JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. The Tent of this Body

Q1. (2 Peter 1:13-15) Why does our culture avoid talking about death? How is describing your earthly body as a "tent" freeing and motivating? What is the significance of Peter referring to his death as a "departure" or "exodus"?

Our culture has a high focus on beauty, youth, image, and material objects we can collect in life. Less and less emphasis on religion and

Christianity; even the YMCA is changing its name to "The Y" No one wants to talk about death, especially those who say we'll die when we die. Its refreshing when we hear about where we're going, if we believe we're going there.

Our body is a temple and God has given it to us to take care of, to use it to worship Him as best as we can.

I like how Winston Churchill had them play "Taps" and " Reveille" at his funeral, saying this was the end of life, and the beginning of something else.

It is a struggle to keep one's focus in this crazy world with all the material distractions and the nay-sayers who think we're craze to believe something we'll never see while we're alive. Still, I'm glad I'm saved and have the Holy Spirit and await the next tests of life to come my way. May I be more responsive to the situations and see how best the server HIM.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (2 Peter 1:13-15) Why does our culture avoid talking about death? How is describing your earthly body as a "tent" freeing and motivating? What is the significance of Peter referring to his death as a "departure" or "exodus"?

Our culture has a high focus on beauty, youth, image, and material objects we can collect in life. Less and less emphasis on religion and

Christianity; even the YMCA is changing its name to "The Y" No one wants to talk about death, especially those who say we'll die when we die. Its refreshing when we hear about where we're going, if we believe we're going there.

Our body is a temple and God has given it to us to take care of, to use it to worship Him as best as we can.

I like how Winston Churchill had them play "Taps" and " Reveille" at his funeral, saying this was the end of life, and the beginning of something else.

It is a struggle to keep one's focus in this crazy world with all the material distractions and the nay-sayers who think we're craze to believe something we'll never see while we're alive. Still, I'm glad I'm saved and have the Holy Spirit and await the next tests of life to come my way. May I be more responsive to the situations and see how best the server HIM.

I think that the reason that our culture avoids talking about death is because they may not fully believe in the resurrection. The only thing that concerns me is how I am going to die not that I am going to die and go to that glorious place and be with God the Father. I look forward to that.

I think that describing the earthly body as a

• 1 year later...

1a)Today’s culture puts emphasis on the hear and now, getting the most out of life, building stronger bodies.It doesn’t want to face fact that death &decay comes to us all.People are fearful of death, when not faced it their stage of life &/or may not be secure in their salvation.

b)Seeing our earthly bodies as temporary, like tents, and when die we will be put aside this& we will be reclothed with a resurrection body, eternal body free of disease and decay in glory Romans21Praise God.

C)The Israelites followed Moses to escape from slavery to a better place, “flowing with milk and honey”.Peter is looking forward to His reward after death of being with His Father and the redemption of his body.

• 6 months later...

By and large or society avoids talking about death because this earthly life is everything they have.  Our culture promotes materialism and secularism and death and the grave is the end.  There is no hope beyond the grave in popular culture.  So life is everything and death is something people do not want to think about and are terrified of. 

In Peter describing our earthly bodies as tents reminds us that our existence in this world is temporarily and we should be motivated to develop our spiritual lives and relationship to God for the immediate future and eternity.  We should be preparing ourselves for eternity with God.  Our eyes should be on the long view in living in the now.  Each day is another opportunity for development and preparation for our own departure from this life. 

Like Peter. believers, will depart this world like Moses and the Israelites departing Egypt for the Promised Land.  From earth to Heaven we will fly away.

From slavery to freedom.

• 4 months later...

Q1. (2 Peter 1:13-15) Why does our culture avoid talking about death? People often ignore what they fear.

How is describing your earthly body as a "tent" freeing and motivating? When we recognize out body is a temporary dwelling, we will live each day more fully.

What is the significance of Peter referring to his death as a "departure" or "exodus"?  No one will get out of this world alive.  It is appointed until every man once to die.

• 1 year later...

Q1. (2 Peter 1:13-15) Why does our culture avoid talking about death? How is describing your earthly body as a "tent" freeing and motivating? What is the significance of Peter referring to his death as a "departure" or "exodus"?          ​

People avoid talking about death because of fear.  We do not have a proper understanding about life after death and everyone is so attached to this world, all their possessions are so dear to them, that leaving them behind is painful.  and death means to leave everything.  Most of the time we are not taught about eternal life and how beautiful life is with Jesus.

Describing earthly body as our tent is freeing and motivating because it makes us realize that we are temporarily living on earth and when our call comes we have to leave.  Its easy to leave a temporary abode.  The tents go up quickly, and just as quickly are struck and put away.

Peter is referring to his death as exodus, meaning he is going to a much better place, the promised land, a land which is free from slavery and into a land of freedom in Jesus Christ.

• 1 year later...
On 7/9/2004 at 10:05 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Our culture avoid talking about death because of its finality away from family and friends.  Describing your earthly body as a "tent" might be considered as freeing and motivating because you see it as eventually an outer garment to be cast aside before entering a more permanent  one. The significance of Peter referring to his death as a "departure" or "exodus" gives us an understanding of his thoughts towards death and that it is only a transition from one place to another.

• 11 months later...

I believe they fear death and they fear it because they don't know where they are going at the time of their death. I believe they also fear it because they know something will change at the point of their death. What they don't realize or understand is that death is a phase just like life you either go to heaven or hell. 

It is free and mobilizing because our body is only temporary and not permanent and heaven is our permanent home. 

The significance of what Peter is saying that departure means he is leaving earth to enter heaven his eternal home.