JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. What It Means to Perish

Q2. (2 Peter 3:7-13). Why is it important for us to understand what it means to "perish"? Why are these truths underemphasized in our day? What effect does that have on us? How can we get an understanding of judgment into proper balance in our churches and teaching?

To understand "perish", is to understand finality. I have more in me on this subject. I am just having problems focusing. So will at a later time, come back and expand on this.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Q2. (2 Peter 3:7-13). Why is it important for us to understand what it means to "perish"?

It's important to understand what it means to perish, so that we can be guided otherwise. When we know what the outcome of a particular thing then we may be able to change that. When we know the result of promiscuous sins, or non repentance, then we will know what to do differently, so as not to perish.

Why are these truths underemphasized in our day?

These truths are underemphasized today, because Christians, preachers, teachers, aim to please the people or congregation, whether for recognition or for acceptance, these issues are placed on the back burner, because of fear that people will stop coming church. As Christians, we have become lazy and conformed, we too are seeking acceptance from the world, and as such we are not carrying out the mandate totally, we do the parts that will suit us, and leave the other. :(

What effect does that have on us?

The effect it has on us, is that we become too comfortable, we adapt to our comfort zone, , and we rob ourselves and others of their blessings.

How can we get an understanding of judgment into proper balance in our churches and teaching?

Through, fasting, studying the word, having discussions, PRACTISING THE WORD, being active instudies such as this, yielding to the will of the Lord,He will reveal a clear understanding to us.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

It's important that we understand what "perish" means because we have a choice to make. This is underemphasized today because people don't want to believe it. To have balance in our understanding of judgment, we need to know and understand what the choices are and what the consequences of those choices are.

• 3 weeks later...

It is important to understand what it means to perish so that we understand and appreciate what it means to be saved.

Judgment and punishment are down-played today because it is politically incorrect to talk of such things. People in our culture want to live the way they want to, in a democratic society, without accountibility. They don't want people making them feel bad about the way they live.

God's Word, in its total package, must be preached and taught in Christian Churches. When the total picture is preached and taught you have a natural balance built-in. To preach and teach anything less than the entire gospel would be preaching a lie. Both God is love and God is a judge must be preached whether people like it or not. The truth can be painful, but the truth saves!!!!!!!

• 2 months later...

Q2. (2 Peter 3:7-13). Why is it important for us to understand what it means to "perish"? Why are these truths underemphasized in our day? What effect does that have on us? How can we get an understanding of judgment into proper balance in our churches and teaching?

It is important because something which is perishable means it is completely destroyed and can not be recovered, we have to be ready for the coming of Jesus because He is waiting for that sinner to get saved. It is Jesus will that anyone may be destroyed.

Many people say the Salvation is only for the old, they are mistaken, Salvation is for all generations.

Realizing that the earth is going to burned up, we should put more confidence in what is lasting and eternal and not bound up to earth and its treasures or pursuits.

• 1 year later...

It is so important to know what perish really mean is the way in which a person perish. Perishing in the bible means to me being without God and Christ for all eternity. The truth is underemphasized in our day is because people want to keep on sinning and the thought of Jesus coming back get in the way of their so-called "fun." I cause temptations that are so strong that some people fall short. I have been one of those people and I have repented and asked God to help me not to get into the temptation again. I pray for help all the time. I am really not sure because some church folks want let you come in and tell them that they are doing things wrong and they need to change. But if they could do this bible study it would open their eyes.

• 1 year later...

Q2. (2 Peter 3:7-13).

Why is it important for us to understand what it means to "perish"?

Why are these truths underemphasized in our day?

What effect does that have on us?

How can we get an understanding of judgment into proper balance in our churches and teaching?

It is most important to understand our eternal future; will we perish or spend eternity in the

• 1 year later...

When Jesus said,"... remain in me..." He was giving us the reminder to stay connected to Him, in the moment, or else beware what might happen to you. Having overflowing joy in the moment today is addictive it is the ultimate 'drug' it is the Holy Spirit. It is the eternal water blessing us. The idea of losing this is a way to perish duing the day, any day. our spiritual-conscience convicts us all the time when we are off God's path. We are perishing and need to somehow get back to Him. Anything else is not good and we can really feel it. God's judgement is happening all the time. Hence, praying for a great awakening in the USA.

Don't wait, now is the only time we have to remain in Jesus.

PRAYER4AWAKENING.COM

It is important for us to understand what it means to “perish” because that is what is going to happen if we don’t follow Jesus. Going to hell and being tormented for eternity is more than my mind can comprehend.

I think that the reason that these truths are underemphasized in our day is because it is politically incorrect. We don’t want to think of a God that won’t let us into heaven because our sins. We want to think of Him as a person that will accept everything and everybody. Since we don’t think that we have a God of justice, they we don’t think we need to follow his laws.

If we would just talk about what can happen when we die and the things that will happen in eternity I think that we could find the proper balance.

