JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Righteousness by Faith

On 8/28/2019 at 1:12 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q4. (Philippians 3:9; Genesis 15:6; Habakkuk 2:4) Abraham had been a moon-worshipper. According to Genesis 15:6, how does he come into right relationship with the God who created all? How can a person today become righteous by faith? What is involved in really “trusting” Christ?

1. Because Abraham believed God by faith and because of that the Lord counted it to him as righteousness.

2. The same way, trusting God by faith to save you. Believing He took your sin and the sin of the whole world on Him when he shed his blood and died in your place and paid in full for your sin.  When we believe and receive His wonderful Salvation, He counts us as Righteous.  All who receive Him are The Righteousness of God in Christ Jesus. 

3.  A full surrender to Christ of your whole life and believing trusting Him in every situation.

Abram believed and obeyed God 's call to migrate to a different land that God would show him.

Each time he obeyed God's command and God considered him righteous because of his faith n obedience .Abraham 's heart was with God .

Our justification for righteousness comes by Grace through Faith in Christ 's redemptive work at the Cross ,When we ,believers confessed and repented of  our sins (ROM 10:9), before Lord Jesus as our Advocate  , we are saved from God 's wrath and punishment for our sins.(IJohn 1:9)

Really trusting God for our salvation involves sanctification and walking daily in faith and obedience to God 's will .

We need to spend time communing and having fellowship with God ,obeying His call to fulfil the Great Commission and love our neighbors.

Believe ,trust and obey to fulfil God 's  will and purpose in our lives .

Prov 3:5-6

On 8/28/2019 at 12:12 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q4. (Philippians 3:9; Genesis 15:6; Habakkuk 2:4) Abraham had been a moon-worshipper. According to Genesis 15:6, how does he come into right relationship with the God who created all? How can a person today become righteous by faith? What is involved in really “trusting” Christ?

Abraham came into a right relationship with God because he believed God and obeyed him. He put his full trust in the Lord.

A person today can become righteous by putting his full trust and dependence on the Lord Jesus Christ.

Trusting Christ involves putting your total trust and confidence and well being in the Lord. 

Abraham, listened to God even though he did not know God personally,  He believed and trusted God and followed God's directions without hesitation.  Abraham believed God and received righteousness (being in right standing with God)

We are credited with the same righteousness when we put our faith in Christ.  

Trusting Christ is living a life of surrender.  Giving our all to Christ and allowing the Holy Spirit to direct our footsteps, words, deeds, etc. 

Abraham just trusted and believed God by faith ... obeying what He wants him to do in the land he was asked to go.

If we confess with our mouth that Jesus is Our Lord and Savior, and believe with our heart that God has raised Jesus from the dead, we will be saved. We can only rely upon the righteousness of Christ and not our own strength. 

Matt. 7:21Not everyone who says to Me, Lord, Lord, will enter the kingdom of heaven; but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven”.

Obeying God`s will and follow His footsteps .... Have a close sincere relationship with Him by studying His word, praying and seeking Him in whatever we do to honor Him with all our heart, mind and soul.

I am confused, no evidence was shown in the lesson aboutAbraham as a moon worshipper. yet I know that his father worshipped other Gods (Jos 24:2). The context of the two scriptures does nothing for the question. but to answer the question; Abraham believe God and trusted that God would keep his promises.

A person can be righteous by faith by believing the Gospel and baptizing in the name of the Godhead and obeying the statutes of God as written in his word.

Q4. (Philippians 3:9; Genesis 15:6; Habakkuk 2:4) Abraham had been a moon-worshiper. According to Genesis 15:6, how does he come into right relationship with the God who created all? How can a person today become righteous by faith? What is involved in really "trusting" Christ?

1. By having faith in God which is believing and obeying God.

2. Surrender, believe, trust, and obey. Romans 10:9 “That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.”

3. Having faith in him, looking at the end result as positive, and not on the situation.

Q.4  (Philippians 3:9;Genesis 15:6;Habakkuk 2:4)

Abraham had been a moon worshipper. According to Genesis 15:6, how does he come into right relationship with the God who created all?

A. Faith trust and belief. It took Abraham a while I believe to come to that point. 

How can a person today become righteous by faith?

A. Believing in Jesus trusting him.

What is involved in really "trusting" Christ?

