JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Disciple Lessons from Hagar

The lesson I learn from Hagar's experience is to finish the task and "face the music," even though that might be the most painful thing I can do. I had more choices that Hagar did in the beginning, anyway. Even with the pain and hurt, I know that God "sees" and will be there to give me comfort. Submission is foreign to most of our natures, but must be learned in our walk with God.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the discussion of Sarah and Hagar we are dealing with two of the most powerful women in the Bible. They are to give birth to two mighty nations. Our lesson is that God has a plan for women not just men. As I read this and study it deeply I wonder if we are not more concern with Sarah and Hagar than with Abraham. We may feel some what put out with Sarah for her treatment of Hagar but then lets us not forget Abraham's treatment of Sarah. God is saying, I believe, "Don't concern yourself with the status of people in society the lowest person I can make mighty." This is what he is doing the the case of Hagar. These are powerful people we are meeting in this study. In my relationship with my student I alway try to stay objective. The person that I feel will never make anything of themself often turn arounds and supprises you. A wonderful thing to watch. A wonderful reason to be a teacher.

Mike

• 8 months later...

Q4. What lesson is God teaching you out of Hagar's experience? Which situation that God is calling you to is most difficult for you to submit to?

od sees us at all times and knows what path we will takeand also recogniing that God is always ther for us. I will never leave you or forsake you. He is there to rovide for us guidance to continue in our tasks day by day. Be willing to ubmit to authority.

• 3 months later...

There are many times when it seems that it is not possible that God has anything to do with or sees the trouble or pain that I am in. And yet, He is always there. With Hagar, she was in bondage, abused, and needed a Holy visitation to see the need for her suffering, to be encouraged to go through the fire. Her story is a reminder that if we suffer with Him, we shall reign with Him.

• 3 months later...

Q4. What lesson is God teaching you out of Hagar's experience?

Each time I read the scripture for this study on Hagar I feel I learn more about what God is teaching me. I have seen has God is always there and always faithful even in the most difficult and discouraging times just as He was for Hagar. At times, we must strive to submit to what God directs us to do but his plan is always best. ;)

Which situation that God is calling you to is most difficult for you to submit to?

I need to constantly pray and ask for strength to remember to give God the glory for all that happens in my life and for all success and recogntion. Without God and His blessings in my life, there would be no success and accomplishments.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Q4. What lesson is God teaching you out of Hagar's experience? Which situation that God is calling you to is most difficult for you to submit to?

The lesson taught here is that regardless of your status in society, the Body of Christ or in the home; God has a plan for your life and if you submit to His leading you will be rewarded in this life and in the next. Submission and obedience are watch words for the child of God. Many times we may be faced with opposition but if we remember that God sees and is in charged we can trust Him to bring us through the trying circumstances of life and to bring us to His desired end.

Things won't always be easy but God will be there for us. He cares about each one of us and he has a plan for our lives. He kept his promises to Hagar and he'll do the same for us. God wants me (all of us) to be his messenger. There's nothing more important than seeing people accept Jesus. Just like a stone thrown into the water, you see all the ripples that come from it. That's the impact one Christian can make.

• 2 months later...

God is teachimg me that howsoever low or unimportant I am to the world , i am precoius in the sight of God . Sarah , and then Abraham , tried to disown Hagar - but God never did the same

Hi is an IMPARTIAL GOD

With this reassuring thought - God is assuring me that in my life as well - God is still in control !!!!!

Praise God

• 3 months later...

To teach all people with dignity -- love your neighbor as yourself and handle problems in a Godly manner. I cannot really answer that question right now. I am currently not in a situation right now that is difficult to submit to.

• 2 months later...

The lesson that God has taught me is not to run from trhe situation, but run to Him. Humble myself, pray, ask forgiveness, and trust the Lord. Not to try to do it myself. The most difficult situation with me had dbeen a family problem. Praise God, that situation has been taken care of and we are closer now than ever before.

Hagar may be an unlikely heroine

• 1 month later...

Q4. What lesson is God teaching you out of Hagar's experience?

Sometimes you are in places that are quite difficult, and they seem that there is no end to it. It's a constant confrontation, demanding, and quite gruelling place. Seeing how Hagar submitted herself to return to such a hard place and circumstance, it shows me that I must learn to let go of my desires, and give them to God, believing that He knows what is best for me, and will provide for me in the very best way.

Which situation that God is calling you to is most difficult for you to submit to?

