JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. (2 Peter 1:1) What does "received a faith as precious as ours" mean in this verse? How does our faith compare to St. Peter's faith? Is our faith equal to his? Why or why not? How do you explain the discrepancy?

This means that people should not look down upon the faith they had received, this was an encouragement from the Apostle to people when they had their internal problems of the false techers, who were causing people to doubt their faith and turn away from Christianity.

This should also encourage us not to doubt our Salvation, Jesus is soon coming and we should be ready for no matter our surruondings.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Peter was saying tht his readers have received a faith that is equal to those that were with Christ. The there faith is the same as his. We can have the same faith in us that Peter possessed if we want it. Allwe need is our belief to be equal to or even beyond his (Peter's).

• 4 months later...
Q1. (2 Peter 1:1) What does "received a faith as precious as ours" mean in this verse? How does our faith compare to St. Peter's faith? Is our faith equal to his? Why or why not? How do you explain the discrepancy?

Faith is given to us by God and Peter knew this and how precious it was. With Peter using the word precious coming

from a background of a rough fisherman lets you see how much his faith has grown. This is not a word he would have normally used prior. Faith has to be used and excerised. The more we trust and faithfully lean on God's promises the more our faith grows. Peter is letting us know our faith is no differ from his or the other apostles. He knew it was a gift and opened it and started using it seeing the results as so many believers fail to do.

I agree with Remas. We are distracted and so comfortable with the thing of this world, we rarely see Jesus. This not only effects us but also the churches in America.

What we need is a revival. Revival starts in the hearts of the belivers and them spreads to the church then to the unbeliver. If you want to see what this would look like read about Spurgeon or Finney.

i agree, but the answers pertaining to your reply is off track with the question to the study. Lets see by doing the study as presented if it doesn't lead to an answer warranted :)

To see the issue of faith as the same as that of Peter in some ways impossible mainly due to the fact that in the Western world the level of persecution is by no means the same. I f we have ever faced real persecution has it been life threatening? In some ways we or I should it be carry on living and witnessing without a sense of real faith expression. It is with out fear that we live thus our expression of faith has comfort zone limitations. Yet that should not be the case. If the precious nature of our faith was expressed in the same way as that expressed by Peter and the church he was writing to then the church would be as dynamic and as powerful as it was in the first couple of centuries and how it is in certain parts of the world today. I am we are to comfortable in the materialism that surrounds our churches today that we are unable to see the power of God and what real faith in him is all about. Yes we do have the potential to have the same faith that Peter showed, yet are we am I prepared to to endure what Peter ultimately wnet on to endure.

i do not see it as impossible. Sure we might not be physcially persecuted as Peter, but we can be if we are truly in the world talking and witnessing to non believers about the truth as he did. Meaning not just when an occasion arises as we're there, but to go out and create the occasions. This is going into all parts of the communities asking questions through the Law of Moses, if they are a good person and expose to them asking if they are sinners just as you are. Let them know how they are, as you are, but being the difference in you now in how God sent His Son to pay the price for your sins and the same for them if they repent. If done as God's word says with love their conscience will bear witness to the truth. they still might deny it but as Psalm 19:7 tells us "The Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul of a man". Romans tell us all people are without excuse and the Law is written in all men hearts. If the people today are comfortable with the materialism of the world it's their own choosing. Peter's faith was not always as strong as his turned out to be, but through us being obedient and trusting we too can have the faith of Peter. Faith has to be used to grow. It's all about choices, the same as when we accepted Jesus Christ as our Savior and to make Him LORD OVER OUR LIVES! Not just accepting Him and believing but being obedient to His commandments, all of them. To live a life as this you will meet persecution as though your life is threatened or you felt as though it was.

I believe this means the quality of the faith given to all believers is the same. The quantity (or depth) is not. I think Remas is correct that persecution is a factor in growing faith. But I think persecution acts more as the agent of growth than the means to growth. Without persecution as a motivator, material comforts certainly will dissuade many of us from stepping outside our comfort zones and risking what we have. So without persecution, what then becomes the agent of growth? Jesus' call.

