JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Doublemindedness

Trials cure us of "doublemindedness" because we go to GOD. Often times during a trial we will try to figure a way out or go to a human when we should go directly to the only One Who can bring us through the trial.

Trials help us grow in faith because we spend more time in prayer and seeking the face of our Lord and Savior. When He brings us through the trial we love Him more.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How do trials cure us of "doublemindedness"? How do trials help us grow in faith?

Trials teach us to turn to Jesus for strength. Without Him we cannot handle even the everyday problems that come our way, let alone "trials". But with His strength, we can handle anything that comes our way. The more faith we have in Him, the more peace we have, no matter what the circumstance. Because we know that God is in control and the battle has already been won. We are just waiting for the final curtain to come down. He told us that we would have problems and that the world would hate us because it first hated him. He told us this so that we would not be surprised when it happened. And we can count it as our gain when it does happen because we are then sharing with Christ!

To the first part, I think Brian said it all, Trails do not cure our doublemindedness, How we respond to them is the cure

The second was how do trails help us grow in faith

Im thinking about Joni Erikson Tada and the trails she go's thru every day. She shared of her experience's of going to healing meetings

with the hope that GOD would heal her and she said one time she could not wait to get back home so she could pray and ask GOD why

and she was not ready for the answer she received, which was linked somewhat to what the LORD told Peter when He ask about John

He said, why does that concern you, YOU follow me!!! WOW

Life is full of experience's and adversity and something i think Chuck Swindall (spelled wrong) said was that you do not learn by experience but by confrontation experience. Thats why it is so important for the believer's of YESHUA to not forsake the time they spend together because

we all face trails and we need to bond as a family and the mature are to confront the young in faith and make sure they have the right understanding of scripture. Chuck used the illustration of learning to play the piano. The teacher ,over and over confronts the student and corrects him and thru it all he learns the right way to do it.

Scripture says there is no temptation or trail that is not common to man and for sure there is nothing new under the sun. We all face life the same way,(one day at a time) and we all overcome adversity the same way. By reading the instructions and following them B)

God points out to us through James that our hearts need to believe in order to receive answers to our prayers. It's like when you pray for rain and you walk out of the house without an umbrella. Are expecting God to answer with rain or did you pray for rain because everyone else is praying for the same thing.

God says if you ask Him for wisdom then you will get it abundantly as long as you believe. So when you pray expect God to answer the prayers. Don't be double minded. Believe in what you are praying for.

At least that's what I get out of the text.

Q3. (1:5-8) How do trials help cure us of "doublemindedness"? How do trials help us grow in faith?

Doubleminded is wavering between believing God or rejecting him. Trials put us in the position of having to "fish or cut bait"--either we will believe what God has said and trust Him or we will reject Him.

Trials help us to grow in faith by putting us in a position where we have to trust Him--and each time we trust Him we grow stronger--and become more mature. There is an old song that says, in part: If I never had a problem, how could I know that He would solve them..." We gain strength from small trials to be able to stand during the large ones.

Q3. (1:5-8) How do trials help cure us of "doublemindedness"? How do trials help us grow in faith?

For me, "doublemindedness" means wanting to live for God and still live in the world. I beleive God allows trials into our lives to draw us closer to Him and to get us to rely on Him. It is when we truly "let go and let God" that we begin to experience His awesomeness and holiness and develop that close personal relationship that He so desires for us. Each trial, if taken to God, results in spiritual growth and increases our faith in Him and that we're not in this alone. :D

l. Trials bring us back to ground zero where we can throw

off our preconcieved ideas and examine just what God

has allowed to happen in our lives for His honour and glory

2.Trials help us to grow and mature as followers of Christ

Trials take away the dross from our lives and cause us

to more fervently call upon the Lord in our distress.

Doublemindedness comes when you are so engrossed in the problem that you forget about God. After struggling you realize that the only answer is God and you should have gone there in the first place.

Now I am no advocate of trials (especially since I'm in the middle of them) however, they are important. I was on another web site and they quoted a Stephen Curtis Chapman song.

I may not see in front of me, But I can see for miles around when I look over my shoulder, and Lord, it`s clear. You`ve brought me here, So faithful every step of the way. What can I do but follow you, For You are the Way, the Truth, the Life, And You`ve promised never to leave me, My Savior, my friend, From beginning to end.

I Am Found In You by Steven Curtis Chapman

I mean, how right is that. If I think of all He has delivered me from, all He has forgiven me for and all the things He has conquered through me and in me, How can I be doubleminded anymore?

Cure for double-mindeness. We become double-minded when we shift from trust in God to distrust, This will fetch us no where. What i need to do is to place all my trust in him. I can trust him 100% because he is my Papa. Papa of the most wonderful kind. He will never ever let me down. So good he is. I can and must trust him. Is'nt easy to trust a Papa like HIM? I sure do.

MY OPINION ON THE FIRST QUESTION.

