JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Gift of Knowledge

Q1. Is it legitimate to use Jesus as our example in the use of spiritual gifts?

I believe it is legitimate to use Jesus as our example in the use of spiritual gifts.

Or was he so different than we are that we can't pattern our ministry after his example?

Jesus was God in the flesh. We have a high priest that identify with us, Hebrew 4:15. While on earth, He demonstrated examples and patterns for us to follow. He models also, spiritual gifts to mankind while on earth.

Where do you see the gift of knowledge in the Old Testament? In the New Testament?

In the Old Testament, 2 Kings 5, this gift was manifested in the life of Elisha, as God would give him supernatural knowledge of various things. In the New Testament the gift of knowledge is noted in John 4: 17-18  Jesus ministry when he encounter the woman at the well.

• 10 months later...

Yes, in the OT we have prophets who were send by God and also like Isaiah told about coming of Jesus.

We see knowledge from King Solomon and how he lost it. Some Kings were good knowing God's law but became bad when they ignored it. In the New Testament, we see it also through Jesus who with the Great Commission confirmed to his disciples that he had all authority from God.

• 4 weeks later...

Is it legitimate to use Jesus as our example in the use of spiritual gifts?
Or was he so different than we are that we can't pattern our ministry after his example?

Yes it is legitimate, because He is the reason why we have them. He sent the Holy Spirit to give us the power to carry on His work, and to do greater works, in His Name. All ministries are to be patterned on the examples of Jesus.

Where do you see the gift of knowledge in the Old Testament?

2 Samuel 12 - Nathan knew all what David did to Uriah. The knowledge of what David did was given to Nathan from the Lord.

In the New Testament?

Acts 5 - when Ananias sold his house and deceitfully kept some of the money. The Holy Spirit gave Peter knowledge of this fact.

Love and Blessings to you all.. xx

Yes, it is legitimate to use Jesus as our example in the use of Spiritual gifts. Jesus is the master teacher, and the Bible teaches us that we have been blessed with spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ( Eph.1 : 3 )and also that we are created in Christ unto good works ( Eph.2:6). There is no better example to follow than Jesus himself.  By faith and obedience i believe we can surely pattern our ministry after His example. Jesus himself said " Truly, truly , i say to you, whoever believes in me will also do the works that i do; and greater works than these he will do because i am going to the Father ( John 14: 12) Jesus is the absolute best example to follow.

An example word of knowledge in the old testament can be found in 1 Samuel 10 : 22, 23.

Although Samuel had already anointed Saul to be King over Israel, when it came time to reveal him as king, Saul hid"..among the stuff". When the people could not find him, they inquired of the Lord instead of sending people to look for him. The Lord replied, " Behold, he hid himsrlf among the stuff"( haystack). And the run and fetched him thence. The people knew exactly where Saul was. When they looked where God told them to look, they found Saul.

Another example can be read from 2 Kings 6: 8-12. The word of knowledge was used to warn a king of the enemy's plan of destruction. Every time an enemy would set up an ambush against Israel, the prophet of God would tell Isreal their plans.  The King of Syria met with his servant( 2 Kings 6:11) and said " we must have a traitor among us who is giving us away". But the servants replied that it was a prophet of God (Elisha ) who would tell the King of Israel all that he spone in his bedchamber. God gave the prophet Elisha a supernatural revelation of the enemy's plans to harm Israel, something he could not have known in the natural.

An example in the New testament :

The story of Ananias and Sapphira. The couple lied about their money from the sale of their property to the church. The entire transaction was revealed to Peter through a word of Knowledge and both husband and wife died the same day.(Acts 5 : 1-5)

• 6 months later...

Q1. Is it legitimate to use Jesus as our example in use of spiritual gifts? Yes it is

Was He so different than we are  that we can't pattern our ministry after His examples? No He was not

Examples of gifts of knowledge in Old Testament. 

1 Samuel 25

Story of Abigail who showed wisdom by helping her husband who acted foolishly by denying David's men help and saved them from being killed by David

In the New Testament In the 4 Gospels through Jesus  teachings using parables

• 2 months later...

I have thought about the answer to this question for a few days, and still am unsure what to write.

The consensus, above, is that we can have the same spiritual gifts as Jesus -- "to use Jesus as an example." I guess I'm not as willing to separate Jesus' essence (God AND man) from His gifts. Since these are spiritual gifts they must be associated with the "godness" of Jesus, not his humanity.  We do not share Jesus' divine nature. We may taste it, but always imperfectly. To strive to have His spiritual gifts, with the expectation that His gifts are ours to have, seems futile. No human has Jesus' nature therefore no human has his gifts.

Yet, we are to be "like Christ." In what way?

Pastor Ralph, I'm confused.

• 1 year later...

Q1.Yes it is legitimate to use Jesus as our example in the use of spiritual gifts. The same Spirit that gave Jesus the gifts He had is exactly the same Spirit who gives us our gifts. Jesus should always be our example for everything in life. Jesus was sinless and perfect. We will never reach that perfection in this world but we can do our best to emulate Jesus by the power of the Holy Spirit. 
In the Old Testament in Genesis 40 we find Joseph wrongly imprisoned by Pharaoh, because of his wife’s lies about Joseph. However God is with Joseph and he is given responsibility and he is getting on well. The kings cupbearer and his baker are imprisoned with Joseph and he uses his gift of knowledge to interpret their dreams for them. 
In the New Testament in Luke 21 we see Jesus watching as people put their gifts into the temple treasury. The rich are putting in their gifts and then a poor widow comes and puts in a small coin. Jesus tells His disciples using His gift of knowledge “this poor widow has put in more than all the others. All these people gave their gifts out of their wealth; but she out of her poverty put in all she had to live on.” V1-4.