JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q26. Bread and Wine

• 5 months later...

Q26(Matthews 26:26-29;1 Corinthians 11:23-26)How do the bread and wine reminds us of Jesus sacrifice for our sins?In what way when we partake of the Lord's Supper ,do we proclaim the Lord's deaths until he comes?

Bread and wines reminds us of Jesus death and ressurection. 

When we eat Lord's Supper we are proclaiming the Lord's death until he comes

Q26. (Matthew 26:26-29; 1 Corinthians 11:23-26)

How do the bread and wine remind us of Jesus' sacrifice for our sins?

Because Jesus sacrificed His body and His blood for us.  As He broke the bread and handed it to each of His disciples, we see how His body was beaten beyond recognition for our sake.  As He passed around the wine we see His Blood flowing from His wounds as He hung from the cross.  Watching the Passion of the Christ has etched in my mind the lengths my Savior went through for me and each time I take the Lord's Supper, I relive His sacrifice.  Noone would do for me what my Savior did for me and as if my sins weren't enough... He had the sins of the entire world cast upon Him... What a wonderful Savior we serve!

In what way, when we partake of the Lord's Supper, do we “proclaim the Lord’s death until he comes” (1 Corinthians 11:26)?

When we participate in the Lord's Supper, we are proclaiming our belief in the gospel of Christ... 

It is a reminder that Jesus Christ gave His body to be crucified for our sins so that we may all be forgiven of all the sins we have and will commit. The blood reminds us that we have been washed and are now able to approach the Throne of Grace with confidence because we have received mercy. Each time we sin, we must know that we crucify Christ over and over again and as His children, we must be mindful of that.

We actually proclaim that we will hold on to the Truth that Jesus Christ gave His Life for as and He alone is the Way, the Truth and the Life and that we will not serve any other gods but the Giver of Life. We proclaim the Resurrection because when Christ comes back, the dead will be resurrected and those who will be living then and believe in Him will be taken to be with Him.

A26.

Each time we take the Holy Communion, we would recall that Jesus Christ suffered and died on the cross for our salvation. The bread represents his bruise and pierced body and the wine represents his blood that was shed on the cross for me and all believers in Jesus Christ.

The bread represents the body of Christ that was broken for us: and the wine represents the blood of the Lord Jesus Christ that He shed for us on the cross for the cleansing of our sins.

So that everytime we partake of the bread and the wine, we do this in the remembrance of what Christ did for us; how that He died for us on that cross so that we can be saved. 

How do the bread and wine remind us of Jesus' sacrifice for our sins? In what way, when we partake of the Lord's Supper, do we "proclaim the Lord's death until He comes" (1 Corinthians 11:26)? 

In the old covenant, the forgiveness of sin demanded the shedding of the blood of a spotless lamb (Exodus 24:6-8). Now, in the new covenant between God and us, Jesus offered Himself as the spotless Lamb of God; shed His precious blood as a final sacrifice that would forgive sin once and for all. Of course, the bread and wine were representative of His body and blood. The Lord’s Supper was instituted so that we would remember our Lord Jesus Christ our Saviour in His death. By partaking of the Lord’s Supper, we celebrate its message of humiliation, as our Lord humbled Himself in obedience to God by dying on a cross. And its subsequent message of exaltation, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth (Phil 2:6-10). We proclaim both Jesus’ death and His return. We look forward to the day when He shall return and we shall be forever with the Lord. Come Lord Jesus, come.

Q26. Bread and Wine (Matthew 26:26-29; 1 Corinthians 11:23-26)

How does the bread and wine remind us of Jesus' sacrifice for our sins?

ANSWER: The bread and cup represent His death on the cross.

The bread is connected to His body. The bread is broken as it was distributed to be eaten shows that His body is broken, an image of His death on the cross. The bread not only points us to Jesus on the cross, it also points back to the Passover deliverance.

