JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Take Up Your Cross

Q3. (Acts 20:24) Our life is valuable to God, of course, and we are to value it. However, what problems result from valuing our life for its own sake? What does it mean to "take up his cross daily and follow me" (Luke 9:23-25)? What keeps us from doing that? What does it mean when Paul says, "I have been crucified with Christ" (Galatians 2:20)? Can we follow Christ, if we are actually trying to hang on to our own life?

• 2 months later...

Q3. (Acts 20:24) Our life is valuable to God, of course, and we are to value it. However, what problems result from valuing our life for its own sake? What does it mean to "take up his cross daily and follow me" (Luke 9:23-25)? What keeps us from doing that? What does it mean when Paul says, "I have been crucified with Christ" (Galatians 2:20)? Can we follow Christ, if we are actually trying to hang on to our own life?

We end up unable to serve others and the Lord because we are too focused on ourselves. As the Lord said we will lose our life when we hold onto it. It means to lose your life for His sake and follow Him completely. Business of life and the distractions of life. It means we have been buried with Christ and our sins in the grave. No we have to be willing to give up our own life and give it up to Him.

As long as my desires, my will, my life plan, my comfort, my pleasure come first, then I cannot really be Jesus' disciple -- I can only fool myself and go through the motions of a religion.

Luke 9:23-25 teaches us about total surrender of our lives to Christ in Humility.  Without surrender we can't function as a real disciple; we only play at it.

Worldly things and people precious to us, fear of persecutions and rejection keeps us from taking up our cross daily and follow Jesus.

If you have been crucified dead, you don't resist any longer! There's a new life force in you now, many times stronger than your own -- Christ's life.  The focus is on the word "I" which is self .  It is only when I is crucified and dies that Christ can live His life in us.    

Q3. (Acts 20:24) Our life is valuable to God, of course, and we are to value it. However, what problems result from valuing our life for its own sake? 

JOY - Jesus first. Others second. Yourself last. JOY - Jesus Overshadows You

Putting the Lord first is obscured – we abandoned the love we had at first.
Instead of our lives shining so that our love walk demonstrating God’s desires when creating us and blessing us to walk in the newness of life our lives demonstrate the ought/that which Christ had against the Seven Churches mentioned in Revelations.  

In essence the power of a Christlike Witness/Testimony can be adversely affected internally and externally.  

What does it mean to "take up his cross daily and follow me" (Luke 9:23-25)?

Jesus didn’t place an editorial behind “take up his cross daily and follow me” nor did He provide an exhaustive list of things to be denied, (i.e. addictive behaviors, continuing/perpetual negative processing of emotions, habitual practicing of the six things the Lord hates, seven that are detestable - Proverbs 6:16-19, Selfishness/Self-Centeredness, etc…). Jesus simply declared in order to follow Him; let he/she deny him/herself. Jesus knew that SELF was behind every opposition against humble submission and reverential server unto the Lord’s call. Once that victory is gained, all other victories will be won also. 

Since I am a child of God I can't just live as I want, I've been bought with a price, 1st Corinthians 6:20 - therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.

As a child of God, I can't live as I want to live, I should adhere to the Spirit, He's leading. 

The 'crucified life' must be seen as an ongoing process. Paul declared, "I die daily" (1st  Corinthians 15:31).  Counting the cost, because I said yes, because I said I do, I must be reminded that as a Believer I am to "take up [my] cross and follow [Jesus]" (Luke 9:23).   

That if any one desires to be a follower, (disciple of Christ) they must turn from their selfish desires.  This follower is to take up your cross, they are to willingly live moment by moment, daily the cost of living out the Christ like life in its purity, being willing to risk all of our relationships, friends, and acquaintances for the purpose of the Gospel of Christ.  They are to follow Him by living as He lived, adhering to the Will of the Father.  The flesh must die that the Spirit may live.  We must be willing for the flesh to die so that we may live with Christ.

Being a disciple of Christ comes with a cost, if the individual chooses to do so their lives here is of service unto God and people, not so much about status.  Seeking to save their live, to build their life socially conveys pride and other things that are not of God, but as one serves God the eternal rewards are greater. 

