JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Blaming God

We live in a society where people have done away with accountability. General public doesn't feel responsible for anything or to anyone. People blame God because it's easy to do. This doesn't offend anyone or anything on this earth. People "tolerate" everything that is not of God. God does not tempt; however, he allows his children to be tested. Temptation is rooted from evil. Test is from above.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (1:13-15) Why do people blame God for evil? Does God tempt us with evil? Does he tempt sinful people with evil? Why does he allow people to sin? Why does he allow evil to exist at all?

IF YOU BLAME GOD FOR EVIL THINGS THAT HAPPEN IN THEIR LIVES, WE (BELIEVER) KNOW THAT THEY FIRST OF ALL HAVE NOT READ THEIR BIBLE. GOD IS NOT THE AUTHOR OF EVIL, HE WANT THE BEST FOR EVERYONE. BUT IT IS OUR CHOICE DO RIGHT AND NOT ALLOW SIN INTO OUR LIVES, BECAUSE SIN EQUALS DEATH. GOD DOES NOT TEMPT US WITH EVIL. WE HAVE THE WILL AND TO MAKE CHOICES.

Q2. (1:13-15) Why do people blame God for evil? Does God tempt us with evil? Does he tempt sinful people with evil? Why does he allow people to sin? Why does he allow evil to exist at all?

13 When tempted, no one should say, "God is tempting me." For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does he tempt anyone; 14 but each one is tempted when, by his own evil desire, he is dragged away and enticed. 15 Then, after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, gives birth to death.

We tend to wander away from God and righteousness much the same way Eve wandered away from Adam and ended up eating the fruit of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. 'Wandering' is inherent in our sinful nature. Now granted there are apparent instances where it seems that there was no wandering involved, and people suffer for no apparent reason, but we cannot see or know how many times God has called them away and into his safety before the thing has happened. For example the destruction of Jerusalem in 40 a.d. All of the Jews were called out, but only the ones that responded were saved from that horrible end. The believers who held fast to Christ, chose to listen to his voice and harden not their hearts. A good lesson for us as Christians, both to listen to the voice of God (requiring a close relationship with him) and to share the gospel with those who do not know Him, so that they may be saved, both from an ungodly, needless suffering as a result of ignorance and disobedience in this world, and from loss of eternal life in the next.

Incidentally, those prophets/evangelists in times past, who were martyred for their faith (another example of suffering), chose that death through faith, it did not sneak up on them and catch them by surprise. They were not victims but 'victors'. Often times noted as rejoicing in their trial for the strength and peace of God was upon them as they went forward in faith. That same strength and peace of God to rejoice in trials is also available to you and all who are in this world faced with trials and problems, Christians and non-Christians, and it's up to us to tell them about it.

I think the person who blames God (used to be me) is immature in his/her walk. I know from my own experience I had a tendency to whine and blame others for things that had gone wrong. Taking personal responsibility with regards to evil in my life was the first step. Secondly, when temptation comes - and it will - it is always my choice to act upon it. My sinful nature - is something I must always be on guard to battle - this is where the armor is important to put on every day! I am not sure of the question on why He allows evil to exist - with regards to things such as murder, child abuse - horrid things - but I must remember to always trust in His infinite wisdom...that he will be glorified through it - always.

Blessings

joyful247

If someone blames God for evil they have not studied the bible. God is Good, we chose to sin which causes evil. God don't tempt people with evil.We have free will to do wrong or right.

Why does he allow evil to exist at all? I think because we have choices, so we won't say that he is making us do things.

• 1 month later...

People blame God for evil because they want to try and justify sin. "God created everything so therefore he created evil." Well, that is not true. God's Word says that he in not evil. He is only good, therefore, evil can not come from him.

God does not tempt us but allows the temptation to come to strenghthen us and confirm us in our faith.

God does not tempt sinful people. The evil desires within them is what manifest and causes them to sin.

God allows sin because he gives us freedom to love and a free will to choose. This is to test us and strengthen us and confirm our faith in Him. Without this freedom we would not understand our full dependance on Him.

• 2 weeks later...

I decided I wanted to know what exactly the Bible means by "evil" before I could comment on it. What I found surprised me as I had presumed that the word evil would be used in conjunction with words for Satan or evil spirits. Whilst this is true in some cases, most of the scriptures I found were about disobedience and individual responsibility. Try it, for yourself and use a concordance. Whenever we disobey God we bring evil into the world.

