JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Righteousness by Faith

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/28/2019 at 10:12 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q4. (Philippians 3:9; Genesis 15:6; Habakkuk 2:4) Abraham had been a moon-worshipper. According to Genesis 15:6, how does he come into right relationship with the God who created all? How can a person today become righteous by faith? What is involved in really “trusting” Christ?

A. After the Lord came to him and gave him a Word of promise, Abraham believed in (trusted in, relied on, remained steadfast to the Lord and He counted it to Him as righteousness). I loved learning some years ago, that Abraham lived in grace.. 400 years (I believe)  before the Law was given to Moses at Mount Sinai! He and God had a friendship, a personal relationship...God called Abraham His friend. As the years went by with the promises delayed, Abraham believed God was faithful and would fulfill His word of promise and obeyed God even to be willing to sacrifice his beloved son Isaac when he was tested in that, believing God would provide a lamb for the sacrifice...would raise Isaac from the dead.

B. In the same way that Abraham did....We  respond with a heartfelt "YES" when introduced to Jesus, accepting with gratitude His sacrifice on the cross for "whosoever will" come. (John 3:16) (The same Holy Spirit drew Abraham to God, as He does with us to Jesus God)

C. For me, trusting means surrender to His Lordship and control, every morning. It means remembering that He is my creator and the lover of my soul, and knows what is best for me...Including trials and testing to grow my faith and trust in Him. It means He is first in my life above all others and all else. It means when we conflict, I die to myself, my will, my wishes, because He is my Lord and Savior. It means that because I am His and He is mine, my response is to worship Him alone. It means the promises He has made to me will be fulfilled in His time...one in 1979 and another in 1990....I trust Him, even through tears and anguish at times as we wait. He cannot lie! He is faithful and I trust Him.

Q4. (Philippians 3:9; Genesis 15:6; Habakkuk 2:4) Abraham had been a moon-worshipper. According to Genesis 15:6, how does he come into right relationship with the God who created all?

He Surrendered his will unto God’s will – He Trusted God’s wisdom/will/plan for his life – and Obeyed the call of the Lord to walk

How can a person today become righteous by faith?

Just as Abram did – Surrender – Trust – and Obey

What is involved in really "trusting" Christ?

Faith in and of Him

Proverbs 3:5-7

Q4. (Philippians 3:9; Genesis 15:6; Habakkuk 2:4)

Q. Abraham had been a moon-worshipper. According to Genesis 15:6, how does he come into right relationship with the God who created all?

A. By faith in God; he believed and obeyed God to leave the known for unknown country as directed by God

Q. How can a person today become righteous by faith? What is involved in really "trusting" Christ?

A. By faith in God -believing in his heart that Christ died and paid for his sin and that God has now forgiven and declared him 'not guilty'

Q4. (Philippians 3:9; Genesis 15:6; Habakkuk 2:4) Abraham had been a moon-worshipper. According to Genesis 15:6, how does he come into right relationship with the God who created all? How can a person today become righteous by faith? What is involved in really “trusting” Christ? 

Abraham chose to believe by faith in God that God would come through for Him. For a new testament believer it is a lot different experience however,  as it says in Romans you must confess with your mouth and believe in your heart that Jesus is Lord. 

According  to Genesis 15:6 Abraham comes into a right relationship  with God because he believed in the Lord. 

A person today can become righteous through faith by believing in Jesus who died for us and paid the price for our sins. As we believe in our hearts  and confess with our  mouths that Jesus is Lord we are saved and become righteous  through our faith.

What really is involved in trusting Christ is our surrender to Him to cleanse us from our sin and humility that we need Him in our lives to rule and reign in our life. Our obedience to Christ and His commands and surrendering our lives totally  in His hands means trusting Him.

Abraham demonstrated faith by going through with the task of offering his son Isaac as a sacrifice to God.  Abraham did not waver while doing this task.  God saw that Abraham believed and trusted Him.  One needs to daily after accepting the Lord as their Savior must be continually daily live close to God.  It is no hit and miss with our relationship with God, we must study his word, have our devotions, and personal time of worship.  These activities help one to become righteous by faith. this keeps a believer staying in the position of trusting God.

Romans 12:3 says that God gives us a measure of faith.  So faith to believe in God is a gift from Him.  God is sovereign and He gave Abraham a measure of faith and Abraham believed.  God had given Abraham and all CREATION, but since Abraham, we have the prophets, Biblical history, Jesus, the Word, the Holy Spirit, Saints' testimony...we have so much more to believe in the God in Whom Abraham believed.  Our belief is not mental ascent, but a surrendered trust in God that grows as we submit all to Him.  Abraham submitted all to his Creator and God blessed him with greater faith that would demonstrate itself in obedience, even to the point of sacrificing the son of promise.  His faith was simple, uncomplicated, yet profound.  The issue is: Can God be trusted or not?  I have trusted Him for the last 58 years and He has never failed, NEVER.  I have, but He hasn't.  Same God as Abraham's, upon Whom my life is built.  God imputs His righteousness into me and then He continually works on my life so my words, actions, and attitudes line up with the righteousness I have in Him.  It will be finalized when I get to heaven.

