JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Lot and His Daughters

Q4. (19:30-38) Why did Lot's daughters turn to incest? What does this tell us about their values? About their faith? Why does Lot turn to intoxication? What does this incident tell us about his faith? His hope? His influence? His choice of residence? What lessons should we learn from this story?

​This is a scary story indeed and give us a good lesson to be careful about many different things; be careful where we live and who we have in our circle of friends. Be careful about what we think and where we think our thoughts are coming from.

The devil is out to get us, and he has 'beautiful things' to offer us, to steer us from the kingdom. We must be conscious that this same devil influenced the key characters of this bible passage. Of course they had a choice, all of them. Bad choice to go live in Sodom was perhaps the root cause. Though Lot is spared, it is not clear how much he loved the Lord in the end, since he went into hiding.

Let us all keep Jesus near in mind and heart, and ask him what to do. Then if the reply doesn't fit the bible, probably someone else is whispering in our ear.

<_<

Heaven help is is the appropriate phrase/prayer.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (19:15-16) Why did Lot and his family hesitate? Have you ever hesitated when you should have been fleeing a danger? What is the lesson for us?

Jesus said, abide in me .... stay with me, stay close to me, keep your eyes on me. When he sends a messenger, we must listen, but often we do not.

At least I do not always follow, but when I do I'm rewarded. EXAMPLE: I was just now preparing for a job interview and took a break. God came to me and said to send an email to a man proposing to fix my outdooor deck, and suggest a lower price. So I carefully did this and then didn't feel good, right after sending the email. Immediately the man was calling me, so I told him about the email and he said he had not received it. Then I said it was about asking for a lower price. He told me he loved God so much and immediately agreed to the lower price. In some moments he'll come to my home and share some other stories he has had like this one today.

So when we hesitate, we can lose out on God's planned blessing, though He knows in advance how we'll choose, since he knows everything. PRAISE GOD, may we have the courage to follow Him., when He calls us.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Lot’s daughters turned to incest so that they could carry on the family line. It tells me that they values are a lot different than mine. They didn’t have the faith that would carry them through in order to find a husband and have children through them.

Maybe Lot’s intoxication was a way of not facing what had to be been and that his faith wasn’t what it should have been. The lesson that I get out of this story is that I have to be careful of my decisions.

• 7 months later...

Q4. (19:30-38) Why did Lot's daughters turn to incest? What does this tell us about their values? About their faith? Why does Lot turn to intoxication? What does this incident tell us about his faith? His hope? His influence? His choice of residence? What lessons should we learn from this story?

In isolation, Lot's daughters turned to incest because in their minds they saw no other ways to have children.  Lot's daughters getting him drunk and having sex with him in order to get pregnant showed that they did not have faith in God.  Lot probably self mediated himself through alcohol to cope with his situation instead of turning to God for direction and help.  Apparently, Lot didn't have much faith in God. 

In isolation, Lot's daughters turned to incest because in their minds they saw no other ways to have children.  Lot's daughters getting him drunk and having sex with him in order to get pregnant showed that they did not have faith in God.  Lot probably self mediated himself through alcohol to cope with his situation instead of turning to God for direction and help.  Apparently, Lot didn't have much faith in God. 

• 2 years later...

Why did Lot's daughters turn to incest?  Through their father, they would preserve their family line.

What does this tell us about their values?  Their values was on the low end of the scale.  Did they pick up their values from the people that lived around them?  "When Christians give into the pressures of culture and adopt the values of the culture in contrast to the values of the Bible, we lose any chance we have of being lights to the world" (Lesson Material).

About their faith?  They must have had little faith, in that, God could have provided their family line.

Why does Lot turn to intoxication?  He had lost it all: flocks and herds; he had no friends; no dowry/status; the valley was depopulated; the land was barren; and he was alone except his daughters.

What does this incident tell us about his faith?  At one time, he had shared in Abraham's faith in Yahweh; now, it was different.  Now his faith was on the low end of the scale.

His hope?  He must have had little hope as he tried to go to sleep at night without the wine.