A. Relationship intimacy

This is another tough area, at least for me, as all of us have such a long history of hidinig our inner-most secrets and weaknesses, thinking somehow God won't find out about them. We must learn to NOT put God in a box with pre-conceived ideas putting limitations on His Abilities. And that kind of learning can only come from studying our Bible to know all those Omni-Qualities about God. We see His Tremendous Graciousness and Patience with His family of Jews and those in conflict with those Jews, ie. Caananites. It does us good to study those tough concepts like Atonement, Propitiation and Redemption, especially their meaning in the Jewish world of the first century. God Bless all those who do study His Word.

Whenever I see questions about this subject, my mind goes to the following warning from Jesus, 

For I say to you, that unless your righteousneess exceeds the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven. Matt 5:20 

We absolutely MUST maintain our humility in the picture of righteousness when we think of ourselves, remembering...

But we are all like an unclean thing, And all our righteousnesses are like filthy rags; We all fade as a leaf, And our iniquities, like the wind, Have taken us away. Isa 64:6

Before we can hope to get God's Blessing of Righteousness in the same picture with ourselves, I'm convinced, we MUST grow up and realize we have absolute NOTHING on our own and rely completely on Jesus' Blood covering our sins.

But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the Blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin.  1 John 1:7   

After we accomplish this task above which isn't easy for some of us (from personal experience), then we can move on to...
Trust in the Lord with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding; Prov 3:5

• 1 month later...

God had just promised Abram what seemed impossible - that in his old age he would father a nation.   Yet this very impossibility is possible with God.   Only when Abraham was able to put disbelief aside, and believe in God's ability to do anything, i.e. when be developed a trusting faith, could he come into a right relationship with God.

Like Abraham, one has to believe in the impossible, made possible in God.   If we study all the references in the Bible to righteousness by faith, we have to accept the astounding fact that Christ, in dying, washed away our sins.   Because He did this, if we believe in Him, we can move into a relationship of righteousness  with God, but we must first put aside all disbelief and trust in God's promises, which will never fail.   Only our lack of faith can cause failure.

Trusting Christ means many things:    One must believe in His promises;  follow His commands (no matter how impossible they may seem);  listen for His voice;  comb His word for His will and put all our faith in Him that all He does is for our good and that His plan is the only one.   It means giving up our independence to some extent and following His prompting to discover His way and not ours.

• 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Philippians 3:9; Genesis 15:6; Habakkuk 2:4) Abraham had been a moon-worshipper. According to Genesis 15:6, how does he come into right relationship with the God who created all? How can a person today become righteous by faith? What is involved in really "trusting" Christ?

Abraham believed God. Firstly he trusted Him and followed Him ? when God told him to leave his land and his kindred. Abraham did so. God promised his seed to be countless and Abraham believed Him. This absolute believing God is counted to him as righteousness. 

We too need to trust God implicitly. Nothing that we do will make us be righteous. 

This righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God." (Romans 3:22-23). 

• 1 year later...

Abraham comes into the right relationship with God by believing enough to trust what God showed him. We can become righteous by faith by doing the same. We can read and study the Bible, we can pray, and we can trust God’s plan for us. We must believe even when we can’t see. Having that strong sense of faith and belief and trust helps have a right relationship with God. I believe everything I’ve already mentioned is what is involved in really “trusting” Christ.

• 1 month later...

This is fascinating -- a moon worshipper morphs into a godly man. He became godly because God revealed aspects of Himself to Abraham. The little bit that Abraham knew of God was compelling enough to believe in Him, to really trust God, and to do what God tells him to do ... most of the time.

God gave Abraham the promise that he would be the father of a nation which obviously meant he'd have to have a child as the basis of that nation. In spite of his circumstances and logic, most of the time Abraham believed this promise of God. I like the fact that God overlooks or forgives Abrahams momentary lapses in faith. Gives me hope.

At times, trusting God means being irrational. It means NOT looking at circumstances. It means NOT listening to the people around you who love and want the best for you. Sometimes, trusting God means walking into burning fires because you are absolutely convinced that this is God's will. 

Abraham trusted God like this. It was irrational for an old, wandering, stateless man to believe he would be the founder of a new nation. His circumstances weren't amenable ... he wasn't poor, but he didn't have a place of his own. No country was named after him. No land was his to defend. He mostly didn't listen to those who criticized him for being a believer in God -- he did listen to Sarah, his wife, and then slept with her servant -- big mistake! The current conflict in israel is the fruit of that coupling. 

What I identify with in Abraham is his wavering glitches in faith.

What I love about God is his willingness to use Abraham in spite of these faith-glitches.