Due to circumstances beyond my control, I am now tied down 24/7 taking care of my grandchildren, as they have been placed into my care. As they are quite young, it is something that demands constant attention, total devotion, and leaves no room for me. Even though other family members try to help, the baby has transferred his full affection and needs to me, as I have become his security. Yes he does interact with the others, but when it comes to me being out of his sight, trying to leave is impossible. As I am now retired, being back to the place where I have no free time at all has taken a toll on me. Yet in spite of what has happened, I know in my heart I couldn't do anything less than what I am doing. I only know that God is my provider, and will sustain me in spite of my weaknesses.

• 3 months later...

Q4. What lesson is God teaching you out of Hagar's experience? The first lesson that comes to mind is how important it is to be patient and wait for God's answer to prayer instead of taking things into our own hands. Second, is to understand how dangerous reacting to pride can be to a person or family.

Which situation that God is calling you to is most difficult for you to submit to? Controlling my pride and practicing patience on a daily basis.

• 8 months later...

What lesson is God teaching you out of Hagar's experience? Which situation that God is calling you to is most difficult for you to submit to?

To trust in God completely for He hears me and knows my every need. He is beside me always, unless I wander off on my own path, in which case, He will still be there for me and will still hear me.

There is no situation that God is calling me to that I am finding difficult at the moment, but I pray that when He does call me to something which I do find difficult, He will give me the strength and courage to be able to go forward into that situation.

• 2 weeks later...

The lesson for me to keep in mind is that God is in comtrol and that we should submit to those that are in authority over us. We must always remember that God is with us always. He cares for us and wants the best for us. When we try to do everything our way and mess everything up He can use it for our good.

My situation is not one of not submitting to, it is just sometimes overwhelming. I am a widow andI have my two great grandchildren living with me. They are now both teenagers(ages 13 and 15 almost 16) and sometimes we don't see eye to eye. They are both good kids, they have both given their life to the Lord. I am just concerned if I am doing my best for them. I don't want to do anything to get in the way of what God is doing in their lives. They are both very active in our church. What a awesome responsibility He has entrusted me with. I know what a great God we serve and that He loves us and is always there for us. It is only God that has provided.

God uses lifes experiance to our benefit, God gives ua a great perspective and wisdom on how to navigate a hard time.

Consider it a sheer gift,friends, when tests and challenges come at you from all sides

You know that under pressure, your faith-life is forced into the open and shows its true colours,

So dont try to get out of anything prematurely. Let it do its work so you become mature and well developed,not deficent in any way.

If you dont know what you are doing, pray to the Father.

He loves to help.You will get His help,

and wont be condescended to when you ask for it

Thank you Lord for saving me.

• 2 months later...

The lesson God is teaching me out of Hagar's experience is that He sees me also, and has a plan for me. As always, the situation that is most difficult to submit to is pain.

I have to remember, and God asks me to remember, that pain is necessary for growth as a Christian, and that He will lead me back to the lesson until I learn it, one way or another, even if I seek to avoid it.

I am also taught to thank Him for his guidance back to what I seek to avoid. He knows best for me and for all of us.

#1 That I am not alone.

#2 HE sees my difficulties, abuses,challenges.

#3 God is faithful to His promises.

#4 Obedience = blessings eventually.

No sure about the last question, God is not finished revealing it to me yet.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

What lesson is God teaching you out of Hagar's experience?

To keep looking toward God for my answers....in the human part of me I look to this earth, to loved ones or perhaps friends, but the only answer is God. He loves me....and I have known it form such a young age, but it dod not stop the battles I faced or the sometimes imperfect decisions I made.

To leave my husband in His hands and know that if I love him and long for his salvation....God adores him and hears my prayer and supplications.

• 1 month later...

I know God is teaching me to be submissive and no matter how hard the situation looks, go through. I am gradually learning, but submission has been my problem all of my life. I have let the enemy have the upper hand, but NO MORE Devil, NO MORE.

• 5 months later...

Submitting to God's will regardless of the humbling and hard road it may end up being. In the end it worked out for Hagar. As a result of her obedience she lived, Ishmael lived and became a great nation just like God said. His Word is true!!! Submitting is hard because we always want to take the road most traveled! Along with that is being patient for the Lord to work! His ways or not our ways and His times our not our times. But when we submit and wait then there is the blessing!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

God teaches us many lessons throughout our lives. In this particular situation God is reminding us that He is always watching over and protecting us and that He is aware of our situations and that we must have faith in His working. It is important also to understand that we should do His will, not our own regardless of how dis-pleasurable, frustrating or even painful it may currently be for God has His master plan for us all.