Trusting Christ:  Because of Who Jesus is and because of what Jesus has done, I fix my eyes on Jesus, the Author and Finisher of my faith, faith given to me by the Father and my trust is in Him alone for my salvation and for my life so that by the power of the Holy Spirit I live submitted to Christ's Lordship.  There are times I fail to submit and I thank Him for His fresh cleansing but trusting Him means I have fallen back into His eternal arms, never having to fear death or hell, but being assured of His presence in me now and forever.

According to Genesis 15:6, Abraham believed in the LORD and the LORD accounted it to him for righteousness. That is the requirement for us all - BELIEVE what God has done - He sent Jesus Christ, His only begotten Son, to die for us - to shed His blood on a cross for our salvation - He rose again after 3 days and now sits at the right hand of the Father...ever living to make intercession for us. It's an overwhelming thing to consider, if we really break it down. But let's not stop here - there's so much more - let's go for everything He has for us! Really trusting Christ begins with first believing in His sacrifice, then believing every Word that proceeds from His mouth and searching with all your heart for understanding, amongst other things.

Pray - talk to the Lord. Read the Word. Fellowship with God's family often - these are the things that will keep us sharp and continuing to trust Christ - the work is finished - He's done it all.

Abraham had been a moon-worshiper. According to Genesis 15:6, how does he come into right relationship with the God who created all?

In the eyes of God if He declares you are righteous then you are righteous. Even though Abraham was a moon -worshiper, he obeyed God’s call and put his faith in action. All the while he could have been one under the righteousness of the law and worshiping idols but when God spoke he believed enough through his faith and that put him at the right standing with Yahweh. As it says in Hebrew 11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarded of those who diligently seek Him.

(1)By receiving the free gift of Salvation through Christ that God has given us. (2)Understanding the righteousness that comes through faith in what Jesus has done for us. (3)By walking in the spirit and not be under the yoke of obedience of law. (4)Knowing that there is one person who is righteous (Jesus Christ) who came for the unrighteous (the world).  

It involves (1) believing against logic and common sense what Jesus did for us. (2)Trusting in Him and relying on Him. (3) Confidently walking with him at all times. (4) Having faith in the One who is faithful. Corinthian 1:9 God is faithful through whom we were called into fellowship with His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

Q4. (Philippians 3:9; Genesis 15:6; Habakkuk 2:4) 
Abraham had been a moon-worshipper. 
According to Genesis 15:6, how does he come into right relationship with the God who created all? 

Abraham believed in the Lord and was justified – it is as simple as that. He believed God – that’s it. Later we see that this is a genuine faith, shown by his trust in God in the offering of Isaac. His faith brought him into a right relationship with God, and we notice works is not even mentioned, this is because works has nothing to do with it.
Justification is an act of God by which He declares righteous all who believe on Him. Meaning we become righteous by faith, and this righteousness is based solely on the work of our Saviour Jesus Christ on the Cross. He died as a substitute for sinners, paying the debt of all our sins - present past and future sins. The important thing to note here is that justification has nothing to do with keeping the law. It is entirely on the principle of faith. Since no good works are involved there is no reason for us to boast. It is all by the grace of God and to His glory. Left to ourselves we are spiritually dead. Jesus Christ changes us from a dead sinner to being spiritually alive. He breathes new life into us, giving us a new heart and He gives us a love for God which we never had before. 

Q4. (Philippians 3:9; Genesis 15:6; Habakkuk 2:4) Abraham had been a moon-worshipper. According to Genesis 15:6, how does he come into right relationship with the God who created all? How can a person today become righteous by faith? What is involved in really "trusting" Christ?

1. Abraham is a moon-worshipper whom God has called and who has believed enough to obey. God counts this faith as righteousness, or right-standing before him.
  2. Righteousness by faith considers a person righteous because God has declared it so and, as Judge, considers that person righteous (that is, having a right standing before Him). Here's how it works. God agrees with our confession of sins that we are guilty and that there must be a penalty for sin. Once the penalty has been paid then we are free.  That penalty has been paid by Jesus Christ on the cross. Thus, God declares the penalty paid in full and that we are righteous, that is, in a right standing with God once more.  The core of the Christian faith is that we believe Jesus died for our sins on the cross and was raised from the dead for our salvation.
  3. Though Christ has died for the sins of the whole world (John 1:29; 3:15-17; 1 Timothy 2:4, 6; 4:10; 1 John 2:22; 4:14), that salvation takes effect only for those who put their trust in him. Faith confirms what God has done and activates this salvation for oneself.  He is no long under a yoke of obedience to the law, but is saved by faith and walks by the Spirit.

Abraham must have known that there was more than just the moon to worship. He saw the creation that was all around him and knew there was more than just the moon to worship. So when God spoke to him it made sense. A person has to study and believe what he is reading and studying and then ask God for forgiveness. We should do what he tells us to do.