The cup is connected to His blood. The cup is poured out when they drank it shows that His blood is poured out, an image of His death on the cross. The cup not only points us to Jesus on the cross, it also points back to the covenant ceremony at Sinai.

In what way, when we partake of the Lord's Supper, do we "proclaim the Lord's death until He comes" (1 Corinthians 11:26)?

ANSWER: The Lord’s Supper is actually an act of proclamation (looks forward, in hope, to the world to come). There are six ways we can "proclaim the Lord's death until He comes":

1). look around and restore (addressing divisions in the body of Christ);

2). look back and remember “do this to remember Me” He is telling us to think about the sacrifice He paid, the pain He went through for us, the greatness of Him taking up the cross that should have been for us. He wants us to remember this because it reminds us of how much He loves us);

3). look without and reach (reminds us to reach out and proclaim Christ to those around us);

4). look ahead and rejoice (brings our attention to the fact that someday Christ will return to gather His people together);

5). look within and repent (use the Lord’s Supper as a time of examination. Examine your salvation, relationships, and attitude); and

6). look up and renew (a reminder to us that we are in covenant with the Lord).

Q26. (Matthew 26:26-29; 1 Corinthians 11:23-26) How do the bread and wine remind us of Jesus' sacrifice for our sins? In what way, when we partake of the Lord's Supper, do we “proclaim the Lord’s death until he comes” (1 Corinthians 11:26)?

1. Jesus said for us to "Do this in remembrance of me" and he was talking about communion. The blood should remind us of being poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins. The bread should remind us of Jesus's body being broken for us on the cross. The bread and blood are to remind us of Jesus' blood.

2. We are to take the Lord's Supper seriously by repenting and asking for forgiveness then be sure to do it in remembrance of Jesus as he said in Luke 21:19. We should remember his body was bruised and pierced for us. His blood on the cross was shed for our sins. That he also died for our sins to be forgiven.

Q26. The bread that we take at the Lord’s Table represents the broken pierced body of Jesus, as He was tortured and crucified for us. He did this so that we could have forgiveness for our sins and the opportunity to spend eternity in His presence. The wine/ juice we take represents the precious blood of Christ shed for us as Jesus was brutalised and nailed to the cross. He allowed this to happen to him so we could have forgiveness of sin and eternity in heaven. Jesus was being obedient to His Father’s wishes, as He was the only one good enough, and without sin to be able to redeem us. 
Every time we partake in the Lord’s table we are demonstrating our belief in the Lord Jesus and all He has done for us. We will continue to do this as we wait in hopeful anticipation of the Lord’s return. 

Q26. (Matthew 26:26-29; 1 Corinthians 11:23-26) How do the bread and wine remind us of Jesus' sacrifice for our sins? In what way, when we partake of the Lord's Supper, do we "proclaim the Lord's death until he comes" (1 Corinthians 11:26)?

They remind us of Jesus’s body and His blood. Of His life, death and resurrection and all that He had done for us and all mankind. That He took the punishment for our sins so we could be forgiven and rightly related to God.

As we take communion, we remember what Jesus did, knowing that afterwards He ascended into Heaven and is at the right hand of the Father. When He returns the whole world will know; until then we remember Him and all He has done.

Q26. (Matthew 26:26-29; 1 Corinthians 11:23-26) How do the bread and wine remind us of Jesus' sacrifice for our sins? In what way, when we partake of the Lord's Supper, do we “proclaim the Lord’s death until he comes” (1 Corinthians 11:26)? 

Bread and wine remind us of Jesus' sacrifice for our sins because these are the items He used to speak that lesson to His disciples at the Last Supper.  He used those real items and His followers did not forget and recorded the Last Supper so that all followers of Jesus would know about it also.  In Luke 22:17-19, Jesus used the elements of bread and wine to foretell and explain His death to His closest friends. He commanded, "Do this in remembrance of Me."  He wanted us to always remember: HIS body was broken in our place; HIS blood was poured out for our forgiveness.  By using such common items, He gave us a strong way to remember what He has done for us.  In holding up the cup, Jesus told His disciples that He would not drink from the cup until it found fulfillment in the Kingdom of God. When we participate in the Lord's Supper we are active in His death, resurrection, and return.

