JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

It means that the precious Faith that Peter had we too have because God gave all of us a measure of faith, but it is up to us how we use it and allow it to grow. There are several accounts in the Bible where Jesus talks about "Oh ye of little faith" and "what great faith ye have". So it is up to us to exercise our faith to its greatest potential.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WHEN WE ACCEPTED CHRIST AS OUR SAVIOR WE WERE GIVEN "FAITH" AS A GIFT. THE SAME AMOUNT AS WAS GIVEN TO PETER. AS SMALL AS A MUSTARD SEED BUT WE HAVE TO GROW IT BY GETTING INTO "THE WORD" AND THEN APPLYING IT TO EVERYDAY LIVING. PETER'S FAITH HAD GROWN SO HE THOUGHT HE COULD WALK ON WATER BUT I KNOW OF NO ONE THAT HAS THAT AMOUNT TODAY. PETER SAW FACE TO FACE THE WORKS OF CHRIST , WHEREAS WE ONLY READ ABOUT THEM. WE BELIEVE THEM TRUE BECAUSE THE BIBLE SAYS THEY ARE. IT HAS NO LIES IN IT. WE LIKE TO BE IN CONTROL OF EVERYTHING.

its very encouraging to know and believe that our faith is the same as what Peter had.

The true test of our faith is when we are put in difficult situation either we can choose to behave like the fearful drowning Peter or behave like Acts chapter 2-3 Peter.

The decision is in our hearts to believe HIS word and apply it in our life. Our faith is the same as Peter and all the other apostles cause our source is JESUS.

Hello My Brothers and Sisters in Christ,

What Peter is saying to me in verse one is,that we have received the same kind of faith as Peter himself.Which he is also saying this means "equal in honor or value.As believers we are all the same in Gods eyes.Precious is a beautiful word to desdribe our faith.The same faith that Peter had in his time is the same faith that we have in the day and time we are living in now.Believing in our Lord Jesus Christ,believing Jesus is our Savior is "FAITH". Amen

Q1. (2 Peter 1:1) What does "received a faith as precious as ours" mean in this verse? How does our faith compare to St. Peter's faith? Is our faith equal to his? Why or why not? How do you explain the discrepancy?

I agree with those who state that we all receive the same faith once we are saved. I believe that our faith can grow since Jesus scolded the disciples once and said that if we had faith the size of a mustard seed we could move mountains. The closer we get to God the larger our faith grows. I do not believe, as some have stated, that my faith is anywhere near what Peter and others who are persecuted (or suffered great trials) have since I have such an "easy" life.

I think Peter was establishing the authenticity of the "Faith" shared by the people to whom the letter was addressed. Just as he did in Corneilius' house, when Jesus first sent him to see that Gentiles can be "saved". Call it a "stamp of approval" or a confirmation of "orthodoxy".

In matters of Faith, authenticity and orthodoxy, are paramount to spiritual health.

The phrase means that we received this gift of faith when we were

redeemed through the righteousness of our saviour (rescuer) Jesus Christ

through our belief. Peter's faith came about as a result of having initmate knowledge of Jesus, having walked with him and witnessed his miracles, his crucifixion, his death on the cross: having seen the resurrected Jesus, and his ascension into glory.

Yes, our faith is equal to Peter's though our belief. We have also received the gift of righteousness which is redemptive and which allows us through our belief, to have the same power and authority that moved in Peter's life.

Our confusion in this issue arises from the idea that one person has more or less "faith" than another. Yet it is written, "...God hath dealt to every man the 'measure' (Gr. "metron" the required [full] measure or limit) of faith. [Rom.12:3]

Faith is a spiritual principle whos operation is made manifest through confident belief and trust in the absolute authority and ability of God in Christ to perform all that He promises in His Word. The degree to which it becomes evident in our experience is determined by our level of "believing." Faith is the principle, believing is the action.

Jesus said "...Everything is possible to the one who believes." (Mk.9:23 HCSB)

Eph.2:8-9 states that God in His grace saves us THROUGH faith, which (salvation) is not brought about by our own effort but is a gift from God (who has given to every man the full measure of faith and made salvation freely available through Christ) ...and yet God requires something from us (a response). [Rom.10:9-10]

Salvation is the gift of God, freely available, yet only RECEIVED by whom? - ALL that BELIEVE (trust in God, rather than their limited grasp of the truth).

