JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Two Debtors

• 2 months later...
On 4/22/2023 at 12:58 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q3. (Luke 7:41-43, 47) According to Jesus’ Parable of the Two Debtors, do you think the woman was saved prior to the dinner or during the dinner? How effusive is your love for Jesus? How should we as disciples express our gratitude for salvation?

The woman was saved during the dinner. My love for Jesus Christ is extremely special and is continually increasing every day. The only way to express our gratitude for salvation is going to any extent preaching the gospel of salvation all days of our life. 

I think the woman was saved during the dinner as she wept on his feet as a sign of repentance and honoured him with the perfume that was costly. My love for Jesus is drawing closer to him and being more real with him. We cannot thank Jesus for dying for us on the cross enough and giving us salvation and spreading the gospel to others.

It seems that the woman was saved prior to the dinner and sought Jesus to openly show her thankfulness to Him. She was not invited to the dinner, she was an outcast, so she would not have heard Jesus' teachings there, but sometime before when He was teaching in public. Her open display of love and thanks to Him is an example of how we should all respond to His unending love for us. She gave Him all that she had...first, her own pride, and second, her most precious belongings. Whatever we have in this world has been granted to us by God. It is only right that we give it back to Him in our worship and in thanks for what He has done for us.

My constant need for repentance and recognition of God's boundless love for someone like me draws me to a deeper desire to follow in the footsteps of Jesus. I want so desperately to have the same heart for the lost and to give all I have to that end. I am still learning and growing. My faith seems so small at times. But I seek to give "until it hurts" as a response to what Jesus gave for me.

Q3. (Luke 7:41-43, 47) According to Jesus’ Parable of the Two Debtors, do you think the woman was saved prior to the dinner or during the dinner? How effusive is your love for Jesus? How should we as disciples express our gratitude for salvation?

1. Either way, she was saved by grace through faith and her salvation was immediately expressed with the deepest of gratitude.

2. God gives me the love to love Him back.  I have no good or love in me except which comes from our Lord.  His love overflows and is one of the reasons I've been involved in jail/prison ministry.  Except for the grace of God I would be worse than all of them combined.  A pride filled person, rejecting the convicting love of God may be worse off than those in prison.

3. I don't not believe, when we stand before God, that we will say, "I wish I had not given my all to Christ."  "I wish I had not sacrificed."  "I wish I would have done something else."  Etc.  Whatever the deepest level of gratitude is, that might come from our lives, Jesus is worthy of infinitely MORE.  Gratitude is expressed by the way we live, talk, act, and how we freely share God's love through Christ with others.  We express our gratitude for salvation through words, actions, body language, attitude, motives, and how we respond to adversity.

Q3. (Luke 7:41-43, 47)

According to Jesus’ Parable of the Two Debtors, do you think the woman was saved prior to the dinner or during the dinner?

I would say she was saved prior to the dinner because she did not come in a spirit of repentance, but a spirit of overwhelming gratitude and worship.

How effusive is your love for Jesus?

First, I must admit, I had to look up the meaning of effusive (expressing feelings of gratitude, pleasure, or approval in an unrestrained or heartfelt manner.)  Second, I would love to say I am at the high end of this bar because I truly feel I am grateful for everything my Savior has done for me... but then I would have to look at the evidence or lack thereof for that conclusion... would others say this about me?  Am I unabandoned in my worship of my Lord and King?  Do I often thank Him or am I mostly asking Him to help me or others?  If Jesus was to tally up (which He never would) my prayers filled with things I need from Him verses the prayers of where I just worshipped and thanked Him for Who He is and what He's done... I would be greatly humbled by the resulting conclusion to that tally.  I have a quote on my wall that really convicted my heart (which is why it now hangs on my wall)... "What if we woke up tomorrow with only the things we thanked God for today?"  My life would be quite empty...

How should we as disciples express our gratitude for salvation?

It is easy to say, "oh if I was there with Jesus... I would've been like Mary, sitting at His Feet, or the women from Simon's house lavishly pouring perfume on Him... so... how would that look today?  Jesus tells us if we love Him we will obey His commands.  His commands are summed up in this, love the Lord Your God with all your heart mind and strength and love your neighbor as yourself.  So... this tells me we show our gratitude for salvation by loving God and loving others... what does loving others look like?  Jesus loved others by telling them about His Father... yes... hard times in this life need to be addressed but... not without giving them the roadmap to the next life... We love others by giving them the One Who can save them from eternity in hell.  As we give meals, water, clothing, money, time, mercy, grace, forgiveness... we must also give the Gospel... can it truly be counted as love if we leave out what they need most of all? 