People often blame God for evil because they don't know him. Without studying the Bible and having a personal relationship with God we won't get to know his character and take on board his grace and strength in time of trial. (Ps 139)Sometimes it is only with hindsight that we can see Father's handiwork in our lives. (Matt4:4, Col3:16 Matt6:26)

God does not tempt us with evil as there is no evil in him. Sometimes the temptations and trials we find ourselves in are very much the consequences of our own actions. There have been a few times when I have not obeyed God and he has not always jumped in and rescued me from the mess I've made. So I have learned. Unless we keep our eyes on Jesus we will be easily distracted and will forget that Christianity is a battle. (1Pet5:8) (Heb12:2)

God does not tempt sinful people, (which incedently includes us Christians) as there is no evil in Him.

If God had any other way of dealing with our sin surely he would have done it. Surely he would have not sacrificed Jesus to take the punishment we deserve. The only other way he has of stopping us from sinning is to destroy us as he did in Noah's time.

God allows evil to exist because human beings invited it into the world. Right at the beginning of creation Father told Adam and Eve (Gen1)that they were to "manage" the earth and take care of it. Our responsiblity to the world was one of the first promises. God does not break into our world uninvited. Neither can Satan move until there is permission granted, as with Eve and Adam. The world is ours to take care of. Yet as Christians how much do we appreciate the awsome task God has given us? We are Jesus' body on the earth and how often do we challenge evil amongst within our societies? I have to ask myself what have I done lately to bring good into the lives of people around me or even those who live far away? Do we challenge our politicians when decisions are made that will disadvantage the poor? Even if the 10 Commandments were obeyed, the whole world would change. (Rev3:20, Gal5v18-26, Php2:3) Do we not bother with the mid week prayer meeting as it is not as exciting as the Sunday morning worship? If we want to see evil decreasing in the world then we had all better get serving God in what ever capacity we are able.

• 4 weeks later...

Why do people blame God for evil? Does God tempt us with evil? Does he tempt sinful people with evil? Why does he allow people to sin? Why does he allow evil to exist at all?

When I read these types of questions about why people do what they do...I have to put my name in that spot..and then really get to the heart of it, if I feel that way or not.

So..does Amy blame God for evil? I don't think so. I KNOW who is in charge of evil in this world. Its not God. So then does God tempt me with evil...that is Satan's job. My "flesh" and sinful self can work with Satan more than not. I do have a choice. The Holy Spirit is there to assist me if I call on Him. Why does God allow me to sin, that's like asking why does God give me a choice! I wonder about that a lot. Could God have chosen to just contro me, like robot. Would I want that really? A relationship is what He desire with me and if I don't participate in that relationship than what is the value in it? Does God allow evil to exist? Unfortunately the plan we are living out does lead us through some pretty hard times, choice, and consequences. My goal is to sin less more and more and depend on and really UNDERSTAND how to live in the power I have...given to me by God through his Son to conquer the sin in my life. Does that sound like anyone else?

• 2 weeks later...

I believe that people blame God for evil partly because man has to have some way of trying to justify or figure why things happen in life. And because man is good at not taking responsible of his own actions. Started in the Garden of Eden and it is still going on today.

In no way does God tempt us (or the sinful people) with evil, instead he provides a way of escape. Our temptions come from within ourselves with our own desires and wants.......we see something, we want it, we go after it....we know it is wrong but yet we get carried away.

Man was given free will to act accordingly including sinning. It is our choice to sin or not. God allows evil to exist because again of free will in our lives. We are not robots....simply to say yes or no to sin or evil around us........Part of growing and maturing as a christian is to reconize that evil exsist and lots of times we get hurt in the process by our own sinful thoughts and desires or by other's actions.

I think people blame God for things they don't understand out of fear of the unknown. God created us to worship and love him, but He didn't want an army of "yes-men", incapable of thought. He created us to have imaginations and creativity, which is where many of us get carried away. Imaginations opens the door to evil thoughts, and creating on our own gives us a false sense of independence. It is when we become so full of our own accomplishments that we fail to acknowledge God.

I don't think of temptations as others. We have choices to make and, due to our inflated egos and false independence, we make the wrong choice, on our own. True, there is evil offering bad ideas, but we make the decision. The same as the two year old who wants to touch a pretty, porcelain doll. Mom says no and slaps the hand. The child will repeatedly try to touch the doll, getting hand slapped. After MANY bad decisions, the child learns NOT to touch the doll. We need to learn to seek God in all decisions, before they are made, and listen for His guidance, AND seek God immediately for wisdom of how to correct our bad choices.

I don't think we need the devil to sin. In this day, we can get up and make bad TV, radio, internet, chat, etc... decisions on our own, while the devil takes a long break... to prepare for when he will send an attack on each of us.

I also think evil is allowed to exist to truly show us the beauty of God's love and peace. We probably would not appreciate His goodness as much, without seeing the bad.

• 1 month later...

I believe we tend to blame God for evil because of our ignorance.We take it for granted that God is supposed to watch out for us in what so ever and when something bad happens naturally we turn towards God and blame Him for the mishap. We dont even see the need to address to how much of it is actually our own fault which in my case usually is 100 %. But I was not ready to agree to that earlier and wanted to blame God for that.