The teaching on discipleship is self-denial, dedication and service. (Not do much self-denial but more so denial of Self = our sinful nature / flesh; take up your cross = surrendering / dedicating our life and following Him = requires us to live as He lived His life {walking in the Will of the Father).

Matthew 16:24 - Then Jesus said to His disciples, If anyone desires to be My disciple, let him deny himself [disregard, lose sight of, and forget himself and his own interests] and take up his cross and follow Me [ [1] cleave steadfastly to Me, conform wholly to My example in living and, if need be, in dying, also].

What keeps us from doing that?

Self-The Greatest Enemy (Carnal Nature) [Galatians 5:17; Romans 7:18, 8:5; Philippians 3:19]

The Beatitude Walk – The Surrendered Walk – The Walk of Submission unto Christ: Before a person can have, he/she must give away; before a person can be full, he/she must be empty; before a person can live, he/she must die; and before a person can have the victory, he/she must surrender.

What does it mean when Paul says, "I have been crucified with Christ" (Galatians 2:20)?

In context of Galatians 2:20 as this verse relates to the Law, (Ceremonial, Moral, Civil), Christ’ death on the cross has showed me that there is no hope of salvation by the law; I am therefore as truly dead to all expectation of justification by the law. By Grace through faith in Him I live.

Galatians 2:20 - “I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.

I live walking in like submission to the call given by The Father as Christ did.

Can we follow Christ, if we are actually trying to hang on to our own life?

If we are trying to hang onto a life that doesn’t align with The Father’s will – NO!

Ambassadorial assignment – Being appointed as an Ambassador in the natural and/or the Spirit – the Ambassador should strive to represent the Appointor!  

Q3. (Acts 20:24) Our life is valuable to God, of course, and we are to value it. However, what problems result from valuing our life for its own sake?
When we live for ourselves we live selfishly. We think and behave contrary to God's will and refuse to be willing participants in his plan. We make ourselves the centre of our universe and think about life in terms of our own happiness, well-being, and prestige.

What does it mean to "take up his cross daily and follow me" (Luke 9:23-25)? What keeps us from doing that? 
To take up the cross and follow Jesus is to deny yourself and surrender your will to him. When you decide to do God's will whatever the cost—whether the path he wants you to travel is the one you wanted or not—then you have denied yourself and taken up the cross. But it isn't easy. We have our own hopes, dreams, and plans. It's in our nature. It's hard letting go of your own wants and desires—sometimes it can feel impossible. And it's especially confusing if God asks you to walk away from a plan or dream that you think would benefit other people.

Our uninformed hopes and dreams, our selfish desires, our well-meaning but poorly-timed intentions, and our limited understanding—those are the things that make it hard to deny ourselves and live for God's will

What does it mean when Paul says, "I have been crucified with Christ" (Galatians 2:20)? 
Paul means that his sinful nature was taken away with Jesus' sacrifice. And when his sinful nature was taken away he was filled with the Spirit instead. He's accepted Christ's commission with every fibre of his being. He has given up on his own desires and no longer lives according to plans he makes for himself. His life is now exclusively a vessel for God's power and voice.

We can't be effective followers of Christ if we try to hang on to our own lives. The words themselves highlight the contradiction—'follow'  and 'hang on' are direct opposites. Christ takes us where we need to go. He may require us to fight injustices—or swallow them. He may need us to spend money, or save it. He may need us to speak up, or bide our time. He knows what the bigger picture is and he can see into people's hearts. If we try to live our own lives—even if we try to live good lives—we wouldn't be nearly as effective. Only God knows what the right time is, who the right people are, and what the right words are. 

Trying to follow Christ while hanging onto our own lives is like accepting tickets to a magnificent concert but expecting the orchestra to come to our doorstep.

On 8/28/2019 at 11:06 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

1. I think that is the stuff of narcissism....too much inward looking and self focus, trying to get needs met...the opposite of what Christ followers are called to do, to focus outward so that we can be used to help meet the needs of others.....and like Paul who was intent on spreading the message of the Gospel to as many as possible. (I'm not advocating self neglect, but rather a surrendered life to Christ to be free to follow where ever and whenever He leads.)

2. I believe it means my life surrendered to Christ, my will submitted to His will and to follow His steps through life which at times is the opposite of what I may have in mind and want to do, then I have a choice to make when that happens, to choose to take up His cross and follow Him.