Dietrich Bonhoeffer, in his book "The Cost of Discipleship", links faith with obedience. He wrote, "Obedience remains separated from faith. From the point of view of justification it is necessary thus to separate them, but we must never lose sight of their essential unity. For faith is only real when there is obedience, never without it, and faith only becomes faith in the act of obedience."

Therefore, our faith will grow and deepen only insofar as we are obedient to Jesus' call. Peter was obedient to the point of death. The depth of his faith must have been great. This is not to say we should strive for a martyr's death so that we can have great faith. Following our own calling will never grow our faith. Only by following Jesus can this happen. Whatever Jesus calls us to, if we are obedient then our faith will grow.

Good reply, i like this very much. To further my thoughts see my reply to Remas.

• 2 months later...

2 Peter 1: This "like precious faith" seems to be of note because, while it arrives in different ways, the ongoing testing of this faith was the same. For Peter, it first came in the personal, physical experience while walking and talking with Jesus over three years. Then, like us, in the cruel world he found himself working it out over many years before 2 Peter was written. So, for his readers, it was the same faith - an ongoing daily understanding of God's love to His beloved and our response to Him. But, knowing Jesus up front and personal,seeing and hearing Him in His physical body, hearing his works audibly and directly - even for a moment - let alone for 3 years, would seem to make faith much easier. In fact, Jesus prayer for His disciples indicated that "those who will beleive without physical evidence" would deserve special mention. But clearly, the like precious faith always came from the daily walk each day and growth in 'heart knowledge' of Him through life's trials. Perhaps another way to say it is that and untested faith isn't really a precious faith. In that regard many believers around the world are united in faith even thought the testing in one case is for daily survival while in another it is keeping our first love when so many entanglements are possible.

But, I'm left with a question in looking at the next verses. Why do we see so many men and women taking ahold of the faith then either coasting or worse - letting go of what they know to be truth and eventually being merely innoculated to the evidence that should really infect them with desire to get on with growth in Him. If we really believed in a Big God with the power and love He has shown, why is there so little desire to go deeper and higher with Him? And, worse yet, what are the seeds being sown for those who follow or just watch?

Blessings in abundance as we journey this road of faith!!

• 2 weeks later...

Because our faith is a gift from God, our faith is perfect, because He who gave it is perfect. It is not the value of the perfect gift which distinguishes us from Peter, since it is impossible for one perfect thing to be more perfect than another; rather, what distinguishes one faithful Christian from another is his/her knowledge regarding that perfect gift. In other words, our faith is every bit as perfect as Peter's, we just didn't know it until (through the Spirit) he told us. Now that we have heard him say it, we believe it! I am grateful for the revelation this God-breathed scripture provides and pray that the Lord continue to cause me to grow in knowledge and depth of insight regarding not only the faith He has gifted to me, but also His gifts of hope and love. Amen

i do not see it as impossible. Sure we might not be physcially persecuted as Peter, but we can be if we are truly in the world talking and witnessing to non believers about the truth as he did. Meaning not just when an occasion arises as we're there, but to go out and create the occasions. This is going into all parts of the communities asking questions through the Law of Moses, if they are a good person and expose to them asking if they are sinners just as you are. Let them know how they are, as you are, but being the difference in you now in how God sent His Son to pay the price for your sins and the same for them if they repent. If done as God's word says with love their conscience will bear witness to the truth. they still might deny it but as Psalm 19:7 tells us "The Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul of a man". Romans tell us all people are without excuse and the Law is written in all men hearts. If the people today are comfortable with the materialism of the world it's their own choosing. Peter's faith was not always as strong as his turned out to be, but through us being obedient and trusting we too can have the faith of Peter. Faith has to be used to grow. It's all about choices, the same as when we accepted Jesus Christ as our Savior and to make Him LORD OVER OUR LIVES! Not just accepting Him and believing but being obedient to His commandments, all of them. To live a life as this you will meet persecution as though your life is threatened or you felt as though it was.