On 4/21/2023 at 8:58 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Does it matter?  She went to see Jesus as she had heard His teachings and and was touched by His teachings, weeping she repented of her sins, and anointed His feet with precious perfume and showed her love to Him by kissing He feet, washing them with her hair. She was so thankful!

Because I am In my later years, I have been through some illnesses, I realize how Faithful the Lord has been to me, how He has worked in my life and how thankful I should be for every little thing. Swallowing, having an appetite, walking, seeing, hearing, motivation, His provision, His love, His mercy, His grace, His Faithfulness, how I am fearfully and wonderfully made and everything  works together in my body for good and I can go on and on. How He has given His life for me, His shed blood, forgiveness, healing, and deliverance. He has given me  His blood, His Holy Spirit, My body is the temple of the Holy Ghost, His righteousness, Fruits of the Spirit, the Armor of God  and He is changing me.   2 Cor. 5:17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.

We are to be thankful in all things, spend time in prayer, spend time in intimate relationship with the Lord.  Do His will, not my will,  and stay close to His Word.  (Proverbs 4:20-22)My son, give attention to my words; Incline your ear to my sayings.    Do not let them depart from your eyes;  Keep them in the midst of your heart;  For they are life to those who find them,  And health to all their flesh.

I think she saw and heard Jesus in action prior to this incident, who knows maybe she was around when he said to the adulterous woman " Neither do I condemn you , go and sin no more".

Or perhaps she was around as he shared the parable of the Lost Sheep and the Prodigal Son.

Either way she was assured of His heart of Grace, she knew he wasn't like the Scribes and Pharisees who looked down on Sinners, she knew He was her only way of Redemption, her ONLY way out. No wonder she got there before Jesus did , all set with her Alabaster Jar .

We are better off not boasting of our Love for Jesus like Peter , but rather boasting of His Love for us like John.

Our Love for Him wavers , but His Love for us never changes.

Our Gratitude for Salvation should result in A Worship for an Audience of One , an Extravagant worship, A worship in Spirit and in Truth , completely independent of the opinions of man ....birthed from a Knowing we are forgiven much, every one of us is Chief of Sinners .

Knowing we are 100% Sinners, helps us recieve him as 100% Saviour...we can then recieve His Love first in order to be able to Love Him and worship Him as He deserves!

Q3. (Luke 7:41-43, 47) According to Jesus’ Parable of the Two Debtors, do you think the woman was saved prior to the dinner or during the dinner? How effusive is your love for Jesus? How should we as disciples express our gratitude for salvation?

Wow, that is  a tough question. The moment of a person’s salvation or them getting saved is such an amazing miracle of God. When the God who created the entire universe, everything in it as He holds it all together brings a repentant person from darkness into the light; who can say. 
“Jesus says, in verse 47, her sins have been forgiven and reading further in verse 48, He says to her, your sins have been forgiven and in verse 50, Jesus says to her, your faith has saved you, go in peace.”

At times, I guess that my love for Jesus can be unrestrained and expressed with great joy, emotion and animation. I can’t predict when they will occur and they often catch me a little of guard. I like to share these moments with just God and I. Because  they are just so personal. But in Luke 19:39-40, when Jesus was coming down off the Mount of Olives into Jerusalem and His disciples were praising God joyfully with loud voices. The Pharisees wanted Jesus to rebuke them. “Jesus answered, I tell you, if these become silent, the stones will cry out.” As it is with us, sometimes the joy God has put in our hearts has to come out in praise, worship and adoration. Wherever we are!

By putting God first in our lives and allowing Him to direct our steps going forward. By loving God and loving your neighbor as yourself.

Q3. (Luke 7:41-43, 47)

According to Jesus' Parable of the Two Debtors, do you think the woman was saved prior to the dinner or during the dinner? How effusive is your love for Jesus? How should we as disciples express our gratitude for salvation?

I’m sure she must have been saved prior to this dinner. The reason being that just before this event there was Jesus’ gracious invitation in Mat 11:28, “Come to Me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.” This is shown in the Harmony of the Gospels - the order in which these events occurred are: first, we have Jesus easing John's doubts as in both Matthew 11:1-19 and Luke 7:18-35; then we have Jesus promises rest for the soul in Matthew 11:20-30, and finally, our parable - a sinful woman anoints Jesus' feet in Luke 7:36-50. I think she must have heard Jesus speaking about being burdened by the weight of sin, and the forgiveness He offers to those who come to Him in faith (Mat 11:25 -30). So, this would have been the time when this woman repented and turned away from her sin and put her trust in our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. Her overflowing love as shown by her tears, her humble attitude, and her expensive gift is the natural response to a changed heart and the forgiveness she received. Initially I never took my sins seriously – there were many so called little sins. It was only when I came to realise the magnitude of my sin and forgiveness that my response is very similar to the woman’s in our parable. All I deserved was eternal punishment, but Jesus died on the cross for my sins, past, present, and future. Then there is the promise of eternal life (John 3:15) - whoever believes in the Lord Jesus Christ receives eternal life as a free gift. The only way I can try and express my gratitude is by wanting to do something for Him, which I know will be inadequate. But still, I want to worship Him, I want to adore Him, I want to praise Him, I want to thank Him, I want to honour Him, I want to glorify Him, I want to serve Him, and I want to be obedient to His Word.

