JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q13. Two Sons

Q13. (Matthew 21:28-31) Which son represents the tax collectors and prostitutes? Why do you think so? Why is it harder to actually obey, rather than just mouth the words? How is the lesson of this parable similar to the lesson of the Parable of the Wise and Foolish Builders? (Matthew 7:24-27) Why is actual obedience essential to true discipleship?

• 4 months later...
On 4/22/2023 at 1:12 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q13. (Matthew 21:28-31) Which son represents the tax collectors and prostitutes? Why do you think so? Why is it harder to actually obey, rather than just mouth the words? How is the lesson of this parable similar to the lesson of the Parable of the Wise and Foolish Builders? (Matthew 7:24-27) Why is actual obedience essential to true discipleship?

The first son represents the tax collectors and prostitutes. The first son changes his mind of rebellion, he repented by does what he father asked him to do. It is harder to actually obey rather than just mouth words because to is putting in practice of what we heard or read than just saying it. 

The Parable is more similar because both are of active or obeying the words by practicing the same. 

To actual obedience is very essential to the true disciples because that is the evidence and proof of the discipleship. 

Q13. (Matthew 21:28-31)

Which son represents the tax collectors and prostitutes? Why do you think so?

They are the 1st son... they, by their very lifestyles, initially rejected God's Law... but when they met Jesus, their eyes were opened and they walked in obedience to Him

Why is it harder to actually obey, rather than just mouth the words?

Because obeying ALWAYS requires us to give up something we love and enjoy.  Whether that be our time, our reputation, our money, our possessions or our strength... we often think, "I wish I were as obedient as "him" or "her", they are so connected to God".  But... our only excuse for not being like them is that we put ourselves and our desires before God's.  There's nothing that makes that person special except their devotion to doing what God asks them to do.  The strength we see is God's strength working through them... not theirs... the Peace we see is God's Peace... not theirs... the Joy we see is God's Joy... not theirs... all the Good Fruit we see coming from them is God's Fruit... not theirs... and Jesus tells us it's ours for the taking... we just need to commit to connecting ourselves to the Vine and live out the Vines Will each and every day.

How is the lesson of this parable similar to the lesson of the Parable of the Wise and Foolish Builders? (Matthew 7:24-27)

Our lives and words must be real... truthful... We must stand firm on God's Word... obeying it and making it a part of our lives... we are an extension of Him and His House... we are not to be building our own houses... when we build our own houses, our own reputations, then we spend our lives protecting them... but when we build our lives on Jesus and His reputation... we no longer feel the need to protect ourselves but instead we are free from that burden and are able to spend our lives Glorifying Him and living for Him alone.

Why is actual obedience essential to true discipleship?

Because Jesus said, "If you love me, you will obey my commands."  Only Christ knows how to build His church... only He knows what needs to be done and where... only He has the blueprints... How can we call Him Lord and King if we don't choose to live under His Lord and Kingship?  My life is no longer mine... it belongs to Jesus... I can only say this with honesty if the actions in my life live up to the words from my mouth.

The first son.

I think so because like the tax collectors and prostitutes, the first son knows he’s doing wrong, (sin) and feels regret for his action and went to work like he was told to do. Likewise the tax collectors and prostitutes believed John’s message of repentance for their sinful lifestyles.

It often requires action on our part and sometimes we need to swallow our pride and change direction and do the right thing.

I guess what stands out to me is that in both parables, making a good decision and being faithful to follow through with it is necessary.

To can’t be a disciple without obedience. John 14:15, “If you love me, keep My commandments.”

The first son represents the tax collectors and prostitutes 

Be even though the son rebelled and said that he would not work, but after he thought about it he repented and went and done the work anyhow. The tax collectors and prostitutes had rebelled against the law but after hearing the word of Christ repented and obeyed the Lord. 

Words are easy to speak, it takes little effort, it presents good intentions, and makes you look good at the time. But it takes more effort, and greater faith to obey, it takes action. 1 John 4 says let us not love in word or tongue, but in deed and in truth. 

In both parables you have to be willing to take action and dig deep in doing what is right, obey.

James says faith without works is dead being alone. We cannot truly serve the Lord without obedience. Jesus asked why do you call me Lord,Lord and not keep my commandments. If we want to enter into the kingdom of God we need to obey His words. 

Which son represents the tax collectors and prostitutes? Why do you think so? Why is it harder to actually obey, rather than just mouth the words? How is the lesson of this parable similar to the lesson of the Parable of the Wise and Foolish Builders? (Matthew 7:24-27) Why is actual obedience essential to true discipleship?

The first son represents the tax collectors and prostitutes. They, like this son, initially refused to obey, but later regretted not doing so, and changed their mind. Being counted as the worst of sinners, they could repent and accept Jesus as their Saviour. Therefore, living a life of obedience they would be allowed entrance into the kingdom of God. The religious leaders who did not repent and believe would be denied entrance. They stood condemned, and must have been stunned on hearing that despised, immoral people such as tax collectors and prostitutes were entering the kingdom and they, the religious leaders, were not! It is much easier to give a false impression of obedience than actually obeying commandments. In the same way the Foolish Builders make promises but had no intention of carrying them out. True repentance results in obedience to the gospel and to our Lord Jesus which is a distinctive feature of a true disciple.

In the Parable of the Two Sons , the son who initially refused to work in the vineyard but later obeyed represents the tax collectors and prostitutes,  because,  they were living in disobedience to God's commandments but eventually repented and turned to follow God.

It is often harder to actually obey rather than just mouth the words because genuine obedience requires a change in behavior and commitment, not just empty words or intentions. It's easy to say we will do something, but following through with actions can be challenging.
Talk is cheap , but walking the talk is something else altogether.

It's about the heart, our mouth may say all the right things but our hearts may be far from the Lord. We might be able to fool people but not the Lord!

The lesson of this parable is similar to the Parable of the Wise and Foolish Builders in that both emphasize the importance of putting Jesus' teachings into practice. 

Hearers and Doers of His Word ❤️ 

For the kingdom of God does not consist in talk but in power.
1 Corinthians 4:20

Even the Power to obey His leading comes from the HolySpirit🙏🏽

1. The first son represents the tax collectors and prostitutes.

2. The tax collectors and prostitutes believed what John presented to them. At first they did not, but later believed the word of God.

3. The tongue is trouble and deadly along with lying because it is not from the heart. Action is from the heart and putting forth an effort to obey.

4. The wise put forth and effort to stand on obeying the word of God. The foolish is just allowing weakness to succeed and cause them to fail.

5. God is not a fake or pushing for wrong, compromising, and allowing something wrong to succeed. He is true and wants his followers to be true. He wants his followers to look for good in life to be blessed and express being an example to draw others.

Which son represents the tax collectors and prostitutes? Why do you think so? The first son,  because though they lived sinful lives in the beginning yet when they had an encounter with Jesus they immediately repent and chose to obey Him and follow him.

Why is it harder to actually obey, rather than just mouth the words?  obedience requires us to actually put into practice the commands, it is painful and cuts our flesh to humble ourselves and not do our will but the will of the Father.  Obedience is the result of true repentance and the mark of a true disciple of Jesus.

How is the lesson of this parable similar to the lesson of the Parable of the Wise and Foolish Builders? (Matthew 7:24-27) Why is actual obedience essential to true discipleship?  Obedience is God's command and a sign that we love God. John 14:15 - “If you love me, you will keep my commandments.

Actual obedience is not just doing what is right but thinking what is right. It's far easier to remove oneself from temptation than remove the temptation from oneself.

Being a disciple, I'm discovering, is all about what I think. What I do naturally follows what I think, so discipleship isn't doing the right things, miming Jesus and giving everything away, but having a mind like that of Jesus, being remade into His image and not wanting anything that inhibits my relationship with Him.

"... renounce the hidden things of shame..." 

The first son because he refused to obey the instructions of his father but upon realizing that he did something wrong, he went and did as his father had asked him to do.

It is easy to talk but obedience speaks to issues of the heart. People may impress others by talking as words can fool us but the actions will say something else. It is better to do than to talk. Rather, live the life that gives God the honor through your thoughts, actions and words.

The second son who promised his father than he will do and ended up doing nothing is like the foolish builder who built his house on the sand and ended up losing everything. The first one is likened to the wise builder because he remembered maybe all the good things that his father did for him and obeyed.