THE WORD CURE IS USED, FOR ME

I MUCH RATHER USE THE WORD HELP

THE REASON IS BECAUSE THE MOMENT

I THINK I AM CURE, IT IS THE MOMENT

THAT I AM READY TO FALL BIG TIME

USING THE WORD HELP, HELPS ME TO DEAL

WITH MY DOUBLEMINDEDNESS, SEEM

MORE APROPIATE FOR ME

I NEED THIS FELLOWSHIP TO STAY FOCUS

IN WHAT IS GOD'S PURPOSE FOR ME, I MUST

DO HIS WILL ENTUSIASTICALLY AND WITHOUT

ANY THOUGHTS OF "NOT NOW", " LEAVE THIS FOR

LATER" BUT INSTEAD, RIGHT NOW LIVE IN THE MOMENT

THE GIFT OF LIFE THAT GOD GIVES ME SO FREELY

WHATEVER I DO FOR OTHERS IS TO HONOR GOD

AND TO THANK HIM FOR THE OPORTUNITY.

I UNDERSTAND THAT TRIALS ARE FOR THE HUMAN BEING

TO GET FROM POINT A TO POINT B UNDER GOD'S

GUIDENCE, DIRECTION AND COMAND, FOR THIS I HAVE

TO READ THE WORD, PRAY, MEDITATE AND DEDICATE

QUITE TIME SO GOD HELPS ME TO LIVE SUCCSESSFULLY

AND DEDICATE MY BODY, MY MIND, MY STRENGTH AND

MY SOUL TO THE FATHER OF THE HEAVENLY LIGHTS.

IF I ACCEPT THE MOMENT THAT MY TRIALS COME

GOD GIVES ME STRENGHT AND WISDOM SO I CAN

DEAL WITH THEM, IF I DO NOT ACCEPT THEM AS MINE

I BECOME A TRAITOR TO THE CROSS AND THIS IS THE

LAST THING I WANT TO DO. RATHER DIE.

THIS IS HOW STRONG I FEEL ABOUT MY ROLE

GOD HAS SAVE ME TO DO HIS WILL AND I AM WILLING AMEN.

MY GOD RICHLY BLESS YOU.

Through enduring trials we become more "complete in Christ"(James1v4).

We begin to understand truth from error, we learn to be single-minded (Philippians3v12-14) thus avoiding the pitfalls of doublemindedness.

Our faith through trials become strong, firm and stable.

Our walk in Christ grow in confidence and we become established

in our faith (1 Peter 1v6,7; Colossians 2v6,7).

Trials, otherwise known as the "testing of our faith", produces patience. Other connotations for patience might be perseverance, consistency, rigorousness, determination, constancy, even doggedness. In other words trials are what produces maturity, strength, confronting faith, ruggedness, intimacy with God and therefore knowledge of God, rocklike solidarity. You can't get these qualities without trials. If life is easy all the time, there's no meat to chew on, nothing to overcome, no way of knowing who is our God without challenge. Trials make us face our weakness and seek God's strength, face our ignorance and ask God's help. This way we contend with the real issues of life. This way we might search for Truth. Without trials we don't "need" God. Our hearts deceive us. We are "self-sufficient". Through trials we experience the power of the "Most High". We learn some facts of life! We cannot sit in indecision because we realise the need to overcome, to achieve, to learn fast. We become more aware of the frailty of human nature in general, and of other people's issues. We find we are not islands but part of each other. We become less doubleminded about God, His Word and Truth. We see llife more acutely. COMPASSION becomes a possibility. Thus. if we see what trials can do for us we may learn to value them, even to rejoice in them, "allowing God to steer the ship," because Jesus has already overcome for us. There is also the possibility of finding God's PEACE which can only happen through a trial. We may also be motivated to ask for WISDOM, and receive it. So we grow closer to our Father, and are less easily blown about by every wind. We gain experience to put in our mental databases. We become less easily led, more aware of who we are, of others and of our complete dependence on the Almighty.

The more of this life experience we have, the more we see the need of wisdom. His foolishness is higher than the wisdom of man, and we are certain of His wisdom. We mature and start to see how it fits together as we study the Word. We develop great confidence in the Word. Our faith becomes established in HIim. For us there is no other place for it! Our life is "built on the rock"-solid foundation of Jesus Christ. What ever comes, we are at peace, for He has it all in hand!

How do trials help cure us of "doublemindedness"?

With every trial comes a trial of our faith . . . as we self examine and reach out to God, obeying Him and live within the kingdom principles . . . our faith increases and double mindedness fades.

How do trials help us grow in faith?

They help us to draw close to God, especially in communication through prayer

To me trials are God's way of getting our attention. I know that when I get complacent and life is going good it's too easy for me not to have God in the forefront. I get involved in what I am doing and just go through life as though I'm the conductor of it. To me, that's doublemindedness. I know who's in control of my life but I take the driver's seat anyway.

