JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Spirit Power Brakes

• 5 weeks later...

The Holy Spirit releases us from bondage to the flesh so that we do not carry out the sinful desires of the flesh. This however, requires  the believer to be active rather than passive.The believer is to actively seek the companionship of the Spirit walking by the Spirit, allowing oneself to be led by the Spirit and conforming to the will of the Spirit.

Previously the Mosianic law had been our restraint from letting the flesh get out of control( Gal.3:24 ) but now the restraint is the presence of the Holy Spirit himself within us to whom we are called to yield as our guide. He is present within us to keep us from doing what the old sinful nature wants and points us to serve the true God in love and faithfulness.

As we walk in the Spirit and as we yield to His leading, we go through a gradual process of transformation, guiding, teaching, directing us. During this process He gives us power to break the hold the flesh has on us, thus enabling us to overcome the power of the sinful nature.

How does the Spirit enable us to resist the temptations of the flesh?

By reminding us that we are the temple of the Most High. That we are spiritual beings, and He that is in us is greater, and much more important, than he that is in the world.

How does He restrain us?

The Holy Spirit comes with many gifts, such as self-control, Love, Joy, Peace, Kindness, Gentleness, tolerence, faithfulness, and decernment, in knowing what is right and what is wrong. We have also been given the Fear of The Lord, that should also help us to resist.

How does he enable us to break the hold the flesh has had over us?

By showing us the areas in our our lives where the flesh still has controll, so that we can pray on them accordingly, asking for deliverance. The Spirit gives us the power and the strength to overcome.

It took some time to break the hold the flesh had over a certain area of my life, not by my strength nor might could I have done it. I admited to my weaknesses, and prayed, spoke to Father continuously, for His will to be done in my life, whatever it took, even if it meant death. For Father to take away all that is in me that should not be there. The Spirit was there working with me every step of the way, although this was not seen until I had overcome, then as I looked back I saw His amazing work, and faithfulness in delivering me from the lake of fire.

He will place Fathers will and happiness to the front of our minds, it is the ignorance, state, condition of our flesh, at the time of temptation, and the desires of it, that pushes Fathers will out of the way, causing us to sin.

Love and Blessings to you all.. xx

• 9 months later...

How does the Spirit enable us to resist the temptations of the flesh? How does He restrain us? How does he enable us to break the hold the flesh has had over us?

started to answer this question twice, then stopped because it was harder than it seemed. I still am not sure how to answer it.

When one is a young Christian, or perhaps even a younger person, the temptations faced are more visceral and obvious. (Sex. Mind-bending experiences. The cultish pursuit of the novel and exciting. Money. Power. Status.)  But when age, defeat, realism and perhaps maturity sets in, temptations become more subtle and interior. (Loss of purpose. Hopelessness. Nagging anger which morphs into bitterness, etc.)  The Holy Spirit works differently at these phases of life. At first, it's more cut-and-dry (having sex outside of marriage is a pretty clear temptation, for example), but as a person ages, the nuances of temptation become more confusing, and the role of the Holy Spirit increasingly is to clarify and strengthen (anger can be justified, bitterness rational ...).

I'm in the older group. Most of the things that tempted me when young have little power over me now. What I battle now is subtle, insidious and much more potent. One of my daily reading is Oswald Chambers. I'm always struck by how, as a young man, he already reached the phase of life of interior considerations. He writes statements like "working from the standpoint of the Father," with which I concur, but in practical outworking, I can't do it. Oneness with God, which used to seem easy or at least achievable, now seems impossible. I'm failing at these temptations.

The Holy Spirit works through my mind, guiding me to readings and thoughts which slowly shed light on some of the more nuanced and subtle temptations I face. I can't say, as you state in your question, that the Holy Spirit has "broken the hold" but at least He's loosened the hold, a bit, at times. 

x

• 1 year later...

Q3. As we allow ourselves to be led by the Spirit, He will gives us the power to deny the desires of the flesh. Our old sinful nature will rear its ugly self from time to time, but we can resist with the help and power of the Spirit. We must be alert and be aware when He is guiding us away from ‘things’ which are not of God. We must play our part as well by listening, getting to recognise His voice and prompting. We must also be active in avoiding entertaining our temptations in any way. We must not delay in walking away and asking the Holy Spirit for His help. The more we get to know, accept, and enjoy the presence of the Holy Spirit we will experience His power in all areas of our lives. The sinful nature will fade away, but there may be occasional temptations because our sinful nature is still in us to some extent.