Two items are used in the Holy Communion—the bread which represents Jesus’ body that was scourged and broken before and during His crucifixion, and the cup which represents His shed blood.

When Jesus walked on earth, He was vibrant, and His body was full of life and health. He was never sick. But before Jesus went to the cross, He was badly scourged by the Roman soldiers, and His body was torn as He hung on the cross.

At the cross, God also took all our sicknesses and diseases and put them on Jesus’ originally perfect and healthy body, so that we can walk in divine health. That is why the Bible says by His stripes, we are healed (Isaiah 53:5, 1 Peter 2:24).

In Luke 22:20, Jesus tells us that the cup is the “new covenant in My blood”, and the apostle Paul tells us that the blood of Jesus brings forgiveness of sins (Colossians 1:14, Ephesians 1:7)

Jesus loving instruction is that we are to remember Him as we partake of the Holy Communion. Jesus wanted us conscious of how His body was broken for our wholeness, and His blood was shed for the forgiveness of our sins. And whenever we partake in this consciousness, we “proclaim the Lord’s death till He comes” (1 Corinthians 11:26).

Today, when we partake of the bread, we are declaring that Jesus’ health and divine life flows in our mortal bodies. And when we partake of the cup, we are declaring that we are forgiven and have been made righteous. Jesus’ blood gives us right standing before God, and we can go boldly into God’s presence (Hebrews 4:16). When we pray, we can be sure that God hears us!

How do the bread and wine remind us of Jesus' sacrifice for our sins? In what way, when we partake of the Lord's Supper, do we “proclaim the Lord’s death until he comes” (1 Corinthians 11:26)? 

The bread and wine re-present a sacrifice. Jesus had been that sacrifice. His body and blood had been sacrificed for our sins just as, in the Old Testament, a lamb or other animal was sacrificed. Jesus was the last sacrifice. Henceforth, we remember what He had done, but do not need to do it again.

I disagree with my denomination (Anglican) and agree with Pastor Ralph about the representative nature of the eucharist. When we take the bread and wine, we do so as a solemn recollection of an event that happened two thousand years ago, the death of Jesus. We also recall His resurrection and how Jesus' death marked the end of eternal death for those who believe, that is, forgiveness of sin.

Jesus wanted to make His upcoming death the center of our thinking and believing before He died. The eucharist is one way that the death of Jesus becomes central in our thought -- we "recall" and "reenact" the death of Jesus with the body and blood ... the bread and wine. I do wonder if the bread and wine are graphic enough to recall the horror of what happened and the subsequent glory of the resurrection. At times, it seems a bit sanitized. Yet for those who know God's story as told in the Bible, the eucharist can have great meaning. 

Proclaiming, in this case, involves physically reenacting a ritual that symbolizes His death so that the meaning of His death can be made clearer, both to us and to secular individuals.

I very much like this description by Elizabeth. The bread represents Jesus' health and divine life, she writes. I never thought of it this way and appreciate this comment.

11 hours ago, Elizabeth Kuruvilla said:

Today, when we partake of the bread, we are declaring that Jesus’ health and divine life flows in our mortal bodies. And when we partake of the cup, we are declaring that we are forgiven and have been made righteous. Jesus’ blood gives us right standing before God, and we can go boldly into God’s presence (Hebrews 4:16). When we pray, we can be sure that God hears us!

How do the bread and wine remind us of Jesus' sacrifice for our sins?

In what way, when we partake of the Lord's Supper, do we "proclaim the Lord's death until He comes" (1 Corinthians 11:26)?

A spotless sacrifice was needed for the forgiving of sins.

