JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Value of Trials

Q1. (1:2-4) What value have trials had in your life? Have you let Satan destroy you with those trials? Or allowed God to refine you? How have you changed?

Ive made alot of mess ups in my life with drugs,booze and woman but i found the Lord recently and just in time. I was abroad and had a motoerbike accident that should of took my life or left me disabled, i know that God helped me and i started believing in a way like never before, ive allowed God to refine me each and everyday i'm reading, studying or something to do with the Bible going to church or meetings. Now my who life is God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit and i love it i can't get enough, i want to do more but feel i need to learn alittle more, i tell everyone i meet as i'm so pleased my mum tells me she has never seen me this way and she is overwelmed at my change, pleased that i got out before the drugs took my life. So my life has changed a million and now i want to help other people thats the plan if its Gods will. I love you Lord Jesus thank you for everything you have done for me, you are the way the truth and the light and you saved me a million thank you's I love you Amen.

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trials have shown me the true faithfulness of God. Whenever I go through something, especially in college, I just reflect on how God has brought me out of a particular situation in the past. If He did it before, I know that He will do it again!

In the beginning of my walk with the Lord, I definitely let Satan destroy me in my trials. I have dealt with stress and depression to the highest degree. I couldn't get beyond Satan's tricks. I allowed him to have access to my mind. Now, when I experience trials, I can admit that I am immediately worrisome. But after I get myself together, I am able to fully put my trust in Him and realize that all things are working together for my good.

I have made a complete 180. I'm human though. I mess up sometimes. I allow the Devil to stress me out and distract me from the true value of the trial that I am going through. But compared to how I used to be, I am much, much better!

• 2 weeks later...

I love the Lord and as child and young adult could not understand why he has to put you through trials and test you. I remember days when I tried to do everything on my own and only when it seemed to go terribly wrong go on knees to pray and beg him for forgiveness to make it right.

The trails on my path has changed me and my view about those I love. Today I am different person that still need to be humbled. I did when I was young let Satan to make me believe I was bad and will never be freed from sins. But the Lord is merciful and help one start realize how much he loves you. When things get hard the only way to get through it is to look at yourself and how you allowed yourself to get in a mess and in my live it was normally when I did not allow God to lead me. Through the mistakes he helped me to be a more refined person and to get to know the Holly Spirit.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
My trials are through my children. They are both adopted, and I always believed God sent them to me. Now, I have to work to remember that, so I can enjoy them even in the hard times.

I feel the same way, although my children are my natural kids, there are 4 of them, enjoying then through trials is challenging. Enjoying anything in out trials is a challenge. I think that is where faith comes in. If we truely TRUST God then we won't worry or be stressed out, evin in our trials and challenges. You know what I try to remind myself of? It is my way of approaching challenges or unenjoyable curcunstances. I just accept those times as tests. Tests the Lord is giving me so that He can move me forward.

I have had many things come my way, but i so think I have allowed the Lord to refine me,as apposed to Satan destroying me.

SINCE I BECAME A CHRISTIAN, I HAVE HAD TO ENDURE NUMEROUS TRIALS, A LOT OF PERSECUTION FROM AN UNSAVED SPOUSE, BROKEN RELATIONSHIPS WITH FAMILY MEMBERS , TROUBLES WITH MY TEENAGED SON, ETC. I DID NOT KNOW HOW TO COUNT IT ALL JOY, SO I MURMURED AND COMPLAIN MOST OF THE TIME.I'M NOW STARTING TO REALISE THAT TRIALS ARE VALUABLE IF YOU ALLOW THE LORD TO HELP YOU RATHER THAN RUNNING FROM GOD AND THEREBY ALLOWING THE ENEMY TO COME IN. SO I HAVE BEEN ALLOWING THE LORD TO REFINE ME IN THE PROCESS AND MAKE ME INTO THE IMAGE OF HIS SON, WHICH IS AN ONGOING PROCESS.I DO BELIEVE I AM MUCH STRONGER NOW IN MY WALK WITH THE LORD BECAUSE OF HAVING TO ENDURE SOME REALLY TOUGH TRIALS..GOD BLESS..