We must "excercise" believing (trust in God's ability & willingness in Christ, despite our circumstances) in order to receive the things of God. Faith (the principle) without "works" (believing action) is dead (produces no effect).

An airplane is able to fly because of the law of aerodynamics, which is a principle just like faith. But the plane must be moving in order to "fly", to put the law of aerodynamics into operation, just like a "believer" must BELIEVE (action) in order to demonstrate the measure of faith given to every man by God. Some airplanes fly higher and faster than others, but they ALL fly by operating the same law of aerodynamics.

:) Shalom!

"Received a faith as precious as ours" means that we have received a faith that is very much as privileged as Peter's -- equal in honor or value through God's standard.

Our faith is equal to St. Peter's faith in a way that we have received this from God. It is a gift from God, a received faith due to God's righteousness. Now, considering another aspect of St. Peter's faith, our faith is not equal to his because our experience with God is different from his. He walked with God, witnessed the mighty works of God, performed the works of God and learned directly from the Master. Though he had failures, he learned from them well. As Jesus told him that Satan had ask to sift him like wheat but Jesus said, He already had prayed for him and if he overcomes this sifting, to strengthen his brothers. I can personally say that his faith is very much grounded on his deep knowledge of his God and of Jesus, his Lord on which he is trying to impart to us through this letter, though having an original audience it could all be true to our time and lives. :)

Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God. My faith is growing everyday. Praise the Lord! :D

"Received a faith as precious as ours" means in this verse that everyone has received faith in equal amounts. Our faith compares to St. Peter's faith according to our use of it. Our faith IS equal to his because we are all equal before God. The discrepancy is the way and amount we utilize what God has given us.

"received a faith as precious as ours..."

As we consider what Peter is trying to express, we must consider the context of his words.

1) This is the introduction of his letter and is reflecting on the commonality he has with his readers by the grace of God.

2) Consider the words "received" and "faith" in the larger contest of the New Testament -- We can only RECIEVE what is given to us. God gives to each by His grace enabling us to gain access to Him.

There is ONE FAITH through which we have access to ONE God. Faith is given to all in sufficent measure, the reward to all is equal.

Reference these passages below:

Ephesians 4: 4-6

There is one body and one Spirit--just as you were called to one hope when you were called-- one Lord, ONE FAITH, one baptism; one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all.

Romans 5:1-2 Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom WE HAVE GAINED ACCESS BY FAITH into this grace in which we now stand. And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God.

There is one God, and therefore all who belong in Christ have access to God through one and the same faith.

Mrs. Christina Ingraham

Omaha, Nebraska

We who all have and believe proclaim Jesus Christ as our Saviour

dear all,

I am a new christian and my answer may be wrong.

'How does our faith compare to St. Peter's faith? '

I think my faith is much smaller compare to st. peter's. Why ?

When i read this question it make me recalled

LUKE 17:6 "So the lord said, if you have faith as a mustard seed, you can say to this mulberry tree, 'Be pulled up by the roots and be planted in the sea', and it would obey you.

so, i think faith can be compare, some big and some small !

am I right or wrong ?

It was a totally different culture and time,and I guess as Peter had actually seen Jesus their faith was strong,though I think our faith in Jesus today has to be just as strong as we are constantly promoted to live an ungodly lifestyle,TV etc etc are all

testimonies to ungodly lifestyles being bombarded to us all the time

Hi All,

Allow me to share my understanding on these questions.

What does "received a faith as precious as ours" mean in this verse?

Peter was a Jew, and since the letters of Peter were written after Acts 15, this verse could have been applied to both believing Jews and Gentiles. This faith is precious because of the price that Jesus [Hebrew:

Hi All

I believe that to have faith is to believe and plain and simple, I do not think there is different degrees of faith. In our lives I think all of us have gone through something, but we wouldn't have been able to go through it as well as we did if we didn't know that we had got our Father in heaven with us. We had faith and believed that God would pull us through that.

