JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Balanced Husbands and Wives

I cannot help but to believe that there are two factors that are workable for both fathers/husbands and mothers/wives: love, and respect for the other.

The reason I think so is because of the following Scripture: Eph. 5:25, 28; and 1 Cor. 13:3.

There are probably many other factors that could be considered, but I will stick with "love" and "respect."

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (18:16-19) How can fathers and husbands strike the right balance -- of being godly, caring leaders without being dictators? How can mothers and wives strike the right balance -- of being submissive and at the same time being open about their needs and desires? (I know of no Christian cookie-cutter answer to this. It must be contientiously worked out within the crucible of marriage.)

Husbands and fathers can strike a balance by being godly and caring leaders by ensuring their children are versed in the word of God, they need be dictators to do this. They must be honest and just to family and friends, walking in the ways of the Lord, they must not go to extremes to include their own ideas of moral conduct.

Women must also maintain balance in their marriage by being honest and just, raising their children in the word of God and teaching the morals they will need to live by and sere the Lord and society. Being honest with their husbands about their needs and desires are also just as important. The husband must be honest and honor his wife and her desires. He cares for her as the Lord cares for us.

• 3 years later...

Q2. (18:16-19) How can fathers and husbands strike the right balance -- of being godly, caring leaders without being dictators? How can mothers and wives strike the right balance -- of being submissive and at the same time being open about their needs and desires? (I know of no Christian cookie-cutter answer to this. It must be conscientiously worked out within the crucible of marriage.)

Husbands and fathers must be kind but firm, understanding the genuine needs of those who depend on them. He should take a leadership role in the house where others can emulate him. So he must lead by being an example. He must love his wife as Christ loved the church and gave Himself for her. He should understand that wives were taken from his side, not from the head or the leg. So they should be loved and cherished by him.

Wives and mothers should respect and be submissive to the leadership that God has placed above them. When respect is given to the husbands in all areas and allow him to take his rightful place in the family, the family is blessed. When wives respect their husbands, children will emulate from her to respect and be submissive to their fathers.

• 6 months later...

How can fathers and husbands strike the right balance -- of being godly, caring leaders without being dictators? How can mothers and wives strike the right balance -- of being submissive and at the same time being open about their needs and desires? (I know of no Christian cookie-cutter answer to this. It must be contientiously worked out within the crucible of marriage.)

One of the biggest ways this can work out is through the husband and wife spending time together in God's word and in prayer. This way they can grow in knowledge of God's will and what God wants for them. Then as they do that, the wife can actively submit to her husband and also be open to him about her needs. The husband can be the same way as well. 

• 1 year later...

So much has been said about this subject. I can only thank the Lord from my side that I had parents who served him. Proverbs 31 comes to mind of a virtuous women. I guess that is a good target to aim for. 

I have had to try and be a Mother-Father figure to my four sons for most of their lives. God did not make us to be that. 

I am asking and trusting God to sort out the "mess". He alone is able. 

I guess direct answer to the question  ..... by God's grace and His alone, this can be so

• 1 year later...

How can fathers and husbands strike the right balance -- of being godly, caring leaders without being dictators? How can mothers and wives strike the right balance -- of being submissive and at the same time being open about their needs and desires?

I'm divorced so should probably not answer this question as I was married to an unbeliever who told me that acts kindness and attempts to submit were "signs of weakness." 

• 3 months later...

Fathers and husbands are called to be leaders and one of the best way is for the Fathers and Husbands is to have a deep understanding of what it means to lead in a Godly way. To be able to lead their family in a Godly way without being harsh and mean. This comes from spending time with God and in the scriptures and any other training that God leads the man to do.

Mother and Wives have to understand the roles the husband has as the leader biblically but also understand they have a right to express and help the husband to understand in a godly way their needs and opinions about things going on within the house hold and the family. But, also respecting your husband and his leadership role. If there is an issue where the husband does not respect the woman's opinion as he should when it is a biblical truth then she needs to bring that to God in prayer on how this needs to be approached. I am talking about the husband making decisions that are not wise or biblical decisions. God wants us to respect each other in marriage and even in parent and child relationships. But he wants me to honor his word and be respectful to my husband. 

With Different personalities in marriages it's best to do things the biblical way and bring things to the Lord. The Holy Spirit will give you the right way and wisdom on how things should be handled and he will make the necessary changes in each of us as necessary.