His influence?  He must have had little or no influence, in that, in Sodom his future son-in-laws showed no respect.  Nor in case at hand, his daughters.

His choice of residence?  Lot went from Sodom to the small city of Zoar to a cave?

What lessons should we learn from this story?  In this case, Lot moving to Sodom was reaping what he had sown; no respect from his future son-in-laws; his wife did not believe that Sodom would be destroyed; and the deeds of his daughters.  What was Lot really after, wealth or the blessings of God?

• 3 months later...

Lot's daughters turned to incest because having fled Sodom they had no husbands to carry on the family line.

This tells us that lot's daughters were not educated in the things of God that Lot should have remembered while with Abraham. They resort to incest to carry on the family, hence they were totally accustomed to the Sodom culture.

As above they probably know nothing about God or faith.

Lot feels he has lost everything materially and fells he is in danger from other people. Depressed and feeling worthless he turns to intoxication.

Lot obviously has no faith in God at all.

He has no hope for the future.

His seems to have no respect from his daughters nor them for him.

Because he feels worthless and depressed he decides to live a life in solitude.

The lesson we learn from the story of Lot is that we should not look to society for our wealth or well being. We should and must depend on God for our life needs. 

• 3 years later...

The eldest of Lot’s daughters say that there is no man on earth to unite with them in marriage. Probably she meant that there is no man left who would want them. They had only known the people of their neighborhood and all that was left was the people of Zoar from where they have escaped later, probably fearing them. They may not have wanted anything to do with them. But there were men in Abraham’s household, which they never even thought of. They have been raised up in the immoral society of Sodom and all their thinking and perspective is based on their upbringing there. Their faith must have been nonexistent, for they say there is none to impregnate them.

Even though the text emphasizes that Lot was not aware of their doings, he had agreed to be drunk. Probably he wanted to forget all the misfortune (according to him) that has befallen him. We can say that his faith also may have been wavering at best. He must have lost all hope and it is a pity that he never thought of returning to Abraham. Probably he wanted to be the leader wherever he went, like he was in Sodom. That could be the reason he chose to dwell in the mountains of Zoar.

The lessons that we learn from this story is that sin has consequences. These consequences can extent into later generations. It teaches us how careful we need to be when we choose the environment in which our children are raised up. Moreover it is so important to inculcate in them godly worldview right from their young age.

• 3 months later...

Why did Lot's daughters turn to incest? What does this tell us about their values? About their faith? Why does Lot turn to intoxication? What does this incident tell us about his faith? His hope? His influence? His choice of residence? What lessons should we learn from this story?

They believed they weren't going to marry anyone so they turned to incest for a solution. They were driven by fear and desperation basically. Their values are worldly meaning whatever feels goods. He turns to wine because he has no trust in God like Abraham. He has no faith in God. His hope is in material goods. He thought that Sodom would be a good place to live. That where we live, where our children go to school and we go to work and who we spend time with is important. Also we spend time with the Lord continually and with a body of believers as well.

• 1 year later...

(19:30-38) Why did Lot's daughters turn to incest?

They ended up living in a cave. They seemed to have no further hope to join society again, as they knew it. Not that the lifestyle in Sodom was any good. There they had the prospect of family, even though it very likely would be evil. So to their way of thinking, incest was an end to justify the means. They wanted the familyline not to die out. 

What does this tell us about their values?

Not much was frowned upon in the society they had lived in. This shows they no longer had what we term high values. 

About their faith?

Their faith was not in God. 

Why does Lot turn to intoxication? What does this incident tell  about his faith? His hope? His influence?

This incident tells us that the daughters planned the whole situation. It was not willingly done by Lot. We do read though that he did move to the mountains because he feared to live in Zoar. Maybe he feared the people there. Maybe they bamed him for what happened. Little did the people of Zoar realize that they too would have been destroyed if it were not for Lot. His faith and hope were no longer visibly in the Lord, Creator of heaven and earth. He fled for protection to a cave in the mountains, away from the presence of man. 

He did not influence his daughters to trust in God. 

His choice of residence?