The matzos made without yeast (yeast being a symbol of sin) symbolizes a life without sin.  When we partake of it we break it.  Jesus' s body was broken for us.  The 
wine which symbolizes blood, which in turn symbolizes life,  symbolizes Christ's blood poured out for my sins.  When I use the "Bread and the Wine", I am thus reminded of what Christ did for me on the cross of Calvary.  He was the Perfect Sacrifice for me.        

In this way by partaking of the bread and the wine , we remind ourselves continually that it was the Lord's death that has made it possible that we are forgiven.

Q.26 (Matthew 26:26-29) (1 Cor. 11:23-26)

The bread represents the broken body of Christ. The wine represents the blood of Jesus that was shed on the Cross for us.

The wine and the bread in communion represents the blood and body of Jesus that was poured out and broken as a sacrifice for our gift of salvation. 

When we partake of the Lord's Supper we are accepting that Jesus died for us. His death brings salvation to any person who accepts them as their Lord and Savior. Through Jesus death it brought Jews and Gentiles, men, women and freed people and slaves. We as believers at every meal should remember Christ's death until He comes again. And, It's soon!

On 4/21/2023 at 11:29 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

The Bread as the body of Christ(which went to the cross) the wine as the Blood that Jesus shed for us.

We recognize Jesus as our Lord and Savior who died for us and will come again.

Q26. (Matthew 26:26-29; 1 Corinthians 11:23-26) How do the bread and wine remind us of Jesus' sacrifice for our sins?

If we are being scriptural and doing communion in rememberance of Jesus body being broken for us and his blood shed for us.. then we are repeating a family tradition of Christs earthly family. Bonding with the provision of a sacrifice for us.

In what way, when we partake of the Lord's Supper, do we "proclaim the Lord's death until he comes" (1 Corinthians 11:26)? We are performing an act of remembrance. Taking part in honoring His provision of eternal life with him by him.

On 4/21/2023 at 11:29 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

He wanted us to remember his dying on the cross for us for forgiveness of our sins.  On the night of the last supper Jesus took bread, gave thanks and broke it and gave it to his disciples, 

While they were eating, Jesus took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to his disciples, saying, 'Take and eat; this is my body.'7 Then he took the cup, gave thanks and offered it to them, saying, Drink from it, all of you.  This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.   I tell you, I will not drink of this fruit of the vine from now on until that day when I drink it anew with you in my Father's kingdom.'" (Matthew 26:26-29)

Q26. (Matthew 26:26-29; 1 Corinthians 11:23-26) How do the bread and wine remind us of Jesus' sacrifice for our sins?

If we are being scriptural and doing communion in rememberance of Jesus body being broken for us and his blood shed for us.. then we are repeating a family tradition of Christs earthly family. Bonding with the provision of a sacrifice for us.

In what way, when we partake of the Lord's Supper, do we "proclaim the Lord's death until he comes" (1 Corinthians 11:26)? We are performing an act of remembrance. Taking part in honoring His provision of eternal life with him by him.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/22/2023 at 4:29 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

The bread is symbolised as his body broken for us and the wine represents his blood. He did this to cleans us from all our sins. To remind us, what a sacrifice he made for us.

By taking the lord's supper we are taking this until he returns and to remind us of what he has done for us.

• 2 weeks later...

The way that the bread and wine remind us of Jesus’ sacrifice for our sins is because after they had supper, He broke the bread and told them that they were to remember Him for the sacrifice that he had made. The same is with the wine. By participating in the communion, we are proclaiming the Lord’s death until he comes back.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/7/2023 at 6:11 PM, Krissi said:

How do the bread and wine remind us of Jesus' sacrifice for our sins? In what way, when we partake of the Lord's Supper, do we “proclaim the Lord’s death until he comes” (1 Corinthians 11:26)? 

The bread and wine re-present a sacrifice. Jesus had been that sacrifice. His body and blood had been sacrificed for our sins just as, in the Old Testament, a lamb or other animal was sacrificed. Jesus was the last sacrifice. Henceforth, we remember what He had done, but do not need to do it again.

