JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. The Tent of this Body

Q1. (2 Peter 1:13-15) Why does our culture avoid talking about death?

I believe many in our culture are not ready to die. Many are deciding that yes I know Jesus as my savior but I am not ready to live with Him as my Lord. The uncertainty of God's response to an ungodly life is cause for the fear of death. The opposite is true of the believer who has surrendered their life to Christ and lives for Him daily. We know that our suffering with Christ is to yield His reward upon our departure.

How is describing your earthly body as a "tent" freeing and motivating?

A tent is temporary. With the sin of Adam and Eve, came the pain of living with the results of a sinful world. We have been promised new glorified bodies. We have been informed that this earthly bodies are going to return from which they came. I often have to remember it is only temporary.

What is the significance of Peter referring to his death as a "departure" or "exodus"?

I am so glad for the exodus account. There is a promised land. The sad part is that everyone that God wants to exodus may not choose to go. The journey through requires our dependence and faith in almighty God to deliver His promise the Holy Land. I am grateful that this point was brought out. Thank you.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems that as long as we do not talk or think about death, that we will always find time later to deal with our salvation. We can procrastinate on moving forward on our faith walk. A tent is a shelter from the elements. The idea that our body is a covering for our soul , not the soul itself. We sleep in the tent at night, but leave it early as the sun shines down on it, as we will eventually do with our earthly bodies.

Peter was, as are we, looking forward to taking up residence with his Lord and Savior. He was being persecuted, and his death was very close. He was waiting to hear "well done, my true and faithful servant!", as he entered the promised land.

For some they are unsure of what happens to them after death, they would rather not think about it.

Our bodies are a tent where our soul resides until one day our souls put aside our body and we are eternally free

Peter is stressing that he is departing going away, not that we will never see or hear him again.

Q1. (2 Peter 1:13-15) Why does our culture avoid talking about death? How is describing your earthly body as a "tent" freeing and motivating? What is the significance of Peter referring to his death as a "departure" or "exodus"?

So many people of our culture fear death,and yet there are people who think of it to be natural and a part of life.Know one wants to think about how they are going to die.That is something each of us dont know untill the time comes.Some are taken very fast and others suffer.So many people are afraid of the unknown.Jesus tells us when we leave this world,I believe we will be with Him.Jesus speaks of death as a "Transfiguration.As Christian believers we know we pass on to a better place.Non Believers do not have this security not knowing where they are going.Some people in our culture is not bothered one way or another on the terms of death.

Peter speaks of our body being a tent,and how one day will be put aside.Its like a departure or exodus.As Peter compares his death as on his way to the Promised Land.Yes Peter suffered a cruel death.Sometimes we see death in horrible ways.Then there are time when you see someone suffer so much that death is a releaf.I believe we must always be prepared.You can pass so much good to others,such as sharing your Christian life where someone will take over the good that you have been doing.Kind of like passing your mantle down I would say.Leaving a part of yourself that will continue helping others.

Well, maybe because we think that it is only for the older generation. Our young people feel that they have time to get things right with God after they get old, but right now they want to have fun in their way. So We don't talk about it for one thing is we are afraid to talk about it and another we don't want to face the fact that one day we all are going to meet it some day. Anything we don't want to face up to we tend to avoid.

The earthly body is just the house that the soul lives in and by describing it as a tent is to say this is where my soul lives but my soul is free and motivating because I know that it is a temporary house, my body. So I can be free and motivating in Christ, knowing that I have another home that is awaiting me in Heaven.

What is the significance of Peter referring to his death as a "departure" or "exodus"?

He means He is getting out of here. He means he is leaving this earthly shell and going to be with the Lord. :D

Because talking about death means leaving everything we know here on earth and we loose control. Because of the truth which lives in us and will be with us forever. God requires us to love others and demonstrate love for His truth, and speak the truth in love. Our "earthly tent" will be torn down when Christ comes back, the body will be immediately transformed.We do not know the day or the hour of His return , we have a powerful motivation to live a holy living. A tent is a temporary building here on earth, our eternal home is in heaven, built by God, not by human hands.