We are called to be obedient to the voice of God. Like the sheep that knows the voice of the Shepherd we must be obedient and be able to hear the small, still voice when God speaks to us. Obedience requires that we spend time with God so that He can show us great and mighty things that we did not know.

The 1st son is like the tax collectors and the prostitutes, who were rebellious in the beginning but  regretted, repented, of their wrong doing, and acted rightly in the end. They obeyed in the end and accomplished what is expected of them, to believe in the messaih, Jesus Christ, whom the pharisees had the knowledge in their teachings, but didn't accomplish it as they first expected His coming.

Walking the talk is always harder, needs perseverance, wisdom, and persistence to act accordingly. Obeying is doing not talking, lip service, and requires you to stride steps that cost our effort in time and space.

Both teach us about obedience. Jesus said, why you call me Lord, Lord when you are not obeying what I say and put it in practice. Obeying him means doing what he says and this anchors our faith on rock foundation that holds us in position whatever blows hard to move us away from where need to remain steadfast.

Therefore, we have to make sure that we are obeying and accomplishing the duties we bear becuase of our believing in Jesus who died for our sin beyond being called his desciples. In this way our discipleship stands firm thought true obedience. 

The disobedient son who then obeys the Father = the tax collectors and prostitutes.  God's love and relationship was always there for them, but they were rebellious and refused to obey; later, they came to repent and follow.  Mouthing words is almost effortless, putting our feet to action is another thing altogether--we live what we believe. Similar to the Wise and Foolish Builders, both parables emphasize (while neither proclaim outright) the lack of foundation.  We need to be FOUNDED on the rock of Jesus in order to have the Holy Spirit in us helping us to obey.  To truly be a disciple, we need to live as Jesus lived.  "We know that we have come to know Him, if we keep His commands.  Whoever says, "I know Him," but does not do what He commands is a liar, and the truth is not in that person.  But if anyone obeys His word, love for God is truly made complete in them.  This is how we know we are in Him:  Whoever claims to live in Him must live as Jesus did." John 2:3-6 

Q13. (Matthew 21:28-31)

Which son represents the tax collectors and prostitutes? Why do you think so?

How is the lesson of this parable similar to the lesson of the Parable of the Wise and Foolish Builders? (Matthew 7:24-27)

The son who first said he would not go and later changed his mind.

Jesus' ministry followed on from John's ministry.  The tax collectors, harlots and other religious outcasts had at first rejected  anything to do with God . They were not part of the followers of God at all.  They also were in the crowds listening to John.  Many of them repented and then did become followers of God.  First in listening to and following what John preached.  Then being baptized and later becoming followers and disciples of Jesus.  

A habit is hard to break.  It is easier to just listen and not do, but listening without actions helps nothing.  It is like sitting at table ready for a meal.  Just seeing the food will not get it eaten and still anyone's hunger .  (Action) Picking it up and actually eating it is necessary to still the hunger.  Just so hearing words and not   putting them into actions helps nothing.

The son who said he would work in the vineyard but did not is like one rejecting Jesus' teaching.  The builder who did not build on the right foundation is in a similar plight.  He heard but did not obey what he heard.  He did his own thing.  

The son   who  did go and work in the vineyard also heard the message and after humming and haaing actually put into practice what he heard is like the builder who did build on a solid foundation.

Who are we as disciples following? Surely obedience to the Master is essential.

The one we are obedient to is the one we are disciples of.

Q13. Two Sons (Matthew 21:28-31) Which son represents the tax collectors and prostitutes?

ANSWER: The tax collectors and prostitutes were represented by the first son in the parable. The leaders of Israel represent the second son who claimed obedience but didn't respect or follow the will of the father.

Why do you think so?

ANSWER: Because as in the parable, the first son was disrespectful and noncompliant in his initial response to his father, but he then ended up obeying his father’s request. So the tax collectors, prostitutes, and other sinners repented when they heard the gospel message from Jesus and John, just as the first son.

ANSWER: We find it difficult to obey and listen  because we are sinners that are full of pride, are scared of rejection, or do not completely trust God.

How is the lesson of this parable similar to the lesson of the Parable of the Wise and Foolish Builders?

ANSWER: The parables of Two Builders and the Two Sons have a similar lesson, namely obedience. Obedience is shown through actions, not just words. When a person builds his life on Jesus' words he is building a strong foundation. You can do nothing wiser than to obey the Lord. Lip service, (saying “YES” with your mouth but saying “NO” in your heart and by your actions. It is honoring  God with your lips when your heart is far from him), is no substitute.

(Matthew 7:24-27) Why is actual obedience essential to true discipleship?

ANSWER: Obedience so important to God because by obeying in all things, even the mundane, you are showing God that you are willing and able to obey whatever He asks of you. I Obedience to God is not only a way to worship him, but a way to get closer to him, prepare for whatever he leads you to and grow as a person.

A13.

To me, the tax collectors and the prostitutes do not fit any of the two sons because they heard and complied by accepting and obeying Jesus right away.

Obedience to the Word is usually difficult because it requires sacrifice in time and forgoing some worldly pleasures etc.

On 4/21/2023 at 9:12 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

The first son.

Because after saying no, he thought about it and changed his mind, which he eventfully did and went to work in the vineyard.

It is harder to obey because of our pride, we need to believe, step out in faith and believe that God will reward us for our obedience. It is easy to say we will do something and not follow through. But to obey is difficult because it is going against our will.  We need to say - Is it God's will or my will?

It is similar because it is being obedient to what God Word..

Hearing from God through His Word and fellowship with Him is essential to true discipleship.

On 10/6/2022 at 7:32 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q14. (Luke 23:39-43) How does the story of the thief on the cross illustrate salvation by faith? How does it show the triumph of grace over sin to those who don’t deserve it?

The one criminal feared and believed God, and in honoring Him, Jesus said today you will be with me in paradise. 

God is merciful and gives grace to all who receive Him even though we don't deserve it. Where sin abounds, grace does much more abound.

On 4/22/2023 at 2:12 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

The first son as he disobeys at first but then changes his mind and does what his father wants him to do. Natural to do one's own will and be disobedient. By just mouthing the words is not putting things into practice. It is similar as the first son was disobedient to start with and changed his mind, the wise men built the house on the right foundation. The second son said he was going to help but changed his mind and therefore was lazy like the foolish men who did things in a rush.

Obedience is essential to true discipleship to be a true witness to others. Loving one another and helping each other.

On 4/21/2023 at 9:12 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

The first son, because they went to be baptized.

That would mean doing.

Because the Pharisees rejected what God sent to them to receive.

We must go and do what God tells us, to follow him.

• 4 weeks later...

Q13. (Matthew 21:28-31) Which son represents the tax collectors and prostitutes? The second.

Why do you think so? Because they saw butcdid not act to recieve. They observed without actual belief.

Why is it harder to actually obey, rather than just mouth the words? Because act is facing the next skill to be learned. With its bumbling, mistakes, reworking, and correction. Skilled workmen succeed through their apprenticship. Building skill. It is a new life walk to learn. Abandoning the familiar old is never easy.

Because of the needed attention to detail for a campleted good foundation.

Why is actual obedience essential to true discipleship? It is the only skill builder in the new life.

• 3 weeks later...

I think that the first son that did what the father asked are the tax collectors and prostitutes in this parable. They did what Jesus had told them to do and they repented. It is harder to actually obey because we have to do something. If we just mouth something then we don’t have to take any action. This lesson can be compared to the Parable of the Wise and Foolish Builders because neither is following Jesus commands.

• 3 weeks later...

Q13. (Matthew 21:28-31) Which son represents the tax collectors and prostitutes?  

The first son represents the tax collects and the prostitutes, at first he didn’t want to do what his father asked of him but then he got up and did it.

Why do you think so?

He was rebellious at first but then changed his mind and did what his father asked of him.

It’s easier to just not do something than to have to say you’re not going to obey.

How is the lesson of this parable similar to the lesson of the Parable of the Wise and Foolish Builders? (Matthew 7:24-27)  The foolish builders didn’t put into practice the words they heard Jesus speak. It went in one ear and out the other never planting the seed, so they built their house on sand. The Pharisees have not only heard Jesus preach they have seen him perform miracles signs and wonders and yet they still don’t believe He’s the Son of God.

I order to have a relationship with God we’ve have to first believe he is real, that Jesus is real and alive. An in order to do that you have to be in the word which takes obedience to understand it and stick with it.