I disagree with my denomination (Anglican) and agree with Pastor Ralph about the representative nature of the eucharist. When we take the bread and wine, we do so as a solemn recollection of an event that happened two thousand years ago, the death of Jesus. We also recall His resurrection and how Jesus' death marked the end of eternal death for those who believe, that is, forgiveness of sin.

Jesus wanted to make His upcoming death the center of our thinking and believing before He died. The eucharist is one way that the death of Jesus becomes central in our thought -- we "recall" and "reenact" the death of Jesus with the body and blood ... the bread and wine. I do wonder if the bread and wine are graphic enough to recall the horror of what happened and the subsequent glory of the resurrection check out this website. At times, it seems a bit sanitized. Yet for those who know God's story as told in the Bible, the eucharist can have great meaning. 

Proclaiming, in this case, involves physically reenacting a ritual that symbolizes His death so that the meaning of His death can be made clearer, both to us and to secular individuals.

I very much like this description by Elizabeth. The bread represents Jesus' health and divine life, she writes. I never thought of it this way and appreciate this comment.

Hi. I was wandering how much wine is not to much? The following from the Bible indicates that it’s ok to have some: Psalm 104:15 "... wine that makes glad the heart of man... " 1 Timothy 5:23 Stop drinking only water, and use a little wine because of your stomach and your frequent illnesses. And of course there are verses that say that it’s a sin to drink much: Ephesians 5:18 18 Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit, So, if it’s to make your heart glad that means that in my case I would need maybe three glasses of wine. I am around 140kg, 42 years old with a biggish build. But the question remains how often? I would say not more than once a week. I have had more than once a week lately and hopefully I pull up and cut back. I write this because I like a bit of wine, I only drink red wine and no other alcoholic drink. Now the above verses mention wine, not whisky, bear, etc. So does that mean we should only drink wine? I think so since strong alcoholic drinks like vodka for instance are a bit to strong therefore to easy to have to much. Anyway, I am very much so interested in others understandings. Thanks

Hi Lewis. I just got online to do my daily question on another forum and saw this question. Lets think through this together.  

In the Christian life, we constantly negotiate the way we live within our societies. How we engage the dominant culture is contingent on the degree to which we allow the Spirit to mitigate our weaknesses and protect us from ourselves and the enemy. We are not to morally compromise and yet, at the same time, we are not to make a big deal out of things that God doesn't condemn.

When we are young Christians, we see the world in black or white. At that time of life, there are no morally ambiguous decisions, or so we think. As we mature, however, some -- but not all -- behaviors fall into the grey zone. As a woman, for example, I know I'm to be modest -- does this include yoga pants? Do I have to wear long sleeves, a little bow around my neck and a skirt to the floor or is a bit of cleavage allowed? I draw the line at the point where my conscience is piqued. This is the Spirit within me checking my behavior. Other women may act differently.  

Furthermore, Paul circumcised Timothy, not because he felt that circumcision was necessary for Timothy's salvation, but because he didn't want this to be a stumbling block to Jews in the synagogues in which he was preaching and seeking converts. That's a good goal -- to act in such a way that the Spirit within me is at peace, my conscience is clear AND my behavior is never a stumbling block to others.

Regarding drinking: It's not wine that's the problem, for wine, in itself, is morally neutral. Drinking wine is not the equivalent to fornication or murder!  The moral break point as I see it is drunkenness, not drinking. Drunkenness is clearly a sin in scripture. In today's society, getting high or abusing prescription drugs would fall under that rubric, too.

Personally, I do not drink because I'm a small person and cannot handle alcohol. 

Below is a potential formula for you. This is only a starting point for your exploration of this topic and not a rigid set of rules. God obviously wants you to deal with this prayerfully and thoughtfully, to grow in Him through it. So do it.

Formula: Drinking is a sin if you 1) drink to forget, 2) drink to get a big buzz, or 3) become drunk. 4) It is also a sin when you offend or am a stumbling block to those around you.