JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q8. Wicked Tenants

Q8. (Matthew 21:33-46) Who do the servants sent to collect the landowner’s share of the crop represent? What happened to Israel who rejected God’s servants and Son who were sent to them? This is a parable about resisting those whom God sends to us to help us. Have you ever seen a church reject a pastor or leader that God sends to help them? Why is supporting our pastors and leaders important to God’s plan for the church? (Hebrews 13:7, 17). In the Beatitudes, how does Jesus encourage those who are rejected and persecuted? (Matthew 5:10-12)?

• 4 months later...
On 4/22/2023 at 1:05 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q8. (Matthew 21:33-46) Who do the servants sent to collect the landowner’s share of the crop represent? What happened to Israel who rejected God’s servants and Son who were sent to them? This is a parable about resisting those whom God sends to us to help us. Have you ever seen a church reject a pastor or leader that God sends to help them? Why is supporting our pastors and leaders important to God’s plan for the church? (Hebrews 13:7, 17). In the Beatitudes, how does Jesus encourage those who are rejected and persecuted? (Matthew 5:10-12)?

The servants sent to collect the proceeds from the tenants represent the prophets and messagers of God sent. The Israel who rejected the servants of God and His Son will dealt with on the judgment day while the kingdom will be taken away from them. There are many churches today that the members rejected because they refused to compromised their faith in Jesus Christ. 

It is very important to support our Pastors and leaders in order to achieve the God's plan for the church. 

In the Beatitudes Jesus Christ encourages those who are rejected and persecuted for His sake and gospel to be happy and be glad for great are their reward in heaven and that they wouldn't be the first as they did same to the prophets and servants before them. 

1. The servants sent to collect rent are the prophets, ruling class Jews, apostles, even the owner's son (Jesus Himself.)

2. After rejecting the servants/God, the people who persecuted the servants were themselves murdered. This is prophetic -- it speaks not only to Christ, but to Israel and the destruction of Jerusalem.

3. I have never seen a church reject a pastor directly, though I have seen a young pastor be hounded out of a church. He started a new church with some of the parishioners.

4. "Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness sake ..." We may be murdered or suffer greatly in this life, but God promises reward in the next life. Thus, we carry on, hoping to make it.

Q8. (Matthew 21:33-46)

Who do the servants sent to collect the landowner’s share of the crop represent?

These were prophets who God spoke through all through the Old Testament and included John the Baptist from the New Testament.

What happened to Israel who rejected God’s servants and Son who were sent to them?

God's Hand was removed from them... His Kingdom (as well as their nation) was removed from them and given to a people who were not His chosen people.  His Spirit was poured out on ANY who would believe and accept Him as the Son of the Almighty God.  My salvation is possible because Jesus' own people rejected Him.  I'm not real sure how to feel about that... I'm both incredibly grateful and incredibly sad at the same time.  I know Jesus knew He would be rejected but it still had to crush His Heart as He lived it out.  

This is a parable about resisting those whom God sends to us to help us. Have you ever seen a church reject a pastor or leader that God sends to help them?

Unfortunately... yes... I have seen this happen twice in churches I have been a part of.  It is very sad to see God's children lose sight of God's Will and instead place their focus on manmade buildings and rituals.  To put tradition or heritage above God's call is always a slippery slope for a congregation.  I have seen God's shepherds crushed by the very people they were called to love.  Just as Jesus must've felt crushed by the very people He loved.

Why is supporting our pastors and leaders important to God’s plan for the church? (Hebrews 13:7, 17).

Because we will be known by how we love one another.  A house divided against itself will not stand!

In the Beatitudes, how does Jesus encourage those who are rejected and persecuted? (Matthew 5:10-12)?

Those who are rejected and persecuted for Righteousness' sake will be blessed by God.  When we join Christ in His suffering we are to count it as joy... for if we suffer with Him... we will also be raised with Him on the last day to celebrate with Him for eternity.  Not only that but... we are told to expect suffering... this tells me that if I am not experiencing any persecution... any rejection... any suffering... then I am probably not living a life that is obedient to Christ.

Who do the servants sent to collect the landowner's share of the crop represent?  In Jesus' parable, the tenants represent the unbelieving ruling Class or the Rulers of Jerusalem.