3. We are  born into sin...with a free will and with a fallen, self centered nature, naturally wanting our own desires and to go our own way.

4. It means to me that as a Christ follower, I died with Him and have been raised with Him in newness of life. I'm a new creation, symbolized in baptism. I died with Him under the water, and He raised me to a new life, reborn with His Spirit residing in me.

5. If I TRULY follow Christ my life is no longer my own, recognizing I have been bought with a price, His precious blood.....that's where "crucifixion" comes in, choosing His will and way rather than my own because I value and honor Him, more than my own. 

(Acts 20:24): The problems that result from valuing our life for its own sake is we will lose it. Lose what? we will miss out on eternity with Jesus and eternal life if we hold on to our own dear life.

Luke 9:23-25 To take up his cross daily and follow Jesus to total and complete surrender to Jesus Christ and obey His commands and  His voice daily  and not do what we want to It is allowing Jesus to daily lead us and guide and follow Him and his ways and not our will. 

What keeps us from taking up our cross and follow Him daily is lack of our complete surrender to Jesus ,lack of obedience to Him, wanting to gratify the desires of our flesh and our will.

Galatians 2:20 what Paul means when he says He is crucified with Christ is, just as the Lord Jesus obeyed the will of His Father,upto his death on the cross by crucifixion, Paul has surrendered his life in humility to Jesus and crucified his desires, dreams will ,etc and allowed the Lord to rule and reign and do whatever He pleases to do with him. Paul has chosen to take up his cross and follow Christ in the right way obeying the Lord rather than pleasing men or valuing his own life.

The problems result from valuing our life for our own sake would be missing opportunity to spread the gospel and the works of the ministry, by our action and deeds.

It means to deny oneself through discipline and self-control. We " take up his cross daily and follow me" by loving and caring for others, by sacrificing through giving, helping and ministering to those in need..

Fear of stigma, persecution, weak in the faith, wanting to fit in with the world

Being crucified with Christ means: that Jesus Christ died for man, He bore the punishment for our sin and now because of our faith, He counts it as we died in Christ, the Christian identifies with His death, and have already been punished for our sin in the death of Christ. The scripture tells us, we are, “crucified with Christ” God now credits the believer as having already died- as having died with Christ. Romans 6:3-5 Paul is saying He no longer lives, but it’s Christ that lives in Him. Paul’s life simple means to be not his own, because  he has totally surrender to Christ.

No. we are  ambassador, it mean we  are representing someone(God) else and not our self.

Q3. (Acts 20:24)

Q. Our life is valuable to God, of course, and we are to value it. However, what problems result from valuing our life for its own sake?

A. It becomes a problem if  we occupy our lives on only things  that benefit us at expense of service to God and humanity (that is loving ourselves only instead of loving God  first with all our hearts.... and second, loving our neighbours as our selves.

Q. What does it mean to "take up his cross daily and follow me" (Luke 9:23-25)?

A. To be ready to go through trials and challenges in serving the Lord no matter how this hurts even at up to the extend of loosing our lives.

Q. What keeps us from doing that?

A. The the devil and the love of the flesh and every thing that glitters.

Q. What does it mean when Paul says, "I have been crucified with Christ" (Galatians 2:20)?

A. Means that I have surrendered my life to to serve the Lord and do only His bidding and no longer live according to my former sinful life that has been nailed to the cross.

Q. Can we follow Christ, if we are actually trying to hang on to our own life?

A. NO

If we value our lives for its own sake we will be an inward person and never going out and doing things that need to be done like evangelizing for God. I think that the meaning to “take us his cross daily and follow me” means that we should be studying the scriptures and then going out and trying to bring people to Jesus. There isn’t anything that is keeping me from doing that. The meaning of “I have been crucified with Christ” means that we have turned our lives over to Jesus and that we will follow Him. No we cannot follow Christ if we are actually trying to hang on our own lives.

Our life is valuable to God, of course, and we are to value it. 
However, what problems result from valuing our life for its own sake? 
What does it mean to "take up His cross daily and follow Me" (Luke 9:23-25)? 