• 1 year later...

http://www.joyfulheart.com/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=49&t=214 2a)It is vital to comprehend that unless we put our trust in Jesus& submit our lives to Him,we will be lost for eternity when we die or when Jesus comes again.(face eternal death (John 3:16)b)In current day, repent or be doomed, isn’t preach so much as it was over emphasised before ¬ stressing enough,salvation and hope,putting of non-believers, preachers don’t want to put off seekers, but build up the discipleship of believers daily life.

C)Society doesn’t understand the truth, that without accepting Jesus,they will perish.

d)Balance is continuing to love others,pray for revival, Study Word of God&preaching stating to focus on the truth of salvation and hope of eternal life with God in heaven that believing in Jesus brings &on the awfulness of the judgement if do not submit to Jesus &receive Him as saviour.

• 6 months later...

It is important to understand what it means to perish because it is of ultimate importance to the lives of all people. 

These truths are underemphasized in our day and culture because they are treated as religious myths.  They are only treated by a few as serious truths to be dealt with.

A proper understanding of judgment can be developed within our churches and teaching when we place them there.  When we emphasize them through teaching, preaching, and prayer. 

We must focus on the entire Biblical message if we are to be complete and balanced.

It is important for us to understand what Peter meant by "perish" in verses 6 and 9 because that will help us see how serious and sure the coming judgment of God on man for our sins really is. - - >  Because of our sins, we will perish when God judges us unless we have a saving relationship with Jesus.

Knowing that if a person does not have a saving relationship with Jesus at the time of his death or when God comes in judgment should make me

--make my relationship with Jesus, my sanctification/my transformation into Christlikeness the top priority of my life

--make telling others about Jesus my second priority; and here I sin because  sharing about Jesus is not a priority for me and in fact, I have rarely said anything about Jesus to a nonbeliever

--make edifying other Christians, exhorting them to obey God, and encouraging them in the faith my third priority, and this I do.

I think that we Christians ignore or neglect the teaching that nonbelievers will perish and be condemned to hell for their sins at the time of God's judgment when Jesus comes again because we don't believe it is true.  Too many of us deny that God will judge and condemn to hell those who reject Jesus because

1) we cannot accept that God Who is love (1 John 4:16) would treat people in such an unloving way, and

2) we do not believe that Jesus is the only way to God (John 14:6; Ephesians 3:12; Acts 4:12).  We believe that everyone, no matter what they believe, is on the path to approach God the way He wants.

As a result of not believing that nonChristians will be judged and condemned by God, we Christians do not think it is necessary to tell them about Jesus  or to test our own faith and beliefs by God's teachings revealed in the Bible, and we think that it is acceptable and even approved by God to bring the ritual practices of non Christians into our worship and prayers - -practices such as yoga, labyrinths, and mantra/contemplative/centering prayer and visualization to seek a mystical encounter with "God".

A correct Biblical understanding of God's judgment will be taught in our churches only when the pastors and elders believe it is the truth and are willing to risk their positions of leadership and their memberships in the local congregation they lead, to teach it.  If the members of the congregation become more accepting of ecumenical and interfaith connections with those who believe differently, they will reject the truth of God's judgment more vehemently.

• 2 years later...

Q2. (2 Peter 3:7-13). Why is it important for us to understand what it means to "perish"? Why are these truths underemphasized in our day? What effect does that have on us? How can we get an understanding of judgment into proper balance in our churches and teaching?          ​

It is important for us to understand the meaning of the word perish so that we can catch a glimpse of the holocaust of utter destruction that Christ will bring with him when he returns. Until we understand the deadly seriousness and devastation of judgment -- what it means to "perish" -- we can't appreciate salvation very much.

These truths are underemphasized in our day because we're so afraid to offend anyone.

The effect is we ignore the awesomeness of judgment portrayed in passages such as these.

We can get an understanding of judgment into proper balance in our churches from studying and meditating on Gods Word and by the power of God the Holy Spirit. and by being courageous to preach the truth in love.

• 1 year later...
On 7/28/2004 at 2:00 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

It is important for us to understand what it means to "perish" because there is no return from the point of perishing.  You are lost forever. These truths are under-emphasized in our day because the coming of Christ i not seen as imminent, at any moment.  Many have become slothful.  We can get an understanding of judgment into proper balance in our churches and teaching by a proper study of the Word of God and listening to those with revelatory knowledge.

• 1 year later...

Q2. (2 Peter 3:7-13). Why is it important for us to understand what it means to "perish"? Why are these truths under emphasized in our day? What effect does that have on us? How can we get an understanding of judgment into proper balance in our churches and teaching?

It is important for us to understand because once someone perishes there is basically no hope for the soul at all. They have chosen to be separated from the Lord for eternity. They have chosen their soul's eternal fate by rejecting Christ. 

They under emphasized because people don't believe that heaven and hell exist and that they won't go to hell because it is not in existence to begin with. They feel can get away with sin since they don't believe.

It makes it hard for me to witness about Christ since they don't believe in heaven or hell. They think they are basically good people and can get in the door based on works. 

We can do through the love of Christ and the truth of the Word of God. By learning to teach the Word with love and not do it with a judgmental attitude like some do.