JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Disciple Lessons from Hagar

God is teaching me that if I stick with Him He will take care of me. He will fulfill his promises and that life may not be easy but even when it gets tough He is still there. I also know that God knows my name.

I think that going on mission trips is one of the most difficult to submit to even though I get so much out of them.

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 years later...

What lesson is God teaching you out of Hagar's experience?

Hagar's experience has with it a number of things of how God is teaching me: one of the first is obedience; another is to return to the place I know He wants me to be; and for me to be patient if some of His plan seems too heavy.

Which situation that God is calling you to is most difficult for you to submit to?

"And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me" (Lk. 9:23).

For me, the literal denying (surrendering all) of self and putting Him first: dethroning myself and enthroning the Lord to His rightful place in my life.

• 3 months later...

Q4. What lesson is God teaching you out of Hagar's experience? Which situation that God is calling you to is most difficult for you to submit to?

The lesson I've learned from Hagar's experience is that through we feel alone, depressed and rejected by loved ones, God still cares and well show or take care of us if we let him. 

The situation that God is calling to me that is most difficult is to not be judgmental of other people even when I think I am not Perhaps it is just a human reaction to judge others just because we don't approve of them, their ways or beliefs. 

• 3 years later...

Q4. What lesson is God teaching you out of Hagar's experience? Which situation that God is calling you to is most difficult for you to submit to?

God cares for all human beings, whether they be strong in faith or weak in faith, whether they be men or women etc. He does not show any partiality. Even though we may not understand why God directs us the way He does, He has a purpose and He is able to make all things work together for our good.

Some situations, it is difficult to comprehend with my understanding, but waiting patiently to see how He will work it together for my good.

• 6 months later...

For me the lesson is about trusting Him when people fail you and choose to let you down instead. The situation is forgiveness and loving others when it seems hard to do especially when your flesh works against you.

• 1 year later...

What lesson is God teaching you out of Hagar's experience? Which situation that God is calling you to is most difficult for you to submit to?

Hagar half-submitted to Sarai's whim. She had no intention of her child being Sarai's child. That part was broken immediately. It was not building an offspring for Sarai or a family for Sarai but it was building a family for Hagar. She was being exalted. 

Lesson.... When something is put to you that seems faintly doubtful   ...    Watch out   ....  be extra careful   ...   pray with an open heart and mind and unless you are 100% certain it is God's will don't get into the situation. 

Not being able to just be quiet and alone. Not to be able to go out. Not seeing my family (that is hardest of all) 

• 1 year later...

What lesson is God teaching you out of Hagar's experience? Which situation that God is calling you to is most difficult for you to submit to?

I can't help but think that Hagar gave birth to the man whose ethnicity and religion (eventually islam) has been a goad in the side of Israel (the chosen people). So, though God heard her prayer and her child was born, the consequences of Sarah's impatient sin and Abraham's compliance to her demand was NOT erased. The text only reads that Hagar bore a son which Abraham named. No more. There's nothing that exalts the child's future in that passage 16.15,6.

So, did God use this mistake to work out his plans? I really don't know. I'd like to think so. Had Abraham not had a child by an Egyptian surrogate, Isaac would still have been born and Christ's lineage continued. I don't see how Ishmeal's lineage contributes to the biblical story or His plans as we know it.

I agree that God calls us to suffering and that suffering is HIs will. It's not clear if Hagar's life was one of great suffering after her return to Sarah. 

Personally, I find it difficult to square my own suffering with God's love. 

• 2 months later...

That God is with me and will help me get through the rough patches as I remain faithful to him and his promises. 

Right now I am trying to follow God and to seek out his perfect plan for my life. In other words Im trying to submit to what God is leading me to.