JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Blaming God

Q2. (1:13-15) 
Why do people blame God for evil? 
Does God tempt us with evil? 
Does He tempt sinful people with evil? 
Why does He allow people to sin? 
Why does He allow evil to exist at all?
We sometimes seek to avoid all personal blame when something evil befalls us, and lash out and blame God. In His Holiness He stands way above evil. We cannot blame God for the evil we do, as He hates evil and will not do what He hates, and therefore will not lead anyone astray. No, God does not tempt people, whether believers or sinful people (we are all sinners). We read in scripture that Satan is the one who tempts us; he is called the tempter (Mat 4:3; 1 Thess 3:5). Instead, we must ask God to keep us from falling into temptation and doing evil deeds, by praying as Jesus taught us “… And lead us not into temptation" (Luke 11:4b). God allows us free choice to sin or not to sin. This sin comes from within us, from our old, evil, fallen, and unregenerate nature. God did not create the world in its present state. 
Evil came as a result of the selfishness of man. We are our own downfall. Jesus Himself said “For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false testimony, slander” (Matt 15:19). God is a God of love, but genuine love cannot exist unless freely given – we can decide to accept or reject God’s love. This choice made the possibility of evil becoming very real. God does not disclose His reasons for allowing evil to exist at all. Rather, He calls us to trust Him, and He promises that one day every tear will be wiped away, and that pain and suffering will be no more (Rev 21:4). 

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (James 1:13-15) Why do people blame God for evil? People blame God for evil because they are ignorant that God is just and righteous and abhors evil. People conceive their sinful **** urged on by the Master of lies working on their ‘free will’. When the results are bitter, their fingers don’t point at them, Satan swiftly disappears, but our Omnipresent God is there and it is easy to blame Him.  Does God tempt us with evil? No, because Jesus taught us to pray “lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil…”  Does he tempt sinful people with evil? No, God isn’t a tempter at all. Why does he allow people to sin? People do not consult God and ask for permission to sin. Instead, they give in to their sinful nature. Why does he allow evil to exist at all? As long as Satan exists, evil coexists with him. However, like Job, God might submit us to tests in order to strengthen and confirm us in our faith.

Q2. (James 1:13-15) Why do people blame God for evil? Does God tempt us with evil? Does he tempt sinful people with evil? Why does he allow people to sin? Why does he allow evil to exist at all?

It appears that I myself blame God since I usually tell my wife that the God that has the power to make us what he wants us to be should just do so without allowing me to go through trials in order to become strong in faith. I also feel that he should make a shield round me so that I will not fall into sin.

But one thing I am sure is that God does not tempt any one with evil.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/17/2004 at 1:30 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q2. (James 1:13-15) Why do people blame God for evil? Does God tempt us with evil? Does he tempt sinful people with evil? Why does he allow people to sin? Why does he allow evil to exist at all?

Human nature always seems to show up when accountability shows up!  We don't accept responsibility for our own actions very well.  Our sin nature is active and ready to surface if we don't allow the Holy Spirit free reign in our lives.  We are tempted when our selfish being is allowed to **** and desire over a certain area of our lives.  God gave us FREE WILL.  God doesn't want robots to worship Him.  If we are faithful to Him and desire His presence in our lives we will be able to keep sin at bay and Christ in the forefront of our lives.  Sin has existed every since the heavenly rebellion and God kicked satan out and 2/3's of the angels went with him.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I guess that people blame God for evil because they don’t know who to blame. Since we know that God is everywhere it must be his fault that the evil is on us. God never tempts us with evil. He has allowed sinful people to live with evil but he does not tempted them. To allow people to sin is the free will that He has given us. He may allow evil to exist to refine us.

• 2 weeks later...

Because they don't understand how God works or how come suffering is in this world. They ask the common question how can a good God allow suffering? But they don't realize that through the sin of Adam and Eve that this is the why of suffering's start. It did not start until the fall. Sometimes the path to brokenness for a believer is suffering through suffering we become broken vessels that God's light and love can shine through. Through our experiences we are better able to communicate His love to others. No, it is our sinful nature and desires and **** that cause us to sin. No,they are not His children, and they are of this world and their master is the devil who is the Father of lies. In some instances I believe it is to show that they are not in control of their situation and He uses the situation to discipline them for their actions. Because He has a purpose for them even though they are not following Him.