Peter was talking about being transformed to a glorified body and resurrection. He is awaiting the Rapture.

Good Sunday morning God's chosen people!

I was away last weekend and very busy with RL but I am trying to catch up.

I am reading lesson 3 this morning after listening to the audio of lesson two, which I want to say was excellent! Growth is hard but it's truly worth it!

Well, I believe our culture avoids talking about death because they want to avoid it at all costs because they are not sure that there is anything past physical death.

Our culture is a youth, health kick to ridiculous measures like death won't get me if I diet, exercise, take vitamins, meditate, practice yoga or whatever to stay, what they say, young and fit! This is good but it only puts off the inevitable maybe for a time.

Dying is a sure thing like taxes. Eh? God gives and God takes away! We do not control the time nor the hour of our death. We are to respect our physical bodies (our tents) because they are the temples of the Holy Spirit but we are so much more than our outward, physical self. We are soul and spirit also. The spirit gives life but the flesh profits nothing! Our culture worships the outward man and either doesn't believe in the inner man or disregards him!

Describing my body as a tent is freeing and motivating because I don't have to be so concerned with it that I forget the more important part of me which is my inner man who after I put off this tent (die physically) my person still goes on in the spirit into eternity with my Father and Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. There is an end to this earthly life with all it's pitfalls, sorrow, sins and hurts and after my death here my new life begins where there is no more sorrow, sin and death. Alleluia! Praise the Lord!

Peter's death being described as a "departure" or "exodus" means that he will be leaving the land of slavery to the land of milk and honey to the Promise land of eternal life in heaven, to God's perfect kingdom!

Just my thoughts,

Sassyblue8

I'm sure satan has something to do with this one. If everyone thought hard about death they might seek the truth, the truth being heaven or hell, then they would take steps to avoid hell which is not what satan wants. satan has done his job to busy our minds with too many other things like live in the here and now, satisfy yourself today. Also many don't know what to believe about the afterlife, and if there even is one.

That I don't have to take all my aches and pains, etc.. with me after I die is very freeing.

The significance is he is shedding off his old dwelling for a new one, just as the Isrealites shed their old dwelling of Egypt to go to the promised land. We are also slaves to our flesh in that we have to eat and sleep and do things to maintain a healthy body just as they were slaves to the Egyptians.

I find that the people who do not talk comfortably about death are the very ones who don't have the assurance of salvation in their lives. It is awesomely motivating to describe my body as a "tent", because I know when this 'campout' is over I will no longer need to dwell in this tent, as I head home to our heavenly mansion. Thank You Jesus!!! The significance of Peter referring to hos death as a departure is the same for us modern day believers, we know where we are going since every departure has a destination.

• 2 weeks later...
Q1. (2 Peter 1:13-15) Why does our culture avoid talking about death? How is describing your earthly body as a "tent" freeing and motivating? What is the significance of Peter referring to his death as a "departure" or "exodus"?

When one of my sister's was dieing. I wanted to talk to her about it. My family wouldn't hear of it though, not even to them. They got mad at me & discouraged me from facing that which was right infront of us all. All's I could do was mourn silently. They'll talk about death flipantly when everyone appears healthy, but they are afraid to talk about it on a personal level when death seems apparent. And they don't want to say good bye, neither do I, but I did and I asked God to put His arms around Her and take her, for she became suddenly very ill, with an incurable (by man anyway) and I wanted her to go home to God so that she could live, with God, and not have to be in this wretched world anymore, in pain, and where people persecute us for loving God (she was a new christian too). I wish I could go home. I miss Abba Father in the physical and just want to see Him and talk to Him, right infront of Him, at His feet, where I am physically with Him, touching Him. I know that there is something that I need to accomplish here before I go home and that is being a Virtuous Christian in Christ, doing the will of God so as to be an example of Christ Glory and Power, for other's to witness and come to Christ also.

I think if we could have looked at it has her tent was being packed up for departure, that she was going home, rather than being selfish and denying that fact, then we all would have began to heal at a very deep level & grow in Christ all the more.

The significance of "departure", is that there is more to come. Death to these bodies - On Gods Terms - is the beginning of life ever more in Christ!

• 2 weeks later...

I think the reason people in our culture don't like talking about death is because they are reluctant to accept or admit to their own mortality. We live in a very hedonistic society-eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow you my die.

I find that refering to our earthly bodies as just' tents' to be freeing and motivating makes me realize they are just temporary. Our earthly bodies are just a vessel to hold our spirits until we can receive our glorious new bodies in heaven.

• 4 weeks later...

Most unbelievers avoid talking about death because of the uncertainty they feel about what will happen to them after they die. If you are a true believer in Jesus Christ, there is nothing to fear, only a longing to be with Him.

Describing my earthly body as a tent tells me that there is no permanence in the body I have now. The one I will

FEAR OF DYING PREVENTS PEOPLE FROM TALKING ABOUT THE SUBJECT

LACK OF FAITH AND KNOWELEDGE OF OUR LORDS PROMISES

WE MUST BE REAL INFORMED AND ARM OURSELVES WITH THE FAITH

THAT WORKS SO WE CAN TALK ABOUT DEATH FREELY AND WITHOUT

FEAR, INSTEAD EMBRACE IT AS WE HAVE PURCHASED OUR TICKET

WHEN WE WERE BORN. THE TRANSITION AND THAT IS ALL IT IS

TAKES PLACE AT A TIME DESIGNATED BY GOD AND WE MUST ABIDE

BY HIS WILL ALWAYS.

PETERS DESCRIPITION OF HIS BODY AS A TENT AS AN ILUSTRATION

OF THE TRUE NATURE OF OUR BEINGS. WE ARE SPIRIT IN ESSENSE

SINCE WE WERE CREATED AT THE IMAGE OF GOD IN SPIRIT.

PETER MENTIONS HIS DEPARTURE FROM THIS WORLD (PHYSICAL)

TO THE ETERNAL WORLD IN HEAVEN.

IF WE MATURE AND FULFILL GOD'S GIVEN TALENT

WE WILL HAVE A GREAT RECEPTION IN HEAVEN

SO WHAT AM I WAITING FOR TO CARRY GOD'S COMANDS?

• 3 weeks later...

Our culture aviods talking about death primarily because of fear.

Describing your body as a "tent" is not really freeing and motivating to me, however when you think of your body as "a tent occupied by the Lord" then that's a totally different story. He makes you feel good to know that God dwells within you. It's freeing in this sense, as you longer think of your body a shell for your soul, but as a place where God can dwell. Tent is something that is temporary, and that represents our lives, we rae allowed this body, during our tenure on earth, but once our timeis up, then this tempory shell will be taken down.

I think Peter means that death is just us losing our bodies, it doesn't necessarily mean the end of us, we are departing this earth to go somewhere else, to be with our creator.

• 1 year later...
:D 2PETER 1:13-15.Q1-----(1) SOME DONT TALK ABOUT DEATH BECAUSE OF FEAR,CULTUREAND THERE UPBRINGING,GET OVER IT,IT WILL HAPPEN;(2) TENT OR TABERNACLE= OUR SOUL IS VERY DISTINCT FROM OUR BODY, SO THE BODY IS THE TENT OR TABERNACLE WHERE OUR SOUL DWELLS= FREE; PETER WAS TALKING ABOUT DEPARTING FROM OR GOING OUT OF HIS TABERNACLE OR TENT(HIS SOUL) AND GOING ON A JOURNEY OUT OF THIS WORLD (EXODUS) TO BE WITH OUR LORD. :rolleyes: AMEN.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Our culture avoids talking about death, I believe, because they are afraid of death and what it brings with it. If those that feel this way, would commit to the Lord, they would not feel this way.

A tent is supposed to protect you from the elements, etc. If my earthly body was a tent it would free me from and protect me from all bad elements in life.

I should keep on reminding you of these things as long as I live, he says. The Lord Jesus Christ has shown me that my days here on earth are numbered. I will work hard to make these things clear to you. I want you to remember them after I am gone.