The woman had to have been saved prior to the dinner for she came in to the dinner with such gratitude for what the Lord had done for her,forgiving her of all her sins. Therefore she just wanted to serve the Lord with her best without shame of what others thought or said about her.

I strive with all of my heart to show my Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ just how thankful I am for all that He has done for me and my life and my family. I just want to serve the Lord in every situation I can find to serve Him. 

We should all seek to serve our Lord Jesus Christ in every way possible. We do this by serving one another. Jesus said what you have done unto the least of these, you have done to Me: but what you have not done to the least of these, you haven't done to Me. So let's go forth and serve Jesus Christ by reaching out to others showing them the love of Christ, with compassion and forgiveness in our hearts. 

According to Luke: 7 v/s 36-37, the woman came to Jesus just as he sat for dinner. So probably she was saved before Jesus had His dinner. 

Our love for Jesus should be very effusive. I sometimes fail to show such love for Jesus in public. But every time I am reminded of what Jesus said: if you acknowledge me in front of others, I will also acknowledge you in front of my Father in heaven. 

We see forgiveness from Jesus after He spoke to Simon. I think it is after the dinner. But as the story begins to narrate, it says she "was" sinner. So may be she met Jesus before and she knew him before and might got forgiveness that time.

I am always, everyday, amazed by the love of God that I am saved. Marveled by the forgiveness I have got. The luckiest person in the whole world. What a Grace. Thanks Jesus. You deserve my adoration. I worship you. 

Try to do the same for others to taste this grace and mercy extended with priceless love of Jesus.

A.Q3.

I guess the woman might have been saved earlier and now came to show her gratitude to what Jesus had done.

I need to express much more gratitude to Jesus for saving me from eternal death by His death on the cross for my sin and his resurrection.

Q3. (Luke 7:41-43, 47) According to Jesus’ Parable of the Two Debtors, do you think the woman was saved prior to the dinner or during the dinner? How effusive is your love for Jesus? How should we as disciples express our gratitude for salvation?

I believe the woman was during her encounter with JESUS. But her love and belief in HIM, before Simon's invitation to JESUS to dine with him, brought her to HIM. She must have certainly heard JESUS teachings before, for her to show up and cry and anoint JESUS' feet. JESUS sealed it by purposely recognizing her before Simon the Pharisee. My love for JESUS is great if not greater after reading studying this particular parable. We as future disciples must emphasize in your hearts and mind, continuously, gratitude for Salvation and the work of KING JESUS on the cross. 

We serve a loving God. God had already forgiven her for her sins. Because she loved much. Whatever her sin was she had heard Jesus speak before and she knew where to find him and express how much she loved him. She had repented and she knew Jesus would truly forgive her. This was the woman with the alabaster bottle of perfume. She gave her heart and soul when she shed those tears and used the expensive perfume oil. She knew Jesus deserved the best.

My gratitude for Jesus is beyond words that I can express. He has not let me down. What Jesus did for me on the Cross says it all. He did it for me, us and you. One time sacrifice on that Cross is more than gratitude. It is love. I am grateful for all He has done, will do and continue to do in my lives and the lives of all that truly believe Him.

Salvation is the best Free Gift we can ever received. Again, it is because of what Jesus Christ did on the Cross. The result when God saves us from sin and punishment; the new life that God gives to those people who believe in the Lord Jesus Christ.

Q3. (Luke 7:41-43, 47) According to Jesus' Parable of the Two Debtors, do you think the woman was saved prior to the dinner or during the dinner? How effusive is your love for Jesus? How should we as disciples express our gratitude for salvation?

Either way, but the woman was saved by a Merciful Father and her debts forgiven.

I love Jesus

We can express our gratitude by continuing in the forgiveness Jesus has extended to us and not going back to our evil ways.  We must allow God to be His instrument to work in and through us, love him above all things and obey him at all times.  We can show gratitude as disciples by freely giving what we have freely got .....love and mercy.

Who knows if she was saved prior or during the dinner! The fact that she brought the expensive perfume suggest premeditation (it's not like women walk around with expensive bottles of perfume); perhaps she had already decided to bathe Jesus' feet with it.