I feel God created me and I’m His servant; He owns me and can do with me what He wants. It is only by His great mercy and grace that I’m alive today. My main goal should be to obey and serve my Heavenly Father. As a sinner saved by grace I deserve nothing but everlasting hell. Yet, 1 Peter 1:3 reads: ”Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In His great mercy He has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead.” This is the great Lord I serve. God in His love sent His Son to die for me that I might have everlasting life. I was bought at a price (1 Cor 6:19-20), and on becoming a Christian the Holy Spirit came to live in me; so I no longer own my body. To take up His cross daily and follow Me means daily putting aside our selfish desires and acknowledging His Lordship in every area of my life, and that I belong to Him and should live to serve His purposes. What keeps us from doing this? Our selfish desires. Our love of money, success, recognition, power, and pleasure. We think only of ourselves and what we can get. Our priorities need to be sorted out; we need to focus on the task God has given us. I have been crucified with Christ means God no longer sees me as a sinner. My sins died with Him on the cross and I’m no longer condemned (Col 2:13-15). It is no longer I that live, but Christ who lives in me. I live in continual dependence on Christ by yielding to Him, and by allowing Christ to live His life in me. No. There has to be complete surrender if we truly want to follow Christ. 

1.     Our life is valuable to God, of course, and we are to value it. However, what problems result from valuing our life for its own sake?

Jesus was very clear when He said that if you save your life, you will lose it. Given that, even if at the last minute you finally decided Christ really was more important than life as you’re looking into the face of death, it would make you a much less efficient witness while you were alive.  

2.     What does it mean to "take up his cross daily and follow me" (Luke 9:23-25)?

To find out what God’s will for you is and doing it, regardless of the cost. It is different for different people.

3.     What keeps us from doing that?

The fear of short-term consequences, for one. The cares of the world could also cause interference. An unmarried person is concerned about pleasing God where for a married person their spouse (1 Corinthians 7:34 & 34).   

4.     What does it mean when Paul says, "I have been crucified with Christ" (Galatians 2:20)?

It is a poetically elaborate way of saying that the Spirit of Christ lives within him and has replaced the spirit he once followed.  

5.     Can we follow Christ, if we are actually trying to hang on to our own life?

I think this would depend on circumstances. I don’t believe God wants us to give up without a fight if we are, say, caught up in a fast moving flooded area and trying to survive but as far as denying Christ just to keep from being killed, you are going to lose that life where it counts the most, even if you do survive the moment.

On 8/28/2019 at 2:06 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

I Q3. (Acts 20:24) Our life is valuable to God, of course, and we are to value it. However, what problems result from valuing our life for its own sake? What does it mean to "take up his cross daily and follow me" (Luke 9:23-25)? What keeps us from doing that? What does it mean when Paul says, "I have been crucified with Christ" (Galatians 2:20)? Can we follow Christ, if we are actually trying to hang on to our own life?

a. If we value our life for our own sake we will not be effective servants for the Lord.  We will be caught up with the world and all its distractions.  Pleasing ourselves and doing our own will, not God's will for us and more easily falling into sin.  We will be living in the flesh and not in the Spirit.

b.  We are to surrender our lives totally to Christ,  dying to self and letting Christ rule and reign in our lives.

c. Our self will keeps us form total surrender. We need to deny our self and crucify our flesh.  Our old nature is selfish, always wanting to please self, in comforts, pleasure, etc.

d.  I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ lives in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me. Galatian 2:20   When Christ was crucified, I was in Him and I died to self and sin. (Just like before when  I was in Adam, when he sinned,  I took on that sin nature) (when I accepted Christ as Lord of my life, I took on Christ's nature)  I still live, but not the old me but the new me.  Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.  2 Cor. 5:17      I live by faith in what the Son of God has done for me.   

e. No, cannot follow Christ when hanging onto our own life and walking by the desires of the flesh.

When we value our lives more than what He wants us to do than we are saying that we love ourselves more. That we are not ready to give up anything for Him. That we are too comfortable and we do not want to change anything. Then, He cannot use because we have not fully surrendered ourselves and everything we own. He will put us on the shelf until we realize we need to be sold out for Him. Our witness will be hurt by it as well and we will be ineffective and useless for the kingdom.

Taking up the cross means to surrender your life and do what He asks you to do. It means laying down your will and letting Him guide and lead you. 