• 4 weeks later...

I think it is important to remember we encounter trials and temptations on a minute by minute basis. Sometimes we concentrate on the big stuff and we do not see the little stuff that is actually the foundation of the trial/temption. I went through a time in a study with my church thinking I had a problem in one area of my life and a came to find out Satan was using this to cover up a bigger stronghold that was keeping me from growing. Both things needed to be worked on but I dwelt on the lesser of the problems while ignoring the problem that was keeping me from God.

I have dealt with many trials and temptations in my life. I spent 15 years as a drug addict. I was saved at the age of 13, however I ignored God and went my own way. Strangely enough I spent a lot of time as an addict reading the Bible. I did this so I could be educated when arguing with Christians about there faith. Little did I know God was using this time to teach me His Word. Life as a drug addict is dismal. No matter how good you are doing, (I am not talking about a homeless scraggly stereotype drug addict, but a functioning, well read addict that you would be hard pressed to pick out of a crowd) you are always up against depression and tons of temptation.

After 6 months of Christian treatment don't think the temptation stopped, but standing up against addiction proves to one that you can overcome anything.

My biggest trial lately has come from my church. I thought I was doing a good thing, but it created jealousy and hard feelings and I recently left my church.

I expect trials in my daily life, but I was blind-sided by such opposition in my church.

I'm trying to focus on the purpose for this particular trial. I truly felt called to work and teach there, and I know that I was making a positive difference, but obviously God has other plans for me. I guess it lead me to this online bible study, so that's one positive thing to come of it.

I think it is sad that some of our greatest opposition comes from our own church. To many Christins today have forgotten the whole love one another thing, this was not a request from Jesus it was a command. As a Sunday school teacher for our teenagers I found that many church members get angry and try to tear down good things if they are not getting attention or don't understand the message. Our youth minister has been accused of calling students demons because people take things out of context.

Don't be discouraged, James is the place to be when dealing with this. I think sometimes our best witnessing can be to Christians who don't understand the power and authority of Jesus. Ther are too many "fire insurance" Christians out ther that are looking to worldy things and there own glory. Don't misunderstand, I am far from perfect, I simply feel if I am a truck technician I should follow my bosses rules and be the best I can, if I am a Christian I should follow Jesus' rules and be the best Christian I can. Don't give up on them, love them and pray for them. The hardest thing I have done is pray for members of my congregation that irritate me. I have had God tell me I am just as irritating to them. We are all different and have different purposes in the body of Christ.

A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another. By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.

• 2 weeks later...
Q1. (1:2-4) What value have trials had in your life? Have you let Satan destroy you with those trials? Or allowed God to refine you? How have you changed?

Trails have had much value in my life because they have shown me the love that God has for me. Trails have made me be a better person, Christan and Pastor. Satan has not destroyed me through trails. I have been saved for sometime now and have learned that the trails that I face on a daily basis help me to mature in my faith and can be used later in life to help others. God has indeed refined me through the trails I've faced. I believe that I have changed through the trails in my life, but it's all been for the Glory of God. :rolleyes:

Trials have a lot of value even if they don't seem like it at the time, in my life I do think trials have helped me grew in Christ. My most recent example is my Grandma passed away and I fell to pieces even though I knew she was a Christian and I started wondering from the things of God because I felt he didn't answer my prayers.

Fast forward a bunch of years and both my parents just died last year, this time even though I was very sad I was at peace and knew they were with God. I think and believe I have matured in Christ a great deal, it's been a struggle but worth it.

• 1 month later...

Q1. (1:2-4)

What value have trials had in your life?

Have you let Satan destroy you with those trials?

Or allowed God to refine you? How have you changed?

I have been tested and although at the time they were very trying; it is later on reflection that I realized our Lord was strengthening my faith. I praise Him for the way he has guided me, every step of the way, through my life. I have never doubted His motives and I have most definitely changed for the better. But there is still much work to be done on me.

• 1 month later...