Abraham simply believed God, and because of that alone God declared him a righteous man. And just as it was for Abraham, so it is for anyone today who believes in Jesus, as it is written: 
"- And therefore "it was accounted to him for righteousness."
- Now it was not written for his sake alone that it was imputed to him,
- but also for us. It shall be imputed to us who believe in Him who raised up Jesus our Lord from the dead,
- who was delivered up because of our offenses, and was raised because of our justification". [Rom 4:22 - 25]

I think that the basic thing involved in really trusting in Jesus is taking His Words as true; and applying ones heart to OBEY Him no matter what. This obedience is 'powered' by His Holy Spirit at work in us who have believed.
So we see in all that obedience does NOT produce righteousness; but rather righteousness(of God) does produce obedience.

Q4. (Philippians 3:9; Genesis 15:6; Habakkuk 2:4) Abraham had been a moon-worshipper. According to Genesis 15:6, how does he come into right relationship with the God who created all?

1 By faith, the scripture says, “Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.” Romans 4:3

2. How can a person today become righteous by faith?

9 …. confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. 10  For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. Romans 10:9-10 (NKJV)

3. What is involved in really "trusting" Christ? 

It involves, obedient and following Jesus Christ's example.  It includes having a close relationship with Him by studying His word, praying and let your lifestyle show to the world that Jesus is Lord of your life.

Q4. (Philippians 3:9; Genesis 15:6; Habakkuk 2:4) Abraham had been a moon-worshipper. According to Genesis 15:6, how does he come into right relationship with the God who created all? How can a person today become righteous by faith? What is involved in really "trusting" Christ?

By believing in the Lord. Believed from the Hebrew verb aman ("to confirm, affirm"), an "amen" to God's promise in verse 5. God confirms it as He reckoned it to him as righteousness. Romans 8:16 says, "The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God’s children."

The same way: by trusting in, relying on, and clinging to Christ, and His righteousness.

When we realize that we are all sinners, separated from God because of our sin. Christ died for our sin and everyone else's for all time. So we believe Romans 10:9, "that if you confess with our mouth that Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. and  we rely upon the righteousness of Christ and not our own. Hebrews 11:1 Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.  

it was his belief in the  Lord ,not his actions that made him right with God .we must trust  God to have a right relationship with Him.Our works will not make us right with God,we must have inner confidence .Knowing when we pray or talk to God we believe God will give us the right answer.  

(Philippians 3:9; Genesis 15:6; Habakkuk 2:4) Abraham had been a moon-worshipper. According to Genesis 15:6, how does he come into right relationship with the God who created all?

Abraham came into right relationship with God because of his faith.

How can a person today become righteous by faith? What is involved in really “trusting” Christ?

First, "we must confess with our mouth that Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved". Stay humble and believe in God.

Self-improvement, discipline, or religious effort can make us right with God. Righteousness comes only from God. We are made righteous when we receive right standing with God by trusting in Christ. He exchanges our sin and shortcomings for his complete righteousness. 

Although Abram had been demonstrating his faith through his actions, it was his belief in the Lord, not his actions, that made Abram right with God. We, too, can should have a right relationship with God by trusting him. Our outward actions—church attendance, prayer, good deeds—will not by themselves make us right with God. A right relationship is based on faith—the heartfelt inner confidence that God is who he says he is and does what he says he will do.

It is helpful to us all Christians who are living through difficult times without seeing signs of hope. Christians must trust that God is directing all things according to his purposes regardless of the what surrounds us.

1. Abraham believed the promises God told him and God credited it to him; long before the Messiah ever came. Abraham had a deep abiding faith in what God told him. He knew that God was true to His word. He trusted God enough to leave where he was and travel to a strange place. 

2. A person can become righteous when they accept what Jesus has done for them. 

3. People have to believe that Jesus died for their sins and they have to confess it with their mouth. Then, they will be saved and become righteous; because of what Jesus did on the cross. They have to accept that this is the only way into heaven and be humble enough to take the free gift offered to them. 

Abraham came into a proper relationship with God when he demonstrated his faith in Him by obeying when God told him to go to the land He said He would show him.

A person can become righteous by faith, provided his faith is in the fact that Jesus died for our sins and gave us an “admit one” to the Promised Land. Belief in one’s heart that all these things took place for us and it also requires a vocal confession. If you do not confess the name of Jesus to others, Jesus will not confess your name to the Father who lives in Heaven.

The thing about trusting Christ is, we need to love Him, keeping in mind that God judges by looking into the heart of man and not just by what people do.  but the LORD looketh on the heart. 1 Samuel 16:7 

Although He looks at the heart of man to see whether we are for real or not, we are also expected to do His will Not everyone who says to Me, Lord, Lord, will enter the kingdom of heaven; but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven. Matt. 7:21

You can find God’s will by searching His words in the Bible and also through prayer and letting God personally tell you would He would have you do. Doing God’s will in itself should come from the heart and not looked upon as a burden.