I have difficulty with love and trust in all circumstances and with most if not all people which, unfortunately, has negatively impacted my relationship with Christ. He is working in me with this now. To answer the question directly, my love for Christ is not effusive but guarded and tentative.

I should be more grateful for my salvation.

Krissi… I actually love your response! So many Christians are where you are… or have been where you are right now. God will break down your walls. He is in the business of transforming hearts. He does this one brick at a time. As you continue to seek Him He will reveal more and more of Himself to you. You will find He is trustworthy and He is not angry at your walls. He understands them because He wept with you as you built them. I am so excited for where He is taking you. Be patient with yourself and with God as you continue this journey with Him. 

1. I believe the woman was saved during dinner because it stated she was a sinner. Her love for Jesus saved her. She felt his compassion and wanted what he had to give her. She felt peace that was needed for her.

2. I have great love for Jesus because he understands and knows me truefully better than anyone.

3. We should by obeying Jesus in every way he wants us to. We should witness to everyone with his word and our life.

The woman was saved during dinner because Jesus Christ told her that her sins was forgiven. I praised his name and love he has for us to come to this earth and died on Calvary for sinners like us. And the blessings he gives us daily. I praised God for sending his only begotten son to died for us. Because we wasn't worth to even call God Abbe Father.But Jesus made it possible. That God gave us the gift of salvation. So we need to tell others about Jesus Christ and what he did for us and to tell own testimony and let them also received the gift of salvation also.

I have to ask myself this question:  How large is my debt of sin?  My answer: Just as large as the greatest sinner because I sinned against God and sin against God when I sin.  My expression of gratitude will take eternity.  I received Christ at age 11 and began witnessing and have ever since.  After 52 years in ministry I identify with this woman and with the Apostle Paul in Romans 7.  God has greatly increased my sensitivity to sin and it deeply grieves me that I sin.  The size of the debt cost Jesus coming to die on the cross in my place, taking into Himself the eternal punishment I deserve.  As the woman poured out her all, how can I do less?  For me, her act of love and devotion was the outgrowth and expression of her salvation, her debt of gratitude so to speak.  She saw her sacrificial gift as a privilege and was living Romans 12:1-2 before it was written.  My desire, even after 62 years of following Christ is to be like this lady, day by day.

I think the woman was saved before the dinner because Jesus Christ is Omniscient. He knew everyone's intentions and was just waiting for an action. The woman was prepared to do anything for Jesus Christ as long as she would receive His forgiveness. Unlike the host, she did not think that the perfume she used to wash Jesus' feet was a waste whereas the host wanted to benefit something from Jesus, hence he invited Him.

I am always grateful and thankful to God for what He has done for me. There are moments when I am alone with Him, I say "Where would I be now had you not saved my life when I trace all my steps. Maybe, I would not be alive now but I thank Mercy because it rewrote my life. I do not condemn myself when looking back but my heart is full of joy for the love God gave me and showed me. I will forever be thankful to Him.

We should continue to share the love of God with others who are still lost in the wilderness of the world and make people understand that salvation is not bought but it is a gift from God. We must always continue to preach Christ resurrected so that people can know that salvation is for everyone. The Word of God says "Love your neighbor as you love yourself." You do not love people you know but everybody as we are all made in the image of God because in God there is not color, we are all His. Let us preach the Good News and nothing else so that people can come to the knowledge of who God is, repent and be saved.

This beautiful woman experienced forgiveness before entering Simon's house because her extravagant gratitude towards Yeshua was an outpouring of thankfulness for her forgiven sins.

I am daily in awe and humbled by the gift of Hashem's forgiveness of my sins and that of the world. He is the Living Water that I cling to;  my High Tower and Strength; in Him I live and move and have my being-Acts 17:28. As a result,I live my life to glorify God and be a living example in the way I relate to others and in my sharing of the gospel message. But also, O what a delight that when I stumble I can go before His throne of Grace for His absolution and restoration.

Therefore, in my opinion, living godly humble lives that reflect Yeshua, is the ultimate expression of my gratitude for His Saving grace.

Q1. I think the woman was saved prior to the dinner. She had come to express her gratefulness and thanksgiving to Jesus by using expensive nard and anointing the feet of Jesus. She also used her tears to clean His feet and her kisses to show just how thankful she was. So Jesus must have forgiven her prior to this time.

Q2. I certainly have not been as effusive as this lady was. In fact mine love appears lukewarm by comparison! I do love my Lord and Saviour deeply, but these thoughts have made me realise that I need to show Him my appreciation more fully and deeply in future. 
Q3. Jesus wants us to be faithful followers. This includes, praying without ceasing, especially for our salvation, Bible study, involvement in our church, helping as much as possible, faithful attendance, fellowship with other Christians, speaking to the lost about Jesus, and doing good works.