Well my name is terry

well i had to hit rock bottom on my trials since i have rededicated my life to my lord things are looking better i am in a deciple program an almst a graduate satan has tried me but i have my god on my side an have humbled my self to his will when i have trials are things not going my way i just pray an accept these trials and god guides me.

• 3 weeks later...

There have many trials in my life. They have brought me closer and made me stronger and made me more dependent on the Lord. I certainly do not like going through the hard lessons but they have been worth going through, although at the time I didn't think so. We need to always remember that the Lord is always there with us, even though at the time it doesn't seem that way. Satan will always try to get to me, and sometimes he has sneaked in unaware to me but when I realize what is happening he flees at the name of Jesus. The Lord continues to refine me daily. I know He is still working on me. I plan to meet Him face to face one day. He is so good to me and I thank Him and Praise Him daily.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow since /05 I`ve really been tried, but I never blamed God. I learned to turn it over to Him and go with it. I learned patience, preserverence, understanding, trust, now that was harder then I thought it would be,oh but what a reward in doing so! I believe that I have a deeper richer relationship with God now more then I ever did, I have learned to listen for His voice, to think beyond my own capasity, and to trust in God that He is in control. Through Christ I am being refined, it is not about me, I am here for Him. No I refused to let satan destroy me with my trials, but it was done with the Lord. He is Awsome! :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

Wow! This is a tough question. I hadn't given this much type of question much thought. As young as 7 Satan could have destroyed me with trials. But I was blessed by the love of Christ Jesus, who wrapped me in his arms of love. From that point, I have been refined. When I was 17-19 one might have called me a "know it all" or a "goodie two shoes". God worked on me through trials, and I have become more loving and tolerate. However, I always have been an advocate (fighter for justice) and often I need God's help not to fall into the you are bad and I am good type of thing. God is always working on me in great patiences. God is merciful, kind, and patient is refinement! In Christ, Jamie

• 2 months later...
I have to be very careful in the temptation regarding contact with females. Many work inputs, like TV screen can come up in my eyes as a surpise. Normally I don't watch TV, but I notice that when the wrong inputs come up in my eyes I am willing to NOT WATCH them, and this is a change for the good. I also need a bible quote to pull me through before I've gone too far in my mind.

Also Satan has used my male ego to cause me to do foolish things to "defend" someone. I have not mastered this. I need to be more attentive in capturing thoughts, and asking God what to do with them.

• 2 weeks later...

The values trials have had in my life are undescribable to a point. God has brought me through the toughest times in my life, but one stands out the most. In 2002 I was diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma after a 6 month search to even figure that out. This trial to say the least was tough physically, but one thing I knew for sure is that God was there the whole time. During this trial, I endured physical pain caused by chemo, not to underemphasize the mental aspect of the strain of taking care of my husband and 2 children. Satan tried to deceive me into thinking that since I couldn't care for my family the way I thought I should, then I was worthless. Thank you God, that you were there to show me different.

Let me back up for a moment. Before I was diagnosed with cancer, my world and my personal life were falling apart. My parents filed for divorce after 38years of marriage, and my dad started dating a woman that I severely despised because she brought strife into my dad and I's wonderful relationship. (after lots of praying for this woman I despised, God has healed those wounds, and now I love my step-mom). My husband and I were talking about divorce after being married for 5 years. We just couldn't seem to make our marriage work. We loved each other very much, but just couldn't seem to get our acts together. My world was literally falling apart around me, and I was searching for answers and not depending on God to guide me through it all. What I didn't know is that God had other plans for our marriage, and He was going to use this trial to show all of my family the right way to live our lives.

While going through chemo, God lit a fire in my heart that will forever burn for Him. My family (4 sisters and I) started a Bible Study with my brother-in-law leading it. From there, I ventured out and went to church with a friend that had been praying for me, but what I didn't realize is that the Church was also praying for me. The pastor came up to introduce himself. I shook his hand and told him my name. He was in awe, and said "we have been praying for you". He later became one of my biggest support systems because he wanted more than just to teach me God's word, but he had a daughter that had died from cancer a few years earlier. We had a connection, and God knew that we needed each other. Praise God because he is ALL KNOWING of each of our needs and He puts people in our lives to help fulfill our needs. On June 3rd of 2002 (my actual birthday, I was born again!)I was baptized and committed my life to Christ!