What happened to Israel who rejected God's servants and Son who were sent to them? The utter destruction of Jerusalem by the Romans in 70 AD.  The end of the Jewish nation -- even as a self-governing kingdom under the Romans. At the fall of Jerusalem, the temple was destroyed, the city was burned, the walls were pulled down, and perhaps a million or more people were killed during the siege of the city, with another 97,000 people enslaved, many of them dying in the arena as gladiators to entertain the Romans. This crushing destruction was terrible evidence of the wrath of God upon his rebellious people.

This is a parable about resisting those whom God sends to us to help us. Have you ever seen a church reject a pastor or leader that God sends to help them? Yes especially in traditional churches.

Why is supporting our pastors and leaders important to God's plan for the church?(Hebrews 13:7, 17).  Elders and Leaders of the Church appointed by God, do the hard work of directing people to Christ, help understand the scriptures, continually encourage, rebuke and provide spiritual food to God's people, setting and example through their lives.  Supporting Godly elders will encourage them to continue faithfully in the ministry God has ordained them with.

In the Beatitudes, how does Jesus encourage those who are rejected and persecuted? (Matthew 5:10-12)? Jesus calls them Blessed and reminds them that they have a great reward in heaven.

Q8. (Matthew 21:33-46) Who do the servants sent to collect the landowner's share of the crop represent? What happened to Israel who rejected God's servants and Son who were sent to them? This is a parable about resisting those whom God sends to us to help us. Have you ever seen a church reject a pastor or leader that God sends to help them? Why is supporting our pastors and leaders important to God's plan for the church? (Hebrews 13:7, 17). In the Beatitudes, how does Jesus encourage those who are rejected and persecuted? (Matthew 5:10-12)?

The Old Testament Prophets

They missed out on the ones that God sent to them, to help and instruct them on how God wants them to live; including the coming Messiah who was sent to them by God to die for their sins. If they would just trust in, rely upon and cling to Jesus they would be saved.

No, but I’ve seen Pastor and other leaders treated poorly in more than one church situation.

Because God sent them to shepherd the church and to further the great commission. If we reject them we may be also rejecting God and His plan for the Church.

He tells them that they are blessed when they are persecuted and rejected and that they should rejoice because their reward is great in Heaven. That they share the same treatment as the prophets received.

Servants represent prophets and those who led Isreal.

Rejection brought about destruction and scattering of the people that led to the massacre of Isreal and loss of salvation to date waiting to believe the false massaih which in the end turns out to their turn to Jesus, which is also the fulfillment of Paul's prayer for his people. We say Maranatha! Amen.

I am not sure I know a church who rejected pastor...but I saw people rejecting our message of salvation in the streets during Saturday village to village services.

We are one body in Christ Jesus. We need to discharge our role with pleasure and dedication. We have to show true love and honor to each other so that our work will shine and attract others.

Rejection and prosecution in Jesus brings about blessing, reward and joy in the kingdom of heaven. That is the the hope of all believers who are steadfast in Jesus by fulfilling His commandment of the great commission.

I have personal experience, an ungodly forced resignation in 2011.  The church had grown from 125 to 425 in participation over 8 years. 150 baptisms. Solid growth. A thriving AWANA ministry. Expanding youth ministry.  Then...a rogue youth pastor and deacons.  Bottomline, they were asked why they asked me to leave, "We were growing too fast and getting the wrong people in."  "We want our old church back."  We had built a new sanctuary, went to 2 services, 1 intentionally traditional, 1 mildly contemporary.  I received counsel from 2 long term large church pastors and the DOM. "That's the history of the church...you won't be able to change it."  I wept.   God opened the door within 3 months to another church 60 miles away.  The previous church gave a FULL 6 month severance package.  Later, the youth pastor HAD to resign and the worship pastor was shoved out.  After 12 years, they are now back to under 200.  It still grieves me.  I have several friends with whom I'm in contact but we don't discuss this.  I still pray for the church who is on their 3rd pastor since me.  The church was started in 1886 and had become a small regional church, ready to launch 1 or 2 new church plants.  So, before I thought forced resignations were due to at least some pastoral ineffectiveness, but I found out that many pastors are forced to resign who were leading the right way, biblically.  REGARDLESS, the church will prevail and the gates of hell will not.  God has used us in continually pastoral ministry since and still pastoring, now in year 37.  God is faithful even when people are not.