Relative to "faith has to be used to grow," the scripture "in the measure you use, it will be added unto you and even more" adequately confirms this.

dear all,

I am a new christian and my answer may be wrong.

'How does our faith compare to St. Peter's faith? '

I think my faith is much smaller compare to st. peter's. Why ?

When i read this question it make me recalled

LUKE 17:6 "So the lord said, if you have faith as a mustard seed, you can say to this mulberry tree, 'Be pulled up by the roots and be planted in the sea', and it would obey you.

so, i think faith can be compare, some big and some small !

am I right or wrong ?

I think what is important in Luke 17:6, is that Jesus said we can do what he said we can do in that passage. So, the proper response after reading this scripture is, "I can say to this mulberry tree jump in the sea and it will happen!" Also, if you don't believe you can do this now, don't worry - you will!

• 5 months later...

This means that the faith they have comes straight from God Himself. That is the most precious thing to them. Our faith is not as strong as his because of the way we deal with certain situations. In some situations we doubt God and then in others we are believers. Sometimes I think that we feel God has to prove Himself to us all the time when we should just believe because He is God and that Jesus is the Son of God and there is no other.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Q1. (2 Peter 1:1)

What does "received a faith as precious as ours" mean in this verse?

How does our faith compare to St. Peter's faith?

Is our faith equal to his?

Why or why not?

How do you explain the discrepancy?

We are all dead in trespasses and in sins. We must be born again. This is the faith we receive from God. We receive this faith by the righteousness of our God and Saviour Jesus Christ. God gives this faith to us who believe on the Lord Jesus. Christ's death, burial, and resurrection provide a just basis upon which God can show grace to sinners through faith. The debt of sin has been fully paid and now God can justify the ungodly sinner who believes on His Son. Faith is the sum total of all we have received when we embrace the Christian faith. We note that this faith is of infinite value as it was purchased by the blood of our Saviour. Our faith is exactly the same as Peter

• 2 months later...

"Like precious faith" I think it means that God is righteous to save those who put their trust in Jesus and it does not refer to the amount of faith an individual has

• 10 months later...

Our faith has the potential to be equal to his, if we can focus on God enough and spend the time necessary to evolve our relationship with the Holy Father. But we don't we are caught up in this world with all together too many distractions. And what good do those things do for us? Nothing, but to keep us from His fullness.

Help us Father in this fallen world. Please come heal our broken land and broken hearts, we cry out to you, hear us from heaven!

Jesuschristo pronto viene! Holy Spirit teach us what we need to know to go deeper into your love, reveal what we need to know today. Our lot is hopelees without your love. Thanks you for saving us!

• 1 year later...

1a) Our faith is a gift from God, through believing,accepting Jesus &his sacrifice for us, He is our saviour.

B)Our faith is equal in value isotimus,to the gift of faith Peter received, through Christ’s redemptive act.All believers accepting Christ share in the same faith, precious as from God. It’s preciousness is not affected by our unworthiness.

c)We are sinners saved by grace,we know we deserve punishment,but God’s righteousness has brought us freedom, Jesus rescued us, we couldn’t ever do so ourselves.

d)We are servants of God like Peter.As an apostle of Jesus,Peter knew him intimately,he had his authority, but describes himself as humble, maybe conscious of his weakness, he failed Jesus in denying him. I fail him too when not the witness should be.I seek his humility&awareness of preciousness of my faith.

e)Devil deceives that we are in different environment,age.We are same body of Christ as then,we all share in the blessings of our faith in Christ, all equal in the cross of Christ, one Church,power of God is the same..Discrepancy is in our mind.

• 6 months later...