His choice of residence was a cave in the mountains. Away from further direct influence of from man. 

What lessons should we learn from this? 

From the whole incident we learn that we need to wait on God for guidance. Then when He tells us to do something we need to act accordingly and not request our own thing. 

The angels had instructed him to escape to the mountains. Lot requested to stay at Zoar. This did not turn out to be a blessing for him. 

The outcome of the incest was two nations that gave the Israelites      beans later on. They did not serve God. 

Yet God heard (must have been Lot's cry somewhere along the line) and we find that part of David's family is from Moab (Ruth was a Moabitess) 

Repent, repent!  With God all things are possible

• 1 year later...

Why did Lot's daughters turn to incest? What does this tell us about their values? About their faith? Why does Lot turn to intoxication? What does this incident tell us about his faith? His hope? His influence? His choice of residence? What lessons should we learn from this story?

Abraham was told to leave his family, not take them:  Go from your country, your people and your father’s household to the land I will show you." 

Because of Abraham's disobedience to God's explicit command, Lot was dragged along. Had Lot remained behind, he would have lived out his days there, fading from Bible history, but since he was part of Abraham's entourage, he was put in situations he did not have the character or moral stamina to handle.

Yes, Lot chose to live in Sodom. He is responsible for that choice. The consequences of that short-sighted, faithless, selfish and materialistic decision followed him to his death. Yet, I don't see Lot as a bad man, but a weak one. My hunch is that Abraham loved Lot because he had "redeeming qualities"  which is why Abraham  took Lot with him, originally.

Lot ends his life as a drunken old man living in a cave with two shallow, self-involved daughters, bereaved of his wife and probably pining for the urban wealth and lifestyle left behind. His daughters remind me of the Valley girls of my Cali youth -- they had money, were shallow and oriented to the exterior, obsessed with youth and appearance, and morally ignorant because untaught. I feel for them just as I have compassion on Lot's daughters. (There, but for the grace of God go I ...) They operated out of their own limited understanding of morality and God. Yes, incest is repulsive, but ... well, they weren't alone. How did Lot not know what was happening to him? This seems impossible to me. My hunch is Lot willingly participated, too drunk to recall what happened the next day.

Lot is a weak man: morally and spiritually weak. Frankly, I think he's like most men today, even in the church, though exaggeratedly so. And, his daughters are like most women, even in the church, though exaggeratedly so. The sins of Lot and his daughters are so common that their exposure stuns us. We'd rather shut this chapter than look squarely at our own values and tendencies. How many of us choose to "live in Sodom" rather than live a simpler, more obedient life, and justify our Sodom-attraction by claiming that Sodom is where the best jobs are, or Sodom is where my wife's/husband's family is from ... etc.

I can see how Lot's decisions snowballed into his fate, but still think Lot is "Everyman," not an exceptionally horrible man. He was too weak and faithless to crawl back to God after the disaster of Sodom. His fate was NOT written in stone. He could have changed. God would have taken him back and worked to restore the rest of his life. 

I do think the consequences of our stupidity, weak character, sinful tendencies and bad choices  haunt us, but not forever. God redeems our pasts. He plucks us out of our Sodoms. He gives us second, third and fourth chances. But ... we have to have the character and gumption to crawl to him in humility; Lot seems not to have done this.

• 3 months later...

Lots daughters turn to incest because their hearts were not right toward The Lord as it should have been. If it was then they would have honored The Lord and their Father better than that. They would have never done that. They were not having faith in God Almighty.

I think Lots faith in God wasn't strong either to turn toward drinking. He wasn't all the way against loose living. Lot should have recognized the mistake he made and left Sodom awhile ago or should have never went altogether.

The lessons we learn is that it matters where we live and who we are around. Evil company can corrupt a person's personality. It might not at first but after a period of time it can. A person should want to set a good example to their children to their family so it matters about our choices. Sin can be contagious if you are not following The Lord as you should. We need to always consult with The Lord on were we belong and what we should be doing. We should also do what The Word of God says because it also gives specific instructions on what to do and not do.