God refined me and when I say refined, I mean sifted through all of the garbage in my life and helped me and my family live like Christ wants us to live. Satan has thown many road blocks in my path, but I learned to depend on God, and not myself or others to step in and take the wheel. God is what got me and my family through many of Satan's tangled webs without a shadow of a doubt! I have been in remission for 7 years, and married to my husband for 12 years on August 11th. God has worked in my family so much, I am forever greatful!

God is so AWESOME! I give all the praise and glory to Him! Jesus Christ, my savior, paved the way!

• 1 month later...

I am so thankful that I had a relationship with Jesus as I went through difficult trials. Those times brought me so much closer to God and I learned to rely on Him instead of myself. I can look back and praise God for those times and know that He is with me now and will be there for the next trial. I would have to say that I grew the most after going through a trial. Every trial (there's always something) brings me to my knees, in his word and strengthens relationships with others going through the same trial. The wounded healer.....

• 2 weeks later...

[/quote

I have let Satan take over me when it comes to my trials. I just have a hard time experiencing joy when i am suffering. At some point i learn from the suffering and move on but while i am going through them, i am not happy at all and i find it hard to talk to God or anyone about it and i found it hard to even spend time with him through the trials. I think i still have some work to do

• 4 weeks later...

Trials have been tough whilst going through them, but gradually I have seen how God is able to use these trials to teach me further about faithfullness even when it is tough, and developing the "hang in there" attitude, and not giving up. It is more when looking back at the worst times, that I can see how much I have grown to depend daily on God, leant more from his word, and learned not to rely on my own strength, but trusting Him more and more. :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

Discerning the situation in context is the key. To allow the prayers to reveal what is really happening - to pray for wisdom connects me to God, to seek his answer in the word, or another person or situation keeps me alert in my patience. This has changed me - I used to dive into all trials with a 'me fix all' attitude. The trials - unpleasant as they are have helped me know who God is and reconfirm my need for Him in my life. :rolleyes:

I hope I have matured through the trials I have faced! I know some of the darkest moments I have faced have become wonderful places of grace and transformation, places where God's Soverignty (sometimes in hindsight) has become clearer and clearer. I have known in my personal trials God's grace strengthening me to walk through the pain and choose the right attitude. I have not always understood exactely "why" God had allowed things to happen the way they did- but- I think it honest to say I have always believed that God working thing all thing together for good (Rom 8) - for me and more imporatntly for His glory and purposes.

I don't know if I have ever been left unchanged by a trial... even when I have "failed" a trial, sometimes quite spectacularly, when I totally left God out. The trials still left me being aware of my lack of God, and aware of how I had gone off track. The result has been that I have returned to God and recognised my need of God. So even the challenges where I have failed have brought about positive changes in my walk with God. Without the trials I would not have come to a place of recognising my independence from God, my need to repent and made necessary changes.

On the times I have walked well through trials (and there have been some major ones!) and pressed into God I have learnt lots and been strengthened in my faith.

So God has and continues to refine me. Trials help me to see my need of God and remember how human and sinful I am, and what a wonderful Saviour we serve. The longer I am on the journey I see more of my weaknesses and more of God's strength. Trials never leave me unchanged in my walk with God. In that I rejoice.

I have not always accepted the trials in my life and at one point I chose to no longer follow God.This I now realise was due to the immaturity of my faith,and the enability to trust God and submit to him being sovereign in my life.By gods Grace and mercy he never turned his back on me,and has restored me.Looking back I can now see Gods hand at work in my life shaping and moulding me for the life of service he has for me.Each trial and each temptation was making me who I am today.The removal of sin from our life is not a comfortable expierence,but a worth while one as we strive to be Christ like. :):)