Only through daily bible study, prayer and communion with other Christians can I put God first. But when I slide away from these things, God does need to get my attention to bring me back to Him. During those trials, I cry out to the Lord in anquish at times, very well aware that I shouldn't have walked away in the first place. Through close connection with the Lord I have peace. Unfortunately, it's at those times when I'm closest to Him that Satan will do anything to distract me. And sometimes I fall. I thank God for loving me so much that He will do anything to remind me that He is there. I still have free will. I can still see Him and walk away, but nevertheless, He loves me enough to cause me to reach out to Him whether it be in love or anquish--through communion with Him or through trials. He never leaves me--ever.

It's like Einstein's theroy of insanity. To think you can do the same thing over and over again, and expect a different result. To think that you can out smart or out think sin is the same idea. Trials are allowed to show that this is not true. Faith in God is the only way.

We learn that once we put our faith in God, we learn that nothing is in impossible.

I believe that when we go through trails before we find Christ we tend to feel sorry for ourselfs and find excuses or blame to get us through these trials. When you have Christ in our lives you know you have His great big hands to hold onto you while you are going through it and when it's over you realize how much He is needed and find the comfort you would not find without Him, then the next time you go through the trail you approach it in a different light. To look to Christ when going through our trials helps us to grow closer to Him and less to looking to ourselves.

Double mindedness comes from asking God for help and/or wisdom during our trials, and then not acting as though we have received from Him. We need to have complete faith that, when we've asked, He will give it to us ~ it's a promise from Him. When we have faith that God will supply us with wisdom in any situation, then fear and worry can be released. When we've come through trials and see what He's done for us and how He has carried us through, it gives us something to look back on when the next trial comes. I agree with an earlier response that didn't like the word 'cure' doublemindedness. I think faith is a process and we gradually come to rely on Him more and more as we see His faithfulness in our lives on a continual basis. Our faith grows each time God brings us through a trail and brings us to the other side.

I picture doublemindedness as being like a fork in the road. I start down one path for awhile, then I turn around, come back, and start down the other path, come back, and on and on, never making progress and never getting anywhere.

Trials force us to make a choice. Choices have consequences. If I choose the faith path I will not be walking alone because I know that God will be with me. If I choose the other path (anything other than faith) or if I choose to do nothing I will miss out on what God has prepared for me.

Trials bring us to this place: Choose you today who you will serve!

Our sins get in the way of our relationship, closeness with the Lord. Until we surrender and ask the Lord help us with our evil strongholds....our doubleminded nature will exist. We may act holy but our heart is unholy. So because of God's love for us....he forces it out with trials. Forcing us as his children to only be able to rely on Him... and in our search for help...after we've tried it our way....He magnifys the things that is in the way of our spiritural growth. Through this difficult testing (I am a witness to the difficulty!!) we are able to become of one mind...single minded....in our love for Him!

Trials help us admit or identify the part or parts that are sinful, wrong and then we can repent. We come to the point where the rubber hit the road or hit rock bottom that we have to sumit to God and resist Satan. The Words says when we do this that satan will flee. Our mind should be on God. When we are victorious in our trials and we remain faithful, God is glorified. We also grow spiritually. We need to keep our mind stayed on Jesus.

Q3. (1:5-8) How do trials help cure us of "doublemindedness"?

I think trials move you from believing in God to believing God. There's a big difference. Even satan believes in God but he doesn't believe God or he wouldn't be trying to disrupt and destroy God's people, because if he believed God he would know he had already lost.

So many Christians say I believe in God, but when push comes to shove and some crisis developes they try to help God fix the problem. My thoughts are that's doublemindedness.

It's when that crisis arises and you don't just believe in God but you actually believe God and stand on his Word, no matter the outcome that you gain new armor. It's crucifying the flesh and trusting in God's will that he knows what's best for us that moves us away from doublemindedness.

How do trials help us grow in faith?

Practice makes perfect. We are to be striving for perfection (maturity) and each time we practice our faith by standing on God's Word as it says in Romans 8:28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are called according to his purpose, and accept the outcome as God's will that our faith grows.

When we go through a trial, it will either streghten us or break us. If we keep our minds on Christ and what he has done for us its hard to choose to do the wrong things. Staying in prayer and reading his word will help our faith to grow :D

Something I've observed about the Bible, Scriptures, Word of God is that there is marked division in many different situations. We simply cannot do a little of God's way and a little of Man's way and expect everything to come out "right". To me, to do so develops double-mindedness and unnecessary trials. When you go through trials, where do you turn for solutions? From personal experience, my way leads to more trials. :blink: When I humbly come before God with a heart that is ready to hear and obey, I come from those trials completely renewed and stronger in my relationship with my Lord and a happier person. The Lord chastises those he loves.....boy, does he LOVE me!! LOL! :o:lol: Seriously, God wants me out of those trials even more than I do, I just know it as his mercy is so evident during my tribulations. :wub: