JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Q4. (2 Peter 3:9) Why does our culture resist the ideas of sin and repentance? Can there be salvation without repentance? Can you think of a time in your own life when repentance was difficult for you? Why was it difficult?

Because of pride and selfishness. There cannot be salvation without repentance, because salvation to me is trying to live without sin. Yes, when I had to admit to my alcoholism and use of prescription drugs. It was difficult because my family had no idea that I was using either to the point where it would hurt me.

• 8 months later...

We always want to place blame on anyone but ourselves. We're often not willing to admit fault and step up to the consequences.

There cannot be salvation without repentance, because repentance means that we are admitting fault (or sin) and asking forgiveness. Repentence is difficult when we use rationalization to justify our actions (it wasn't really a sin because....).

• 3 weeks later...

Our culture has turned a deaf to the Gospel. Americans are focused on pursuing the American dream and living the "good life" -- the material life to the exclusion of spiritual truths presented in the Bible. In the process, most think they are good people with no need for repentence to a God they are unclear about. Or repentance will meant a life change that they cannot handle. They will get around to God when their life plan fits it in. There can be no salvation without repentance.

I have had moments early in my life when I was focused on my naval career vice being focused on my God. Repentence was difficult because I was not open to it and my relationship with the Lord was shallow. Repentance at that time in my life would have meant me making changes in my life that I did not want to make because of my selfishness and spiritual shallowness. I was not permitting the Holy Spirit to work in my life.

• 2 months later...

Q4. (2 Peter 3:9) Why does our culture resist the ideas of sin and repentance? Can there be salvation without repentance? Can you think of a time in your own life when repentance was difficult for you? Why was it difficult?

The single greatest need of God

• 1 year later...

Our culture's resistance is self-centered and some people feel that they have nothing to repent for. There can not be salvation without repentance because we would being saying that God is a liar and that His would means nothing. I don't think that repentance was difficult for me because when I did wrong I would start praying for God's forgiveness, I think back to all the times I was in the middle of a sinful act and I would start praying to God not to kill me. My Father in heaven has been so patient with me and I am so sorry for all the times I have disrespected Him. I am still repenting for things I may think that are not as bad the things I use to do but sin is sin no matter how big or small.

• 1 year later...

Q4. (2 Peter 3:9)

Why does our culture resist the ideas of sin and repentance?

Can there be salvation without repentance?

Can you think of a time in your own life when repentance was difficult for you?

Why was it difficult?

We do not see ourselves as sinners. We have not murdered anyone, nor robbed a bank. We tell a few lies here and there but otherwise we are basically good clean living people. So there is no need for repentance or a Saviour. We read in 1 John 1:8,

• 1 year later...

We need to look at things one at a time, and at people, one at a time. TV can cloud the idea of spending time with God, why most watch TV to be entertained, why think about 'sin and repentance' that is not entertaining! What time is left for our relationship with the Triune God if we use TV a lot? Why even think about salvation if we don't think about sin and repentance? Its easier to be like all the other guys. The devil suggests to us that its better to be like all the other non-christians.

These kind of OLD HABITS did a great job of keeping my mind off of developing a relationship with my Creator. I thank God that is not the case for me today. I long for a deeper relationship. "Lord, I'm a sinner, but please give me a heart like David to seek you own heart, to know and love you better and to thus want to obey you better."

Create in me a clean heart oh God, and

Renew a right Spirit within me

Cast me not away from they presence

Take not thy Holy Spirit from me.

Restore unto me the Joy of thy salvation, and

Grant me a willing Spirt to sustain me

Our culture resists the idea of sin and repentance because we think that we can do anything and continue to be in God’s grace. Therefore we don’t need to repent. But there cannot be salvation without repentance. Yes, I can think of a time in my life when repentance was difficult for me because it was a sin that I enjoyed doing.

• 1 year later...

4a)Culture rejects ideas of sin& repentance, because it means they have to consider God future judgement &destruction in the end times, if they don’t turn to Jesus.

B) No Turning to Jesus is the Way to salvation, anything else is false. Society would rather a God that saves any one irrespective of what they have done or not done.Jesus came to save us by dying on the cross to pay the price for all that have sinned.

c)Ongoing need to recognise where I haven’t obeyed, and seek to turn from this.

D)The ongoing spiritual battle we are in, means we are deceived by satan that it is ok.The holy spirit works in me, giving me the power &strength to resist sinful life.

• 6 months later...

Our culture resists the ideas of sin and repentance because we are materialist and secular.  We want to live the good life -- the American dream of material plenty and spiritual emptiness.  There is no room for sin and repentance when narrowly seeking material gain and satisfaction.  Sin and repentance doesn't sit well in our culture.  It makes us uncomfortable.  It doesn't fit with our image.

From Genesis through Revelation the Bible teaches without repentance there is no salvation.  The fact is we are being saved from our sin.  So without an acknowledgment of sin how can there be salvation?

Repentance can be difficult because it acknowledges our sinfulness and short-comings.  It remains us that we are not gods.  It crushes our self-deception of how good we are.  Our delusion that this is all there is.

• 2 years later...

Our culture resist the ideas of ideas of sin and repentance because no one wants to be confronted and offended and the devil is deceived people into thinking that the dark deeds which they do are not sin at all.  People want to be good to all and accept all wrong things as right.

no salvation is not possible without repentance. 

Yes, many times in my life pride has stopped me from repenting from my sin.  But thanks to the grace of God, if not for it I would still live in deep sin.

• 1 year later...
On 7/28/2004 at 2:02 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Our culture resist the ideas of sin and repentance because it lacks full acceptance  of such sin will lead to eternal damnation.  There can be no salvation without repentance.  There was a time when repentance was difficult for me. It was difficult because I enjoyed the sin even though it was damaging to my body.

• 1 year later...

The main reason it resists those two ideas is because they want to go their own ways and not change. They want to do their own thing and not have to think about the fact that there is a God who actually exists who will judge them and their sins. 

No there can not be. Repentance is a changing of the mind and heart attitude and both have to happen in order for salvation to take place. 

Yes when I started the 12 steps for my COE and I had to repent of it and change my ways. I didn't want to do it because I wanted to stay in my addiction. 

It was difficult because I had been in it for so long.