JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Prayer and Sensitivity

Q1. (Mark 1:33-39) What pattern do you see emerging in Jesus' prayer life? Why do you think he spends Quiet Time with the Father before the day begins? How does this prepare him for his ministry? Why does Jesus minster through the power of the Spirit instead of in his own power?

Jesus when at Peter’s house healed his mother-in-law and many more , and healed them of all kinds of sickness and disease. The news spread and many more we’re seeking Jesus next day. This was very successful ministry. But Jesus had gone early morning to pray at a solitary place. After hearing from His Father, He gets direction to preach in other places immediately. In man’s eyes it was beginning of a successful ministry and it was better to continue and be famous. But for Jesus, it was all about obeying Father above any success or ministry. Ministry means obeying and doing His work at His time and in the place that He directs. Before Jesus ministered to multitudes, He spent time in prayer with His Father, and this gave Him direction and depended on Holy Spirit to do Father’s will. For Jesus being Son of God, He could have done what He wanted to do. But He was obedient to His Father in every way and only did what He saw Father doing. Always depended on the anointing of the aholy Spirit to do His Father’s will. This is a pattern for all who are in His kingdom and doing His ministry.

• 7 months later...

Q1. (Mark 1:33-39) What pattern do you see emerging in Jesus' prayer life?

Jesus would rise early in the morning before day, and to find a solitary place to pray. In other words..

Why do you think he spends Quiet Time with the Father before the day begins?

Quiet time was spent with the Father before the day began, to listen to His Father and to demonstrate to his disciples what to  emulate.

How does this prepare him for his ministry?

Jesus uses his time in prayer with his Father to know what he is doing; afterward, so he could minister in the Power of the Holy Spirit.

Why does Jesus minster through the power of the Spirit instead of in his own power?

Jesus said that “the Son can do nothing by himself; he can do only what he sees his father doing, because whatever the Father does the Son also does” (John 5:19)

• 10 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Jesus often withdrew to solitary places to spend quite time with the Father, mostly praying.

He spends quite time alone with the Father so that He can hear and receive from the Father what he must do each day.

Hearing from the Father prepares Him for what the Father wants Him to do, what to expect, what to say, how to go about it etc. etc.

Jesus came in human form and could not do anything in His own human power so He had to depend on the Holy Spirit for everything in order to accomplish His mission on earth.

• 1 month later...

What pattern do you see emerging in Jesus' prayer life?

Prayer, work, rest.

Why do you think he spends Quiet Time with the Father before the day begins?

Because it is quieter, less distractions. To draw near to Father, for strength and power. To get instruction from Father, His daily bread. To know what Father wants Him to do for that day, to do Fathers Will.

How does this prepare him for his ministry?

Father guides His steps, directs Him to where He needs to be. Gives Him strength and power, through the Holy Spirit to heal, minister and to cast out demons.

Why does Jesus minster through the power of the Spirit instead of in his own power?

Because Jesus is now one of us, flesh. He has no power apart from what is given to Him from the Spirt. Because all power on earth comes from the Spirit, without the Spirit we have, can do, nothing.

Love and Blessings to you all. Xx

• 5 months later...

Q1. Mark 1:33-39

What pattern do you see emerging in Jesus prayer life? 

He will go in the early hours of the morning to pray. 

Why do you think He spent Quiet time with the father in the early hours before the day begins? 

In the early morning its there is stillness and is able to hear, hence he said He does what His father told Him to do

How does this prepare Him for His ministry? 

Spending time with His father prepares Him to be able go perfom His mission He came on earth for, of healing the sick setting captive free and preach the gospel

• 2 months later...

What pattern do you see emerging in Jesus’ prayer life? Why do you think he spends Quiet Time with the Father before the day begins? How does this prepare him for his ministry?

I skimmed some of the responses above and was struck by how many people believe Jesus prayed in solitude, or near solitude, as an example to us. I believe that Jesus prayed as a man, that His human needs -- not divine needs -- included communion and prayer with His father. As a man, He escaped the crowds to re-compose Himself. As a man, He turned to His father for advice and leading, to know how to conduct His ministry. As a man He awoke early to commune with His father.

If there is an example for us, here, it must be in the importance of frequent, sincere and uninterrupted time alone with God in prayer. To start the day in prayer is to receive strength and instruction as to how to live and what to do that day.  God's instruction. I start every day with, alone, in prayer and study. Mentally, it centres me. Though I do not hear divine instructions for my day, I pray He will speak to me more clearly in the near future. I desperately need to hear His voice. 

Because He's a man? And as a man, His own power was somehow lessened/negated/ignored while on earth. Clearly, He gains strength and wisdom from His father; just as clearly, He ministers through the Holy Spirit. There are all sorts of trinitarian issues here I cannot resolve, as well as issues regarding the dual nature of Christ. I'm overwhelmed by his humanity, not his divinity, in the passages you gave, Pastor Ralph. I see Him as a tired, over-worked, needing-of-direction man who used the power of the HS, not His own equal power, to minister to the ill and needy and preach. 

• 1 year later...

Q1. In Jesus’s earthly life we see a pattern of work and prayer. Prayer in the presence of His disciples and prayer alone in lonely places at unsocial hours. This was done by Jesus to ensure He had private time in prayer with His Father. It was important to Jesus to have this quiet time with His Father before the start of a day to be sure that He was doing exactly what His Father wanted Him to do. I’m sure Jesus needed the encouragement of His Father from day to day as He grappled in this sinful world so far from the perfection and purity of Heaven. While on earth Jesus was truly man as well as truly God. He needed to minister through the Holy Spirit just as we human beings have to.