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Our culture avoids the subject of death because there is no hope in God and eternal life. The only thing the world has is today and they live for it.

A tent is a temporary structure which when used and is done with can be put away. The occupent is free from the confines of the tent. Our bodies are just temporary vessels for our soul and when we die, we are freed from the corruptible flesh. When we are done with our tents, and it is indeed refreshing to know that those who are dead in Christ will be with Him forever more, we are free.

As did the Jews have their exodus from the bondage of Egypt so too will we have our exodus from this filthy world. Thank you Jesus!

Our culture avoids talking about death because it is unpleasant. It is the end of life -- a sad, hopeless and sorrowful moment. However, the Christian sees death as part of the journey to Heaven and being in the direct presence of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Peter's description of our body being as a tent is both freeing and motivating in that like a tent our body is only temporary during our stay on this planet. The concept motivates me not to get too attached to this world because I am moving to greater adventures and life in eternity upon my departure or exodus from this planet.

My life here is only for a time purposed by God and then I will depart to be with my God.

• 2 months later...

Our culture avoid talking about death because everybody is afraid to die. There are different believes concerning those people who died from tribe to tribe.

When describing my body as a "tent" should make know that this body is just temporal, and when Am in Christ, The Bible tell me that I will get a new body which will not perish. I should take care on how I live in this world knowing this body will have to pas away.

We are all pasing away in this world, this is not our home. Peter knew very well that he is heading to Heaven that is why he said that his death is as a departure or exodus.

• 8 months later...

I suspect that our culture avoids talking about death because the subject causes non-believers substantial anxiety because they fear being held accountable for their sins. I think at some level these people realize that if they gave death serious consideration they would also have to seriously consider repenting from their sins and, since they still like their sin as a source of self-comfort, they are not inclined to seriously consider either matter.

I think Peter's description of his body as a "tent" is freeing in as much as it informs the reader that a person is not his body; although our bodies may be discarded such that we may not be found in them, we nevertheless live. I think Peter's description of death is motivating because it reminds the reader that we will soon be judged for what we do; we should, therefore, make the most of every opportunity to do good while we dwell in these bodies, because the very age to which our bodies belong are evil. (Eph 5:15)

I believ Peter's reference to his death as an exodus signifies the freedom we will experience at death; our earthly bodies are very limited in their potential to do good in God's eyes and are always at war with our spirits as they attempt to make us serve their sinful desires. Although we gain victory over our flesh through Christ who delivers us from its corruption even while we still live in the body, we will see a greater eternal deliverance from this body of death when we put it aside.

• 5 months later...

I believe our culture avoid talking about death because some don't know where they are going after they die. Some don't believe that heaven is real. And some know the truth but choose to live a life unworthy of God and the right to live forever in heaven. Describing your earthy body as a tent will help you to remember that this body is just a housing for your soul and the Holy Spirit. Peter is saying that he will escape the cruelty of this world and enter into a place joy and peace and much love.

• 1 year later...

Q1. (2 Peter 1:13-15)

Why does our culture avoid talking about death?

Talking about death is very difficult for most people and even socially taboo among my culture. There are perhaps several factors why this should be. The uncertainty and being scared about what happens after death, being just one factor. Then there is the concern of what happens before we die - how will we die? Will it be a prolonged illness or will it occur suddenly as in an accident? There is also the feeling of sadness when discussing the subject of death. Better not to discuss it, and so avoid this feeling of sorrow. Our lives are just like a tent, all over too soon and no permanency. As believers we realise this and look forward to spending eternity with our Lord and Saviour. This motivates us not to be too

• 2 months later...

Our culture doesn't have the same sense of God and of Christian belief that previous generations had. The emphasis is on being "young" being "successful" being "rich". I think that this leads to a fear of death and so someone who has died is said to have "passed away".

Describing our body as a "tent" implies the idea that it isn't a permanent dwelling place.It acknowledges that it can be quickly dismantled to allow the occupant to move on and fits in with the Israelites' experience in the wilderness, when they had to be ready to move as soon as the pillar of fire moved on