I dont think God ever tests us with evil.I think its basically our own choice due to our own desires.

And I think God allow evil to exist to help us appreciate the value of goodness in this world. And He wants us to be able to recognise evil from good and to make the choice depending on Him..He wants us to live like His children.

• 4 weeks later...
I decided I wanted to know what exactly the Bible means by "evil" before I could comment on it...

I really enjoyed your post. I think that it is so true. There are so many people who don't understand the presence of evil and how God does not bring evil things into our lives because He is holy. It is by our own doing that evil is allowed in. I have just recently gotten back into reading my Bible everyday and feeling the presence of the Holy Spirit in my life. It is such a difference what God brings to you compared to what the world brings. I really wonder why I let myself slip away at times. There is so much more to what God has to offer - peace, joy, love, security.

I also agree that we, as Christians, do need to be more vocal in standing up for those less fortunate, those who can't speak up for themselves, and for our own religious freedoms in the current culture war that is happening in our country. If everyone stops standing up for what the Bible says and its truth, we are no different than everyone else.

God bless...

• 5 weeks later...

1) It is impossible to know why a person blames God for evil because no person knows the mind of a man except the spirit to whom the mind belongs. I suppose some might blame God because they don't want to be held to account for their own actions and others may blame God because they perceive that God is in control of all things and others may draw no distinction between God and satan.

2) It is not possible for God to be tempted, nor does He tempt anyone (Ja1:13)

3) God does not tempt sinful people - God does not tempt anyone. (ibid)

4) I am not sure what is meant by "allow." God punishes sinners most severely.

5) God only allows evil to exist for a short time. Perhaps He allows it to exist as long as he does so that His children may perceive how utterly evil evil really is and utterly good He really is by comparison, so that they may repent and be saved from it.

• 4 weeks later...

I believe people blame god because it is easier than blaming yourself. God does not tempt anyone. God allows people to sin because he gave us free will. I think evil is allowed to exist to truly show us the beauty of God's love and peace.

• 2 weeks later...

I think people that blame God for evil really do not understand that God really wants you to be happy and to spend eternity in heaven with him. Sometimes when bad things happen, they are a direct result of choices we have made, (being involved in activities that are not peasing to the Lord) and we know that there are no athiest in foxholes, so if somthing bad has happened it just may be the Lord trying to get your attention to turn away from sin and back to him.

God gives us all free will of choice to live as we want, walk in the light or dark, there are consequences for each choice, I choose the light!

• 2 weeks later...

This topic has always puzzled me...not that I doubt God's goodness. I just don't know how to explain trials in the world. For example, what is it when a strong Christian gets a terminal illness. It is not God tempting the person...is it a test...or is it just a result of sin? If we follow and obey God entirely, can we avoid these types of illnesses? Anyway, this isn't really an answer. Sorry!

• 3 weeks later...

People blame God becasue it is easier to blame someone other than ourselves for our faliures. No, God does not tempt us James 1:13 "God is incabable of being tempted by evil and He Himself tempts no one" He allows people to sin in order to deliver us and strengthen us and to confirm our faith. Sin is inside of us steming form the original sin of Adam. god allows sin in order for us to trust in Him.

• 3 weeks later...

Why do people blame God for evil? Does God tempt us with evil? Does he tempt sinful people with evil? Why does he allow people to sin? Why does he allow evil to exist at all?

I believe people blame God for evil because it is easy to do so. God is in control of everything and is all powerful, so when something bad happens people automatically blame God for this. Like many of you have said, God is not causing these things to happen, but is allowing them to happen. When faced with disaster and tragedy we have two choices, to trust in God to get us through the hard times or not to.

God does not tempt us with evil. Satan tempts us with evil and God allows us to be tempted. We must be tempted in order to grow in faith and trust the Lord. We must constantly pray to God to deliver from evil and not let our temptations give birth to sin. "No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it." - 1 Corinthians 10:13

God allows us to sin because He has given us free will, therefore we have the opportunity with every decision we make to either sin or not. By allowing us to sin, He allows us to learn from our mistakes and turn to Him for guidance, strength, and most importantly forgiveness and grace through Jesus Christ.

I believe He allows evil to exist because its real. When Eve ate from the fruit and then Adam, they allowed sin, therefore evil, to come into the world. I'm not sure that without this evil we would know what was truly good. Can there be good without evil? Can there be sin without evil? Just some thoughts.

Thank you all for all the wonderful posts. I'm learning a great deal from all of them. This Bible study is really making me do some thinking and giving the Lord an opportunity to work on my heart. God Bless you all.