I think he's talking of the faith all Christians have - the faith it took to accept God's gift of salvation - "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith"- Ephesians 2:8

Therefore, by definition, we all have received the very same and very precious faith - the one thing it takes to have eternal life with God.

It means they have the same faith as Paul. Everyone who has faith, no matter how small, is precious because Jesus' blood is precious. We all share in the same blessings because of our faith. Our faith is porportioned to us by Him. God gives some more faith than others according to His good will.

#1 - Great and precious promises 2 Peter 1:1-4 ->01-Equal Faith: What does Peter Mean by "Like Faith as Ours? Peter is assuring us, (Believers in Christ Jesus, those of us who have been washed in Jesus Blood and been converted, that we too have received from God the exact same faith as that of Peter and the other apostles. Hebrews tells us that there is "One Faith, One Lord and One Baptism. Jesus said it only takes faith as a grain of a mustard seed to move mountains. The faith in Jesus, that we have received from Him who is the author and finisher of our faith is just the same as all the other believers have recieved!!! Truly God is Great and greatly to be praised"

Q1. (2 Peter 1:1) What does "received a faith as precious as ours" mean in this verse? How does our faith compare to St. Peter's faith? Is our faith equal to his? Why or why not? How do you explain the discrepancy?

Received a faith as precious as ours means our faith come's from the same place as his - From God! Our faith compare's to St. Peter's as being "like - the same, & precious", because it come's from God. I don't see a discrepancy. This edited copy of my first post is the same but missing the customizing of the font and color that I tried to do.

Received a faith as precious as ours means our faith come's from the same place as his - From God! Our faith compare's to St. Peter's as being "like - the same, & precious", because it come's from God. I don't see a discrepancy. This edited copy of my first post is the same but missing the customizing of the font and color that I tried to do.

Oops :D, I jumped ahead a day, and answered from the Overview of the study. So my answer here wasn't suppose to be until I receive the question tomorrow.

Sorry to be such a late poster... I started on the study pretty well into the game. I think everyone pretty much covered the ground for Question 1 except for these little tidbits:

1. Of all the apostles, Peter and Paul both seemed keenly aware of their pasts: Paul as a former persecutor of the believers and Peter as one who had denied Christ. In that light, I find it especially meaningful that Peter would write of how precious the faith is. This gives me hope and comfort, for I, too, am an unworthy sinner with a past. The quality of my faith is as precious as Peter's. God loves me just as much.

2. Much has been made about the difference between Peter's faith and ours, but that difference is a result of the utilization of the resource. If Bill Gates somehow limited himself to living on my salary, his lifestyle would be much different even if he still had his billions in the bank. He would not be utilizing the resources he has.

Likewise, if my faith is "less" than Peter's, it is because I'm not utilizing the resources my heavenly Father provides to me.

Thanks!

== Ross ==

Q-1

a) believers today have received the same quality and quantity of faith as did Peter and other early believers

B) the language of the Bible indicates that it is equal = to Peter's--not greater> or lesser<, but I have a question: Is it possible then to grow in faith (ie increase) since Jesus berated the disciples for have so little faith (Mt. 6:30, 8:26, 14:31--speaking to Peter!--16:8, 17:20; Mark 4:40, 16:14; Luke 12:28, 17:5; 2 Cor. 10:15)?

In looking up these references, i've noticed something; there seems to be a correlation between understanding/apprehension of Who Jesus Is and faith. It appears that individuals who were commended for great faith also were very humble and appreciative of Jesus (calling Him LORD) and the ones with little, no, or lacking faith didn't recognize Him and/or were weak and fearful in His presence. I found Jesus' response to the disciples' request to increase their faith (Luke 17:5) very significant insupporting this correlation. It was more the "outsider" who had the greater appreciation for Jesus, the Messiah, than His own people; they didn't recognize Him as their long-awaited Messiah; worshipping God had degraded into tradition and duty, rather than froma thankful love-filled heart!

I've studied the Scriptures nost of my life and have taught others, burt have never seen this correlation between faith and appreciation of Yeshua, the Messiah!