19 hours ago, garymerkel said:

I have personal experience, an ungodly forced resignation in 2011 ...

I'm sorry you went through this, Gary, as well as the triple bypass last year. God has tested you greatly, but you have prevailed over what was done to you. Your faith in Him is stronger. Your trust in Him is stronger. God Himself has brought goodness out of the evil they intended.

In short, you survived the crucible, Gary, and are more pure and beautiful, now.

Praise God that He's using you in the new pastoral ministry! I'm certain you're more effective and sensitive because of what you went through. God only tests those He will use. That's you! 

"Lord, I thank you for this man of Your heart. I thank You that You've pulled him away from the old church and into the next assignment. I thank You that his heart has physically healed. You are a powerful and good God. A gracious God. Lord, I ask that You continue to use and grow Gary's ministry in whatever ways and places You choose. Your will is best. Amen." 

Question #8

Who do the servants sent to collect the landowners share of the crop represent?

God is the landowner. And the servants represent the Old Testament Prophets which also includes John the Baptist.

What happened to Israel who rejected God's servants and Son who were sent to them?

In trying to reach us with his love, God finally sent his own Son. If we ignore God's gracious gift of salvation in which the Israel did they will and have face the rejection of God Himself sending judgment. Many people today in this society is rejecting the gift of salvation for the fleshly things of the world.

Have you ever seen a church reject a pastor or leader that God sends to help them?

I can not say I have encounter a situation like this, but have seen and heard people reject the Good News. However, I was once in a Pentecostal church in which the pastor rejected me. At the time I was married and ask the pastor for advice. He literally told me to find another man and he would stand in front of Pulpit making me feel very uncomfortable with the things that was coming out his mouth. God removed me from there and as of today I have been divorced from this man. I live in Maryland. The Lord has lifted me up as a Bible teacher, wrote a book and currently hold a two year license as a Minister. Living peacefully and joyfully in the eyes of the Lord with my dog. And, I owe it all to the Lord. Yes! have faced many many opposition in this walk but  My God has not forsaken me and has given me Victory. And, at one time I visited a church and was kicked out because I was carrying a Bible...

Why is supporting our pastors and leaders important to God's plan for the church? (Hebrews 13:7, 17)

As the body of Christ we are to support our pastors and leaders, because they play a significant role in the body of Christ. God has chosen them as shepherds to leas the flock. They are part of the Five Fold Ministry. They teach is the Word of God and wants the best for us. There are many good pastors who led us by example through the Word of the Lord's with love and faith. However, there are many pastors who just teach us what the itching ears want to hear. We are to respect and obey our spiritual leaders, because they like us must give an account to the Lord.

In the Beatitudes, how does Jesus encourage those who are rejected and persecute? (Matthew: 5:10-12)

Each beatitude tells us how to be bless by God. Being blessed means more than happy. Being blessed by God means experiencing hope and no matter what the circumstances might be. We are to be joyful in circumstances and pray for those who hurt and persecute you, because "Great Rewards" awaits us. Amen!

They represent all the people God has called to preach the Good News. He says the harvest is plenty but the workers/harvesters are few. We are all called to the Great Commission to go and do the will of God.

God rejected them by scattering them to other nations. Their beautiful land became desolate and not habitable as a sign that God was patient with them by they kept worshiping other gods. Some of the servants were killed including the Son of God as such, Israel had to go through harsh rejection but because God is love, He did not leave them there forever. He restored them to Him again.

Yes I have. In the church which we used to fellowship at, ministers of the Word of God do not last because the congregants want to control the ministers. They do not want to be scolded for doing ungodly things in and outside the church. That made us to leave and we are in a stable and better church since 2006.

Ministers of the Word need to be prayed for and taken good care of bythe congregants. They are called of God and God has put them as Shepherds and us as the sheep. I am reminded by all the churches that Apostle Paul thanked for taking good care of him and the other ministers of the Word.