I think that a lot of the times fear keeps us from doing it. We are afraid of what other people might think if we went all out for Jesus. We are afraid we will lose everything we have. We like things the way they are and do not like to be put out of our comfort zones.

Being crucified with Christ means that your old way of life is dead and that there is new Spirit inside of you now. It is stronger than your own and because of it you cannot resist anymore. Because God has changed you from the inside out and now your spirit longs to do the will of God but your old nature says no. Once you are truly surrendered your only desire is to follow Him.

No, we cannot follow Christ and hang onto our own lives at the same time. We cannot serve two master at the same time. We have to choose between the two.

Q3. (Acts 20:24) Our life is valuable to God, of course, and we are to value it. However, what problems result from valuing our life for its own sake? For me is the problem of my heart being broken over and over again by the people whom I love and care for. However at this point of my life I do consider this life is worth nothing to me but then if I am thinking of my heart being broken over and over  I am convicted to reconsider how much I am walking and trying to finish the race and complete the task as the Lord has given me.I certainly cannot do it on my own, need the Lord every step of the way.

Anyone who intends to follow Jesus has to let Him lead. It is not to feel fear of suffering and pain or broken heart for the matter. It is not about trying to help ourselves, it is about self sacrifice which is not done out of performance but done out of a relationship with Jesus.

What keeps us from doing that? Self .

What does it mean when Paul says, "I have been crucified with Christ" (Galatians 2:20)? That means Christ has taken Paul’s  place and paid the price for his sins, so when he dies to himself, he have been crucified with Christ. His soul is not worldly anymore and he  does what God tells him to do.

Can we follow Christ, if we are actually trying to hang on to our own life? Definitely not.

Our life is valuable to God, of course, and we are to value it. However, what problems result from valuing our life for its own sake?

As long as my desires, my will, my life plan, my comfort, my pleasure come first, then I cannot really be Jesus' disciple -- I can only fool myself and go through the motions of a religion.

What does it mean to "take up his cross daily and follow me" (Luke 9:23-25)? What keeps us from doing that?

Denying self and commitment to Christ.  Fear.

What does it mean when Paul says, "I have been crucified with Christ" (Galatians 2:20)? Can we follow Christ, if we are actually trying to hang on to our own life?

"I have been crucified with Christ" means old self is dead.  The things we use to do we do not have the desire to do anymore. 

• 1 month later...

Our life is not our own, it is a gift from God.  If we forget this and live as though our life is to be valued only for its own sake, we lose the focus that should be on God alone.  we are not to live only for self-gratification, but in order to fulfil the will of God.   To do this, we must deny ourselves (take up our crosses) and live our lives according to the pattern that Jesus gave us.  This will involve self-sacrifice and, in extreme cases, even being martyred for the gospel.  We find this difficult because we are hedonistic - we prefer to make our desires and wants the centre of our lives, rather than the will of God.   To be "crucified with Christ" means to be dead to sin.  Christ died so that our sins may be wiped out, and we might be justified.  Therefore we can no longer be slaves to sin, but must overcome sin and temptation just as Christ did.  Unless we conform to God's will and give our lives up to following Christ we cannot be His disciples, so therefore we must be prepared to turn our backs on self-gratification.

• 2 years later...

Acts 20:24) Our life is valuable to God, of course, and we are to value it. However, what problems result from valuing our life for its own sake?

Can we follow Christ, if we are actually trying to hang on to our own life. 

To "value" life can have different meanings. You can value it to your own detriment. Thinking only of your own interest. Putting yourself first all the time. Not thinking of the next person. But valuing life by living for Christ, is a total different ball-game. 

When Christ came to live among man He laid aside His own comforts and took on God's will as His priority. That was to eventually be the Supreme Sacrifice so mankind can be redeemed. That meant taking up the cross. For us to take up the cross means to lay aside 'self', crucify "I, me, myself" and let it be Christ living in me that is ssen and visible to all. 

It is not always easy to lay aside self. With Christ, it is possible. 

Paul means just as mentioned above that he has put aside his own desires and allowed Christ to permiate his life. He has crucified his flesh with Christ on the cross. Now the I being dead can no longer be who takes control. It is Christ who has risen from this death, He now lives in Paul/me and He has control of Paul's /my life. 

No, we have to let go.