Peter is saying that anyone who has faith in Jesus has the same access to God as any other believer.  All who are saved in/by Christ Jesus are saved by the grace of God and enjoy equal acceptance before Him, whether they are Jews or Gentiles, male or female, slave or free.

Our faith compares to Peter's faith in that anyone  who has faith in Jesus has the same access to God as any other be believer.  Hebrew goes into this pretty thoroughly.

Peter says in 1 Peter 1:8-9:  "Though you have not seen him, you love Him; and even though you do not see Him now, you believe in Him, and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy, for you are receiving the goal of your faith, the salvation of your souls."

• 2 weeks later...

The faith of each believer is equal in value, in honor, and in preciousness to God,  and is of the same kind as the faith of the apostles.  Every believer has just as much faith as God chooses to give him, and it is always exactly the right "amount", never too little and never too much, to deal with everything that comes our way while we depend on Jesus - - - it's enough faith to

-persevere faithfully through all crises and all good times,

-endure all suffering and persecution still faithful to Jesus, and

-do all the works God has prepared for us to do.

The apostles' faith is equal to my faith in value and honor and type, but God may have chosen to give them more faith than he gives me because His plans required more suffering, more persecution, and more work from them than from me.  Similarly, there are Christians living today who have "more" faith than I do because they are experiencing or will experience more suffering and persecution because of Jesus than me.  But for each believer, the faith he has is exactly as much as he needs to do as God wills.

• 4 months later...

What does "received a faith as precious as ours" mean in this verse?  Peter considers all faith equal and not based on seniority.

How does our faith compare to St. Peter's faith? Faith is in the heart of the believer, each believer and not to be compared.

Is our faith equal to his? Immeasurable

Why or why not?  Jesus required faith the size of a mustard seed to be acceptable

How do you explain the discrepancy?  The standard is established by Jesus

• 1 year later...

All believers are part of the same faith in Christ. It is the same faith that we live for now, as it was back then, with the same unending resource. Each person's faith is measured differently, and I now see that you must increase your faith by acting upon what God has already given you. I have seen the difference when one person comes to know Christ versus another. I see that each has been given a different measure of faith.

Peter's faith was built up by Christ in the flesh. We shouldn't contrast ourselves from Peter. I believe we should see him as one who was given an increased measure of faith and let it change his life. We have not seen Christ with our own eyes to witness his teachings and miracles, death and resurrection, but if we build upon the faith we have by acting upon it. Our faith will be increased by God working through us.

• 9 months later...

"received a faith as precious as ours" means that  the readers have a faith that is every much as privileged as Peters. which means "equal in honor or value" and simply "equal, like, of the same kind or value." Sometimes we think that saints have a special quality of faith that isn't available to mere mortals. But that's not true. You and I have received the same kind of faith as St. Peter himself. ​

• 1 year later...

Q1. (2Peter 1:1) What does "received a faith as precious as ours" mean in this verse? How does our faith compare to St. Peter's faith? Is our faith equal to his? Why or why not? How do you explain the discrepancy?

There is no discrepancy. The faith that God gave to us is the same as He gave to the Apostle Peter.  Peter compared our faith to be equivalent to his faith, if there is a difference it is in the exercising f the faith.

• 11 months later...

According to my study Bible; it says that it could mean equal in value. But it also says Faith in Christ places all believers on equal footing. It doesn’t compare to Peter’s because he went through intense persecution to the point of death on a cross. Our faith is completely different in depth. It is not as deeply growing in Christ as it should be. We let idols, aka other gods take the place of Christ in our lives. We also aren’t persecuted like the churches around the world are either. We are slack in the church to do what God wants. Some of us act like Sunday warriors but really aren’t because our lives don’t line up with the Word of God. We may act like we love God in church but God knows differently. We may not do certain things or not do them to God’s expectations. We also may go to sporting events on Sunday instead of church. We may also let other things crowd out time with God as well.