The Beatitudes remind that when we do good, God does not forget. We may be going through difficult moments in our lives but the reward is greater in heaven. We are encouraged at all times to sow peace so that the world can resemble who God is. We do not have to give up because He who has promised is faithful.

Who do the servants sent to collect the landowner's share of the crop represent? What happened to Israel who rejected God's servants and Son who were sent to them? This is a parable about resisting those whom God sends to us to help us. Have you ever seen a church reject a pastor or leader that God sends to help them? Why is supporting our pastors and leaders important to God's plan for the church? (Hebrews 13:7, 17). In the Beatitudes, how does Jesus encourage those who are rejected and persecuted? (Matthew 5:10-12)?

The prophets, messengers, and finally His Son, Jesus Christ, were the servants God (the landowner), sent to collect His share of the crop. In this parable Jesus was speaking of the nation of Israel that had been carefully prepared by God to be His fruitful vineyard (Isa 5:1-7). And the care of this vineyard (Israel) was to be done by the nation’s religious leaders, but they would not acknowledge God’s right over them and had the prophets and messengers (servants) badly treated. Ultimately, they would even kill His Son. Israel paid a horrible price for killing the Son of God. About 40 years after the crucifixion the Roman army utterly destroyed the city of Jerusalem. A great number of people were killed and enslaved. The destruction is certainly great, and the judgment might seem severe, but then the sin was also great, so the judgment fits the sin. It is better to build our church upon the solid rock of Jesus Christ. This parable teaches us that we need to be careful in resisting or rejecting, for example, those God sends to help us. Any indifference or opposition may result in the Gospel being taken away. Our spiritual health suffers. Supporting our pastors and leaders in their shepherding roles is important in that they are representatives of God in the church. Authority has been given to them and it is up to us to obey them. Remember they will have to give account to God. Their task is to help us grow spiritually in Christ, and to teach us His Word and how to live a life of faith. From 2 Tim 3:12 we can know that all who live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted, but Jesus encourages us in that all who are rejected or persecuted for His sake will be greatly rewarded in heaven.

Q8.The servants were the prophets, apostles and Jesus who were sent by God, who was the vineyard owner. The tenants were the ruling classes of Pharisees and priests who did not believe and were prepared to murder the Lord’s messengers. 
In 70AD Jerusalem was totally destroyed, many were killed and those left were taken prisoners, many of these people were used to entertain the Romans in the arenas of Rome. 
A church cannot function properly unless everyone plays their part. Everyone can contribute something to the smooth running of the church. We must support our Pastors and obey them because they are God’s representative. Even if we would prefer something done a different way, we must submit and go with the consensus. This parable teaches us not to reject or be complacent about those whom God has given to teach guide and direct us. Otherwise there will be consequences. 
As Christian’s we can expect to be persecuted, some of us way more than others. Jesus tells us in the Beatitudes that if we are persecuted for His name sake, great will be our reward in Heaven. 

On 4/21/2023 at 9:05 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Servants, Prophets, Apostles and Jesus Himself.

The utter destruction of Jerusalem by the Romans in 70 AD, the end of the Jewish nation -- even as a self-governing kingdom under the Romans. At the fall of Jerusalem, the temple was destroyed, the city was burned, the walls were pulled down, and perhaps a million or more people were killed during the siege of the city, with another 97,000 people enslaved, many of them dying in the arena as gladiators to entertain the Romans.34 This crushing destruction was terrible evidence of the wrath of God upon his rebellious people.

No, I have not. This has not happened in our church.

We are to support our pastors in prayer.  They have a tough job.  We just have to carry our own problems but they have to counsel and hear everyone's else's problems.  They have to hear from God in order to lead and guide us.  We need to pray that God will keep them and protect them from evil, because there is no one the enemy wants to pull down more than a Pastor.  

Because Jesus Word says,   Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, For theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are you when they revile and persecute you, and say all kinds of evil against you falsely for My sake. Rejoice and be exceedingly glad, for great is your reward in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

1. The servants sent represent the apostles and the prophets. 

2. They will have the kingdom of God taken away from them and given to others. Miserably destroyed 

3. Yes, I have seen churches reject a pastor, and teachers that it seemed certain that the Lord had sent to help them. 

4. Supporting our pastors and leaders is very important for they watch your souls, for they must give an account, and hopefully they will do it with joy, not grief. 

5. Jesus encourages us by assuring us that ours reward will be great in heaven, and that ours is the kingdom of heaven. 

1. The apostles, prophets, and Jesus.

2. God brought them to an end which is destroyed them. Other tenants will be able to rent the vineyard. 

3. Yes, I have.

4. We are to respect them and imitate their faith. Have confidence in our leaders and accept their authority because they watch over our souls. We are not to be an burden to them. 

5. We are blessed even during persecution, the kingdom of heaven is ours. Rejoice and be continuously glad because our reward in heaven is great.     

1. The servants represent the prophets of God, sent to the nation of Israel.

2. After Israel final rejection of God's son. God punished the nation by allowing Rome to destroy the city of Jerusalem and enslave and kill the Israelites. 

3. No, I haven't witnessed a leader or servant of God rejected by a church in my time. But I have witnessed preachers on the streets and evangelists on the streets being rejected and bullied by secular people off the streets. 

4. It's paramount to always support a preacher from a church that is faithfully preaching the correct message of the gospel of Christ JESUS. He is leading them correctly to salvation and acknowledging God and His son JESUS 

5. There is a reward in the kingdom of HEAVEN for the persecuted that shared and defended the word of God like the old prophets of the Old Testament. Praise God!

The servants the landowner sends to collect his share of the crop represent the prophets God sent to His People.  When Israel rejected the prophets and God they would be captured, enslaved, exiled...Psalm 107 describes many such difficulties as the Israelites rebelled, rejected, then remembered to cry out to God who saved them.  I have noticed difficulties between church pastors and congregations; I have never considered it the way you describe here.  The only time I was involved in a church split, we discovered later that the pastor causing division was addicted to **** which shed light on the reason for his continual secretive, covering up, rejecting members on his part. For example, he wanted any musician that walked through the church doors to be on the worship team.  He did not care whether the worship team was believers or not.

I appreciate supporting pastors who pray for me and encourage my growth.  Recently our pastoral team asked how they could pray for my husband and I; I told them and thanked them.  Then I asked how they wanted us to pray for them.  Last week in the bulletin, they told of a pastors' meeting and listed two prayer requests for the pastoral team.  YAY!!!  It is important to support one another as we fellowship because we know 1 Peter 5:8, "... the enemy, the devil, prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour."           

And those persecuted and rejected because of righteousness, Jesus says, "theirs is the Kingdom of Heaven."

On 4/22/2023 at 2:05 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

They represent the prophets and men of God.

They didn't enter into the Kingdom of God as they resisted receiving the message of the gospel by the disciples.

I have seen a church where a pastor was asked to take over the church, as the pastor was retiring. This new pastor was voted out of the church.

It's important to support are leaders as they are doing God's work and need to be encouraged to build his church and have helpers on board. They encourage others and pray for others and seek God's guidance for each sermon with the help of the Holy Spirit.

Jesus accepts the rejected and downtrodden and persecuted as there's is the Kingdom of God.

Who do the servants sent to collect the landowner's share of the crop represent?

What happened to Israel who rejected God's servants and Son who were sent to them?

This is a parable about resisting those whom God sends to us to help us. Have you ever seen a church reject a pastor or leader that God sends to help them?

It's a sad thing.

Why is supporting our pastors and leaders important to God's plan for the church? (Hebrews 13:7, 17).

In the Beatitudes, how does Jesus encourage those who are rejected and persecuted? (Matthew 5:10-12)?

The servants represent the prophets that had been raised up and sent to the nation of Israel over the many years.  

Eventually in 70AD, Jerusalem was utterly destroyed by the Romans  -  the end of the Jewish nation.  The temple was destroyed, the city was burned, the walls pulled down.  Utter destruction.  Possibly > a million people killed during the siege of the city.  A further 97 000 were enslaved.  Many later died as gladiators in the Roman arenas.  

The real leaders are the ones who speak the Word of God, regardless of the outcome.  They are not there to tickle the ears of the congregation.  They are the ones who are responsible for our 'spiritual welfare'.  A workman is worthy of his labour, that is why we should support them.  We should pray for them also.  