I have heard many people blame God for things that have happened in their life even fellow Christians. I think that sometimes people are brought up from childhood with the notion that while God is the Greatest he is in charge of everything and thus cause everything to happen because he wants it (I don't know I am just talking about personal experience). Thus making it easier to blame God without realising that it is was our choice that might have lead to what might have happened. People have free will and although God places us in scenario's to make certain choices he does not make it for us, we make it ourselves.

• 2 weeks later...

People blame God for evil because it is difficult to comprehend how God, an omnipotent being that wants only the best for us, could allow for bad things to happen.. God created everything in balance.. Man and Woman, youth and age, good and evil.. You cannot have any of one without the other.. As humans we have free will and often make choices that allow for evil to take root and ind it's way into our lives.. when things that are bad or evil happen, it is not God's fault, but the balance of the universe.. Life is not fair and we cannot begin to understand His plan.. People blame God because it's easy.. he's not here to answer our questions, He doesn't stand before us and explain things so it's often easier to blame him than to just accept that, in this world, there is good and evil.. and we will probably experience both in our lifetime..

God does not tempt us.. He allows us to encounter temptations, much as he allows us to undergo trials.. By encountering temptations, we either stand up to them and strengthen our character or we give in, face consequences and eventually learn from our mistakes..

Everyone is sinful so saying He tempts sinful people, is to say He tempts everyone.. and God doesn't tempt.. Satan, through our own sinful desires that are in opposition to God's will, tempts us..

God created us with free will.. we would be Stepford Humans if we all acted perfectly in accordance to His will.. We can choose the right path, but as we are sinners, we will stumble and make mistakes.. In many ways, this brings us closer to God.. If we made no mistakes, if we did not sin, we wouldn't need God, we wouldn't need Christ's grace or salvation.. Evil is subjective.. people can be evil but trials and tribulations are not.. a car crash is not evil.. a disease is not evil.. people's actions are evil.. those who act with evil and malice in their hearts, if they do not repent and find God's grace will suffer an eternity of separation from God's redeeming grace.. trials and tribulations increase our dependence on God.. Through him, all things are possible..

* People will always compare with Job and say that we are tempted by god. True is God will not do evil

* No

* We are tempted by our own evil desire

I believe it is easier to blame anyone but ourselves. God does not tempt us, this does not mean he does not allow us to be tempted. We are created with a free-will. Sinful people are also choosing to do what they do. If we were not allowed to choose good over evil would we have still be agents of free-will. I truly believe that we are drawn away by our own lusts whatever it may be. If thre was no darkness would we have a need for light?

I agree with a lot of the other posts on this forum when they say that it is easier to "blame" than to take responsibility.

When we have raised our children and they go off into the world, are we therefore responsible for the evil that they will be faced with in life. Are we, as parents, tempting them? Of course not - we raise them to make good choices and know right from wrong, but there comes a time when they have to be responsible for their actions and choices. It is the same with God. He doesn't tempt us, but we are tempted. He gave us free will. What we do with it, and how we grow and mature is our responsibility.

If there was no evil, no trials, no temptation, we would be shallow people indeed.

• 1 month later...

People blame God because they don't see fault in themselves they don't take responsibility for their own actions, as it is written for God cannot be tempted by evil nor does he tempt anyone, temptation comes from our own evil desires. God allowed evil into the world thus being part of our free will. God allowed the possibility of evil into the world we did the rest.

• 1 month later...

PEOPLE BLAME GOD FOR EVIL WHEN THEY DONT UNDERSTAND THE NATURE AND CHARACTER OF GOD. GOD IS GOOD ALL THE TIME; OUR CIRCUMSTANCES MAY NOT BE GOOD ALL THE TIME, BUT HE IS.GOD WILL NEVER TEMPT US WITH EVIL BUT RATHER PROVIDE A WAY OF ESCAPE WHEN WE ARE TEMPTED, IF WE RUN TO HIM.GOD DOESNT EVEN TEMPT SINFUL PEOPLE; THEY SIN BECAUSE IT'S THEIR NATURE TO DO SO UNTIL THET TRULY MAKE JESUS LORD OF THEIR LIVES AND TURN FROM THEIR WICKED WAYS.MAN HAS A FREE WILL AND AS A RESULT MAN HAS A CHOICE TO SIN.BEFORE MAN FELL IN THE GARDEN, LUCIFER HAD A CHOICE TO SERVE THE LIVING GOD BECAUSE EVEN THE ANGELS HAD A FREE WILL. HE CHOSE TO REBEL AGAINST GOD AND WHEN HE FELL, HE SEDUCED ADAM AND EVE TO REBEL, BUT THEY HAD A FREE WILL ALSO. THEY CHOSE TO LISTEN TO THE SERPENT INSTEAD OF A LOVING GOD, AND SIN CAME INTO THE WORLD AND WITH IT, EVIL AND ALL ITS TEMPTATIONS...GOD BLESS..