, safe office. I do not feel His presence, though I'm sure He is with me. I have had the sense, lately, that the church will be drawing upon his power as the political and cultural situation in the US disintegrates further.  

I think the greatest or most potent factor that limits my perception of the power of the HS in me is the this relatively peaceful moment I'm experiencing. Again, when persecuted or harassed, the power of the HS will be made manifest; or, perhaps, when I need to do an assignment for God which is beyond my abilities.  

When I need the HS, He will be there.

• 1 year later...

Q4. Ephesians 6v12. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the Heavenly Realms. John also tells us that the Holy Spirit within us is greater than all demons within the world. John reminds us that within us the power we possess through the Holy Spirit is greater than all other powers. The potential power We have today is just the same as Paul had. Maybe we are unaware of the power we have. Sin in our lives may interfere with the power. Satan tells us lies about ourselves which so often we believe. I will certainly be praying for guidance and help in using the power of the Holy Spirit in my life.