Jesus encourages them by telling them that the way they are being dealt with, is on par with the prophets. The result is a great reward in heaven.  

CHALLENGE!!!!!   Does the fruit the Father is looking for in His vineyard reflect in us?????      JUSTICE & RIGHTEOUSNESS.

Q8.

The servants represent the prophets.

·         The Israelites who rejected God’s servants and His Son were punished in different ways, among other ways-through the brutal conquest by Rom in particular.

·         I cannot remember seeing a pastor rejected by any Church.

·         Supporting our Pastors and leaders is very important to God’s plan for the church because such support ensures peace and harmony that is necessary for spiritual and physical growth of the church.

·         Jesus encourages those who are rejected and persecuted that they should be comforted as they were blessed because of such persecution.

The servants represent the prophets and apostles.  Destruction of Jerusalem.  I have heard of churches rejecting their Pastor but never experienced it.  If pastors and leaders are truly sent by God we should support them anyway we can.  God has a plan for the church that will be fulfilled if we follow the man of God.  They are encourage because God is saying they will be blessed.

• 4 weeks later...

Q8. (Matthew 21:33-46) Who do the servants sent to collect the landowner's share of the crop represent? The prophets prior to Jesus ministry, perhaps back father than the 400 years but at least those to Hosea and Malachi

What happened to Israel who rejected God's servants and Son who were sent to them? Those who heard and received Jesus, the sect of Jews that were and believers known as ‘the way’ and departed Jerusalem.  Those that did not heed the warning died in the Roman 67-70AD destruction of Jerusalem and its population. ‘In three days.. not one stone stone will be remain’..and so it was.

This is a parable about resisting those whom God sends to us to help us. Have you ever seen a church reject a pastor or leader that God sends to help them? Yes a few and it did not end well for them. One died of cancer in prison after going public with something God was dealing with and wanted kept still.  One decided to build a fancy church not expand his outreach from the storefront building. Cancer again, gone in months.. One was fleecing the flock. Fancy cars, etc etc. After a warning disreguarded God removed the demographic population which was his church body by moving that major group to another state. He was bankrupt without church, house, or car within two years. He now assists two other ministries as an assistant.

Why is supporting our pastors and leaders important to God's plan for the church? (Hebrews 13:7, 17). No one is perfect. All of us gain wisdom and maturity more by error and recovery than doing it right the first time. Doing it right seems to generate the self pat on the back, not humility for the blessing.  We should always be support in prayer for those annointed to lead. Stand by them as they too walk the believers walk each step of the way. Moses needed his arms supported for the duration of the battle. We should be that service to those anointed we serve. Both when the going is good and when it is recover and gain wisdom from correction. That is love.

In the Beatitudes, how does Jesus encourage those who are rejected and persecuted? (Matthew 5:10-12)? All is the seed planting principle.  If we will give the Lord an offering of our sickness, disease, lack, poverty. And in faith trust Him to honor our heart to give from what we have….. the He will reward us with heavenly blessings far better than our poor offerings. He delights in faith which follows His leading.

• 3 weeks later...

The servants that were sent to collect the landowner’s share of the crops represent the Prophets. Then Israel, who rejected God’s servants, were to be thrown out of the vineyard and destroyed.

I have seen a church reject a pastor or leader that God had sent to help them. Unless a pastor or leader has the support of the congregation, they are almost helpless in spreading the work of God. In the Beatitudes, Jesus encouraged those who are rejected and persecuted by saying the they will first in the Kingdom of God.

• 3 weeks later...

Q8. (Matthew 21:33-46) Who do the servants sent to collect the landowner's share of the crop represent? 
The servants sent represent all the prophets that God had sent to speak the word to the people. They rejected the prophets.

They were scattered amongst other nations and destroyed by the Roman Empire.

I have not seen this my self but I have heard about it.

Why is supporting our pastors and leaders important to God's plan for the church? (Hebrews 13:7, 17).  
Pastors and leaders of the church need our support in order for them to get the word of God to the masses. 

Jesus encourages those who are rejected and persecuted to take heart because he has over come the world.